Author Topic: Styx appreciation  (Read 83243 times)

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
Re: Styx appreciation
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »
If men who do things their wives want them to do are whipped, what are women who do things their husbands want them to do?

Fairy tales.

:(
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2013, 12:51:30 PM »
It was the choice of words, and obviously I'm just kidding anyway.  "She made me go" sounds so much worse than "My wife wanted to go, so I took her."  There are things we do for our loved ones, we all do it, we don't always talk about it.  But the minute you say your wife made you do it, to me it just conjures up the "whipped" image.

She didn't make you do it.  You ultimately changed your mind and did it to please her, because you are a thoughtful and loving man.

And the consequences for NOT doing it were simply not worth the bother.   ::) :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »
Exactly.  But still, it's all in how you present it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2013, 03:35:42 PM »
 :lol
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVtMcLu22m0 This song should have been a gigantic prog hit like Roundabout or something.  :metal I can't believe just how obscure this incredible song is! Maybe it's because JC quit before the tour of this album  :(

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2013, 04:27:18 PM »
"Mother Dear" is one of my favorite songs from Equinox.  I don't know if it could've been a radio hit, though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2013, 04:30:10 PM »
Mother Dear is easily one of my favorite songs by Styx from any era.  I remember getting Equinox, already knowing the three main hits pretty well, and being blown away by how great Mother Dear, Lonely Child and Born for Adventure all are.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2013, 04:55:28 PM »
And yea BFA is my other favorite from that album!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2013, 05:02:51 PM »
Equinox is actually pretty solid all the way through.  I played it recently during a road trip, just the wife and I, and she never asked me to change tunes, even sang along with some of them, and that's saying something.  I generally don't get through an entire album of anything when I'm not the only one in the car.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2013, 05:52:09 PM »
The past few days I've been listening to each Styx album in order really loudly while doing my school work. Today was Man of Miracles and Equinox  :biggrin:

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2015, 11:47:12 PM »
Alright my friends, I present to you... the ultimate Styx tribute band, here to take you on an exciting ride through the entire catalog of Styx music; everything from the chart-topping "The Grand Illusion" and "Come Sail Away" to the classic deep album cuts and never-before attempted live, "Grove of Eglantine" and everything in between!! To all lovers of Classic Rock and Prog, please enjoy the work of the 16-22 year old musicians of the ultimate tribute to Styx... ONE WITH EVERYTHING.

The Grand Illusion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnFvMUIsTTY
Half Penny Two Penny - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp8xJD0_PY0
The Grove of Eglantine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW2lPsKBt5Y

Enjoy and let me know what you think! More videos to come.  :) :biggrin:

Deriving its motivation from a genuine passion for every Styx album, ONE WITH EVERYTHING not only has the power to promise fans an impeccable evening of great rock songs, but more-so, has the aptitude to truly take its captivated audiences on an exciting, emotional journey through the elaborate story of STYX music through their performance.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2015, 05:14:23 AM »
Never having heard any Styx before I saw the Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight I think it is DVD cheap the other week.  I picked it up and am really surprised with it.  Great songs and performances, gotta check out their albums.  Miss America is killer.  The JY guy is legit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2015, 05:20:51 AM »
Never having heard any Styx before I saw the Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight I think it is DVD cheap the other week.  I picked it up and am really surprised with it.  Great songs and performances, gotta check out their albums.  Miss America is killer.  The JY guy is legit.

I own three Styx CDs; The Grand Illusion, Pieces Of Eight, and Paradise Theater. All three are killer. If you like JY, check out Snowblind off of Paradise Theater.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSXTu-WllZ8

Their current lineup (without Dennis DeYoung) has gotten high marks, though I am not really familiar with their performances.

I heavily recommend Dennis DeYoung's new live album; Dennis DeYoung And The Music Of Styx Live In Los Angeles.
His band is tight. I saw them last year. He doesn't just do the DeYoung songs, but the Tommy Shaw ones too. The guy in his band that does the "Tommy part" is incredible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2015, 05:40:16 AM »
If you like JY, check out Snowblind off of Paradise Theater.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSXTu-WllZ8

Not bad at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2015, 07:39:52 AM »

I've been lucky to see Styx 4 times live and they put on a great show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2015, 08:01:02 AM »

Is this your band? If so, which one are you?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2015, 11:07:20 AM »
Big, big Styx fan here, of all eras and albums. And I must say that this tribute band is AWESOME. I'm thouroughly impressed. Harmonies were great, playing was great, song choices are great (of the three I've seen, I'd love to see what a typical setlist is like with these guys). I am also really impressed with the JY guy, he sounds very close to the original. My only gripe is that the guy singing as Dennis sounds much more like Tommy Shaw, which makes me wonder if he's doing both parts. He's still a great singer, but it's a little strange hearing "Tommy" sing Grand Illusion!

I'd love to be in a Styx Tribute band myself, just because I love the deep tracks so much. A few I would include: Put Me On, Winner Take All, All In a Day's Work, Brave New World, Love at First Sight.... oh man, I'm probably going to list every song haha. Except Captain America. That song sucks! :laugh:

Anyway, I'd love to hear/see more videos from these guys. Where are they from? I'd love to catch them if I could.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2015, 02:28:06 AM »

Is this your band? If so, which one are you?

Yep! I'm the kid on the spinning keyboard.  :)

Big, big Styx fan here, of all eras and albums. And I must say that this tribute band is AWESOME. I'm thouroughly impressed. Harmonies were great, playing was great, song choices are great (of the three I've seen, I'd love to see what a typical setlist is like with these guys). I am also really impressed with the JY guy, he sounds very close to the original. My only gripe is that the guy singing as Dennis sounds much more like Tommy Shaw, which makes me wonder if he's doing both parts. He's still a great singer, but it's a little strange hearing "Tommy" sing Grand Illusion!

I'd love to be in a Styx Tribute band myself, just because I love the deep tracks so much. A few I would include: Put Me On, Winner Take All, All In a Day's Work, Brave New World, Love at First Sight.... oh man, I'm probably going to list every song haha. Except Captain America. That song sucks! :laugh:

Anyway, I'd love to hear/see more videos from these guys. Where are they from? I'd love to catch them if I could.

Thanks for the kind words and feedback!! Really cool to hear what you think. One of my main reasons for working so hard at this band is because I really want to give some justice to the incredible obscure Styx songs that so many people don't even know about. If you do catch us one day, you could very well end up getting to hear some songs that are on your wish list!

We are in Los Angeles, but I plan to get this to the level of being able to have out of state shows. Hopefully we'll be able to make that happen in the not-too-distant future!

I own three Styx CDs; The Grand Illusion, Pieces Of Eight, and Paradise Theater. All three are killer. If you like JY, check out Snowblind off of Paradise Theater.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSXTu-WllZ8

Their current lineup (without Dennis DeYoung) has gotten high marks, though I am not really familiar with their performances.

I heavily recommend Dennis DeYoung's new live album; Dennis DeYoung And The Music Of Styx Live In Los Angeles.
His band is tight. I saw them last year. He doesn't just do the DeYoung songs, but the Tommy Shaw ones too. The guy in his band that does the "Tommy part" is incredible.

The current lineup is awesome beyond words.. So awesome that I named my Styx tribute band after the song "One With Everything".. and I've seen them live 14 times in 10 years  :lol. Definitely give a listen to their GI/PO8 Live and the studio album "Cyclorama"- believe it or not that's probably my favorite Styx album (and that is not at all a slight to DDY, it's just a GREAT album).

I can definitely second what you said about DDY. I was at the concert they filmed for the DVD and I've seen them 3 times before then too. That band, especially now with August Zadra ("Tommy" guy), is phenomenal as well.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2015, 06:12:40 AM »
Saw Styx on a festival a couple of years ago without knowing much about them other than Mr Roboto and Todd Sucherman, what a beast of a drummer, seriously! They were great but the sound was pretty bad and they played on the middle of the day with not many people paying attention unfortunately. Other than that they were great and I checked them out more when I came home.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2015, 06:48:17 AM »
The line up they have now is killer.  I wish they'd make a new album.  I'd love to hear new music form them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2015, 10:09:42 AM »
I have the strongest urge to listen to Styx right now...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2015, 10:55:37 AM »
Go for it!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2015, 11:32:01 AM »
This thread inspired me to listen to Equinox and Pieces of Eight.  :)

Man, I'd forgotten how bright and happy this music was. Equinox is such a good time party record. I'm starting to think I've been listening to too much dark, modern music. This made my day.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2015, 11:35:09 AM »
This thread inspired me to listen to Equinox and Pieces of Eight.  :)

Man, I'd forgotten how bright and happy this music was. Equinox is such a good time party record. I'm starting to think I've been listening to too much dark, modern music. This made my day.

So true. Sometimes that's when I reach for an 80's album to make me happy.  Power Windows is such an uplifting ablum from the 80's.  Or, a little T & A music as well. :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2015, 12:36:19 PM »
Okay, now I'm listening to Crystal Ball...uh, the song Jennifer is making me completely uncomfortable!  :lol  Is anyone else bothered by grown men singing about having sex with a seventeen year old girl?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2015, 12:45:30 PM »
Okay, now I'm listening to Crystal Ball...uh, the song Jennifer is making me completely uncomfortable!  :lol  Is anyone else bothered by grown men singing about having sex with a seventeen year old girl?
..or 16.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUL_3hdFSEE

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »
:TAC:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2015, 02:14:53 PM »

I've been listening to Crystal Ball since I was about 15, so the idea of seeing a 17-year-old girl as a woman and worthy of love (or lust) was completely fine, and normal.  I guess it never occurred to me that this was a 20-something man (Dennis) writing and singing the song.  Completely tunnel vision there, I guess.  Teenagers tend to see themselves as "adults, pretty much" and listening to Crystal Ball takes me back to those days.  Reading the lyrics now... whoa.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2015, 02:24:46 PM »

I've been listening to Crystal Ball since I was about 15, so the idea of seeing a 17-year-old girl as a woman and worthy of love (or lust) was completely fine, and normal.  I guess it never occurred to me that this was a 20-something man (Dennis) writing and singing the song.  Completely tunnel vision there, I guess.  Teenagers tend to see themselves as "adults, pretty much" and listening to Crystal Ball takes me back to those days.  Reading the lyrics now... whoa.

Oh, I completely agree. It never occurred to me until now how completely unsettling it is. When the album was released I was 14 (I think) so "a child in her mother's eyes, but a woman every night" seemed totally cool to me then. It's only now, after not hearing the entire album for 20 years or better, that I cringe.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2015, 02:54:38 PM »
So Tommy Shaw is/was the lead singer in Damn Yankees! Funny how certain things slip you by after all these years. #90s ballads #Nostalgia #Hairspay
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2015, 03:31:39 PM »
So Tommy Shaw is/was the lead singer in Damn Yankees! Funny how certain things slip you by after all these years. #90s ballads #Nostalgia #Hairspay

Well, he and Jack Blades were co-lead singers, but yeah, they did some great stuff.  That 2nd album was damn great.

Also, the Shaw/Blades album from the mid 90s was really nice, too, albeit more laid back and not as rocking as the Damn Yankees stuff.

Great record.  The hits from it are great, but those deeper cuts in the middle of the record are tremendous, too.  Mother Dear is killer!

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2015, 07:39:21 PM »
The other weird thing is that Dennis had been married to Suzanne for many years before singing "Lorelei" and "Jennifer", I never got that  :lol

Let me drop this on you folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&v=P_rs3mQBzfo&x-yt-ts=1421914688
This.

Also, I must second KevShmev's comment- the second Damn Yankees album "Don't Tread" is absolutely killer.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2015, 02:41:59 AM »
It is, but I love the first album too.  Some great songs there.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2015, 05:16:03 AM »
I was lucky enough to see Tommy Shaw live as a solo act opening for The Kinks in 1983.  I was a wee lad.  15 years old.  The only concert I saw in the old Boston Garden in Boston.