Author Topic: The UFO Thread-Pete Way RIP  (Read 35324 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 25, 2017, 11:03:31 AM »
TAC, check that out.  It's really good.   Mellow, but good.    If I recall, Temple Of The Dog did a Mad Season song when I saw them in MSG.

I just did. It's ok. Would much rather hear Phil Mogg on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »
Saw UFO and Saxon last night in Philly at the TLA, Awesome show. Saxon was great Biff hasn't lost any of his vocal power after all these years, it was the first time I ever saw Saxon and they delivered. pretty enthusiastic crowd for their set, which was great to see. Most of the crowd definitely did not want to miss these guys and it was apparent.

Both front men displayed some great stage banter and English humor, especially Phil Mogg from UFO. Blistering set of hits from UFO and they killed it. Sounded great. Awesome show, crowd was into the UFO set from the opening note and they got more and more into it with each song. Was really great to see and the band looked very receptive to the crowd reaction and seemed to really be having a great time.

If you get the chance, I don't know how many shows are left on this North American run, but do yourself a favor and go see this one!  :metal   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2017, 08:27:49 AM »
Went to the show in Worcester, but left before UFO..long story...babysitter, long ride home, etc..

As much as I love UFO and Phil Mogg, I lived.  I really wanted to Saxon. Last time I saw them was 1988. I'll post pics in the Hard Rock thread today.

Anyone check out their cover album, The Salentino Cuts? I must say I was not excited for this. Why on earth would UFO do this, I have no idea. Do we really need cover versions of Break On Through? It's My Life?

The only tracks I really enjoyed were Paper In Fire and Too Rolling Stoned.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #213 on: October 01, 2017, 10:30:06 AM »
Went to the show in Worcester, but left before UFO..long story...babysitter, long ride home, etc..

As much as I love UFO and Phil Mogg, I lived.  I really wanted to Saxon. Last time I saw them was 1988. I'll post pics in the Hard Rock thread today.

Anyone check out their cover album, The Salentino Cuts? I must say I was not excited for this. Why on earth would UFO do this, I have no idea. Do we really need cover versions of Break On Through? It's My Life?

The only tracks I really enjoyed were Paper In Fire and Too Rolling Stoned.

I played some of it on Spotify yesterday. If not for Vinnie Moore I wouldn't have bothered. It was how you would expect and with a fairly bland batch of old standards it's not very exciting. Enjoyed Vinnie tjough.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #214 on: October 01, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »
Even after all this time, this still seems like an odd band for Vinnie to be in.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #215 on: March 25, 2018, 09:26:06 AM »
Been following along Stadler's Michael Schenker thread, which inspired me to pull out old UFO and MSG albums.

I know he and Mogg had a stormy relationship,  but i feel like Schenker was underappreciated by them while he was in the band. Almost as if he were in the band, but just not quite. I'm sure it had something to do with being the lone Teuton in a band of Brits...but I find the album cover for Obsession to be quite telling.

Anyhow, I've been listening to my UFO Official Live Bootleg boxset, which has a bunch of discs from both the Schenker and Chapman eras. I like the tunes on the Chapman studio albums well enough but when I play these live discs side by side, holy shit! Chapman couldn't hold Schenker's jockstrap! Since it seems that Chapman couldn't handle the extended live jams  that Schenker did, I love how they resorted to playing snippets of Zeppelin riffs instead.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2018, 09:45:43 AM »
I know he and Mogg had a stormy relationship,  but i feel like Schenker was underappreciated by them while he was in the band. Almost as if he were in the band, but just not quite. I'm sure it had something to do with being the lone Teuton in a band of Brits...but I find the album cover for Obsession to be quite telling.

Schenker was definitely underappreciated. He was very serious while the other guys were really immature. It would always be their tragic flaw. Plus Schenker was younger.
Schenker likes playing lead over a rhythm track, so one thing they did do for him was hire a 5th member. They brought in keyboardist Danny Peyronel for No Heavy Petting, but ultimately it wasn't heavy enough. He preferred someone who could also play rhythm guitar, so they brought in Paul Raymond.

As Lights Out broke in America, it really freaked Schenker out. He was never driven by being famous. I have always felt that if the leadership within the band were stronger (read:not a bunch of clowns), Schenker may have had that "shoulder to lean on". If Steve Harris, and not Pete Way, was the bassist, maybe Schenker never bolts.

I think Schenker is enigmatic for sure, but in may ways, I can't blame him for jumping off what was increasingly becoming a rudderless ship.

Anyhow, I've been listening to my UFO Official Live Bootleg boxset, which has a bunch of discs from both the Schenker and Chapman eras. I like the tunes on the Chapman studio albums well enough but when I play these live discs side by side, holy shit! Chapman couldn't hold Schenker's jockstrap! Since it seems that Chapman couldn't handle the extended live jams  that Schenker did, I love how they resorted to playing snippets of Zeppelin riffs instead.

This is a GREAT box set.

When I hear people say they prefer the Chapman Era to the Schenker Era, it just feels like they are romanticising some era of their youth. Other than The Wild The Willing And The Innocent, which is a Top 3 UFO album for me, the other three Chapman albums are quite uneven and you can fell the fractures within the band.

But live, Chapman couldn't hold Schenker's water in those days. I mean, he'll never be able to, but those tours were heroin and booze filled jaunts. But what I do love about the Chapman shows is that it is brash bad boy guitar playing.

Chapman's playing on the two Waysted albums he played on is much better.

Which actually leads me to this....
Last year I made a Chapman Era mix CD and a Moore Era mix CD. Now I will say that the Vinnie Moore Era has been very disappointing. They have basically become a heavier version of The Rolling Stones, BUT, I'll take the Top 12-15 Moore Era tracks over the Top 12-15 Chapman Era tracks.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #217 on: March 25, 2018, 10:11:50 AM »
Even after all this time, this still seems like an odd band for Vinnie to be in.

He’s probably my favourite guitarist but he hasn’t brought anything to UFO. The Moore albums have been pretty bland and the first one had recycled riffs from Vinnie solo albums, but the instrumentals were miles better.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #218 on: March 26, 2018, 08:54:01 AM »
I didn't say this before, but I have a new appreciation for Schenker's playing after seeing him live, but there's also the undeniable feeling that he's an odd guy.   Obviously that's not an informed statement, as I've never met him or spoke to him but it was just...   I get that bands don't have to be friends, and I certainly get that being in a band on tour is a business first, but it just seemed... odd.   

On stage, he came out first and came to the mic to say something like "Hello, I am lead guitarist, Michael Schenker!" During the show, there was almost ZERO interaction with the other members of the band (though the singers would congregate in the center of the stage, in a line like it was a Live Aid singalong).   Then after the show there were two busses out front of the venue, and Gary Barden was in one, and Bonnet, McAuley, McKenna and Glenn were in the other (I didn't see what bus Doogie got on) and supposedly Michael was the first one out the venue and into a cab to go god knows where.  I spoke to Barden, Glen and McKenna.   It was McKenna's birthday, so the discussion with him was all about that.  Glen was nice enough, but some fan kept pestering him to tell him what village in Scotland he was from ("I'm from Edinburgh"; "I know, Chris, but what VILLAGE?" Even when Chris told him, he kept asking, it was weird).   He said a couple things that sort of gave the indication that this was fun, and it was good to be a part of, but with it's difficulties.   I've already said that Doogie looked almost like he wanted to cry, and as nice as Gary was, even he seemed weary of it. I actually asked him how many more dates and if he was enjoying it, and he said "about 20" and that he was enjoying it, but then he changed the topic to the weather (I shit you not).   

It seems to me that for whatever reason, the controversy and drama surrounds Michael.  I don't at all think that's a coincidence. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: March 26, 2018, 03:53:56 PM »
Well, except the only controversy and drama that surrounded Schenker was when he left UFO.

...and when he rejoined, and when he left, and when he rejoined, and then when he left again in 1998.  ;D

I mean, he's enigmatic for sure, but I don't recall anyone really having issues with him. He has gone through a ton of band members over the years, but I read an interview with him and it's comes down to keeping people on the payroll rather that "issues".

Stadler, you mention the lack of interaction, and Bravewords reviewed a show where they said the same thing. When I saw him, I'm not sure I felt that way. He went to McKenna's riser a number of times, and he was certainly warm enough with his vocalists. Still, he kind of maintains his own space. Thankfully, I knew what side of the stage he is on, and bought my seats accordingly. He maybe once went to the other side of the stage. As a fan, I'd find that aggravating, but I didn't see any issues within the band. They all actually looked like they really enjoying themselves.

And then there's Doogie, who totally gives off the vibe that he is not into this retro thing. And I can't blame him. These last couple Schenker albums he's done with Doogie have been his best since the 80's.

But no argument here on Schenker being an oddball. But he finally, and I''m talking for most of this decade, he finally seems happy and comfortable with his place.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #220 on: March 26, 2018, 04:12:20 PM »
Have you read the stuff Schenker has been saying about his brother recently? Certainly no love lost there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #221 on: March 26, 2018, 04:22:10 PM »
Have you read the stuff Schenker has been saying about his brother recently? Certainly no love lost there.

"My sister said to me Rudolf is a greedy wanker - it raised concern and when they approached me with a 2015 Scorpions re-issue of Lovedrive and presented a completely false bio for the album I was very disappointed. They lied about everything. I was the one who helped them out and opened the doors for America for the Scorpions. It wasn't them helping me. I had a contract for Lovedrive as a sixth member of the band, there should have been a picture in there of me, they should have mentioned I wrote the intro to "Holiday" and the song "Coast To Coast", which I gave my writing credits to Rudolf. Why does Rudolf play a black and white guitar? Why does he dye his hair white? Rudolf was pretending to be me. Do you think Rudolf gives anybody his share in songwriting? Rudolf Schenker is a desperate wannabe who rips his brother off. Rudolf cannot play guitar believe me."

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNX_gYyVxng

At 2:13 ish..."what was the point?" :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #222 on: March 26, 2018, 04:26:53 PM »
Christmas must be fun round their place 😀

Offline jammindude

« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2018, 04:42:00 PM »
Michael has always come across as the wanker to me. He seems to always be the one bitching about something or someone.

I haven’t followed him that closely, but his public image kinda puts him on the same level as Yngwie.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2018, 05:04:40 PM »
How so? He's doesn't have the reputation of being difficult to work with. I mean, he and Phil Mogg have a love/hate relationship, but that's about it, as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure when Michael Schenker has ever come off as a wanker. Enigmatic, for sure. Wanker? Nah.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #225 on: March 26, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
How so? He's doesn't have the reputation of being difficult to work with. I mean, he and Phil Mogg have a love/hate relationship, but that's about it, as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure when Michael Schenker has ever come off as a wanker. Enigmatic, for sure. Wanker? Nah.

Maybe wanker is the wrong word.   Maybe I'm misinformed, but I have gotten the impression that he is incredibly difficult to work with.  Have you seen the list of musicians who have been in MSG?   And how many of those musicians have LLLLOOONNNGGGG tenures in the band?     But I've always heard that he was a real jerk who was always whining about how Rudy was more popular than he was.    But again, maybe I'm misinformed.   But I always got the feeling he really resents Rudolf very deeply....and that it was more Michael's sour grapes than Rudy's actually shafting him.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2018, 06:40:14 PM »
Like I said, the number of members often comes down to steady work and payroll issues. He has spoken about that.

He's not difficult in the way that Yngwie is, where people come away from him thinking he's a jerk. Just the opposite in fact.

Michael has had his share of personal issues, but being a jerk or an egomaniac isn't one of them.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #227 on: March 27, 2018, 03:33:18 AM »
Yeah, I'd have to think that if he was really that difficult then his current tour never could have happened. Can you imagine getting four different lead singers on board, and the rest of the band are all former members from various points in the band's career. No way that happens if he's a difficult person to work with. On the contrary, the show that they're touring with takes a ton of cooperation with everyone involved.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: March 27, 2018, 08:55:29 AM »
Again, I have no inside information, but the guys on stage were having a blast.  Chris Glen was like a kid at Christmas, no shit.  The only one that didn't seem thrilled was Doogie and TAC spoke to that.  I don't get "difficult", but I do get "odd".   No judgment from that, people are who people are, but it takes a certain kind of psyche - as we all know too well from our host band - to be a "constant" celebrity, and I don't think Michael has that.

I think TAC has it exactly right; he's got his share of personal issues, but it's not "jerk" or "egomaniac", which Yngwie certainly is; he didn't interact much with his band either, but his band was pushed literally into the corner of the stage - seriously - and Yngwie had literally 80% of the stage - including center stage - all to himself.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #229 on: March 27, 2018, 10:30:09 AM »
I think Schenker's lack of ego, for a lack of a better word, has worked against him in his entire body of work. If anything, he has catered too much to a band format, or a songwriting format.

If he had simply made guitar "hero" (not a reference to the video game) albums, he'd kill almost everybody. Just live, watching him play Let Sleeping Dogs Lie, or Save Yourself, it totally showcases his talent.
Even listening to his modern solos, he is constantly tinkering with sounds, yet he continues to maintain his defining sense of melody and style.

Yeah, I'd have to think that if he was really that difficult then his current tour never could have happened. Can you imagine getting four different lead singers on board, and the rest of the band are all former members from various points in the band's career. No way that happens if he's a difficult person to work with. On the contrary, the show that they're touring with takes a ton of cooperation with everyone involved.

Even though on stage, he kind of keeps to himself, I felt nothing but a sense of graciousness emitting from him for both the audience, as well as the band.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2018, 08:59:09 AM »
I agree with TAC's last point; it was a fan friendly show, no doubt, though it was more the singers and Chris Glen (who did most of the introducing and talking).

It is amazing to me how distinctive Michael's sound really is.  I never really realized it until recently.   I pretty much think  he's one of about eight or ten guys I can tell right away who it is.   That's no small feat these days.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: March 29, 2018, 09:22:55 AM »
I put on Lights Out this morning when I got to the office...background music, you know.

I literally can't work. I just sit mesmerized just as if I was that sixteen-year-old kid again hearing it for the first time. Nevison's production was perfect for UFO. Lush and high quality but the heaviness shows through when needed...and I know I'm sounding like a broken record but that touch of echo he put on Michael's lead sound is just too tasty.

I love the flow of side one particularly. A bouncy rocker to start, the brilliant Just Another Suicide for contrast, the heart-wrenching ballad of Try Me then on to the fast acid rock of Lights Out.

Gotta go, side two is starting!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2018, 12:55:44 PM »
I agree with TAC's last point; it was a fan friendly show, no doubt, though it was more the singers and Chris Glen (who did most of the introducing and talking).

It is amazing to me how distinctive Michael's sound really is.  I never really realized it until recently.   I pretty much think  he's one of about eight or ten guys I can tell right away who it is.   That's no small feat these days.

I can’t tell who any of the new guitarists are by listening. They do all sound the same. Tones on tap these days - no one has to come up with their own.

And Schenker always so7nds l8ke Schenker

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #234 on: April 15, 2019, 02:28:44 PM »
So Paul Raymond passed away the other day. I finally have a chance to post on it.

My 8th Grade school year is '81-'82. At that time, I was already very into hard rock. The big bands at the time were AC/DC, Van Halen, and Rush. I also discovered Def Leppard's High n Dry during this time, which is a pivotal album for me.

But one song in particular always stopped me dead in my tracks when I heard it on the radio. It was a hard rock tune, but it was also backed up by an elegant brilliance. To me, this song, On And On, by The Michael Schenker Group is about as close to a perfect song as I've ever heard.

As soon as I heard those airy keyboards setting the mood, it filled me with anticipation. The fluttering keyboards behind the chorus was breathtaking, and its sound was an addictive drug. I got MSG for Christmas in 1981. It would literally define my musical life.
I honestly consider it one of the most important albums in my life.

A couple months later I traded a Led Zeppelin pin to a kid on my hockey team for the Obsession and Strangers In The Night albums.
Strangers In the Night is a classic, but my favorite moments on the album have as much to do with Paul Raymond as Michael Schenker.

The intros to Love To Love and I'm A Loser are captivating. The interplay between Paul and Michael during Rock Bottom is so fantastic. To me, it's perfection.

I feel like with all of the (deserved) accolades for Michael Schenker, the zaniness of Pete Way, and the well, whatever it is Phil Mogg has...
...but the forgotten man is Paul Raymond. He was responsible for performing the music that was so important to me. It was the true soundtrack to my high school years.

I only saw UFO twice. Once in 1986, and again in 2011.

Here are a few pics that I took of Paul Raymond:

June 14, 1986
The Living Room,
Providence, RI

Offline pg1067

« Reply #235 on: April 15, 2019, 03:48:45 PM »
Strangers In the Night is a classic, but my favorite moments on the album have as much to do with Paul Raymond as Michael Schenker.

The intros to Love To Love and I'm A Loser are captivating. The interplay between Paul and Michael during Rock Bottom is so fantastic. To me, it's perfection.

I feel like with all of the (deserved) accolades for Michael Schenker, the zaniness of Pete Way, and the well, whatever it is Phil Mogg has...
...but the forgotten man is Paul Raymond. He was responsible for performing the music that was so important to me. It was the true soundtrack to my high school years.

This...exactly.  I wrote something similar in another thread (although UFO isn't as significant for me as for you, SITN is still no worse than my second or third favorite live album by anyone).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: April 15, 2019, 05:32:25 PM »
TAC, I'm totally with you on that MSG/UFO love, and having seen most of the original band play those MSG songs not long ago in NY, it was clear how much Raymond brought to the table.    He wasn't there, so it was good, but it was missing something. 

And as far as SITN goes, it took a long time to quite get what the fuss was about.  And what made me get it was that side two of the first record:  Mother Mary into This Kid's into that epic intro to what's probably my favorite UFO song, Love To Love.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: April 15, 2019, 08:55:32 PM »
Misty green and bluuuuuue!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: April 15, 2019, 09:21:46 PM »
I’m listening to “Try Me” and Paul playing his piano. God, this sucks.  :'(

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #239 on: April 30, 2019, 06:45:34 PM »
It's official. Neil Carter will fill in for the rest UFO's final tour.

http://bravewords.com/news/ufo-s-2019-tour-will-continue-neil-carter-returns-for-the-late-paul-raymond

I'm happy with this.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #240 on: October 05, 2019, 09:24:04 AM »
 I did an interview with Vinnie Moore this week. We spoke about his new album, the upcoming tour with UFO, opening for Rush in the Roll the Bones tour, his friendship with Jordan and much more: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-vinnie-moore/

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #241 on: October 11, 2019, 10:53:01 AM »
Thanks for posting that Rodrigo. Vinnie is such a cool guy. I appreciate the info on why he left Alice Cooper's band. I saw that tour twice and they were killer. His band was Greg Smith, Stef Burns, Eric Singer, Derek Sherinian, and of course Vinnie.

I also saw him open for Rush, and we met him after the show. He signed my Rush ticket:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: October 11, 2019, 12:51:45 PM »
Thanks for posting that Rodrigo. Vinnie is such a cool guy. I appreciate the info on why he left Alice Cooper's band. I saw that tour twice and they were killer. His band was Greg Smith, Stef Burns, Eric Singer, Derek Sherinian, and of course Vinnie.

That's a killer band, man.  Wow.

I also saw him open for Rush, and we met him after the show. He signed my Rush ticket:

I LITERALLY spent $19.50 on two drinks at the Steve Hackett show the other night.   

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2019, 01:48:01 PM »
I did an interview with Vinnie Moore this week. We spoke about his new album, the upcoming tour with UFO, opening for Rush in the Roll the Bones tour, his friendship with Jordan and much more: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-vinnie-moore/

I had tickets to the Alice tour and was really only going to see Vinnie. He’s my favourite guitar player of all time. I was so gutted when I got to the gig, the band comes out and Vinnie isn’t there. This was pre Internet days so no info available beforehand. Nearly ruined the gig but Alice pulled it back.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #244 on: October 11, 2019, 07:15:10 PM »

Glad you liked it...and very cool ticket stub!!!!