Author Topic: Where does the best Pizza come from?  (Read 19934 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Where does the best Pizza come from?
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2017, 11:58:42 AM »
I just think a pizza should try to remain at least partially true to its Italian heritage.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2017, 12:00:25 PM »
I just think a pizza should try to remain at least partially true to its Italian heritage.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2017, 12:07:35 PM »

I recall those being fairly tasty, but nobody in their right mind would call them pizza.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2017, 12:10:47 PM »
Bosk nailed it with the Hawaiian pizza thing. Put whatever you want on your pizza. I don't care. Don't much care for it myself, though. Where I draw the line is replacing tomato sauce with any other sauce. At that point it stops being a pizza and I throw the blasphemy card. Afredo and barbecue sauces change it from pizza to, I dunno, some sort of weird pie thing. Sometimes it's perfectly tasty, but it's not pizza.

I'm with you - my previous posts notwithstanding - on sauces.  Even the chicken BBQ I made had a red sauce underneath.

Having said that:  what about "white pies"?   The aforementioned New Haven pizza is notorious for their "white clam" pies; clams, olive oil, garlic, and some green (basil, parsley, oregano).   It's REALLY good, and it's more pizza than the sham things we're alluding to above.

Oh, and cheesecake is the dessert of kings.  I even make my own (that I LOVE, though the sauces are hard to do with any integrity).

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
Italy obviously!

Why there are 5 pages of thread when the correct answer was already given after 4-5 replies?

;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2017, 12:20:19 PM »
Having said that:  what about "white pies"?   The aforementioned New Haven pizza is notorious for their "white clam" pies; clams, olive oil, garlic, and some green (basil, parsley, oregano).   It's REALLY good, and it's more pizza than the sham things we're alluding to above.
Sounds tasty. I wouldn't call it pizza, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2017, 12:43:07 PM »
I recall those being fairly tasty, but nobody in their right mind would call them pizza.

Well it's called a Mexican Pizza at Taco Bell.  It's not Italian pizza, but personally I don't see anything completely wrong with using the word pizza to describe it though.  That's just me.

Sounds tasty. I wouldn't call it pizza, though.

Yea I remember at Pepe's this was the specialty pie, but clams were not something I was interested in that moment so we went with a plain pizza.  I do however, LOVE white pies with the ricotta instead of tomato sauce.   You can throw broccoli and tomato on there as well.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2017, 12:50:35 PM »
A pizza doesn't have two crusts. If Taco Bell removes the top crust to call it a pizza then it's merely a tostada. As it stands now it's closer to a gordito as made by the local joints.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2017, 12:53:04 PM »
Barto, can I get a ruling on pesto instead of tomato sauce?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2017, 12:54:57 PM »
Who are we bullshitting?  We all know the best pizza.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2017, 01:00:06 PM »
^^^ What prison is that from? 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2017, 01:01:27 PM »
Sorry, didn't know I had a case before me. Love pesto. Make a pizza like dish out of it and I'll eat the hell out of it. It's not a pizza, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2017, 01:02:30 PM »
Every public school I ever went to. And the analogy is quite sound.

Personally, I dug their pizza. That and the chimichangas were the best thing about the DISD.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2017, 01:15:42 PM »
F*cking plastic-cheesed excuse for a pizza.  Awful.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2017, 01:19:30 PM »
Every public school I ever went to. And the analogy is quite sound.

Personally, I dug their pizza. That and the chimichangas were the best thing about the DISD.

I always loved the pizza at grade/high school, and it looked similar.  I mean, it was shit pizza, but I enjoyed it a lot as a kid.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2017, 01:48:33 PM »
Ellio's!!

Before I caught diabetes I would eat a whole box in one sitting.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2017, 09:50:00 PM »
Hawaiian pizza isn't amazing, but it has its place. I actually prefer a pepperoni and pineapple combination myself. But I only occasionally go the pineapple route.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #157 on: March 25, 2017, 02:29:48 AM »

Just no

Offline dparrott

« Reply #158 on: March 25, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »
I worked at Pizza Hut, so I can at least tell you it's well made stuff.

I did too.  I used to make interesting personal pizzas, like pepperoni and pineapple!

LOL at school pizza.  I'd say Little Caesar's is a step above that in the low spectrum, but is still pretty bad.

Domino's has good stuffed cheese bread!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2017, 07:14:50 PM »

Just no

Don't knock it until you've tried it. A good pesto and sausage pie is a thing of beauty.

I've never had Hawaiian pizza because it just doesn't really interest me, though I don't really look down on it at all. My sister went through a phase where she would dip her pizza in ranch dressing, and that just about gave me involuntary rage twitches.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2017, 09:07:01 PM »

Just no

Don't knock it until you've tried it. A good pesto and sausage pie is a thing of beauty.

I've never had Hawaiian pizza because it just doesn't really interest me, though I don't really look down on it at all. My sister went through a phase where she would dip her pizza in ranch dressing, and that just about gave me involuntary rage twitches.

Do you want to try my load on your pizza? I'll try the pesto if you try that. Don't knock it until you try it.  :biggrin:

Pesto has a unique taste to it, but I can't see it replacing tomato sauce on pizza. Just my opinion.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #161 on: March 25, 2017, 11:57:18 PM »

Just no

Do you want to try my load on your pizza? I'll try the pesto if you try that. Don't knock it until you try it.  :biggrin:

:rollin
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2017, 06:33:25 AM »

Just no

I used to get pizza and wings from this local place that since closed down and I would always dip my crust in the left over ranch dressing. Their seasoned crust was perfect for dipping.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: March 26, 2017, 05:23:17 PM »
At Penn State there was a dollar pizza joint for all the drunk students to hit up, literally would have a line down the street of drunk students on a weekend.  But they always had ranch dressing for free and that was my first experience dipping slices into ranch.  It's not bad.  Granted, I don't do this normally, but on a cheap slice that's more doughy, it's not bad at all.  I got a baked ziti pie today.  This was really really good and well made, unlike my pizza from the other night.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: March 26, 2017, 05:38:39 PM »
When I was in college, I'd save my crusts, so later on after some  :hat I would spread peanut butter on them.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
Stonerific!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2017, 07:19:30 PM »
When I was in college, I'd save my crusts, so later on after some  :hat I would spread peanut butter on them.  ;D

Bruh, that is pinnacle stoner cred :lol
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2017, 07:46:57 PM »
When it comes to frozen pizza, I'm fine with a Jack's pizza. I like to make them and put them in the fridge and eat them later on.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2017, 07:51:46 PM »
I used to eat frozen pizza, but every so often I'd feel a slap on the face, probably from my strega great-grandmother, so I stopped.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2017, 07:52:19 PM »
I used to eat frozen pizza, but every so often I'd feel a slap on the face, probably from my strega great-grandmother, so I stopped.

Perhaps it was your italian essence.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2017, 07:56:37 PM »
Is this equivalent to Catholic/Jewish guilt? Except this one is an Italian Grandmother. That would scare me more than the other two guilts.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2017, 07:58:21 PM »

*Italian

Online Adami

« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2017, 08:00:14 PM »

*Italian

Eye-talian.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #173 on: March 26, 2017, 08:03:09 PM »

Online Adami

« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2017, 08:10:16 PM »
..........you posted a gif that wasn't our man Robert Carlyle?

Clearly I have taken things too far. My deepest apologies. :(
fanticide.bandcamp.com