Author Topic: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread  (Read 109669 times)

Offline Mr. Ister

Re: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread
« Reply #1190 on: November 23, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »
The worst part was having to pay a million rupees to get them all decoded.  That was dumb.  I didn't mind collecting them, I had already picked up a couple of the charts exploring by chance, so it didn't seem like a ton of work.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1191 on: November 23, 2014, 02:35:42 PM »
All I can think about is Majora's Mask in 3D with all these awesome new features. New Mario and Zelda OOT are still the only games I ALWAYS play with 3D on. They're done perfectly so that I don't get a headache or eye aches and they really open the worlds up completely. AAAAHHHH!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1192 on: November 23, 2014, 07:43:18 PM »
Beat Wind Waker last night. Really good game. Did anyone else find the triforce shard collecting at the end a little tedious?
Only pretty much everyone who has played it. :lol

After finishing Skyward Sword I was going to play Ages/Seasons because, while I owned and played both of them, I never finished either. But somehow I ended up replaying Link's Awakening for the first time in more than 15 years first. Some aspects of it haven't aged all that well (the lack of direction given to Link between dungeons is a little annoying to me today, even if it wasn't a problem back in the 90's, and the seashell hunt was a bit tedious), but I'm enjoying playing it again, more than I thought I would.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1193 on: November 24, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »
I just started Twilight Princess and I've got to say, I love it so far. I'm through the Forest Temple.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1194 on: February 25, 2022, 04:43:22 PM »
Been playing Majora's Mask and really loving it. I really wish I would have played it when it first came out, but I might not have really appreciated it as a kid.

I always had Ocarina as my favorite, but I think MM might be taking that spot just for how much cool unique stuff is going on.

How about you guys, what's your favorite Zelda and why?

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1195 on: February 25, 2022, 05:29:44 PM »
My personal favorite is Breath of the Wild. I love the minimalist soundtrack and how much of the music is solo piano. I love the avant-garde nature of the overworld music, how it's just a selection of piano snippets played at random with no sense of direction - it fits the vibe of the game perfectly. I love the art style, the puzzles, the way the game feels to control, the gyro aiming for bows, the vibrant colors, how there's as much vertical freedom and exploration as how far and wide you can travel, the memorable landscapes, everything about it is lovely to me. There are things I don't like, too, but the pros far outweigh the cons. Having 120 mini-dungeons with physics based puzzles was awesome. Some of them were really ingenious. I just love spending time in that world. As of right now I have 1000 hours logged on it.

Followed by Ocarina/Majora, then Link's Awakening.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1196 on: February 25, 2022, 07:33:25 PM »
311 concert shirt just on sale now. So cool.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1197 on: February 25, 2022, 07:37:17 PM »
We should all say our age when responding too, for perspective.

45. Favorite is A Link to the Past. Still a game I could pop in at any time, and it will feel fresh. That first playthrough when I beat Aghanim, and the Dark World appeared, and I realized I wasn't even close to finishing the game, blew my mind.

The original Legend of Zelda is probably next. I never owned the game, but my best friend at the time did, and I was over at his house a lot. (he had more games than me, a big screen TV, a swimming pool...). He played more than me, but just helping him navigate the dungeons was a joy. An amazing achievement that stands the test of time.

I am too tired to rank them beyond here. In terms of actual real-time enjoyment, I was so immersed in Ocarina of Time, as much as any game at any point in my life. I don't know if I would still feel that joy now, as I do with ALttP and LoZ. I said in the other thread I missed out on MM at the time, and when I finally got to it, I needed a guide in a couple spots.

I wish BotW had come out when I was in my 20s, living alone, and didn't do much outside the house in my spare time. I would have loved the experience in getting lost in that world, instead of playing it in bits and pieces as I had to in current married with children life.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1198 on: February 25, 2022, 08:29:53 PM »
311 concert shirt just on sale now. So cool.

That's so funny. I spent the whole day today listening to 311 and playing Zelda  :lol

And for age, I am 34  and my progression is as follows:

Started with Link to the past around age 6, sucked at it but really enjoyed it.

It didn't really click fully until Ocarina which utterly blew my mind around age 11. I was aware of Majora, but it passed me by at the time.

Then played Zelda 1 soon after and really enjoyed it. Then Zelda 2 and to this day, couldn't get more than 30mins in unfortunately.

It was up and down from there until Botw which got me back into the series, and now loving Majora's Mask with a dedicated playthrough for the first time. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 08:42:26 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1199 on: February 25, 2022, 08:44:55 PM »
Get out! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1200 on: February 25, 2022, 10:26:31 PM »
I'm 31.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: February 25, 2022, 10:48:55 PM »
Then Zelda 2 and to this day, couldn't get more than 30mins in unfortunately.

I remember my parents buying this for me; it was probably the only top tier NES game I got before by best friend at the time, who had a ton of games (and a wealthy family) and always got all the best games before anyone else. I felt so cool having him ask me to borrow my game, instead of the other way around. Getting started in that game coming off the original shook the brain cells a bit. Soon enough it still felt like a Zelda game (which may sound weird, considering there were only 2 at the time) and aside from a few challenges, was a fun game to get through. I played it again many years later and the nostalgia level was high, but if that wasn't there I can't say how much I would have enjoyed it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1202 on: February 26, 2022, 07:37:32 AM »
Just wanna throw out Skyward Sword, I only played it once through but it was another top tier Zelda for me along with the others mentioned.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1203 on: February 26, 2022, 07:55:40 AM »
The Capcom gameboy games are my favourites, partially because I played those the most as a kid.

My most recent Zelda was the Switch version of Skyward Sword. But I lost interest in skyward Sword quite quickly. A bit straightforward and slow. Maybe I'll retry in the future but I doubt it is for me. Lovely style and atmosphere though. I felt the same about Twilight Princess on the Wii.

I guess I have always preferred the 2d Zelda games. Looking forward to checking out Link Between Worlds one of these days, I have heard it is very good.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1204 on: February 26, 2022, 11:35:54 AM »
I hope Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD come to the Switch soon. That way we'll have almost every main Zelda game available. Admittedly, I only really want the Oracle games because those are two of my favorite Zelda games, and I don't like Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, or Spirit Tracks at all so I'm fine if those get left behind. I am jonesing to run through every Zelda game in a marathon though and it would be nice to do it on one console.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1205 on: February 27, 2022, 06:17:38 AM »
Just turned 33 - and Favorite Zelda game is BOTW. That game is just something else. Before that, it was Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past. I played all 3 of these games soo many times, including the Ocarina of Time, Master Quest version, which has different dungeons.

I liked Majora's Mask, though I haven't play it in over a decade. It's a really unique game with an interesting story. It's #4 on my top 5 (#5 is Twilight Princess). But for those that did not play the original, just a quick thing in case you did not know. In order to play the game you needed to install an "Expansion Pak" on your N64, which at least for me, it was hard to find one and kind of annoying. I had a friend who was able to buy one and we all used to take turns using it until most of us got our hands on one as well.

Also, for Christmas this year I got the Zelda Game and Watch, which includes the Original Game, Zelda II and Link's Awakening.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1206 on: February 27, 2022, 06:20:33 AM »
Just wanna throw out Skyward Sword, I only played it once through but it was another top tier Zelda for me along with the others mentioned.

Skyward Sword gets a lot of disliked for some reason and I don't understand why. It was a fine with weird controller mechanics, but overall it was fun.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1207 on: February 27, 2022, 06:49:19 AM »

Skyward Sword gets a lot of disliked for some reason and I don't understand why. It was a fine with weird controller mechanics, but overall it was fun.

Skyward Sword... I have a hard time being fair to it. It was unfun back in 2011 and it's unfun in 2022, imo. The controls still suck even though they adapted them to a normal controller. Trying to control the camera and do basically anything else is annoying. The game itself seems to rest on laurels earned back in 1998. Each game following Ocarina followed its template but expanded all the tedious and less fun aspects of Zelda games than the good ones. Skyward Sword has great dungeon design, but the story stinks and the characters are even worse. It goes out of its way to point out obvious, redundant information to you. The controls aren't fun, especially on a normal controller, trying to control the camera is a major hassle. The world is empty, ugly, and boring with almost nothing to do. Retreading those same few areas throughout the whole game doesn't make it any better. Combat is okay, I like how the direction you swing your controller is reflected in the game and on the enemies' shields. Also the game's lore fundamentally undermines Ganondorf who is one of my favorite Zelda characters. It simply ruins his character and removes a lot of the gravitas to what he is about especially in Wind Waker, because it just comes down to "oh he's just Demise 2.0 and hates Link and Zelda" instead of the whole story about trying to save his desert kingdom. That really annoys me and I don't want them to go back to Demise at all. I'm really hoping that's actually Ganondorf in the BOTW 2 trailer and not Demise. (Also, I hate the character designs in Skyward Sword. They're just as bad as Twilight Princess's, except they somehow feel even lower quality.) Then there's the whole thing about how long it takes to get through the beginning (exactly the same reason I've never beaten Twilight Princess a second time - the beginning takes sooooo long to get through and it's dull as rocks).

As proven by the Switch version it would definitely take more than remapped controls (and even the remapped controls need remapping) for me to enjoy it and that hurts because I love Zelda so much. To this day I'm still shocked by what a disappointment SS is. One word to describe it: lazy. So when Breath of the Wild dropped and it basically took over my entire 2017... and 2018... yeah I was surprised  :lol

edit: that was a lot of ranting, sorry, I just can't help myself when someone says they aren't sure why SS gets hate  :lol :metal
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 06:57:02 AM by Melphina »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1208 on: February 28, 2022, 07:42:50 AM »
Now that I'm further into Majora's Mask, I know there's no conceivable way I could have gotten the most out of it if I played it as a kid. I probably would have just went to the 4 dungeons, finished the game and moved on with my life.

The whole "game with-in a game" aspect of following people around, sticking to schedules and helping them solve their problems definitely would have gone over my head back then, but now as an adult I'm really appreciating it. It really is an entire new type of game hidden with-in a Zelda game. Wild.   

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1209 on: February 28, 2022, 07:51:09 AM »
I remember the quest to get the Bunny Hood was annoying, but useful to move around faster.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1210 on: February 28, 2022, 01:03:46 PM »
The pirate fortress. So many bottles... multiple trips in and out  :censored

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1211 on: November 08, 2023, 08:51:52 AM »
So it seems that a live-action Zelda movie is officially in development with Sony.

To say that it worries me what they'll do is an understatement  :lol an animated Mario movie works. A live action Zelda...I have my doubts, even if it is my favorite game franchise. But I'll trust Nintendo. If it is just a descent enough movie I'll be happy.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1212 on: November 08, 2023, 08:57:21 AM »
The mario movie was actually entertaining. I was afraid I would hate it. However... if Link has any verbal lines, I'm not sure how my brain will handle it.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1213 on: November 08, 2023, 09:04:06 AM »
The Mario movie was great, and it was really nice how they incorporated so many different Mario games into the movie. But with Zelda, and live action at that, I just can't picture how it would work. Yes, Link saying anything but:

will break my brain lol but at Nintendo's pace, this movie won't come out until 2030  :lol so we have plenty of time

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1214 on: November 08, 2023, 10:37:38 AM »
They should have some courage and make it a silent movie. Have it deliver purely though ambience and soundscape.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: November 08, 2023, 08:28:29 PM »
I remember someone commenting on how in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Eastwood's character is really taciturn, especially considering the film's length and the size of his role. Such that when he did speak, if only a couple words, or even with a glare, it carried weight. They could totally make Link work in that style.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1216 on: November 11, 2023, 08:40:55 AM »
People have been clamoring for a Zelda movie for as long as I've been aware of Zelda, and I have to admit, I do not get it. I don't really see any way it can be good and also be true to the games, because, you know, they're games. Zelda games barely even have a story, and the story they do have is really bare bones and archetypal good vs. evil stuff. I don't think that's bad, it works great for a game you'll play for 50 hours that has maybe 30 minutes of story strewn throughout it, but makes zero sense for a movie.

Link doesn't have a voice or even a personality, really, since he's a player controlled character, apart from generally being 'good.' Again, great for a game. Not good for a movie. And sure they could change all of that, but at that point, why? What benefit is there?

For some reason there's this idea that becoming a movie, specifically a live-action movie, is the ultimate endstate for any piece of media. Books? Gotta make them into movies so people will watch them since no one reads. Video games, audience is too small, let's water it down and turn it into a generic movie everyone can just barely tolerate. Even stuff like animated shows or movies suffer from the same thing, where for some reason we have to turn them into live action so people can enjoy them. Like the Last Airbender, despite the cartoon being pretty much perfect and perfectly suited to the medium it's told in.

I'm annoyed by this, I guess is what I'm saying here.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1217 on: November 12, 2023, 06:35:43 AM »
Zelda games barely even have a story,

You made some good points that I agree with, but you lost me here.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1218 on: November 21, 2023, 11:18:54 AM »
The Mario movie was great, and it was really nice how they incorporated so many different Mario games into the movie. But with Zelda, and live action at that, I just can't picture how it would work. Yes, Link saying anything but:

will break my brain lol but at Nintendo's pace, this movie won't come out until 2030  :lol so we have plenty of time

I would love it if this line is uttered by Link, but in a more subtle way. Like, he's trying to get by her in a small space or something, "Ah, well, excuse me Princess." It would make me chuckle.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.