Author Topic: Mangini won the Modern Drummer Magazine 2017 readers poll for best prog drummer  (Read 6908 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
The staff of the magazine, who are really good drummers, are the ones who narrow down the nominees. So they would tend to select the real drummer's drummers in a genre, and these drummers would not necessarily be popular. When the ballot is opened to the public, the ones that many people really know would tend to have an advantage.

And there were big prog releases last year with known drummers. Big Big Train by Folklore with Nick D'Virgilio. F E A R by Marillion with Ian Mosley. Affinity by Haken with Raymond Hearne. Theories of Flight by Fates Warning with Bobby Jarzombek. I think the question would be, why were these drummers not included in the ballot by the Modern Drummer staff? Did they not make the cut in terms of quality of output?
Unbelievable these two weren't nominees :tdwn
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
By the way, Mangini made a really impressive job on TA, he deserves it. But if Jarzombeck and Hearne were the winners, this award would be in good hands too  :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline erwinrafael

Well, it's not like the other nominees were slouches. ;)

Navene Koperweis

Aric Improta

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:32:38 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline bill1971

Mangini's award wasn't really for him but for lifelong recognition of DT drumming over the years.

:)

And WOW to his switching up like that!!!!

I don't know if you were joking but I thought something similar. I'm not a Portboy but I can't think of any Mangini drum parts from the last two albums that made me rewind them and listen to them again except for one part in Illumination Theory. And to be fair to MM, he hasn't has much opportunity to impact the song writing. Still I am happy for him. He seems like a really good dude and he's clearly a great drummer.

I was joking, alluding to when DT won the grammy,  MP said "I think, honestly, that the tip of the cap with that nomination was more of a career nod and the fact that DREAM THEATER existed and made such a splash on our own terms. I honestly don't think it had anything to do with just the new album ['A Dramatic Turn Of Events'] and that particular song ['On The Backs Of Angels']. I mean, of course, it's easy for me to say that, and I'll probably get [slammed] for saying that, but I think the reality is it was more of a career nod, and if so, if that's the case, then I think it's well deserved. Whether or not I'm there, I think the band really made its mark for what we did, so I think it deserves to be recognized."
Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-dream-theater-s-grammy-nomination-was-heartbreaking-for-me-on-a-personal-level/#upB4TfgAoXilIumq.99

I do agree Affinity by Haken with Raymond Hearne. Theories of Flight by Fates Warning with Bobby Jarzombek should have been included. I think MM should have won and haven't heard much off the new Haken although I know he is a really great drummer but I LOVE Bobby's drumming on Theories of Flight.

Offline aglenn01

Agree 100 percent with Jarzombek. Guy is an absolute monster, in fact I'm not sure there is anyone on the planet other than Mike M. who could play what Jarzombek plays. Just a beast, check out his youtube videos with his open handed technique. Amazing stuff. Guy needs more recognition, esp considering how long he has been in the game. The Arch/Matheos record from a few years ago is one of the best records in a long, long time, and Bobby J is the reason!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm recording in Los Angeles next week.

Maybe a drum duet with MP who was also in LA the same dates?

Offline goo-goo

Agree 100 percent with Jarzombek. Guy is an absolute monster, in fact I'm not sure there is anyone on the planet other than Mike M. who could play what Jarzombek plays. Just a beast, check out his youtube videos with his open handed technique. Amazing stuff. Guy needs more recognition, esp considering how long he has been in the game. The Arch/Matheos record from a few years ago is one of the best records in a long, long time, and Bobby J is the reason!

Absolutely this! I would of loved for Bobby J to have auditioned with DT and get the job. Seems like he didn't accept the invite. I can't remember why. The last 3 records with Arch/Matheos and Fates Warning have been amazing in the drum department.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
This isn't me implying anything at all but I was thinking the other day - was Mangini the only American to audition for DT ?

There were 7 weren't there ?

1. Mangini - American ( with Italian heritage like Petrucci )
2. Thomas Lang - Austrian
3. Marco Minneman - German ?
4. Peter Wildoer - Swedish
5. Derek Roddy - Canadian ( ok North American :P )
6. Virgil Donati - Australian
7. Aquiles Priester - Brazillian

Just interesting to me.

Not implying that they chose a drummer from 6 different countries to broaden their appeal. But if they were deep down thinking about it I wouldn't be surprised.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Roddy is Canadian?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Roddy is Canadian?

Well, Florida. Which is basically Canada.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
This isn't me implying anything at all but I was thinking the other day - was Mangini the only American to audition for DT ?

There were 7 weren't there ?

1. Mangini - American ( with Italian heritage like Petrucci )
2. Thomas Lang - Austrian
3. Marco Minneman - German ?
4. Peter Wildoer - Swedish
5. Derek Roddy - Canadian ( ok North American :P )
6. Virgil Donati - Australian
7. Aquiles Priester - Brazillian

Just interesting to me.

Not implying that they chose a drummer from 6 different countries to broaden their appeal. But if they were deep down thinking about it I wouldn't be surprised.

When you think about it, really all signs were pointing at Mangini. New England based, worked with James before, American, had no other commitments. And unlike the other contestants (with the exception of Priester and Wildoer maybe), he *really* wanted the job.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Roddy is Canadian?

Dunno why I thought he was Canadian. In my mind he sounded Canadian. Shoulda checked ! D'oh !

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

Facebook message of Mike Mangini:

"Nice surprise to me... I believe someone posted I was up for this. Thank You to those who were aware and voted. I was practicing my feet and listening to songs I'm recording in Los Angeles next week. I'll post more on that in a couple of months probably. 

So Mangini is the drummer in MP's Prog Metal Supergroup??

Thanks for doing that so I didn't have to do it, Tim.

Offline Scottjf8

Is he recording drums for his solo album?

Gotta be since JP said DT isn't even thinking about DT14 until 2018.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Roddy is Canadian?

Dunno why I thought he was Canadian. In my mind he sounded Canadian. Shoulda checked ! D'oh !

Well, he *did* have a weird pronunciation. I was surprised myself that he's actually American.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

Happy birthday, Mike Mangini! May you have a great year ahead of you.