Author Topic: "Captain" Lee Anderton Meets Paul Gilbert.  (Read 596 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
"Captain" Lee Anderton Meets Paul Gilbert.
« on: April 02, 2017, 01:57:54 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PxX7plLKIc

Hour long video of chat and guitar stuff.

:tup

And no Chappers. :tup.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:07:23 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: "Captain" Lee Anderton Meets Paul Gilbert.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 10:07:39 AM »
Always enjoy Lee Anderton's videos (even more so when with Chappers!) but this is just wonderful. What an inspiration Paul Gilbert is. Never really known much about him.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 10:09:49 AM »
Don't get me started on Chappers :lol

I. Cannot. Bear. Him.

I stopped watching his videos as they were edited for 12 year olds and that glass smashing sound every time anyone put a mug down got on my nerves.

Also he'd always do "tuition" videos in his own studio surrounded by as much of his gear as he could fit in the frame just to show off.

It was insufferable after a while and now I only watch Andertons videos without him.

He's that kid in school who thought he was hilarious and kids just laughed at him behind his back... :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 11:35:05 AM »
PG is such a great guy.  You can tell he just loves what he does.  Also, I'm pretty sure he knows every song ever written (well between 1974 and 1984).  I remember the rhythm lesson he recounted in this video, and it's a great piece of advice.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 11:39:17 AM »
The thing that helped my fretboard road-map knowledge no end was the CAGED system.

Basically you learn all 5 inversions of C A G E & D in all those 5 shapes.

It's pretty easy and helps a great deal with getting around the neck.

FOR EXAMPLE :

A C major chord. Learn it in the C shape ( open ) A shape ( 3rd fret ) G shape ( 8th fret ) E shape ( 8th fret ) and D shape ( 5th fret ).

Repeat for all 5 open chords.

Also - learn how each interval of the major and minor scale *sound* and also *feel* when played against each other. How does a major 2nd sound and feel etc...

That really helped me know what feeling and sound I wanted when soloing. After A while I could just play what I wanted to feel.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 02:01:59 PM »
One thing I remember Joe Satriani suggesting, as far as understanding how modes "sound" (which in this instance we'll apply to how a major or minor scale sounds) was to hit an open low E.  Let it ring while you improvise in E major over top of it.  No drum machines, no power chords, no bass guitar.  Just your one guitar.  Then hit it again and improvise above it in E minor.  Back and forth.  Then if you're feeling adventurous, hit an E and play in E dorian.  Then E mixolydian.  Etc.  Now while most people don't care so much about "modes", per se, it is a cool exercise in hearing how different tonalities work.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 02:14:44 PM »
The easiest way to understand modes is to play a major scale. Say C major... Start and end on C. Then play it again but start and end on D. Then E etc.