Author Topic: Harmonica advice?  (Read 807 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Harmonica advice?
« on: April 04, 2017, 09:32:54 AM »
Okay, so the band I'm getting together does a power ballad from the 80's that has harmonica parts in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIGriKm60D8

I'm half decent at figuring out new instruments and harmonica is definitely a new thing for me.  The song is in C major and the parts aren't really difficult, but I know literally NOTHING about harmonicas.  Jr. has a very small 10-hole harmonica, about 4 - 4.5 inches in length.  I tried playing around with it and I invariably end up hitting two notes at a time, no matter what I do, so are there other lengths with bigger holes that would make this easier?  I know others have more holes, so is that the way to go?  I really got nothin' here, but I feel confident that if I had the right tool for the job, I could figure it out.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Harmonica advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 09:42:18 AM »
Hit the right notes.

Try to avoid the wrong notes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 09:44:20 AM »
That's the tough part.  After 27 years, I can't even reliably follow this advice on guitar 100% of the time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 09:49:53 AM »
I'm sure you've thought of this, but...have you just Googled or Youtube-searched harmonica tutorials?  Heck, if the song is well known and has a prominent harmonic part, you might even find a "how to" harmonica video for that song on Youtube.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:50:24 AM »
All I read was "Coz needs a bigger hole".

That's rock star, man.

Seriously, though, I have some (limited) experience with this, and other than the higher end instruments being in a certain key (which probably doesn't matter for you) I don't know that there's a huge difference at the lower price points.

Suggestion (if you haven't already) go in to a Guitar Center or other decent music store and check out the differences (though don't ask the help; in my experience they're not the level of expertise you need). 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:50:59 AM »
Oh, and my guess?  "That's What I Like About You" by the Romantics. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:53:57 AM »
For those interested, I posted a link to the song in the OP.  Guaranteed, nobody was going to guess that one.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 10:07:02 AM »
I'm sure you've thought of this, but...have you just Googled or Youtube-searched harmonica tutorials?  Heck, if the song is well known and has a prominent harmonic part, you might even find a "how to" harmonica video for that song on Youtube.

Kinda.  I've tried to get info on harmonica sizes and such, just to see if a bigger one might help, but I'll probably go ahead and watch a few YT vids on the subject anyway - I'll need the knowledge sooner or later.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 01:17:55 PM »

Kinda.  I've tried to get info on harmonica sizes and such, just to see if a bigger one might help, but I'll probably go ahead and watch a few YT vids on the subject anyway - I'll need the knowledge sooner or later.

Never would have guessed, but that's actually a good tune; I'm no fan of Taime Downe but he's not as annoying as usual in that one.