Author Topic: Where does the best Pizza come from?  (Read 20044 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Where does the best Pizza come from?
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2017, 08:58:06 AM »
It's just amusing that people don't realize that the majority of what we label as "Chinese food" in this country really isn't.  Kinda like folks thinking that people in Japan eat California rolls.

Boston is chock full of "Chinese-American" restaurants, but yeah, if you want to get closer to actual Chinese food, you have to go to Chinatown. Quick rule-of-thumb, if they have chicken feet on the menu, or better chicken tongues, it's a decent place.

Yeah, I hear you.  Or if they have whole chickens and ducks, and/or somewhat-identifiable pig parts hanging up in the window.  Or just my general rule-of-thumb mentioned above for pretty much any ethnic (read: non-American) food:  If I am the only (or at least, one of very few) "American"-looking customers, that's a very good sign.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2017, 09:00:48 AM »
It's just amusing that people don't realize that the majority of what we label as "Chinese food" in this country really isn't.  Kinda like folks thinking that people in Japan eat California rolls.

Boston is chock full of "Chinese-American" restaurants, but yeah, if you want to get closer to actual Chinese food, you have to go to Chinatown. Quick rule-of-thumb, if they have chicken feet on the menu, or better chicken tongues, it's a decent place.
Yeah, chicken feet is a good rule of thumb. Mine is if they make soup out of blood.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »
But are any of those foods good?  Doesn't sound it  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »
Along the lines of what we are discussing in the thread generally (sorry to detour from the pizza discussion), one of my culinary regrets happened when my wife and I were in the northeast.  We went to New York, but then did a short 3-day road trip up to Vermont, down through NH to Boston, and then down the coast.  I was really looking forward to some good N.E. seafood (not necessarily lobster) or other good local food.  My wife was as well.  But my wife was pregnant with our first at the time, and as luck would have it, nausea started hitting her pretty hard during that part of the trip, so we played it VERY safe in terms of food.  That was the only time I have been north of NY, and I'm bummed that I didn't get to do better in the eats department.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2017, 09:05:52 AM »
But are any of those foods good?  Doesn't sound it  :lol
I don't care for either of those, personally.  But the point is, if they serve those, they serve the real stuff, and there is plenty of really tasty, authentic food to choose from.  I kinda equate it to going into a Mexican place that serves menudo or albondigas.  I realize that those dishes are not for everybody.  But chances are, if a Mexican place serves those, it is the real deal and there will be plenty of other things on the menu that you either won't find in the more Americanized places or are of substantially better (more authentic) quality.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2017, 09:39:02 AM »
Jim's is the freakin' bomb.  Sofa king good.  I've also been told that the roast pork sandwich with broccoli rabe at DiNic's in the Reading Terminal Market is a must have.  I haven't had it yet, but apparently Travel Channel once rated it the "Best Sandwich in America".
Yeah, I skipped it when I was there. Again, I tend to pass on places that are so well hyped. Since sandwiches are the food thing that Phili does well it's not like there aren't a thousand other options. Hell, there are a hundred different sandwiches in RTM alone. Think I went with the Bavarian at Schmitz when I ate at RTM.

Good choice, but in this case, the hype is real.  DiNic's is good (though I'm a sucker for broccoli rabe).  My problem with DiNic's is the logistics; it's a nightmare to wade through the people, so I usually don't. 

Breakfast at RTM is great too.   Scrapple!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2017, 04:39:02 PM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2017, 05:00:52 PM »
I think I may be getting pizza tonight as well, this thread has inspired me and I've had pizza on my mind all day.  My gf is coming over and we already agreed to get delivery, but havent decided on what.  I know in my mind what I want.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2017, 05:13:19 PM »
This thread has inspired me to go to Cram's house tonight.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2017, 05:46:59 PM »
Sorry, cram, I have to pass.  I just had shrimp cocktail and a field bourbon barreled Imperial Stout. I am satisfied.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2017, 07:17:29 PM »
   My gf is coming over   

This thread has inspired me to go to Cram's house tonight.

Dude?

What are you, some kind of sicko?  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2017, 07:18:16 PM »
 :lol

Your old perv.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2017, 06:02:08 AM »
 :rollin

Had a tortellini alfredo pie last night.  The crust was terrible, but man that sauce and tortellini were delicious.  I don't think I'd order from this place again though, slow delivery and the pizza was also supposed to have grilled chicken, plus as mentioned, the crust was terrible.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2017, 06:29:13 AM »

Yeah, I hear you.  Or if they have whole chickens and ducks, and/or somewhat-identifiable pig parts hanging up in the window.  Or just my general rule-of-thumb mentioned above for pretty much any ethnic (read: non-American) food:  If I am the only (or at least, one of very few) "American"-looking customers, that's a very good sign.

In New York, "Little Italy" is slowly turning into "Little China", and only Mulberry Street is really up to the hype (though there are little pockets; Lombardi's (Pizza) and DiPaolo's (Cheese shop) are not on Mulberry.   But if you go to Mulberry, and go SOUTH, across Canal Street, there's almost no Italian, it's all Chinese, and most (not all) have a more authentic Chinese menu.   There's a place that I used to go to (I can't for the life of me remember the name) but they were the real deal.   No "Mongolian Beef" and no "General Tso's Chicken", but a real deal dim sum, though "dim sum" isn't itself indicative of "real Chinese", it's what's served as part of the dim sum.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2017, 06:55:10 AM »
Had a tortellini alfredo pie last night.  The crust was terrible, but man that sauce and tortellini were delicious.  I don't think I'd order from this place again though, slow delivery and the pizza was also supposed to have grilled chicken, plus as mentioned, the crust was terrible.

Yeah, this thread got me to. We ordered a Stromboli pie. The bottom of the crust wasn't as crisp as I like and I'm not a fan of the big dough ring on the edge (that tends to make it to the dog's mouth). Other than that, it was excellent and literally looked just like this.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2017, 06:56:33 AM »
mmmm sausage peppers and onion pizza.  Great topping combo.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2017, 06:57:50 AM »
There was a layer of pepperoni too.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2017, 07:12:23 AM »
I never liked alfredo sauce. Then again, I never was a fan of cream sauces.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2017, 07:13:50 AM »

That's not what I heard, big boy! :zydar:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2017, 07:27:47 AM »

Didn't notice that initially. I think pepperoni is the best meat for pizza personally. Chicken works with specialty pies, but for a meat solo on pizza, pepperoni is my easy choice, followed by sausage.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2017, 07:30:14 AM »

That's not what I heard, big boy! :zydar:

Big boy, huh? I guess King opened his mouth. Pun intended.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »
 :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2017, 08:32:04 AM »
There's a place that I used to go to (I can't for the life of me remember the name) but they were the real deal.   No "Mongolian Beef" and no "General Tso's Chicken", but a real deal dim sum, though "dim sum" isn't itself indicative of "real Chinese", it's what's served as part of the dim sum.
That's exactly what I'm looking for.

And dim sum.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2017, 08:38:35 AM »

Didn't notice that initially. I think pepperoni is the best meat for pizza personally. Chicken works with specialty pies, but for a meat solo on pizza, pepperoni is my easy choice, followed by sausage.
Pepperoni on one side. Sausage on the other. Mostly because they each work with different veggies (peppers vs shrooms, in this case).

And while I love alfredo sauce, it doesn't belong on pizza. Besides, I only really like it if I make it myself.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2017, 08:47:57 AM »
When I used to work at Pizza Hut, one of my favorite topping combinations was chicken, diced tomato, and jalapeno.  That was a damn good pizza.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2017, 09:01:51 AM »
Is Hawaiian pizza kosher with you guys, or blasphemy?

I eat it either way, just curious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2017, 09:05:19 AM »
For me, no such thing as pizza blasphemy.  Hawaiian is not my favorite or my choice ever usually, but it's not bad.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2017, 09:11:01 AM »
I'll enjoy an occasional Hawaiian pizza. No blasphemy here.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2017, 09:13:08 AM »

Pepperoni on one side. Sausage on the other. Mostly because they each work with different veggies (peppers vs shrooms, in this case).

And while I love alfredo sauce, it doesn't belong on pizza. Besides, I only really like it if I make it myself.

I made pizza last weekend for the fam.   Extra cheese for my stepson, margeurita (sp!) for my wife (sauce, fresh plum tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil), and for me I made a chicken, BBQ and red onion that was very good, a pepperoni and onion that was awesome, and a pancetta and onion that was okay (pancetta is too salty for me in that context).

My favorite from a takeout place is either sausage and/or pepperoni and onions, or green peppers and onions.  I love onions on my pies. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2017, 09:18:56 AM »
Is Hawaiian pizza kosher with you guys, or blasphemy?

I eat it either way, just curious.

I like to argue that it is blasphemy just because it's hard to pass on an opportunity to tongue-in-cheek be a food snob.  But in reality, I don't have a problem with it.  Kinda like Cram said, "no such thing as pizza blasphemy."  Pizza can just be an awesome vehicle for just about anything you like.

But for me personally, I just don't eat it because I think it's gross.  I like all the components separately, but I just don't like the combination together on a pizza.  Kinda like cheese cake.  Generally, I can't stand it (usually, anyway; there are exceptions).  It's one of the few foods that I just don't like.  But, separately, I like all the components.  It's just when you put them together that it doesn't work for me. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2017, 10:57:26 AM »
But for me personally, I just don't eat it because I think it's gross.  I like all the components separately, but I just don't like the combination together on a pizza. 
I get that.

Kinda like cheese cake. 
???

You know that cheesecake isn't just cheese on cake, right?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2017, 11:07:57 AM »
But for me personally, I just don't eat it because I think it's gross.  I like all the components separately, but I just don't like the combination together on a pizza. 
I get that.

Kinda like cheese cake. 
???

You know that cheesecake isn't just cheese on cake, right?
:lol  Yes.  I OBVIOUSLY meant cheesecake.  Cream cheese is just something I don't like with sweet things.  That combo just doesn't work for me.  Love cream cheese.  I love graham crack pie crust (or, generally, whatever other crust one is using for their cheesecake of choice).  I usually love the strawberry, or chocolate, or whatever other flavor is being used.  But the combo just doesn't work for me.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2017, 11:44:11 AM »
Thank God we have a NY pizzeria here in Tulsa. Dude's from NYC and runs a hole in the wall pizza joint right next to his "cash for gold" business.

https://www.unclevinnyspizzas.com
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
Bosk nailed it with the Hawaiian pizza thing. Put whatever you want on your pizza. I don't care. Don't much care for it myself, though. Where I draw the line is replacing tomato sauce with any other sauce. At that point it stops being a pizza and I throw the blasphemy card. Afredo and barbecue sauces change it from pizza to, I dunno, some sort of weird pie thing. Sometimes it's perfectly tasty, but it's not pizza.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2017, 11:56:04 AM »
I generally agree about sauces (I prefer my pizza sauce a tad on the sweeter side), but the one exception I was okay with - as a teenager working at Pizza Hut, there was a limited time pizza called the steak lover's pizza.  Hunks of steak and onion over a Worcestershire style sauce.  Surprisingly good.