Author Topic: Authentic Tortilla Chips  (Read 1025 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Authentic Tortilla Chips
« on: March 26, 2017, 06:48:18 PM »
There have been plenty of discussions here about authentic Mexican food (and el Barto, I'm hoping you'll have some input here), but what about bagged tortilla chips? In my experience, it's very hard to find chips anything like what you'll get in a half decent Mexican restaurant (or even a terrible Mexican restaurant), at least where I live in the Midwest. Anybody know of any brands that are widely distributed? There's one brand called Donkey Chips that are pretty good, but I have to drive like 40 miles to get to the only store that carries them.

And if you recommend something that looks/tastes like Tostitos or Chi-Chi's tortilla chips, I will punt a cat.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Authentic Tortilla Chips
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 06:58:51 PM »
Based on what I sell:

Xochitl https://salsaxochitl.com

Sage Valley Tortilla Chips

El Burrito Mercado Chips (local Hispanic store in St. Paul)

Better Chips (https://www.thebetterchip.com) Not really a tortilla chip, but corn chip, but super good. One of my favorites.

Xochitl is a good seller for us and people seem to like it. It doesn't have so much salt and has more of the taste I would expect from a good Tortilla chip. We used to sell Donkey Chips, but once we sold the other varieties, it kind of dropped off. Sage Valley is a better seller for us, we usually go through three pallets in the summer.

I've seen Better Chips outside of the midwest before, but the others I'm not so sure about
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 10:32:50 PM »
Tostitos. Because fuck cats.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 04:38:42 PM »
Tostitos. Because fuck cats.
Damnit. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 08:19:39 PM »
Well, I think the problem is that you are trying to find "authentic" tortilla chips in a bag to begin with.  REAL tortilla chips are just fried slices of tortilla with a sprinkling of salt.  You can't really bag that product.  It takes processing, preservatives, or both to give it shelf life and enough body to not become tortilla crumbs.  Best bet is to buy some tortillas and make your own.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »
Well yes, I acknowledge that issue. I really just want something that's a step up from Tostitos and their ilk, because they are just a totally different style. I'm definitely not expecting anything to be as good as it would be fresh at the restaurant.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 10:46:20 PM »
Bosk's tortilla chips and my tortilla chips are a different breed of animal. My recollection is that they like theirs a lot thicker out West. The Tex-Mex places all fry theirs up much lighter, using much thinner tortillas. They're more in the style of the bagged chips, just much better and fresh out of the fryer. They also vary widely from place to the next. Some are lighter than air, and some will injure you. Real Mexicans down here don't really do tortilla chips at all. If you ask them to smash up some avocados for you they'll fry up some tortillas but that's about it.

To answer your question, I don't have a whole lot to offer because we all buy chips that are pretty local. Any Kroger or Safeway is going to have plenty of chips fried up in Dallas or Austin. Some of the local chain restaurants will also sell theirs in the stores. You either get those or you just don't care and buy Tostitos to dunk in melted Velveeta and Rotel during major sporting events.

My recollection is that Xochitl chips don't really resemble any restaurant chips I've come across in Texas, Mexico or Cali. What I've got here now is el Milagro brand chips, which seem to come from 4 tortillerias in Il, and one each in Georgia and Austin (hence the availability here). Good flavor and light and crispy like a restaurant. But unless you're near one none of this helps you.

My best advice is if there are any Mexican grocery stores in your neck of the woods, they'll probably fry their own up. Even Fiesta sells pretty fresh chips. Or of course any place that makes tortillas or tamales. Even some local restaurants might sell you bags.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 11:21:54 PM »
Come to New Mexico. We have a lot of restaurants that offer great tasting tortilla chips. With some nice salsa and guacamole to compliment that nice crunchy taste.

If you can find Santitas or Mission, those are good.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 07:06:49 AM »
el Barto is right on the mark.  I don't mind Tostitos for what they are (and when I make my home-made guacamole, that's usually what I use) but any local restaurant will sell you a bag fresh, and he's right about the markets as well.   Just might take a little investigatory work.  Hell, even TGIFridays or Chili's can probably get you closer than "Tostitos" if you're a cat person.

(By the way, I like my "restaurant style" with salt and a splash of lime if handy).