Author Topic: The UFO Thread-Pete Way RIP  (Read 35797 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The UFO Thread
« Reply #175 on: July 18, 2017, 08:10:01 PM »

With a quick listen, I actually enjoyed the UFO album more than I remembered now I've got over the recycling  :angry:

When Daylight Goes To Town is Ridin' high

Baby Blue is she's only sleeping

Black cold coffee is emotion overload

Slipping Away is Echoes

I think if you have more familiarity with the UFO album, if you give Vinnie Out of Control and Defying Gravity albums a listen you'll hear plenty of the riffs and melodies from You Are Here.

Awesome. I wasn't calling you out, Paul, I will definitely go through those.

It wasn't just the first album with him - that song just posted, 'Drink too much', is Vinnie's tune 'In the blink of an eye' from his Defying Gravity album.

Oh wow! I will check that out.

I don't own a single Vinnie Moore album, nor have I heard a lick of any of it. That is totally interesting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2017, 03:53:27 AM »
I've been a Vinnie fan since the Vicious Rumors album he played on. All his solo albums are awesome, and they are all different from one another too. So much melody even when he's shredding it up. I always thought he could've done a prog metal band album back in the day, but he's gone blusier over the years.

Offline wrighty

« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2017, 12:22:28 PM »
I've been a Vinnie fan since the Vicious Rumors album he played on. All his solo albums are awesome, and they are all different from one another too. So much melody even when he's shredding it up. I always thought he could've done a prog metal band album back in the day, but he's gone blusier over the years.

Ditto.  Time Odyssey is the best instrumental guitar album of the era (1988 release) in my opinion.  I've followed VM's career since, and only got into UFO by virtue of him being in the band.  He's definitely gone blusier these days, but for me he's best when he's in full neoclassical shred mode.  His instructional videos were awesome, back in the day.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2017, 02:43:12 PM »
Mind's Eye is the best for me. But ME, Time Odyssey and Meltdown are three very different albums but all awesome.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »
Mind's Eye is the best for me. But ME, Time Odyssey and Meltdown are three very different albums but all awesome.

Meltdown for me - I liked the move to a more regular rock (vs neoclassical) sound - but they're all good in their own way.   Better production on Meltdown too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2017, 05:06:04 PM »

Meltdown for me - I liked the move to a more regular rock (vs neoclassical) sound - but they're all good in their own way.   Better production on Meltdown too.

That's a good sign. Three opinions, all going for a different album. Says something about the quality.
Of the rest, The Maze and Defying Gravity are excellent but I was never that happy with Out of nowhere. It seemed short and lacked something. Some good stuff there still though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2017, 06:31:10 AM »
I know it's the Moore era being talked about...  but I randomly put on "Force It" yesterday while at the zoo (well, Wal-Mart) and man is that a good record.  From "Out In The Street" on, it's just killer.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
I know it's the Moore era being talked about...  but I randomly put on "Force It" yesterday while at the zoo (well, Wal-Mart) and man is that a good record.  From "Out In The Street" on, it's just killer.

Force It is my favorite UFO album.  Hard-hitting and consistent throughout.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2017, 12:26:25 PM »

Great album but I can't stand this version of Let It Roll due to the vocals. The SitN version has much more life.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2017, 03:33:14 PM »

Any rock'n tune that randomly throws out silent movie actors names is fantastic by me!  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2017, 07:06:43 PM »

Gee, thanks for finally playing! ;D

Force It is AWESOME. I have always had a soft spot for Too Much Of Nothing. Awesome deep track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2017, 02:57:27 PM »
Well, like I said, I'm not starting it until it's actually done. So when I say it'll be soon, I mean:

:soon:

Seriously, we are months away!

The funny thing about The Moore era is that my overall feeling about it is that it's been disappointing, yet I recently made mix CDs of the Chapman Era and the Moore Era, and I actually enjoy the Moore one um..more.

Both UFO1 and Flying are on Spotify. Don't wait for the thread! Both are quite interesting, especially Flying's 26 minute title track!

It's a different animal, but you still get Mogg, Way, and Parker. Mick Bolton was a decent blues and psychedelic player with a lot of effects utilized. It's some spacey stuff at times, but otherwise more blues based. I enjoy both those albums and the Live in Japan album as well. Phenomenon is my favorite studio album overall. I enjoy the Vinnie era albums, but the songs just aren't as strong as the Schenker and Chapman era albums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »
Hey, welcome to DTF and honored to have your first post in The UFO Thread!

Speaking of Phenomenon, obviously there's Rock Bottom, but I love Time On My Hands. That Schenker solo is amazing.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2017, 04:02:15 PM »
Thanks.

That entire Phenomenon record is amazing. Rock Bottom and Doctor Doctor were favorites of everyone's and rightly so especially live. But man I love Time on My Hands, Crystal Light, Space Child, Built for Comfort, Queen of the deep. Great, Great record. Probably my favorite.

And I'm one of those fans that have liked all incarnations of the band pretty much. I like Misdemeanor quite a bit with Atomic Tommy. The Ain't Misbehavin EP is a stretch but everything else I enjoy. Paul Chapman's pre UFO band Lonestar is worth checking out as well.

They're top 10 for me of my all time bands. I probably know about as much about this band as anybody on here. Sadly I've only got to see them live three times, but #4 will be in September  ;D

I can say I got to see them with Michael too, back in, what was it 95, on the Walk on Water Tour.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #189 on: July 21, 2017, 04:59:36 PM »
Thanks.

That entire Phenomenon record is amazing. Rock Bottom and Doctor Doctor were favorites of everyone's and rightly so especially live. But man I love Time on My Hands, Crystal Light, Space Child, Built for Comfort, Queen of the deep. Great, Great record. Probably my favorite.

And I'm one of those fans that have liked all incarnations of the band pretty much. I like Misdemeanor quite a bit with Atomic Tommy. The Ain't Misbehavin EP is a stretch but everything else I enjoy. Paul Chapman's pre UFO band Lonestar is worth checking out as well.

They're top 10 for me of my all time bands. I probably know about as much about this band as anybody on here. Sadly I've only got to see them live three times, but #4 will be in September  ;D

I can say I got to see them with Michael too, back in, what was it 95, on the Walk on Water Tour.

Love Misdemeanor. I remember buying it in the Import Bin. The UK version was so much better. I also love all incarnations. UFO is in my 3 way tie for all time favorite band.

I've only seen them twice, in '86 and in 2011. Unfortunately the WoW tour did not come to Boston or Providence.

I was able to see Pete Way and Paul Chapman once, in Waysted in '87 opening for Iron Maiden.

I've only seen Schenker twice, in '97 opening for Rush, and on his acoustic tour in '92,

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2017, 06:26:02 PM »
A lot of people dog Misdemeanor for being too commercial, and it was, but some very catchy and cool songs I agree, I still enjoy that record very much.

Waysted was way cool too, Fin was excellent. I believe I have everything that has been released of their early incarnations. Vices and The Good, The Bad, and the Waysted are awesome records. The EP and Save Your Prayers were good too.
Love Loaded, Women in Chains, Won't Get Out Alive, Hang em High, Dead on Your Legs, Great stuff. and their version of Chuck Berry's Around and Around kicked ass.

I saw them live as an opener back around that time myself, at the Spectrum in Philly. It may have been that Maiden tour which I believe was the Seventh Son Tour am I right? but yeah I did get to see them and as far back as then I was a huge UFO fan, I believe I got into UFO around freshman year of high school back in 83, so I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Waysted, since I wouldn't get a chance to see UFO till 1995.

:metal     

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2017, 07:30:42 PM »
A lot of people dog Misdemeanor for being too commercial, and it was, but some very catchy and cool songs I agree, I still enjoy that record very much. 
There are some great tunes..Wreckless, Heaven's Gate, Meanstreets, Name Of Love, Dream The Dream..hell yes!!

Waysted was way cool too, Fin was excellent. I believe I have everything that has been released of their early incarnations. Vices and The Good, The Bad, and the Waysted are awesome records. The EP and Save Your Prayers were good too.
Love Loaded, Women in Chains, Won't Get Out Alive, Hang em High, Dead on Your Legs, Great stuff. and their version of Chuck Berry's Around and Around kicked ass.

I love love love those albums. TGTBTW is one of my favorite albums of all time. All time! My favorite tracks are The Land That's Lost The Love and Manuel. I quoted Crazy 'Bout The Stuff next to my picture in my high school year book ('86).
"Try everything twice just in case there was something that you missed. I don't say I know it all, but I tell you, hey I've been through the list" - Pete Way

I saw them live as an opener back around that time myself, at the Spectrum in Philly. It may have been that Maiden tour which I believe was the Seventh Son Tour am I right?   
Somewhere In Time.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2017, 05:08:52 PM »
Tim if you ever get a chance can you do your complete UFO album rankings favorite to least

I will!

My Top 3 though are:

No Heavy Petting
The Wild The Willing And The Innocent
Walk On Water

Very surprised to read that these are your three top picks, but that shows just how big of a UFO fan you are. The Wild The Willing and the Innocent is a GREAT album. I love that album. All of side one is fantastic and love Making Moves and Profession of Violence from side two.

My favorites from No Heavy Petting would be Natural Thing, Reasons Love, Highway Lady and On With The Action.

My top 5 would be:
Phenomenon
Lights Out
No Place To Run
The Wild, The Willing, and the Innocent
Force It

After that it gets really difficult but Making Contact would probably be next in line. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2017, 05:14:22 PM »
Making Contact is down on my list. It beats most of the Moore albums but not much else.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2017, 05:18:06 PM »
I remember when High Stakes came out. I was so happy Way and Mogg were together. They also did a cool b-side of Long Gone.

This lineup also recorded the Lights Out In Tokyo live album, which is f'n A Awesome! Laurence Archer slays on it, and the energy is incredible. Even on tracks like Love To Love and Lights Out, Archer rules. UFO has commercially released so many live albums and Lights Out In Tokyo ranks right up there.

Agreed great live record  :metal and I liked Runnin Up The Highway, and that Long Gone b side from High Stakes, overall not a bad record. Not one I pull out regularly nut it has some cool tracks/ 

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #195 on: July 24, 2017, 05:25:33 PM »
So, I finished the Pete Way book. UFO has been a favorite band of mine since I was a kid, and Pete Way, in particular, has always been fascinating to me. I LOVED the Waysted albums in the 80's. Loved them. I was interested in his story, as I remember when his wife passed away, but I was more interested in the "Rock History" part of it as it related to UFO, Fastway, , Ozzy, Waysted, the Schenker reunion, and so on.

It's told in the first person, with a co author. Ace's book was the same way, but I felt Ace's book was so embellished by the co author, it didn't even feel like a legit autobiography.
Way's book feels a lot closer to his own words than Ace's, but the more I read, the more I could feel the co author's work.

Anyway, I thought of Paul's quote while reading this.

And Ace. No Regrets? Well he fucking well should have! Wasted his talent, hurt his loved ones. Dick head.

There is nothing redeeming or sympathetic about Pete Way. He actually was pretty pathetic. He seemed to be able to pull people in with a personal charm. Even in pictures, he seemed like a cool guy to hang out with. And he probably was. But he let his life be ruled by drugs and alcohol. 6 wives. Cheated on all of them. His kids, by different wives grew up without him.

I cannot believe the amount of drugs he did. His 5th wife, Joanna, was a doctor, and she wrote prescriptions for both of them. She ended up ODing. I seriously cannot believe this guy is alive. Most people would be dead by now doing what he did.

Very cool, this book snuck out without me hearing about it. So do you give this a good endorsement to purchase. I'm getting mixed vibes from you  ;D did you recommend this book as a good read for a UFO diehard?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #196 on: July 24, 2017, 05:36:09 PM »
The book is a Must Read. He takes you through in and out of every record. Love the whole leaving UFO/Fastway/Ozzy/Waysted era. Very interesting to read how everything went down.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2017, 05:40:19 PM »
From the first album my top picks for people to check out would be,
Boogie for George, C'mon Everybody, Come Away Melinda, Treacle People, Who Do You Love and Evil. All of those songs are worth a listen, if for no other reason than to get an idea of the band's beginnings.

I love the Flying album. I know I'm in the minority but I totally dig the guitar effects and psychedelic jamming on Star Storm and Flying but it certainly obviously isn't for everyone  ;D

This lineups live album, UFO Live /Live in Japan is an easier listen to digest more of a direct bluesy rock album that I very much enjoy.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2017, 05:41:46 PM »
The book is a Must Read. He takes you through in and out of every record. Love the whole leaving UFO/Fastway/Ozzy/Waysted era. Very interesting to read how everything went down.

Nice cool, I 'll be ordering this tonight if it is available. Thanks

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #199 on: July 24, 2017, 05:55:14 PM »
Making Contact is down on my list. It beats most of the Moore albums but not much else.
Making contact is my favourite Chapman era album. I know this album is viewed for many as a low point, but I really like Neil Carter's influence on it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #201 on: July 24, 2017, 06:15:36 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0744MR25X/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1500940597&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ufo&dpPl=1&dpID=61i6s8xSxJL&ref=plSrch
New album of covers

I'm a sucker for these cover albums as long as it is a band I totally worship such as this band. I will definitely pick this up. I like most of the tracks selected for this, IMO though, this would have been so much better done some years back when Phil had a little more wind in his sail, but I'm sure it will be a great listen none the less  :metal 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2017, 07:53:29 PM »
I'll buy that for Rock Candy alone.  Phil Mogg singing that?  GTFO. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2017, 02:05:49 AM »
I'll give it a listen to see what Vinnie does with the material but not essential for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2017, 06:36:13 AM »
It'll be a release day purchase, but honestly, I'm not all that hyped over it. Any album with Phil Mogg is worth getting.

We're actually seeing them the night this is released. If they drop Let It Roll for Break On Through, I'm not going to be happy.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2017, 10:35:19 AM »
It'll be a release day purchase, but honestly, I'm not all that hyped over it. Any album with Phil Mogg is worth getting.

We're actually seeing them the night this is released. If they drop Let It Roll for Break On Through, I'm not going to be happy.

I am shocked they are covering River of Deceit. That is a very odd, left field choice.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2017, 10:44:46 AM »
I've never heard of it. Who did the original?

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »
Mad Season, a nineties side project featuring Layne Staley and Mike McCready

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »
Oh, ok. I wasn't paying any attention to what those guys and their bands were up to. I do know that Mike McCready has a UFO cover band, right? One of their shows turned up on Dime a few weeks ago.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2017, 10:54:36 AM »
TAC, check that out.  It's really good.   Mellow, but good.    If I recall, Temple Of The Dog did a Mad Season song when I saw them in MSG.