Author Topic: Styx appreciation  (Read 83338 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Styx appreciation
« Reply #245 on: June 24, 2017, 07:51:42 PM »
I think Dennis was moving towards softer music and while a ballad here and there is ok they still in essence was a rock band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #246 on: June 25, 2017, 07:10:06 AM »
Finally discovered why I am disappointed in this.  No-one in Styx was the main songwriter, Will Evankovich was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mission_(Styx_album)

I thought it just missed Dennis' melodic sense, it looks like it is more than that.  Again, I do like the album; it just doesn't sound like Styx songwriting and now I know why.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: June 25, 2017, 08:13:21 AM »
Finally discovered why I am disappointed in this.  No-one in Styx was the main songwriter, Will Evankovich was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mission_(Styx_album)

I thought it just missed Dennis' melodic sense, it looks like it is more than that.  Again, I do like the album; it just doesn't sound like Styx songwriting and now I know why.

You mean storyline by Tommy Shaw and Will Evenkovich?  The guy that produced and engineered the album.

Also the credits are "All Songs Written by Tommy Shaw, Will Evenkovich, Lawrence Gowan,  and James Young.  Where do you get that they were not the main songwriter.  It's a collaboration with all the main writers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: June 25, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »
BTW, I got my info from the album.  Not wikipedia.  In the album there is no breakdown to who wrote the individual songs.  So who is updating that info when it's not on the album credits?

Edit:  They do have the credits for each song.  Let me look at them.

Second Edit: The Wiki is misleading.  They have Will as the first credited when in the album he is always the last credit for the music or the lyrics.  I think he's just a musician that they liked working with as a producer and engineer and he help structure this concept album with them and they liked his input and guidance.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: June 25, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »
I just read this connection as well about Will.  I never knew this and I have a few Shaw/Blades albums.

"The Mission is partially the brainchild of Tommy Shaw and producer Will Evankovich, who is the third man in Shaw Blades’ live show and has worked with Tommy on various other projects including his orchestra show last year in Cleveland"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #250 on: June 25, 2017, 08:32:12 AM »
I wish Tommy Shaw would take a year off from Styx's never-ending nostalgia touring and do another album of original material with Jack Blades.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: June 25, 2017, 08:34:59 AM »
I wish Tommy Shaw would take a year off from Styx's never-ending nostalgia touring and do another album of original material with Jack Blades.

They seem to tour every year now.  Finally backing a new album I might have to see them again.  I do hope to hear another Shaw/Blades album like you are wishing for Kev.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #252 on: June 25, 2017, 08:38:48 AM »
I held out for a 3rd Damn Yankees album for as long as I could remember, but finally accepted that that would never happen (I wonder if Ted Nugent turning into a total nut job sealed the deal on that). 

I'll take a Shaw/Blades album in a heartbeat. The way their voices blend together has a very Simon & Garfunkel-esque quality.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: June 25, 2017, 08:40:11 AM »
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the 3rd album was recorded but never released?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #254 on: June 25, 2017, 08:40:46 AM »

Should've done that with the first two.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: June 25, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »

Should've done that with the first two.

:lol  you dirty......

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #256 on: June 25, 2017, 09:39:31 AM »
Second Edit: The Wiki is misleading.  They have Will as the first credited when in the album he is always the last credit for the music or the lyrics.  I think he's just a musician that they liked working with as a producer and engineer and he help structure this concept album with them and they liked his input and guidance.
Maybe I made a bad assumption based on that - but they don't sound like Styx songs to me.  Shaw has always had a distinctive sound and this isn't it.  Again, I find it to be a very good, solid, nice album.  Just not a very strong Styx album.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: June 25, 2017, 09:40:31 AM »
Oh I get ya.  To each their own.  I'm just really digging it myself.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #258 on: June 25, 2017, 09:42:35 AM »
Oh I get ya.  To each their own.  I'm just really digging it myself.
Recent CDs from long term bands, I love the new Iced Earth, think the Styx is OK and the Buckingham/Christine McVie CD is a god awful snooze fest (and I like Buckingham a lot usually).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: June 25, 2017, 09:44:12 AM »
I stayed away from Buckingham/McVie.  the New Kansas was not bad at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #260 on: June 25, 2017, 09:49:17 AM »
Maybe I made a bad assumption based on that - but they don't sound like Styx songs to me.  Shaw has always had a distinctive sound and this isn't it.  Again, I find it to be a very good, solid, nice album.  Just not a very strong Styx album.

They are songs written and played by the band currently known as Styx.  How can it not sound like Styx?  This is what Styx sounds like currently.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #261 on: June 25, 2017, 09:53:50 AM »

They are songs written and played by the band currently known as Styx.  How can it not sound like Styx?  This is what Styx sounds like currently.
Not looking for a fight, it just doesn't sound like Styx to me.  Of course, only half (Chuck seems part time) of the classic lineup is here so I guess that's not a big surprise.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #262 on: June 25, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »
I am not looking to argue either. I am just saying, if this is what Styx sounds like now, then it does sound like Styx.  Imagine if the internet had been around in 1976. Fans would have been like, "OMG, Crystal Ball does not sound like Styx. Who is this Tommy Shaw guy, writing a song that doesn't sound like Styx?"  Make sense?  :)

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #263 on: July 09, 2017, 01:59:18 PM »
Ok, now this album (The Mission) is amazing to me. It took a few listens to sink in but I now think this is some of their best work ever! Right up there with Pieces of Eight, Grand Illusion etc.
 It's funny how some of my favorite albums of all time, I didn't like at first. That has happened with Rush and Dream Theater too, lol.
The Mission has alot of prog elements, and the story while simple takes you on a great adventure. Radio Silence and The Outpost are now amongst the best Styx songs of all time imo, Red Storm is epic too. The rest of the album is strong throughout. Tommy Shaw and Lawrence Gowan shine on this album and Todd Sucherman's drumming is awesome. He is very capable of playing for a band like DT, but he doesn't need to as he has a great gig with Styx. James Young is great on this album too.
 I would like to see this album played live in its entirety. The spaceship sounds are a bonus too throughout the album..

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #264 on: July 09, 2017, 02:18:49 PM »
And you didn't even mention what might be the best song from it: Locomotive.  :tup :tup

But yeah, this album is still sounding really good.  How it ages, as always, will be the test of how it compares to the classics, but I think it's got a great shot at breaking the top 5.

Radio Silence should have been the lead single from it.  That would have gotten a much more positive response, I think, than Gone x3.

I cannot remember if i said this already or not, but the back to back of Time May Bend and Ten Thousand Ways is the sleeper section of the record.

Unfortunately, the nature of their current tour - a triple bill with two other older acts - makes playing all of it impossible. You can't have Felder and REO playing all of their classic hits and then Styx come out and play all of their new album. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: July 09, 2017, 03:17:43 PM »
I'll assume they'll tour for it after this summer tour.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #266 on: July 09, 2017, 03:38:34 PM »
And you didn't even mention what might be the best song from it: Locomotive.  :tup :tup

I did!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #267 on: July 09, 2017, 05:31:32 PM »
Yes indeed, Locomotive is awesome! Also The Greater Good is a nice melodic song where Gowan and Shaw trade off vocal parts.
I agree about Radio Silence being a much better single.  This album would be almost perfect if they ended it with a epic masterpiece. The song Mission to Mars makes the album go out on a light hearted happy note,, haha, almost cheesy yet somewhat charming..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #268 on: July 09, 2017, 09:46:35 PM »
I'll assume they'll tour for it after this summer tour.

Wonder if they could pull off normal arenas or if they'd have to cut down to smaller venues. I doubt they can draw like they used to.  I'd love to see Styx at a venue that seats 2-3 K.

I did!!!

Sorry, it got lost in all of your Winger chatter.  :biggrin:

Yes indeed, Locomotive is awesome! Also The Greater Good is a nice melodic song where Gowan and Shaw trade off vocal parts.
I agree about Radio Silence being a much better single.  This album would be almost perfect if they ended it with a epic masterpiece. The song Mission to Mars makes the album go out on a light hearted happy note,, haha, almost cheesy yet somewhat charming..

It has grown on me as the closer.  It's a fun little song.  And the album is short enough to where they didn't really need a long closer.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #269 on: July 10, 2017, 03:26:19 AM »
I don't think they could pull off arena shows for that album by themselves. I agree about the 2-3k venues. This would make for a great Theater show..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #270 on: July 12, 2017, 08:17:52 PM »
Agreed. On their comeback tour in '96, it was a double bill with Kansas.  They haven't been a band that can fill arenas/amphitheaters regularly for a long time.

Still, I am not sure they'd wanna take the monetary hit to play smaller venues alone.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: July 12, 2017, 08:23:36 PM »
What's wrong with that?  Who's under the illusion that they can play 10,000 + arenas as a headliner?  Who cares? 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: July 12, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
Tommy really shines on this album. The drumming is great, and the rest of the instrumentation is solid, but I am only really captivated when Tommy's singing lead.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #273 on: July 13, 2017, 02:21:08 AM »
Tommy Shaw is right up there amongst my favorite musicians of all time,, bad-ass singer/guitar player with great stage presence! He also writes really good songs..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2017, 09:33:19 PM »
I read an interview where it was revealed that the album was definitely the brain child of Tommy Shaw's, which does not surprise me.  Having him sing the vast majority of the lead vocals was the smart move, since some fans do not want to hear the poor man's DDY sing too much, and JY's voice is almost cartoonish now; it's no surprise that his song is the worst on the record (unless we count the 14-second segueway they called All Systems Stable).

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #275 on: July 14, 2017, 03:22:15 AM »
I actually think Gowan is great on this album, he is a significant part of Styx now and I'm really digging it!  Excellent musician..

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: July 14, 2017, 07:24:46 AM »
I'm not with you Kev on Gowan.  I like his voice.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #277 on: July 16, 2017, 07:09:45 AM »
It doesn't bother me that much on this record, but I am still not a fan. 

I have went recently and listen to some of the songs from the Wooden Nickel era and was reminded that there are some gems in there.  Lady is their only "known" song from the first four albums, but Best Thing is a really good song I had forgotten about; I love the acoustic breakdown in the middle when JY sings. Man of Miracles, You Need Love, Winner Take All and I'm Gonna Make You Feel It are all highly enjoyable as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #278 on: August 04, 2017, 07:46:02 AM »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #279 on: August 04, 2017, 07:53:03 AM »
That's just sad.  I mean, I feel sorry for the guy, but it's obvious to everyone in the world except him that it's just not gonna happen.  Tommy Shaw could say a lot more, but just saying they've gone their separate ways really does sum it up.  They're not the same people they were in the 70's and 80's, their musical and personal goals don't align, so there's no way a band is going to work.  Plus, what are they going to do, kick Gowan out?  That would be like DT kicking Mangini out so Portnoy could come back.  Not gonna happen.  (And yeah, I went there, because the parallels are obvious and it would've happened anyway.)

To be clear, I too would love another album with the classic lineup.  I'm just not deluded enough to think that it will happen.  Styx is doing fine without him, so Dennis is right about one thing: it's up to them.  And they've made their position clear.