Author Topic: Bought a new car today. Got T-boned today.  (Read 3215 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Bought a new car today. Got T-boned today.
« on: March 30, 2017, 11:23:12 PM »
I'm so at a loss that I can't think straight. On my old car I had liability insurance, and they told me I'd need full coverage on the new car. Not a problem. Two hours after driving off the lot I got side-swiped by some teenager speeding over a hill, but I was at fault because I was turning out of the neighborhood onto the street. I wasn't able to update the policy yet because the office was closed.

What happens now? Am I going to be responsible for the damages out of pocket?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Bought a new car today. Got T-boned today.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 06:46:52 AM »
Damn I'm sorry to hear that. Is liberty your insurance company for this new car?

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 06:49:24 AM »
I'm surprised the dealer let you drive off the lot technically uninsured. Every time I've bought a car I've had to have the insurance company fax over new proof of insurance before they'd let me leave. I've never heard of something like this so I have no idea how it will play out.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 06:52:00 AM »
I'm surprised the dealer let you drive off the lot technically uninsured. Every time I've bought a car I've had to have the insurance company fax over new proof of insurance before they'd let me leave. I've never heard of something like this so I have no idea how it will play out.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Maybe it varies from state to state, but I know in PA, I wouldn't be able to leave the dealer without the dealer contacting the insurance company and getting everything squared away.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 06:55:09 AM »

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Maybe it varies from state to state, but I know in PA, I wouldn't be able to leave the dealer without the dealer contacting the insurance company and getting everything squared away.

This is how it was for me in CT as well.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 06:56:44 AM »
It's the same in Florida and NC they won't give you a temp tag until you have proof of insurance.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 06:59:49 AM »
Ditto here in Canadiana.  I got no insight for you, but hope that you don't get stuck with the tab.  That's a shite way to start Day 1 with a new vehicle.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 09:30:39 AM »
I offered proof of insurance, but I had liability on my old car that I traded in. The dealership told me I needed full coverage, but they did not inform me I needed it to even drive the car off the lot. With that lack of information, I assumed I had a grace period.

My insurance agent thinks I might have a lawsuit on my hands.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 09:34:55 AM »
When you say a lawsuit on your hands, do you mean that you have an opportunity to sue or that you will be the target of said lawsuit?

I believe the dealer has zero liability in this issue. Responsibility of insurance lies squarely on the driver/owner.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 09:35:55 AM »
When you say a lawsuit on your hands, do you mean that you have an opportunity to sue or that you will be the target of said lawsuit?

I believe the dealer has zero liability in this issue. Responsibility of insurance lies squarely on the driver/owner.
Opportunity to sue. Dealer wasn't legally allowed to let me leave the lot.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 09:45:12 AM »

Was this a new car as in you took it off a dealer's lot as the first owner, or was it a new-to-you used car from a used car dealership?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »

Was this a new car as in you took it off a dealer's lot as the first owner, or was it a new-to-you used car from a used car dealership?
Good question. The other important detail is whether you financed the car or paid cash. No lender would give you money for a car without having it well insured.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 09:49:14 AM »
Might be best to talk to talk to an actual lawyer here because it is my understanding that the dealer has absolutely no obligation regarding any of your insurance and that the responsibility is purely yours to both purchase and provide proof of insurance. The fact that you left without insurance does not constitute negligence on their part because the only obligation the dealer has is to do enough to get you registered with tags and title so the car is legal to drive. Insurance is on you, unless there is a specific law within your state that says the onus is on the dealership to make certain the customer is covered before leaving.

And if you financed the car, technically you didn't purchase the car, the financing company did, and I'm willing to bet there is a clause in the loan documents that says it is the customer's responsibility to provide adequate insurance. And if you paid cash, it's still on you because you have to provide your own insurance.

Not trying to be a downer, I just don't think you have much of a case to place blame on the dealer.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 09:49:15 AM »

Good question. The other important detail is whether you financed the car or paid cash. No lender would give you money for a car without having it well insured.
Brad new, 2017. 30 miles on it, dealer set up all the financing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 10:01:11 AM »
I googled out of curiosity and multiple "legal forums" say the dealer has no liability here. I hope in your case, they do.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »
I googled out of curiosity and multiple "legal forums" say the dealer has no liability here. I hope in your case, they do.
Yeah, that's what I've been coming up with as well.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 10:11:30 AM »

Brad new, 2017. 30 miles on it, dealer set up all the financing.

I'm with Barto on this one. I'm incredibly surprised you got financed through a lender if you didn't have full coverage on the vehicle already coordinated with your insurer as part of the sale.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 10:16:46 AM »
^Same here^
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 11:43:49 AM »
There's no way this isn't a pretty bad situation for you. Whether or not it closer to "real bummer" than "total catastrophe" is up in the air. How badly damaged is the car? You used "T-boned" and "sideswiped" in the description, and they're very different things. T-bone Usually means total loss, while sideswipe is frequently just some minor body damage. I hate to put it this way, but if the car could get away with $2-3k worth of body repair and paint, that's likely to be a pretty good outcome for you. If the car's a puddle of molten Ford somewhere then there's going to need to be a, well, creative solution to minimizing your loss and you should spend your first month's payment on some legal advice.

Real sorry this went down. Gotta be a huge bummer. And something I'll throw out there, though not particularly a bright side, is that even if you had comprehensive insurance you'd still be in a pretty big hole with the finance company if it's majorly damaged, as most people don't get gap coverage. The dealer wants all of his car money plus fees and finance charges, and the folks at Allstate were only gonna give you a settlement based on the depreciated value, which if you were lucky would be 90%.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 11:48:20 AM »
I offered proof of insurance, but I had liability on my old car that I traded in. The dealership told me I needed full coverage, but they did not inform me I needed it to even drive the car off the lot. With that lack of information, I assumed I had a grace period.

My insurance agent thinks I might have a lawsuit on my hands.

Uh, grace period doesn't apply if all you had was liability.  Full coverage on a new car would be a policy update and that's your responsibility before you drive it off the lot.
Good luck with that.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »
Damage estimate was about 10k.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 12:09:59 PM »
Did it come with those tints new?

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »
So the entire passenger side of the car.Yeah that's a pretty hefty bill. Front and rear quarters, both doors, front and rear bumpers, plus since the fenders and wheels were hit, four wheel alignment at least. Damn, dude, I'm really sorry this happened.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 12:25:29 PM »
Man, hang in there MJ.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 12:49:21 PM »
MJ, you should still talk to a lawyer regardless.  I think it's a longshot, but you never know.  I don't know the law in your state, and I don't know how the arguments in these types of cases play out well enough to know what questions to ask you to tease out other potentially relevant facts.  A lawyer in your area will.  For instance, if the speeding teenager wasn't even visible when you began your turn because of the hill, and you were thus making a legal turn, the fact that he was speeding may perhaps override the general rule that right-of-way trumps.  Again, I don't know the intricacies of the vehicle code and how those rules are interpreted from state to state on these types of facts, but a lawyer in your area should.  If there is enough there to at least state a case, he may be able to get you a decent settlement even if there might not be enough there to get a likely win if it went to trial.  I generally hate lawyers who know they can't win a case using the threat and cost of litigation to leverage a settlement.  But if the kid was legitimately speeding and his own wrong was a significant factor in causing this mess, you might have a good argument.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
I'd talk to a lawyer simply because you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. This is a pretty bad situation. Aside from the fact that you might be on the hook for the repair, who's to say that kid that hit you isn't at Walgreens right now trying on cervical collars? I don't envision a scenario where shelling out a few hundred bucks for a consultation doesn't help you out considerably.
E.F. Benson

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »
That is an absolute nightmare, sorry you have to go through that...lord, that luck is shit. Such shit that you're probably due for some good luck at some point soon.

As someone that has legitimately been in the right with one of the two accidents I've been in and still, due to not talking to a lawyer (and the other party doing just that), ended up paying...listen to the above dudes. Even if it doesn't turn out in your favor, at least you know.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »
Agreed. Get the knowledge you need to attack the problem with as much information as you can get.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2017, 01:17:15 PM »
Oh man, sorry MJ that is so terrible.  Taking faults and all that out of the scenario and it's already pure shit to get into an accident after the purchase of a new vehicle.  I hope something works out so there's an affordable solution for you.  Sorry man.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2017, 01:24:41 PM »
When I bought my car the dealer paid for insurance through several days, until I gave proof of my own. Are you sure the dealer hasn't insured the vehicle? Talk to a lawyer. Seems odd that they would let you take it without even some form of temporary coverage on it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2017, 03:06:31 PM »
When I bought my car the dealer paid for insurance through several days, until I gave proof of my own. Are you sure the dealer hasn't insured the vehicle? Talk to a lawyer. Seems odd that they would let you take it without even some form of temporary coverage on it.

This is what I thought. My ex's mother worked at several dealers and I believe whenever she bought a new (or used) car, the car was covered until she transferred her shit over.

But that could be because she worked there, and this is CA so... yea idk
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2017, 09:19:16 AM »
Just be grateful that everyone survived.

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

It should not have taken this long for somebody to make a ANTR joke. You guys are slipping.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »
Fuck man, that sucks. Hope it works out MJ.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2017, 01:43:36 PM »
Insurance called me this morning and said because I had liability on my previous car, that's the coverage that extended to my new car and I'd be responsible for the damages.

Four hours later they called me and said if I paid the difference between liability and full coverage today, they'd pay the claim. I paid the difference and I'm looking at a 500 dollar deductible. I'm so happy I could cry. I almost did.