Author Topic: All this time, still don't get the Mangini detractors  (Read 10345 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: All this time, still don't get the Mangini detractors
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2017, 02:32:40 AM »
Mangini lacks charisma in his playing. He's trying way too hard to sound like a robot. He even said his latest practice routine was trying to hit the snare the same way every time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2017, 09:05:05 AM »
Have I ? What I read into gzarruk's post is just another elaborate apologetic for why MM's playing is really awesome while it doesn't sound like it.

His post seemed mostly about how good Mangini's attitude has been and how well he has handled taking over for a guy who had been in the band for 20+ years.  It was more about his handling of the situation than his actual drumming.  That is how I read it.  We can quibble about how Mangini plays and how his drums sound till the cows come home, but a lot of drummers would have cracked under the pressure by now and reacted in a negative way to a lot of the unfair shit he gets on social media simply because he replaced Mike Portnoy.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »
Have I ? What I read into gzarruk's post is just another elaborate apologetic for why MM's playing is really awesome while it doesn't sound like it.

His post seemed mostly about how good Mangini's attitude has been and how well he has handled taking over for a guy who had been in the band for 20+ years.  It was more about his handling of the situation than his actual drumming.  That is how I read it.  We can quibble about how Mangini plays and how his drums sound till the cows come home, but a lot of drummers would have cracked under the pressure by now and reacted in a negative way to a lot of the unfair shit he gets on social media simply because he replaced Mike Portnoy.

Good post Kev, I agree. The worst thing we have got from MM is what, one cranky interview? I'd say that's pretty good all things considered. Once again, not talking about his playing, just his attitude.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 10:09:52 AM »
My first introduction to MM was the documovie "a drummers dream" on Netflix. If you haven't seen it, do it. It shows what Mike is like outside (this was before) DT. And you can see how amazing he is.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 10:46:19 AM »
My first introduction to MM was the documovie "a drummers dream" on Netflix. If you haven't seen it, do it. It shows what Mike is like outside (this was before) DT. And you can see how amazing he is.

Mine was seeing him play with Extreme on the Waiting For The Punchline tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2017, 12:49:22 PM »
Same here, King. I love that album.

I also saw him at the Hatch Shell in Boston with Tribe of Judah. Gary was climbing the scaffolding and MM was doing all kinds of antics. Fun show
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2017, 01:22:56 PM »
My buddy demoed few songs for TOJ before they went with MM.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2017, 01:43:53 PM »
mangini just posted a few photos of a session he's doing with Dave Grohl. The most interesting part wil probably his drumsound, which he says he's really digging. Maybe a good way to show the band what he thinks his drums should be like?? :)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2017, 01:47:31 PM »
I really hope MM gets a chance to show what he really thinks his drums should sound like.

That way, if people still don't like the sound, then the whole "but it's not his fault! it's the engineers!" can finally be laid to rest.

Just never got the idea that a great drummer automatically as perfect taste in drum sound. I haven't heard a single thing that indicates MM and I agree on what makes a good drum sound. It'll be good to finally be able to state that opinion without people telling me that I have no idea what MM wants a drum to sound like.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2017, 01:54:22 PM »

That's studio 606 with the Sound City Neve Mixing Board.

They made a movie all about the studio and that board and since that movie - Foo Fighters have used it precisely 0 times.

If the Foos next album isn't recorded in their own personal studio with the Sound City Neve they made a movie about - then something is wrong.

Or they made the movie just to advertise their studio.

I still think they made the Sonic Highways movie first and the songs were an afterthought.

Offline Adami

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »
Well even though I hate Pearl and I don't play Zildjian..........that is just a boner inducing picture right there.

Just lie to me and tell me I'm playing Tama and Sabian and I would go to town on that thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2017, 02:04:12 PM »
Tama and Sabian

:drool: :zydar:

fk yh I loved my tama drums.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2017, 02:07:31 PM »
I'll assume it's a smart business move to allow bands to record in his studio.  A second income, job and something he loves.....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2017, 02:27:37 PM »
It boggles my mind why they made such a fuss about it and a movie and still havent actually used it yet for a Foo Fighters album.

It would be like Kirk Hammett making a huge deal about getting the Peter Green Les Paul, made a film about it and then never actually used it on an album or tour. 

Also I never realised - unless he's changed it - that his cymbals are in 3 rows of 3 high.

Offline Adami

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »
Right side looks 3, 3, and 2.

Left side is 3, 2, 2.

TRY AGAIN KOTOWBOY!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2017, 02:32:51 PM »
Right side looks 3, 3, and 2.

Left side is 3, 2, 2.

TRY AGAIN KOTOWBOY!

I already changed it to what I meant the first time :P

If I could have any drummer's set up it would be Lars Ulrich...But his S&M kit with the extra splashes on. That kit sounded amazing. And it wasn't over the top.

Offline Adami

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2017, 02:34:57 PM »
Yea that is a really cool set (still had a ride too!) and didn't have coated tom heads.

I think if I had to pick ANY famous kit, it'd be one of Portnoys. Maybe the left side (his left) of the double monster kit. I only like 3 rack toms, and his purple monster had 4. But yea, just ditch the small side of the big monster kit and I think that'd be my fav.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »
MP's monster kit always seemed to be set up just right. Everything was in reach and nothing was hard to hit. It was perfect. I'd go with his BC&SL kit with the Bubinga shells
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2017, 02:46:01 PM »
The left side. . .

I'm not gonna let anyone tell me he NEEDED the right side for any reason other than to be excessive for the sake of it.

" but he needed different drums to play different songs "

Oh i'm sure MP gave that reason but if he played it on the main kit and the other kit never existed - nobody would say anything.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2017, 02:49:01 PM »
I thought he always said he liked to play older songs on the smaller side to approach the song in a different way.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2017, 03:11:33 PM »
:lolpalm: Im sure he did.

It's just an excuse to have a stupid sized drumkit on stage.

Nothing says look at me more than that.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2017, 03:30:57 PM »
Isn't that kind of setup in the pic above hell to record? I know cross bleed is a big issue in drum recording.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2017, 03:34:03 PM »
Depends if they use a few overheads and room mics or if every cymbal is close-miked up separately .

The latter is how they recorded The Astonishing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2017, 03:35:49 PM »

This  :tup

Don't know if any of you noticed, but that's Richard Chycki on the right. So, if some of you didn't like his mixes and/or drum sound, better not get too excited now  :lol (I have no problem with him or the sound he gets btw)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Adami

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »
Isn't that kind of setup in the pic above hell to record? I know cross bleed is a big issue in drum recording.

Only if you need to be able to mix each cymbal individually. They're far enough away from the drums that cross-bleed shouldn't be any worse than a normal drum set. And with 4 or so mics, you can get the cymbals pretty great and do a fine job it.

His DT kit is much more cluttered and thus harder.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »
Yeah this kit is one bass drum and about 4 or 5 toms smaller.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2017, 04:39:03 PM »
I really hope MM gets a chance to show what he really thinks his drums should sound like.

That way, if people still don't like the sound, then the whole "but it's not his fault! it's the engineers!" can finally be laid to rest.

Just never got the idea that a great drummer automatically as perfect taste in drum sound. I haven't heard a single thing that indicates MM and I agree on what makes a good drum sound. It'll be good to finally be able to state that opinion without people telling me that I have no idea what MM wants a drum to sound like.

He's gone on record that the drum sound that most captures how he hears the drums is Mullmuzzler 2, with Elements of Persuasion as an amped up version.

Offline Adami

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2017, 04:50:23 PM »

He's gone on record that the drum sound that most captures how he hears the drums is Mullmuzzler 2, with Elements of Persuasion as an amped up version.

Oh good, then I can definitively state that I don't like how his drums sound and no one can tell me I don't have enough info to say that!

Yay!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2017, 09:41:58 AM »
The main thing that I miss from Portnoy's drumming is how at times it felt like he would take the lead in the song.(SOme people didn't like this but I did)  It helped me to see that the drums can be an instrument rather than just a time keeper. You could feel MP in the song.  With MM I never feel HIM. It is hard to explain.

One reason for this is might be that MP may have composed more for feeling than technicality. I think that previous comments about MM's parts not being air drummerable is significant.  If the average listener can't air drum than there is likely a distance emotionally between the drummer and the non-musician listener. It is where the complexity, while very impressive, might lose many of us.

Another thing that goes with this is speed.  MM is insane but sometimes his playing is so fast that it is really hard to appreciate what he is doing.  Couple that with bad production, which muddies things and you have another way the average listener is distanced from what he is doing. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2017, 11:45:37 AM »
+1 on the musical v technical approach.

Whilst MP did overplay - his parts were very musical and suited the songs perfectly.

MM is more about how many subdivisions he can play over 9/16

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2017, 02:36:08 PM »
I just like Portnoy's playing style much more than Mangini's, simple as that. It all comes down to your personal preference, and what sounds good to you.

Mangini is a talented dude, no question. Arguably better than Portnoy. But again, i like Portnoy's style better.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2017, 03:57:51 PM »
I don't get the MM detractors either.  Great drummer.  The overall music has been to the disappointment.  Maybe that's part of the reason.  MP had much more influence on the direction of the music, allowing more of his style come through.

Right now, it sounds like MM is just limited to being a time keeper.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2017, 04:07:32 PM »

Whilst MP did overplay - his parts were very musical and suited the songs perfectly.

What songs did MM do these subdivisions that do not suit the song?

If anything, MM's style in DT is to fit his drumming exactly to what the other members are playing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2017, 04:11:38 PM »

What songs did MM do these subdivisions that do not suit the song?

If anything, MM's style in DT is to fit his drumming exactly to what the other members are playing.

And my fav MM moments (as rare as they are) is when he doesn't JUST do that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2017, 04:14:44 PM »
Yeah I couldn't care less if he's playing 16ths with one hand with the Keyboard and 8th notes on the kicks with the bass and accenting the snare along with the guitar.

Doesn't mean diddly squat if it is more technical than musical.

At least to me.