Author Topic: RIP Allan Holdsworth  (Read 1293 times)

Offline goo-goo

RIP Allan Holdsworth
« on: April 16, 2017, 12:53:23 PM »
Generational talent. RIP

Online The Letter M

Re: RIP Allan Holdsworth
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »
Holy crap... I just saw Andy Tillison post about this. Wow. I'm not too deep into his work but I know his name, have heard UK, and know that he's a big deal. Rest In Peace, Allan... :'(

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 01:24:17 PM »
What the fuck

Nooo
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 02:42:10 PM »
Didn't get around to check out his music that much but I knew him by name and knew his been a big inspiration to alot of famous musicians.

RIP
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 02:47:15 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 02:55:16 PM »
Much like others that have posted, I wasn't deeply into his music, but I admired his talent and impact on the instrument. In fact, when I had my Carvin built in the mid 2000's, I paid extra to have his signature pickups put into the guitar because I always thought that his tone was fantastic.

RIP
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 04:23:05 PM »
Saw him in Somerville at the now defunct Johnny D's, with Virgil Donati at the drums. Cool stuff. Somewhat over my head, but still cool.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 04:42:35 PM »
RIP

One of the best guitarists.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »
Didn't get around to check out his music that much but I knew him by name and knew his been a big inspiration to alot of famous musicians.

RIP

Ditto.   Heard about him way back in the 80's when EVH used to regularly mention him as a genius in his interviews.  Bought an album or two but never properly checked them (or his other material) out.  Was probably a bit "full on" for me back then in my teens.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 07:04:10 PM »
What the fuck!?  Oh man, what awful news.

This guy was an absolute mastermind on the guitar.  I only own a best of and Metal Fatigue but what he dispalyed on those was sensational. 

Watching this guy play is just mindblowing, such a loss.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bundy

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 09:13:37 PM »
A true master of his instrument. RIP
Listening to Gong's Gazeuse right now.  :hefdaddy

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 02:14:29 AM »
Fuck it! Such a great guitarist! RIP, Sir.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 08:43:47 AM »

RIP

Ditto.   Heard about him way back in the 80's when EVH used to regularly mention him as a genius in his interviews.  Bought an album or two but never properly checked them (or his other material) out.  Was probably a bit "full on" for me back then in my teens.

Pretty much me, too.  If Eddie VH is impressed, I guess I should be too.  I just bought the new UK box, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.  Maybe I'll get to that this weekend.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 09:48:55 AM »
So I can't link on my phone but there's s story on the MSN homepage about there was a GoFund (or whatever it's called) set up to pay for his funeral. Did he die poor?

I don't know the circumstances but ....
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 10:25:58 AM »
So I can't link on my phone but there's s story on the MSN homepage about there was a GoFund (or whatever it's called) set up to pay for his funeral. Did he die poor?

I don't know the circumstances but ....

Pretty much. Allan didn't make much money off music (my understanding from reading an AH FB group). He left 3 daughters and a granddaughter. Apparently, this next chapter of his musician/touring life was for him to save up for retirement (a box set was just released and some shows were lining up).

The family stopped the GoFundMe campaign at around 110k.