Author Topic: Where does the best Pizza come from?  (Read 20030 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Where does the best Pizza come from?
« Reply #245 on: April 18, 2017, 08:53:44 AM »
The wife also grows 4 different mints,  rosemary,  chives, lavender, sage, tyme and oregano.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #246 on: April 18, 2017, 09:25:34 AM »
My father is the green thumb in the family. I'll probably wind up like that, too.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #247 on: April 18, 2017, 11:34:37 AM »
I ate about two dozen pizzas in Italy in the past decade, everywhere from Milan to Palermo and they were mostly "meh". One in Venice was exceptionally good, the rest were mediocre, and a couple of them were bad (as in, I only ate a couple of slices to satisfy my hunger and asked for the check). I tried fancy restaurants as well as small family joints. I gave up on the whole thing, these days, I only order pizza in Italy as a last resort.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #248 on: April 18, 2017, 11:36:36 AM »
I ate about two dozen pizzas in Italy in the past decade, everywhere from Milan to Palermo and they were mostly "meh". One in Venice was exceptionally good, the rest were mediocre, and a couple of them were bad (as in, I only ate a couple of slices to satisfy my hunger and asked for the check). I tried fancy restaurants as well as small family joints. I gave up on the whole thing, these days, I only order pizza in Italy as a last resort.

Do you live in Italy?

I think a lot of it has to do with what you grew up with. Like Chinese food. I grew up with American Chinese food. I doubt I'd care much for authentic stuff. Similarly if I grew up on NY pizza (I wish) there's a good chance that authentic Italian pizza might not do much for me.

I dunno.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #249 on: April 18, 2017, 11:47:50 AM »

Do you live in Italy?

I think a lot of it has to do with what you grew up with. Like Chinese food. I grew up with American Chinese food. I doubt I'd care much for authentic stuff. Similarly if I grew up on NY pizza (I wish) there's a good chance that authentic Italian pizza might not do much for me.

I dunno.

Pizza from Italy is exceedingly different from it's  American counterpart. In Italy, it's actually made to be healthy in most cases. A couple of the authentic recipes I've tried were pretty good, but the taste is quite different from what we're used to.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #250 on: April 18, 2017, 11:59:42 AM »

Do you live in Italy?

I dunno.
I don't live in Italy, but I don't subscribe to the idea that you "like the food you grew up with" at all. Make no mistake, I love my parents' cooking and the pizza in my hometown is great, but all my pivotal culinary experiences occurred when I tried a new type of food in a foreign country. The best meal I ever had was grilled feta cheese with grilled eggplant in Greece, in a small family restaurant on the beach. Never had any of those before and it tasted so good that it actually shocked me. It was like an orgasm. The second place goes to the fondue I ate in the French Alps. And so on...

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online Adami

« Reply #251 on: April 18, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »
Oh I didn't mean to imply that we only like what we grew up with. But a lot of times, it plays a big role.

We attach memories and emotions to that food that can't be found elsewhere. It's not always, but it does play some role. I can assure you that there are plenty of foods that you prefer the one you grew up with, only for that reason.

I didn't grow up with Israeli food, but I definitely prefer it. However, I grew up with a certain style of peanut butter sandwiches (breads/peanut butter type, etc) and prefer that to all others for just that reason.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #252 on: April 18, 2017, 12:55:36 PM »
Oh I didn't mean to imply that we only like what we grew up with. But a lot of times, it plays a big role.

We attach memories and emotions to that food that can't be found elsewhere. It's not always, but it does play some role. I can assure you that there are plenty of foods that you prefer the one you grew up with, only for that reason.

Exactly. There are certain things I eat that bring back some overwhelming memories. It's interesting just how much your senses can be triggered by the simplest things. It's like having eidetic memory.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #253 on: April 18, 2017, 03:06:19 PM »
Yep.  For example, I compare all collard greens to my grandmother's recipe.  Most fall short to my taste buds, even though I know there is nothing wrong with them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: April 18, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »
Yea I definitely think there is something to the "food you grew up on" vs. "same dish somewhere else" But I think comparing authentic chinese to American chinese foods is not the same comparison as they really aren't the same dish.

Online Adami

« Reply #255 on: April 18, 2017, 03:16:18 PM »
Yea I definitely think there is something to the "food you grew up on" vs. "same dish somewhere else" But I think comparing authentic chinese to American chinese foods is not the same comparison as they really aren't the same dish.

Well, not all of it. But for a guy like me, who eats fried rice and noodles, it's not a totally unrelated thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #256 on: April 18, 2017, 03:18:28 PM »
We just bought the thin rice noodles and steamed vegetables and added a ginger soy based sauce. It was yummy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: April 18, 2017, 03:18:47 PM »

Well, not all of it. But for a guy like me, who eats fried rice and noodles, it's not a totally unrelated thing.

I guess. I've never actually eaten authentic Chinese so I'm going off what my Chinese coworker tells me, which is that there is no similarity besides rice  :lol 

Online Adami

« Reply #258 on: April 18, 2017, 03:27:18 PM »
Yea, obviously their fried rice and noodles will be a bit different, but I unlike things like Orange Chicken or whatever, it's just a different way of preparing an actual dish, as opposed to being totally unrelated.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #259 on: April 19, 2017, 06:53:37 AM »

I've heard this same thing more times than I can count.

I do think there is something to the familiarity thing though; I'm from a very eastern European family, and the things I had as a kid - golumpki (stuffed cabbage), pierogi, beef stroganoff - all have a flavor that I go back to when trying it again today.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: April 19, 2017, 07:28:49 AM »
I love love love pierogis!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: April 19, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »
They're awesome. I'm glad I grew up in Western Pennsylvania where they're plentiful.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #262 on: April 19, 2017, 08:25:35 PM »
They're awesome. I'm glad I grew up in Western Pennsylvania where they're plentiful.

Pierogi plants?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: April 20, 2017, 08:05:12 AM »

My mother's side of the family is polish so we always ate them growing up, traditonally just the stuff you get at the super market.  But there is one spot in Brooklyn near where my father grew up that sells homemade ones from a polish spot that are fantastic.  I haven't had them since I was a kid though.  I probably have at least 6 boxes of frozen pierogis in my basement freezer though.