Author Topic: Funny life stories tied into Music.  (Read 2019 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Funny life stories tied into Music.
« on: March 22, 2017, 02:42:11 PM »
For some reason a funny story popped into my head today and I thought it would be a fun thread to make.

I told a few friends that I would never see Motorhead live.  It was a joke that grew over time.  So my buddies would harass me to go and I never would even though I really wanted to see them.  It was to dig a buddy of mine.  So I had a friend who had an extra ticket to see Alice Cooper on the "Raise Your Fist And Yell" tour and of course I jumped at the opportunity.

We got there a little late for the opener and as we were walking the halls I recognized the song.  I went screaming down the hall,

"NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!"

It was "The Ace Of Spades" and it was Motorhead. :lol  Well I was there and had a great time.  Of course my buddies ratted me out to my one friend I said I would never see them.  Well that SOB got my mom to let him into my room when I wasn't there and he hung Lemmy pictures from different rock mags over my Geddy Lee pictures on my wall (Rush is my favorite band).

It took me 2 days to to notice them. :lol

So do any of you have a funny story to tell?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Funny life stories tied into Music.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 02:50:47 PM »
Yeah :lolpalm: I always wanted to be in a band and thought i'd be a success in music.

:rollin :rollin

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »
I love shit like that.

I have a friend with who our bonding experience when we first met was arguing over whether Metallica or Megadeth were the better band. He is a good friend of mine and we met about 8 or 9 years ago. He was the guitarist in another close friends band and we met, got drunk and chatted shit about metal, favourite bands/albums and the like. Although we share a lot of musical tastes in regards to metal he is massively into grunge whereas I'm really not. At some point the conversation moved onto Metallica vs. Megadeth. It became very heated (but in a friendly way) very quickly. We both were passionately defending our favourite's (me Metallica, him Megadeth) but also conceding that we were both in fact big fans of both bands. To this day, every time we see each other (which isn't that often as he now lives in London) we argue about this shit. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

When I introduced my girlfriend to him a few years a go we made a passing comment about how we sometimes argue over this but that we'd put it aside tonight (as my girlfriend isn't into metal). Of course after a few more drinks we ended up having the same argument  :lol

I love Robin to death, he's a great guy and I find comfort in the fact that even though life goes on and things change and our responsibilities change we can still argue over this with such a huge amount of passion! We both love both bands but can't believe that the one won't accept that the other is right  :lol it's like, when it happens everyone else around us disappears and we can't continue until we have argued our points, got annoyed the other won't concede then we just agree to disagree.....until next time.

It sounds kind of dumb actually but we find it fun  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 03:56:55 PM »
My take:  Metallica had an unmatched run from Ride through the black album.  But nothing Metallica has done since then has matched Megadeth's best from the time period through the present.  If I were to take Metallica's 4-album + EP run of Ride>Puppets>$5.98>AJFA>black album and put it against Megadeth's 4-album + EP run of RIP>CTE>Youthanasia>Hidden Treasures>Cryptic (which I consider each band's best), I would say I subjectively prefer Megadeth's, but I concede that I feel like, overall, Metallica's is slightly stronger, more consistent, and of better quality overall.  Of the two bands, I prefer Megadeth and listen to them more.

/offtopic
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »
Robin??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 04:12:31 PM »
Robin??

Robin is the friend that I'm talking about arguing with, pay attention TAC  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 04:36:10 PM »
Robin??

Robin is the friend that I'm talking about arguing with, pay attention TAC  :lol

I did, hence I was so comfortable with my understanding of your story that when Bosk took up the Megadeth argument, I referred to him as Robin. :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 05:22:29 PM »
Robin??

I did, hence I was so comfortable with my understanding of your story that when Bosk took up the Megadeth argument, I referred to him as Robin. :P

Ok, it's clear that I need to be the one paying more attention  :facepalm:

So anyway...

EDIT: I won't derail this thread anymore, honest  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 05:59:09 PM »
Most of my funny music moments involved a copious amount of bottle tokes.

Copious.

And repeated use of the word "eeeere'.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 07:27:14 PM »
..and bottle toke is Canadian for_________.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 07:39:04 PM »
Man Tim, it's like you are blocking out your childhood.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 07:46:26 PM »
I have literally never heard the term "bottle toke". You have??

Is that a bong hit?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 07:50:17 PM »
Yup but in a homemade way.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 04:09:54 AM »
A friend of mine and me, we both hate REM's Losing My Religion with a passion. And for a long time we got the impression, that when we went somewhere together it was inevitable that that song would be played. We began joking about it, like when we are together there's some cosmic force that sees to that song being played.

So one day we both had tickets for the Roling Stones, big arena gig, and we wanted to meet before the arena, because once in, there would be no way to find each other among the 50.000 other attendants.

I was very late because I had to work longer and then was stuck in a traffic jam and when I arrived my friend wasn't at the meeting point, I waited some time and then decided to go in. I was thinking that my friend probably had waited some time for me and then went in because I wasn't coming or was coming late and the support act was about to begin. For you young ones: that was a time before mobile phones were a thing so we had no chance of contacting each other.

The moment I went away, Losing My Religion began to play over the PA and I was thinking, okay, if this song is playing my friend must be somewhere near. I turned around and saw him running towards me. Turned out he had to work late also and then his car broke down so he had to come by train. He was sure that I was already in, but when he arrived he heard that atrocious tune and knew I was still waiting for him.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 05:26:21 AM »
..and bottle toke is Canadian for_________.

Apparently it is a Canadian term according to Urban Dictionary

a south western ontario in origin describing a way to smoke hashish, by burning a whole in a plastic bottle of any size (use to be done also with glass bottle)and using little chunks of hash on the tip of a cigarette in the bottle to heat the hash up and smoke it up.

A friend of mine and me, we both hate REM's Losing My Religion with a passion.

Consider me a friend.   ;)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 08:10:55 AM »
ITT: Kwyjibo discovers he as a LOT of friends.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »
Losing my Religion is a fine song.  :hat.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 08:15:38 AM »
ITT: Kwyjibo discovers he as a LOT of friends.

If I had known that all it takes is hating that song  :angel:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 09:12:41 AM »
 :lol

I like the song but I'm still your friend Kwyjibo!

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 09:21:50 AM »
well, lemmy think about it ... ok  :tup

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 09:25:05 AM »

What the hell :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 09:30:07 AM »

What the hell :lol

My room was a shrine to Rush from all different size of posters to pictures so he covered 5 of the magazine pics with the Lemmy mag pics. :lol  2 days!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 05:41:45 PM »
Round 2.

A friend of mine came with me to the Rush - Hold Your Fire tour.   We hung out at the mall across the street from the venue,  The Worcester Centrum and were walking around like mall rats.

We come upon the information booth and my buddy says, "Wait a minute."  He walks to the information booth and asked the guy, "Do you know the diameter of the sun?"  Now I'm stunned,  I have no clue what he is doing.  The guy asks, "Why do you ask?"  My buddy answers, "We'll, isn't this an information booth?" :lol

The guy yells at us to get the hell out of here and we laugh walking away.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 05:56:20 PM »
Did he go to The Sunglass Hut next and ask the clerk why they weren't wearing them?

Joe, you mentioned the Firm in Kev's thread. The first time The Firm were scheduled for Providence, we were going, but the show ended up getting cancelled.
The next time they were scheduled on a Friday night in March of 86. It was either a Thurs or a Fri..anyway, on Tuesday March 18, we saw Aerosmith/Ted Nugent. On the way home, we played car tag with a carload of girls. They followed us to a park (the same one the pic was taken on my car in the Post Your Pic thread). Anyway, we hung out for a while, and I ended up getting home very late. My father was waiting for me, and informed me that I could not go to The Firm concert later that week.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 06:07:54 PM »
That happened to me when I skipped school  (The only time) to see Rush in Maine.  It was the opening night of the Power Windows tour and I met Geddy.  He found out and grounded me and I had to sell my 2 other tickets to see Rush.

After a month, he allowed me to see KISS on the Asylum tour.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 06:13:27 PM »
I remember the Power Windows show. They handed out 3D glasses for The Weapon. We were like 5th row right in front of Geddy. I remember turning around and seeing the entire Providence Civic Center in 3D glasses and I remember thinking what fucking nerd world did I just land in? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 06:18:42 PM »
My same friend who asked the information booth the question cursed me out when he saw on that show that the lasers were the colors of the 3d spectrum. 

He said he would have brought his 3d glasses. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 06:22:06 PM »
Probably the same colors of your stylin' blazer! ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 06:30:40 PM »
You should have seen my $20 suitcoats with the rolled up sleeves! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 06:31:24 PM »
No. No I shouldn't. :lol

#ChessKingshmegland

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 06:39:42 PM »
Was Geddy rocking the blazers on the Power Window tour? Or was that every tour in the 80s?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »
Was Geddy Kingshmegland rocking the blazers on the Power Window tour? Or was that every tour in the 80s?

Yes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2017, 06:46:11 PM »
Around Signals tour.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 05:24:48 AM »
I had a buddy who was a HUGE Aerosmith fan.  For the Perm Vacation tour, they had GnR opening for them.  He was so stoked to be going to that concert... talked about it for weeks leading up to it - as we were all GnR fans with the release of Appetite.  Well, I'm working with him the day after the concert, and - shocker! - GnR cancelled last minute, and was replaced (at least in Toronto) with Cheap Trick.  Cheap fucking Trick!  We laughed at him so hard.

"Ray, switching opening bands sure was a .... cheap trick!!!"  :neverusethis:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 06:47:34 AM »
 :lol

Goddamn Axel!  I only had one postponement it was for Deep Purple.  We sat for 2 hours until they canceled the show and set it up for the next night.