Author Topic: The JAWS & Sequels Thread  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
The JAWS & Sequels Thread
« on: April 03, 2017, 04:14:33 PM »
JAWS 1975. Plus sequels.

The best shark movie ever made ? I think so. Not sure about best monster movie. I love the original Tremors too ( and the tremors sequels are way better than the Jaws sequels )..

Jaws 2 is decent if a bit boring. Jaws 3 is utterly dull and Jaws 4 is just stupid.

DISCUSS YOU SON OF A

Offline The Trooper

Re: The JAWS & Sequels Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 04:19:05 PM »
No love for sharknado?  :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »
Fuck. No.

Hate them. They're the worst. Intentionally bad movies that want to be cult movies.

You don't make cult movies. They just happen.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 04:22:33 PM »
Cant beat Joey Fatone getting eating on a boardwalk by a flying shark

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »
I am with ya tho and 100% agree. Why we get gems like American Psycho etc

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
Never saw any of the Sharknados.  Probably won't.  Not that I have anything against stupid movies.  But there's only so much time.

EDIT:  Oh, but Jaws was very good and still holds up despite the cheese and WAY outdated effects.  I have memories of 2 being pretty good as well, but I was pretty young when I saw it, so that could be off.  The others were just bad.  Too bad there hasn't been a really good shark movie since then.  The Shallows came close.  But the end was just a bit too much to swallow (no pun intended). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 04:58:30 PM »
I liek Jaws 2 for the scene where it rams a boat and it's head caves in and they left it in the final edit :p

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 08:37:02 PM »
The original is obviously a classic. I still watch it anytime I catch it on TV. I've only seen bits and pieces of the sequels, and that was so many years ago that I can barely remember.

On a related note, when I was about 5 years old, I rode the Jaws ride at Universal Studios in Orlando. I was utterly horrified and bawled my eyes out.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 08:47:06 PM »
I like the original Jaws...barely. No way I'm interested in seeing it's sequels. And a big hell no to Sharknado.

*sits down and watches Tremors 5*

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 02:14:34 AM »
Jaws 1 is the best shark movie ever! Jaws 2 was good but would have been better without the screaming girl on the pontoon that wouldn't stop. They should have had her get eaten by the shark instead of the level headed calm girl.
 Jaws 3 is lame, Jaws 4 is actually ok.
 Deep Blue Sea is a good shark movie..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 02:17:31 AM »
I am guilty of never having seen so many classic movies -I saw Jaws for the first time only a few years ago.  It probably loses a bit of its "classic" appeal when you see it for the first time many decades later - especially a movie relying on the special effects of the time.  I thought it was okay.  I have not seen any of the sequels or Sharknados.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 02:24:33 AM »
I saw the original in a theater, nearly ruined swimming in the sea for life. The star of this movie isn't the shark though, it's the increddible cast that makes it so good.

Jaws II I never much cared for. III is a laughable joke and 4 I actually thought was pretty good.

Sure the effects are outdated but even so that made the best damn sharkmovie with what they had at the time.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 04:48:44 AM »
1 - one of the best movies ever
2 - i would say genuinely enjoyable sequel
3 - laughably bad
4 - one of the worst movies ever (and laughably bad)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »
Jaws is one of the best films ever made.

Jaws 2 is not bad.  Pretty good for a sequel. 

And then there are the sequels.

Apparently Spielberg has a great idea for what would have been a Jaws sequel, but it can't be done now.  Oh well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 08:35:24 AM »
Apparently Spielberg has a great idea for what would have been a Jaws sequel, but it can't be done now.  Oh well.

What's the story?  I haven't heard anything about that.

Oh, and I saw Deep Blue Sea mentioned.  It definitely had its moments.  But it seemed to too frequently just cross the line and ask the audience to suspend belief just a tad too much for me.  But it did have LL Cool J, so that's something.  And the unexpected interruption of Samuel L Jackson's monologue was epic. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 08:50:04 AM »

He wouldn't tell the story.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »
Hmm.  I wonder if that's because it may have involved a talking car and a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.  I can't help but think of the possibilities there.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 09:13:24 AM »
Hmm.  I wonder if that's because it may have involved a talking car and a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.  I can't help but think of the possibilities there.
:justjen:

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »

He wouldn't tell the story.
After the success of Jaws that was a huge shocking success, Remember Spielberg was young. Peter Benchley wrote the book. Speilberg got cocky and wanted to have full control. Universal for some unknown reason didn't want to give him that control on 2. 2 is ok. but not 1. lol. I am sure some executives got canned for not keeping Spielberg around
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 09:34:18 AM by The Trooper »

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 09:32:11 AM »
Speilberg didn't want the second to become campy. He wrote a script, actually 3. I wont address them after the second movie cause I will vomit.  remember Quint was integral. forgive me, but someone mentioned the cast. you  cant outdo the cast in Jaws.  so it was almost pointless to try to do a sequal worthy

Offline T-ski

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
when the three guys get on the boat the movie goes from good to great.  all time classic.

2 is watchable.

3 is laughable.

never saw 4.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 09:43:06 AM »
Yeah, the role of Quint was iconic and was part of what made the original so good.  But that being said, I think it was smart to not try to duplicate that character trope in 2.  From what I can recall about 2 after all this time, it worked reasonably well because they struck a decent balance of taking some of the formula that worked from the original while still making the storyline different enough that it didn't just feel like a retread.  I think trying to put in a Quint character would have taken them too far into retread territory. 

Along similar lines, despite the uncanny coincidence of an abnormally large, predatory shark for those waters (or so it was believed at the time) exhibiting uncharacteristic behaviors TWICE, I think it was smart to not try to get into some bizarre explanation of "why"--like some offbeat scientific discovery that nuclear waste released off the coast of NY traveled by current to a previously unknown great white breeding ground not far from Amity, or something dumb like that.  It was just perhaps the world's most amazing and unfortunate streak of bad luck for the Brody family, and they just left it at that (until pt. 3 anyway).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 11:08:57 AM »
Yeah I'm not a fan of when films spell out for you WHY something happens.

Which is why I like that 3PO's red arm in Force Awakens was never addressed or explained. He just has one. End of.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 11:18:09 AM »
I prefer to believe C-3PO's arm was red because it had been bathed in the blood of his slain enemies.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 11:24:51 AM »
When I saw that in the cinema - I just took it to mean " hey it's been 30 years since you last saw 3PO...he's been off having adventures in that time.."

But of course the interwebs was all " WHY IS HIS ARM RED ? I WANT A SPIN OFF TRILOGY EXPLAINING IT ! "

There probably is an explanation in some comic or book...

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 12:04:47 PM »
Yeah, the role of Quint was iconic and was part of what made the original so good.  But that being said, I think it was smart to not try to duplicate that character trope in 2.  From what I can recall about 2 after all this time, it worked reasonably well because they struck a decent balance of taking some of the formula that worked from the original while still making the storyline different enough that it didn't just feel like a retread.  I think trying to put in a Quint character would have taken them too far into retread territory. 

Along similar lines, despite the uncanny coincidence of an abnormally large, predatory shark for those waters (or so it was believed at the time) exhibiting uncharacteristic behaviors TWICE, I think it was smart to not try to get into some bizarre explanation of "why"--like some offbeat scientific discovery that nuclear waste released off the coast of NY traveled by current to a previously unknown great white breeding ground not far from Amity, or something dumb like that.  It was just perhaps the world's most amazing and unfortunate streak of bad luck for the Brody family, and they just left it at that (until pt. 3 anyway).

as usual bosk is right

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 12:06:45 PM »
I think the first, and even second Jaws worked because they tried to go more serious and focused a bit more on the horror element. In the third one they made the shark the size of a whale shark for some reason and even if you overlook the whole 3D gimmick, it wasn't much of a movie. Once we got to the big reveal of the movie, we had a cartoony freeze frame of the shark gliding towards the glass and the impact was laughably bad. The fourth movie was even more stupid with everything from the tagline "This time it's personal" to the fact that the shark follows the Brody's from America to the Bahamas, to Ellen having psychic X-Men flashbacks to scenes she did not witness in the first movie, to the shark balancing on its back fins while roaring like a lion, to stabbing the shark with the boat and the shark exploding for no reason. There's just so much bad in the 4th one. Don't get me wrong, the third one is bad, but I would say it's more forgettable whereas the 4th is so bad and so outrageous that it sticks to your memory more.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2017, 12:10:56 PM »
I thought the shark blew up in Revenge because Jamaican dude put a bomb in it's mouth.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 02:48:24 AM »
That scene on the boat when they're getting drunk and Quint starts telling his ghost story....still goosebumps/chills up the spine!  :hefdaddy
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 07:49:15 AM »
That scene on the boat when they're getting drunk and Quint starts telling his ghost story....still goosebumps/chills up the spine!  :hefdaddy

Probably my favorite scene from any film ever. Jaws is easily one of my favorite movies of all time. I could care less about any of the sequels.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 08:07:06 AM »
That entire Indianapolis speech was improvised by Robert Shaw. Pure brilliance. And I agree. That whole scene is pure brilliance

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
Well. One take allegedly. He didn't make the entire thing up on the spot.

It went through SEVERAL rewrites before he got hold of it.

He tried it once but was drunk and told Spielberg he'd work on it overnight.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »
Love the original.  Great movie.  I can't recall the last time I watched the sequels, but I recall enjoying 2 very much and even finding some joy in the other sequels even though there was a clear drop in quality after 2.  But I think I watched those as a kid and my opinion if I watched it now would likely change.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Jaws movie in the future, seems ripe for a remake given our movie remake culture.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2017, 10:56:17 AM »
True to an extent. Shaw originally ran it by Speilberg and Speilberg wasn't fond of it,

And yes what made the film was a one take scene. Speilberg loved it so much there was no editing done

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2017, 10:58:42 AM »
Love the original.  Great movie.  I can't recall the last time I watched the sequels, but I recall enjoying 2 very much and even finding some joy in the other sequels even though there was a clear drop in quality after 2.  But I think I watched those as a kid and my opinion if I watched it now would likely change.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Jaws movie in the future, seems ripe for a remake given our movie remake culture.

Making a remake would be blasphemy. Would be like remaking Singing In THe Rain, etc. Hollywood needs to just make original movies.