Author Topic: Bands (Rock, Prog or more) with great 4th AND 5th albums?  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: Bands (Rock, Prog or more) with great 4th AND 5th albums?
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2017, 11:16:19 AM »
Some damn fine sig material from TAC today...

:lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online T-ski

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2017, 11:24:51 AM »
Journey - Infinity and Evolution
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2017, 11:34:50 AM »
Journey - Infinity and Evolution

I almost said these ones too. Much like Arch Enemy's 4th and 5th albums, I actually consider these their first 2 albums, because I ignore they even existed before Perry.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2017, 11:45:49 AM »

:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2017, 12:04:56 PM »

I thought the same thing lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »
As much of a UFO fanboi as I am, I just can't endorse this opinion. I will never understand your love of No Heavy Petting...I've honestly tried to listen to it with your ears and I just can't get there.  :-[

At face value I can understand that. It doesn't have the classics that the other Classic 5 Schenker albums have.  I love how Mogg sounds on it. He is more developed than Phenomenon/ Force It and before the better production of Lights Out. The lyrics are also Moggcrazy. And I frankly think it's Schenker's best album. He absolutely shreds. The solos on Reasons Love and Can You Roll Her  :hefdaddy

I think most of the tracks have a low key charm to it.  Belladonna is the most underrated track they have, and Martian Landscape is the perfect ending. I'm A Loser? Awesome!     

Maybe because I came into UFO WAAYYYY late in the game (I was an MSG fan back in the day - Built To Destroy is a legendary album in my view) but I just recently started to get into UFO, so there is no real "progression" to me.  It's all just good music to me.  I love Phil's voice on the first verse to "I'm A Loser".   

The cover creeps me out though, won't lie.

HEY: Someone help me out:  what's the riff from the verse of "Reasons to Love".  It reminds me of something and I can't place it.  It's also the riff under the solo.   Did Eric Avery steal that for a Jane's Addition bass line?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:24:10 PM by Stadler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2017, 12:32:25 PM »
Maybe because I came into UFO WAAYYYY late in the game (I was an MSG fan back in the day - Built To Destroy is a legendary album in my view) but I just recently started to get into UFO, so there is no real "progression" to me.  It's all just good music to me.  I love Phil's voice on the first verse to "I'm A Loser".   

I came into UFO through Schenker as well. His 2nd album MSG hit my radar when it was released. I got into UFO in early 9th grade, and they became easily my most listened to band in high school. The Classic 5 Schenker albums are all amazing, but NHP just hits that spot for me. It will be one of the last albums I listen to on my death bed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2017, 12:39:15 PM »
Maybe we should start a UFO thread so as not to hijack too much of M's topic.  :)

I'm biased against No Heavy Petting because I was collecting UFO albums as they were released (see the Post your picture thread  :lol). My pals and I were hooked with the spaciness Phenomenon and the heaviness of Force It (it was really heavy at the time). Other than a few spots we thought NHP was pretty light weight (I'm looking at you Highway Lady). Lights Out and Obsession (my personal favorite) is where they really brought it home for us...of course, there's no greater live album, ever, than Strangers In The Night.  :biggrin:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2017, 12:40:23 PM »
   Hysteria was great;
I cannot get on board with this. At. All. High n Dry is one of the 5 most influential albums in my musical life and this is simply not the same band.

In fact, I remember reading this quote from Joe Elliot shortly after Hysteria was released:
Quote from: Joe Elliot date=1987
So we heard about this kid TAC, who lived somewhere in Massachusetts. That's in America. Well anyway, even though he was a big fan, and even though he waited a long time for our new record, we, as a band, decided we didn't want him to be a fan anymore.
To rub it in his face, we even recorded a half dozen tracks we think he'd actually like and we didn't even put it them on the album! (laughs) Bollocks to him!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2017, 01:04:22 PM »
Aren't Ayreon's 4th & 5th albums the two Universal Migrator albums?

Ah, yes... brain fart.  though, I always consider them a single release / double album).  In my books, UM and THE are Ayreon's 4th/5th, even though technically, your above statement is more correct.

Either way, Ayreon is still a valid answer.   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2017, 01:05:22 PM »
   Hysteria was great;
I cannot get on board with this. At. All. High n Dry is one of the 5 most influential albums in my musical life and this is simply not the same band.
Good grief.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2017, 01:09:20 PM »
   Hysteria was great;

In fact, I remember reading this quote from Joe Elliot shortly after Hysteria was released:
So we heard about this kid TAC, who lived somewhere in Massachusetts. That's in America. Well anyway, even though he was a big fan, and even though he waited a long time for our new record, we, as a band, decided we didn't want him to be a fan anymore.
To rub it in his face, we even recorded a half dozen tracks we think he'd actually like and we didn't even put it them on the album! (laughs) Bollocks to him!

Good grief.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »

If it matters to you:
- My first (and still favorite) Def Leppard album is High and Dry
- I saw them as an opening act on the first leg of the Pyromania tour (opening for, and blowing off the stage, Billy Squier)
- Those four B-sides from Hysteria - Tear it Down, I Wanna Be Your Hero, Ring of Fire and Ride Into The Sun - are all in my top 10 favorite Leppard songs ever. 

I still like Adrenalize, though.  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2017, 01:44:54 PM »

If it matters to you:
- My first (and still favorite) Def Leppard album is High and Dry
- I saw them as an opening act on the first leg of the Pyromania tour (opening for, and blowing off the stage, Billy Squier)
- Those four B-sides from Hysteria - Tear it Down, I Wanna Be Your Hero, Ring of Fire and Ride Into The Sun - are all in my top 10 favorite Leppard songs ever. 

I still like Adrenalize, though.  :)

High n Dry is a TAC Top 10 album.
Def Lep was my first concert on 6/25/83  (Def Lep/Krokus/Gary Moore at the Cape Cod Coliseum)
The b sides are awesome!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2017, 01:45:59 PM »

I came into UFO through Schenker as well. His 2nd album MSG hit my radar when it was released. I got into UFO in early 9th grade, and they became easily my most listened to band in high school. The Classic 5 Schenker albums are all amazing, but NHP just hits that spot for me. It will be one of the last albums I listen to on my death bed.

I just put on "Mechanix", and while I know it's not Michael (it's Paul Chapman) WOW what a great record.  "The Writer".  "Doing It All For You".  And the best song on the album (which wasn't even on the original album but was a bonus track in Japan) "Heel Of A Stranger".   LOVE that song. 

I feel a UFO kick coming on.  Look out!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2017, 02:39:57 PM »
Was trying to come up with a witty post using "love bites" for tim, but have failed. Can one of the more witty folks here please come up with a few to destroy..err...uh...entertain TAC?

Hysteria is ridiculously polished, but it is a great record. Although I also agree the bsides are killer. Adrenalize is awesome too...except for make love like a man. Thats cringe worthy. :facepalm:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »
Was trying to come up with a witty post using "love bites" for tim, but have failed. Can one of the more witty folks here please come up with a few to destroy..err...uh...entertain TAC?

Hysteria is ridiculously polished, but it is a great record. Although I also agree the bsides are killer. Adrenalize is awesome too...except for make love like a man. Thats cringe worthy. :facepalm:

Make Love Like a Man is 10x better than Let's Get Rocked.

Let's press, let's press, let's press, let's press SKIIIIIIIP!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2017, 05:15:20 PM »

That was my first thought too - what an awful first single.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2017, 08:19:10 AM »

I absolutely LOATHE Let's Get Rocked.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2017, 08:47:02 AM »

Damn, I forgot about that song, because I hate it. OK, so Make Love Like a Man and Let's Get Rocked are shit. But the rest on that record, particularly White Lightning, are good.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »

Damn, I forgot about that song, because I hate it. OK, so Make Love Like a Man and Let's Get Rocked are shit. But the rest on that record, particularly White Lightning, are good.
White Lightning and Tear It Down are the only songs I'd willingly choose to listen to off that album.  Def Leppard as a recording band died for me with Steve Clark.  Hysteria and Retro Active are the end of the line. 

They have a super competent guitarist in Vivian Campbell and they don't give him anything to do.  I feel sorry for the poor bastard.  Not too much, though.  I'm sure he's made some pretty decent coin in his 25 years in the band.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2017, 02:34:31 PM »

I absolutely LOATHE Let's Get Rocked.

So I suppose a rock is out of the question?   

When you have a set of lyrics that make "Pour Some Sugar On Me" sound like Shakespeare, you know you've achieved something special.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliōujoāupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2017, 03:15:55 PM »
All throw out Ayreon with The Human Equation AND 01011001
...these are 5th and 6th or 6th and 7th depending on how you count the Universal Migrator albums , though  :lol

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2017, 08:54:36 PM »
A couple of my favorites (no EP's or live albums, just studio efforts):

Between the Buried and Me - Colors, The Great Misdirect
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond, Imaginations From The Other Side
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind, Powerslave
Porcupine Tree - Signify, Stupid Dream
Rush - 2112, A Farewell to Kings
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger, Superunknown