Author Topic: Where does the best Pizza come from?  (Read 20024 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Where does the best Pizza come from?
« on: March 22, 2017, 12:34:03 AM »
Discuss.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Where does the best Pizza come from?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:42:24 AM »
Here Jay, I'll take some heat off you. Because I love you.

The best pizza comes from Dominos.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:18:15 AM »
The oven.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 01:52:11 AM »
New York is the only right answer.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 03:37:15 AM »
There's only one answer. This is like asking who is the best guitarist in Dream Theater. It's a waste of a discussion.  ;)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 04:21:32 AM »
Italy obviously!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 04:33:18 AM »
Round Table Pizza...   :metal

For the record....  I had pizza a couple times while in NYC last year for the DT show.  Honestly?  Good, but not that impressed.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 04:35:51 AM »
The best pizza I've had was at this place called The Pie in Long Island near Port Jefferson.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 04:44:25 AM »
I've been there.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 04:50:57 AM »
It's not what I consider classic NY pizza but fuck it was amazing.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 05:01:37 AM »
Is all NY style pizza a really soft, flexible base? I see people eating it in movies/TV shows and it always looks undercooked the way they have to fold a slice up just to be able to eat it. Even being able to fold the crust in half like that gives me the impression that it hasn't been cooked up enough.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 05:08:35 AM »
The oven.

I came here to post that  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 05:10:32 AM »
Pizza Express.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 05:37:05 AM »
Of late for me it's the brick oven pizzas that float my boat and the best pizza I ever had was at Folino's pizza in Shelburne VT, next to Fiddlehead Brewery.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 05:37:05 AM »
Is all NY style pizza a really soft, flexible base? I see people eating it in movies/TV shows and it always looks undercooked the way they have to fold a slice up just to be able to eat it. Even being able to fold the crust in half like that gives me the impression that it hasn't been cooked up enough.

I prefer mine well-done with a crisp crust. It really depends where you go but I agree with you. I don't like when the crust is soft. I like my pizza scalding hot.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 06:33:05 AM »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 06:40:27 AM »
It really depends where you go
Good to know. :tup

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 06:41:09 AM »
I don't know if I would call it the best or anything, but where I grew up in Delaware, we had Grottos pizza and I loved it

They did the sauce and cheese like a swirl/bullseye

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 06:47:54 AM »
I want to go back to NYC JUST for another slice from NY Pizza Suprema at 31st and 8th.  Un-fucking-believable.

And as PS said in the chat thread, it's the NYC water that makes it the best.

That said, touristy beach towns offer up some pretty bitchin' pizza.  Ocean City, MD has fantastic pizza.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 06:54:57 AM »
Chicago.  Deep Dish. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 07:44:52 AM »
You can find the occasional really good pizza place anywhere, but NYC and northern NJ take the cake as far as highest quality. I might even argue that northern NJ has the edge in average quality because there aren't a bunch of tourist traps weighing them down.

Chicago makes a very tasty deep dish bread and cheese casserole with tomato sauce on it, but you can GTFO if you consider that real pizza.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 08:17:46 AM »
The oven.

I came here to post that  :lol

Me too :lol

But this is the best answer:

Italy obviously!

I was so excited to go to Italy to have authentic pizza... and it sucked.  :lol

New York is the only right answer.

:iagree:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 08:18:56 AM »
NYC, and here's why:   every City has at least one or two great pizza joints, but NY, even the late-night, by-the-slice pits are at least very good. 

You need to go to a Lombardi's or something like that - with the brick oven that has been in place since 1935 or so, and let them make the pie the way it's supposed to be made (none of this "chicken ranch BBQ" crap).   

When you're cooking "good" pizza (meaning, fresh dough, not frozen in a hot, brick oven) the difference between "soggy" and "crispy" is literally 60 or 90 seconds.    For me, there is nothing better than walking down the street in NYC with a slice of fresh pizza.   Nowhere better (and I'm sorry, but while I've not been, I've heard from multiple people - some with family still in the old country - that for all Italy's charms - and there are many - pizza is not one of them.  it's more an American thing). 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 08:22:30 AM »
I feel any country that invented the "pizza dab" loses its right to even discuss what constitutes good pizza.

(To non-US people not aware of the practice, US pizzas are often so drenched in oil and cheese that people will grab paper towels from the dispenser to dry out their pizza before eating)

(cf.  https://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=69051 )
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 08:34:59 AM »
I feel any country that invented the "pizza dab" loses its right to even discuss what constitutes good pizza.

(To non-US people not aware of the practice, US pizzas are often so drenched in oil and cheese that people will grab paper towels from the dispenser to dry out their pizza before eating)

(cf.  https://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=69051 )

That's the Greek style pizza and I'd rather have another style that what you are talking about.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 08:37:58 AM »
On a serious note though, from a culinary perspective, the general pizza in the US is really not good. For the most part they really are just cheese and pepperoni delivery vehicles, and drenched in oil. I understand why people like them that way, in the same way people like HotPockets. But I've never heard anyone describe HotPockets as anything but a guilty pleasure, whereas pizza seems to be magically exempt from that.
Mind you, you *can* get a good pizza here. But not on a NYC streetside, you have to find a small place, preferably with an actual Italian behind the oven, who knows that olives, tomatoes, feta cheese etc are all very good pizza toppings.

It's kinda odd, it's a lot easier to find good Chinese food in Boston than good Italian food.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 08:41:01 AM »
Nowhere better (and I'm sorry, but while I've not been, I've heard from multiple people - some with family still in the old country - that for all Italy's charms - and there are many - pizza is not one of them.  it's more an American thing).

Just no.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 08:54:49 AM »
On a serious note though, from a culinary perspective, the general pizza in the US is really not good. For the most part they really are just cheese and pepperoni delivery vehicles, and drenched in oil. I understand why people like them that way, in the same way people like HotPockets. But I've never heard anyone describe HotPockets as anything but a guilty pleasure, whereas pizza seems to be magically exempt from that.
Mind you, you *can* get a good pizza here. But not on a NYC streetside, you have to find a small place, preferably with an actual Italian behind the oven, who knows that olives, tomatoes, feta cheese etc are all very good pizza toppings.

It's kinda odd, it's a lot easier to find good Chinese food in Boston than good Italian food.

But that's a function of people being bad cooks than the idea of "pizza" itself.   Eat one of Marc Vetri's pizza's from Philly.  Not a puddle of oil to be found within a block of that pie.    You're describing the pie made at 3 am by a Philipino guy looking to end his shift because his joint is filled with drunk assholes who just got out of the bar.   When I make mine (and I am no chef, I will tell you that) there isn't a drop of oil to be found.   Use fresh cheese, a modicum of sauce, and fresh toppings and you're 3/4 of the way there.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 09:04:02 AM »
The answer IMO is definitely NYC and I do believe it is due to the fantastic NYC tap water.

And I like the pizza soft and able to fold up.  Not too soft that it starts to flop over, thats no bueno, but soft enough to fold and stay straight. 

I do however think my favorite spot is a local joint that makes a chicken vodka pizza.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 09:25:45 AM »
But that's a function of people being bad cooks than the idea of "pizza" itself.   Eat one of Marc Vetri's pizza's from Philly.  Not a puddle of oil to be found within a block of that pie.    You're describing the pie made at 3 am by a Philipino guy looking to end his shift because his joint is filled with drunk assholes who just got out of the bar.   When I make mine (and I am no chef, I will tell you that) there isn't a drop of oil to be found.   Use fresh cheese, a modicum of sauce, and fresh toppings and you're 3/4 of the way there.

He learnt his trade in Italy.  He's basically making Italian Pizza's for American's :)

Here's a list of the top 20 Pizza places.

https://uk.phaidon.com/agenda/food/articles/2016/may/09/daniel-youngs-top-20-best-pizza-places-in-the-world/

8 of the top 10 are in Italy, Including all the top 4....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:19:55 AM by soupytwist »

Offline T-ski

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 10:18:42 AM »
you can GTFO if you consider that real pizza.

no u

Giordano's stuffed pizza is the best of them.

:corn

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »
I don't care where the best pizza comes from.  I only care where the best pizza readily available to me comes from.

And in that regard, as said earlier, most towns have at least one or two local pizza joints that are pretty good.  So that's what I look for.

In general, I definitely want NY style, not the meat and cheese pie style from Chicago.  I'm sure it's very tasty, but it's not what I think of as "pizza".
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 11:24:18 AM »
Long answer: Best pizza comes from Italy. It amuses me that Americans hate it. They'd also hate Chinese food intensely, despite loving what we call Chinese. Same with Brits and their pseudo-Indian, and Thai probably fits into that, as well. Best Pizza I had was in a town called Lecco, and starred prosciutto, artichoke hearts, shrooms and a modest amount of mozzarella. I also had a pretty shitty pizza there that they made specifically for my American ass. All the more reason to skip Rome.

Short answer: Wherever you come from. People like what they like and that's generally the thing they're used to. I can get enchiladas or chili in pretty much every city in America. Away from Texas it starts to suck, though. Yet I'm sure people in Cincinnati love what they call chili. Same thing with BBQ. Hef and I would probably beat each other senseless over what constitutes good BBQ. NYC pizza is fine, but nothing to write home about. Its availability is it's best point, really.

Fuck, I guessed wrong which would be the long and short answers.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2017, 11:26:31 AM »
I think there's also just a big difference between Italian pizza and American pizza. Just like there's a big difference between NY pizza and Chicago pizza. In the end, though made from the same basic ingredients, they're different beasts.
fanticide.bandcamp.com