Author Topic: SFAM Official Bootleg/LP vs CD Differences  (Read 1349 times)

Offline LTE777

SFAM Official Bootleg/LP vs CD Differences
« on: March 19, 2017, 07:05:54 AM »
As SFAM is hands down my favourite album of all time, I was thinking of buying the LP of this album and I was wondering if anyone on the forum has the LP and if in their opinion it sounds much different (better?) to the CD version or would like to give a brief review of their experience?

Also, does anyone have the official bootleg via ytsejam and are there noticeable differences between the originals vs the alternate mixes or are they very minimal and far between?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: SFAM Official Bootleg/LP vs CD Differences
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:36:15 PM »
I can't comment on the vinyl since I am not a vinyl guy at all, but I do recommend picking up the Making of SFaM official bootleg, especially given that it's your favorite DT album. To answer your question about the album version vs. the original mix, there are some differences for sure. Through Her Eyes in particular is the most different, if I'm not mistaken. There are differences in the rest of the songs, but that song is the most significant.

But I'd also encourage you to pick it up for the first CD as well, which gives you an idea of how the album was put together, the writing stages, etc. Some pretty cool clips of them working out the songs, and especially within the early stages that include some ideas that were either modified or completely thrown out.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »
"i sense the need, to try and clarify my memories - my quest begins today". Actual fatal tragedy beginning ;)

There's a lot of effects that were removed on the voice for instance (phaser for instance in fatal tragedy) and a lot of smaller riffs and sections were removed in the Shirley mixes. A lot of small keyboard stuff.

Fatal Tragedy is a LOT different in the Bottrill mixes.

One of the WEIRD things is that the acoustic part in Beyond This Life (right before the fast solo section) DOES NOT have the audible metronome in it in the Bottrill mixes.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 04:12:33 PM »
"i sense the need, to try and clarify my memories - my quest begins today". Actual fatal tragedy beginning ;)

There's a lot of effects that were removed on the voice for instance (phaser for instance in fatal tragedy) and a lot of smaller riffs and sections were removed in the Shirley mixes. A lot of small keyboard stuff.

Fatal Tragedy is a LOT different in the Bottrill mixes.

One of the WEIRD things is that the acoustic part in Beyond This Life (right before the fast solo section) DOES NOT have the audible metronome in it in the Bottrill mixes.

I love the added lyrics in Fatal Tragedy. That alone makes the CD worth it.

I actually prefer the version of Through Her Eyes on the Making Of CD. The saxophone solo is especially special.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 01:36:41 PM »
Can you still order it? I thought Ytsejam was closed? Is it still active?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 09:12:30 PM »
It's still open as far as I know.

Offline LTE777

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 03:09:27 AM »
Thanks all, much appreciated.  Looks like Ill at least have to get the Bootleg but not sure if the LP is worth it.

I didn't think the store was still operating? I went there a few times over the past month and the site was down but just went onto it to order this and few other items and it looks like its working??

Can anyone verify they have purchased from there recently?

Also, one thing that has irritated me since 2000 is the string scratching on the acoustic guitar in finally free.  I wonder if this is still in the Official Bootleg version?