Author Topic: Best Page To Screen Adaptations  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Best Page To Screen Adaptations
« on: April 10, 2017, 11:59:25 AM »
(Rita Hayworth and) Shawshank Redemption Stephen King/Frank Darabont. One of the best movies from the 90s that holds up well today. All from a short story that isn't even one of King's better works. Darabont took the core of the story and gave it so much heard and depth. And then managed to do it again with The Green Mile.

The Godfather Mario Puzo/Francis Coppola. One of the best movies of all time that trimmed a bunch of the secondary character fat from the novel and made the film more concise and focused.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Best Page To Screen Adaptations
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:14:31 PM »
I thought the Hunger Games films were very good adaptations.  They stayed very true to the novels, and any deviations seemed very logical.  But those books were all very recent and probably written with an eye toward film, so that may have played into it.

I think the three Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings films were very good adaptations of the books as well, even though they deviated at times in very material ways from the source material.  The artistic and practical choices Jackson and his team made for the film adaptions to me not only made logical sense, but also just worked very well to make good movies. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »
I think the three Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings films were very good adaptations of the books as well, even though they deviated at times in very material ways from the source material.  The artistic and practical choices Jackson and his team made for the film adaptions to me not only made logical sense, but also just worked very well to make good movies.

I would essentially agree, but there's one thing still I can't get over with: that they didn't include one of the most iconic, important and very much cinematographic moments of the battle for Gondor, the Nazgul Witchking entering the gates of Gondor and finding Gandalf atop Shadowfax to face him.

It's beautifully written in the book, and would have really translated perfectly on screen. The gate that was never breached by any kind of enemy comes down, torn by Grond, the battering ram. Every soldier loses hope, they all run away in fear, and the Witchking enters the gate... and there's Gandalf on top of Shadowfax standing alone before the Nazgul, telling him to piss off. And in that moment of absolute despair, Rohan finally arrives.

In the film they instead chose to botch it by showing random CGI creatures breaching the gate, and the very brief confrontation between Gandalf and the Witchking is delegated to a cut scene. I'm still annoyed at that.

On the other hand, the first of many examples of scenes masterfully done is Gandalf with the Barlog. I perfectly knew what was going to happen, and yet I was hoping that Gandalf would have made it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 03:22:01 PM »
Gonna nominate Fight Club.

I think the movie is a lot better than the novel. Even Chuck Palahniuk thinks so.

However - conversely - Choke - also by Chuck Palahniuk - the movie is crap.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 03:27:20 PM »

I would essentially agree, but there's one thing still I can't get over with: that they didn't include one of the most iconic, important and very much cinematographic moments of the battle for Gondor, the Nazgul Witchking entering the gates of Gondor and finding Gandalf atop Shadowfax to face him.

It's beautifully written in the book, and would have really translated perfectly on screen. The gate that was never breached by any kind of enemy comes down, torn by Grond, the battering ram. Every soldier loses hope, they all run away in fear, and the Witchking enters the gate... and there's Gandalf on top of Shadowfax standing alone before the Nazgul, telling him to piss off. And in that moment of absolute despair, Rohan finally arrives.

In the film they instead chose to botch it by showing random CGI creatures breaching the gate, and the very brief confrontation between Gandalf and the Witchking is delegated to a cut scene. I'm still annoyed at that.

On the other hand, the first of many examples of scenes masterfully done is Gandalf with the Barlog. I perfectly knew what was going to happen, and yet I was hoping that Gandalf would have made it.

It's been awhile since I've watched the movies. Was that added in the extended version? I could swear that I remember seeing it in the movie, but I'm not sure which version.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 03:36:59 PM »

It's been awhile since I've watched the movies. Was that added in the extended version? I could swear that I remember seeing it in the movie, but I'm not sure which version.

Yes.  It was done a bit differently.  It was at one of the inner gates.  And the nazgul simply landed rather than coming through the gate.  I thought it was actually very well done, for the most part.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 05:41:36 AM »
The Silence of the Lambs & Jaws spring to mind.  Two average books by limited hamfisted authors, yet both are outstanding movies.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 06:03:00 AM »
Da Vinci Code.

Terrible book by a terrible author.

And the film captured that perfectly :biggrin:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 06:32:12 AM »
Even though it's not out yet, I have super high hopes for Ready Player One.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 08:23:41 AM »
Da Vinci Code.

:)

Same with Twilight.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 08:34:16 AM »
Da Vinci Code.

I really enjoyed the book when it came out, instantly read all his previous books. That was way before the book became ridicously overhyped though.
The movie was a giant meh sadly.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 09:35:29 AM »
Da Vinci Code.

But it had an amazing closing track so it can be forgiven!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »
Phillip K Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was masterfully adapted to the big screen as Blade Runner

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 08:47:44 PM »
Phillip K Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was masterfully adapted to the big screen as Blade Runner

Came to post this as well.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 08:52:12 PM »
Are we equating good to faithful and bad to unfaithful?

Seems a bit rigid. Or are we saying good movie = good adaptation?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 09:41:09 PM »
Valid question. Jurassic Park was a good movie but barely echoed to what Michael Crichton wrote in his novel before it

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 08:00:50 AM »
Are we equating good to faithful and bad to unfaithful?
In this context, yes.

Seems a bit rigid. Or are we saying good movie = good adaptation?
Most good adaptations are good movies.  But those are separate things.

The big example (for me) is The Shining.  The film is a good film, but it's not a good adaptation.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 08:04:19 AM »

Came to post this as well.

I posted this in the bad adaptations actually. I think the movie captures the overall darkness perfectly but it strays from the story and leaves out some really important stuff while incorporating stuff that is not in the book. Even so, it's still a spectacular film
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 02:26:40 PM »
Today, Stephen King tweeted a clip to HBO's The Outsider and said it was one of the best adaptations of his work.  The book was great.  I can't f-ing wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNDKWr3Xmjk
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 03:14:05 PM »
Today, Stephen King tweeted a clip to HBO's The Outsider and said it was one of the best adaptations of his work.  The book was great.  I can't f-ing wait!

Yeah.....this looks great!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 07:39:04 PM »
The Hunt For Red October.   One of just a handful of movies that are better than the book.

The Godfather is another (though the book is pretty darn good, it doesn't approach the movie.

But the best for me?   Dr. Zhivago.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 08:28:22 PM »
I have thoughts on this but am too tired to write them now. But I do want to say this briefly:

Dang that did look pretty neat. Except I can't say I enjoyed the book very much. At least the last 1/3 or so.

Da Vinci Code.

:tup
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2019, 04:22:29 AM »

Dang that did look pretty neat. Except I can't say I enjoyed the book very much. At least the last 1/3 or so.

Tend to agree.  The first half of the book is really quite interesting, the second half killed that.  Also are they going to use Holly in the film?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2019, 10:31:48 AM »
I don't read a ton.

The few books I've read that have been made into movies are as follows:

Several Grisham books
Eight Men Out
Da Vinci Code/Angels & Demons (both of which I really enjoyed in both book and movie form)
Maybe a couple others I can't recall...and...

Field of Dreams.  This is one of my top 2-3 favorite movies of all time.  I first saw it when it was released in 1989 and have seen it dozens of times since.  About 10 years ago, I read Shoeless Joe.  I remember thinking and saying to more than one person that I was even more impressed that whoever wrote the screenplay was able to turn such a boring book into such a great movie.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2019, 09:40:26 PM »
Eight Men Out

Dang that is a good one. That is possibly my favorite sports movie, and my favorite sports book. Any fan of baseball, or sports history (or American history, for that matter), should read it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 01:36:30 PM »
Huh, I honestly had no idea I started this thread till now, and I've posted in it a couple times recently.

I posted about this in the Controversial thread, but will add here the 1984 A Christmas Carol with George C Scott. That is a masterful telling of the story. It is faithful to the context of the original story, but also adds so much "depth of feeling" (a phrase repeated in the film). They are little bits here and there, but they help flesh out the character of Scrooge and give the story so much more life. In the film, he tells Fred he sees "the shadow of his sister in his face." He doesn't dislike Fred because he is so annoyingly happy. It's actually hard to see him because he reminds him of Fan.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 08:23:13 PM »
Ghost World

The Film and Graphic Novel are both brilliant.