Author Topic: Styx appreciation  (Read 83114 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Styx appreciation
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2015, 05:46:26 AM »
Let me drop this on you folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&v=P_rs3mQBzfo&x-yt-ts=1421914688
Yea said it before, Todds a beast.

On a side note: I also had no idea Ted Nugent was in Damn Yankees but on the other hand I had no idea who any of those guys were back then. Basically I didn't knew shit about the band only their music.  :lol #No Internet #Teen #Clueless
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:53:06 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2015, 07:14:08 AM »
Speaking of solo Tommy Shaw, I may have said this before, but his solo album from the late 90s, 7 Deadly Zens, is fantastic.  Songs like Down on the Ground, Half a Mind, A Place to Call My Own and Who I Am are all tremendous. Check them out if you have time. :coolio

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2015, 10:01:04 AM »
I need to get that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2015, 09:35:20 PM »
Let me drop this on you folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&v=P_rs3mQBzfo&x-yt-ts=1421914688
Yea said it before, Todds a beast.

On a side note: I also had no idea Ted Nugent was in Damn Yankees but on the other hand I had no idea who any of those guys were back then. Basically I didn't knew shit about the band only their music.  :lol #No Internet #Teen #Clueless

I knew about them thanks to the old magazine of Kerrang!, there's some pro shot live footage on YT and an official video, they sounded pretty good live and threw in Nugent/Night Ranger/Styx covers.

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2015, 07:43:24 AM »
Big Styx fan here.  Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight, Paradise Theater, and even Kilroy pop up occasionally in my phone's shuffle. 
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »
Basically I didn't knew shit about the band [Damn Yankees] only their music.  :lol #No Internet #Teen #Clueless

I will second that. I knew Ted Nugent because songs like Stranglehold because it cropped up on my local classic rock channel all the time, even though I didn't like his stuff. And I knew the short blonde guy was in the band who did Come Sail Away, which was all I knew of him or that band. I had no idea who the other two guys were. I'm still not sure I do today.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2015, 12:59:26 PM »
The drummer was a total no-name.

The bass player/co-lead singer was Jack Blades, who had the same role in Night Ranger (most known for Sister Christian, which Blades did not sing lead on).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2015, 01:30:07 PM »
The drummer was a total no-name.
He was the drummer from Tommy Shaw's solo band, before Damn Yankees was formed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2015, 07:54:21 PM »
Michael Cartellone is from Lynyrd Skynyrd, but I think that was after DY. According to Wikipedia he's played with some other giant names too.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2015, 02:50:16 PM »
My Styx tribute band is playing in Riverside, California this Saturday (3/14) - Check it out!!!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=853117094745818&set=vb.100001426055668&type=2&theater

Tickets (only $12) - https://www.theconcertlounge.com/calendar.html

SUPER excited for this, we had an incredible two gigs this past weekend, and now this one is a full two-hour Styx show. It'll include all the hits PLUS a lot of surprises. Die-hards will LOVE it, as will the whole audience. As it says in that post, we're going under the name Rockin' the Paradise, but it's the same 5 guys as in One With Everything (if you've seen the posts a couple pages back) with the addition of an amazing singer/frontman, who is the creator of RTP.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2015, 08:21:16 PM »
Come to the Boston area and I'm there! Hope the show goes well! I'd love to see the setlist after the show.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: April 21, 2017, 02:10:46 PM »
STYX To Release First Studio Album In 14 Years, 'The Mission'

"The Mission", STYX's sixteenth studio album and its most ambitious, most challenging, and most rewarding release to date, will arrive on June 16 via the band's label, Alpha Dog 2T/UMe.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/styx-to-release-first-studio-album-in-14-years-the-mission/

Styx - Gone Gone Gone

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #152 on: April 21, 2017, 02:27:42 PM »
Not terrible.  I remember when the single Waiting for our Time was released - 14 years ago.  That was a good single release... I don't ever remember checking out the album though.

Man, these guys have a lot of miles under the hood.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #153 on: April 21, 2017, 02:31:49 PM »
I really dig Cyclorama.  Check it out Chad.  I've been pissing and moaning wanting Styx to make another album of new material.   Finally.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #154 on: April 21, 2017, 05:43:37 PM »
Well shit. I never thought I'd see another Styx album.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #155 on: April 21, 2017, 07:33:17 PM »
I am not a fan of Lawrence Gowan's voice, so that song was pretty blah to me, but I am hopeful that we'll get plenty of good songs with Tommy Shaw on lead vocals.  All I can do is hope.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2017, 09:49:28 PM »
First Kansas puts out their first new album in over a decade last fall, and now Styx? Wow, I may have to check it out. Styx have never really settled with me but I enjoy most of their albums and songs, and have always meant to dig into them deeper.

Looks like it'll be a 14-track concept album running about 43 minutes long, which explains why the single is so short. Interesting concept, too! Having been 2 years in the making, I hope it's all top-notch stuff!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2017, 10:33:55 PM »
YEEESSS! YES!!!!!! YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! FINAALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been waiting almost my whole life  :lol

Cyclorama was one of the best rock albums of the decade, why on EARTH have they waited so long to follow it up!!?  :metal :metal :corn :corn

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2017, 10:53:39 PM »
Man, these guys have a lot of miles under the hood.

Indeed.  Their breakthrough album, The Grand Illusion, is 40 years old this year, and it was their seventh album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2017, 08:00:13 AM »
First Kansas puts out their first new album in over a decade last fall, and now Styx? Wow, I may have to check it out. Styx have never really settled with me but I enjoy most of their albums and songs, and have always meant to dig into them deeper.

The deep tracks/non-hits from albums like The Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight and Equinox are mostly fantastic.  They were great at channeling a prog vibe, while never jumping into the deep water of prog.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2017, 10:18:57 AM »
I might be going to see Styx and REO this summer, should be a good show.
The recent Styx blu-ray/dvd Pieces of Eight is excellent! I highly recommend if you haven't seen it.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: April 22, 2017, 02:20:44 PM »
I just wanna say that Todd is slowly becoming one of my favourite drummers and i'm surprised I discovered him so late given i've played drums for so long but for some reason he's slipped under my radar. I saw Styx at a festival a couple of years ago and I was blown away during his solo, i'm like who the hell is this guy and how come i've never heard of him. He has such a clear and firm grasp of his technique and his stick control is pretty much flawless imo.

I highly recommend his drum lesson he did a couple of days ago on Drumeo.

Todd Sucherman: "Sounds & Choices"

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #162 on: April 22, 2017, 03:35:43 PM »
Cyclorama was one of the best rock albums of the decade, why on EARTH have they waited so long to follow it up!!?
Musically it was OK.  Certainly not close to their best.  But there was absolutely no reason for all the nasty lyrics directed at Dennis.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: April 22, 2017, 04:04:27 PM »
Dennis deserved it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2017, 04:14:42 PM »
Deserve's got nothing to do with it. ;)  Some of the lyrics came off as petulant and vindictive. 

That said, it was a still good album with a handful of really good tunes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2017, 04:25:33 PM »
We only heard some of him hijacking the band.  I'll assume it was really bad for them to have those lyrics.

Sometimes one person in a band let's his ego get in the way.  (DeYoung, Perry, Waters)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2017, 04:38:52 PM »
I have no doubt about that, but I am still not going to excuse lyrics like that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2017, 04:55:19 PM »
Deserve's got nothing to do with it. ;)   

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: April 22, 2017, 05:04:43 PM »
 :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2017, 08:30:17 PM »
Sometimes one person in a band let's his ego get in the way.  (DeYoung, Perry, Waters)

See now, if we were in DT side, someone would invariably mention MP here.   :lol

As much of a tool that DeYoung is, for me... he is the voice of Styx.  Larry Gowan (I refuse to acknowledge him as Laurence) just doesn't click for me.  He was good in the 80s, but him+Styx just doesn't sound right.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2017, 08:31:53 PM »
What did Gowan do in the 80's. I never heard of him before Styx.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #172 on: April 22, 2017, 08:40:36 PM »
I wish I had still never heard of him.  :lol His voice smacks of being a poor man's Dennis DeYoung, but without the charm or warmth, and the way he acts on stage, as seen in that new video, is embarrassing and laughable.  It reminded me of when my brother and I saw them and Yes on their double bill tour 5-6 years ago and how many times we exchanged "holy shit, that guy is ridiculous" looks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2017, 08:41:15 PM »
What did Gowan do in the 80's. I never heard of him before Styx.

He auditioned for Michael Schenker and turned the job down.

LOL.

He had a couple of very well known solo albums - not up your alley though.  Strange Animal was all over Much Music/MTV.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2017, 08:46:13 PM »
Not that well known.