Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: all done...  (Read 9524 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Twosuitsluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: all done...
« on: March 18, 2017, 12:18:09 PM »
Welcome all to the obligatory 2016 albums thread

Well it was inevitable that this would become a bigger project before it even got off the ground  :lol

I was planning to do a top 25 but as I was putting together my list (and working out honourable mentions) I realised I'd forgotten a few albums. So we now have a top 30 instead. I'm planning to post a new album every few days (or as soon as conversation dies down on said album) with a little write up and links to favourite songs.

Before we kick this off with #30 though I wanted to do a little honourable mentions section. This will be divided into three sections.

• Albums that I listened to, didn't like enough to make the top 30.
  • Albums that I did listen to but not enough to rank them
  • Albums I didn't get around to listening to but will do soon

We'll start with the three albums that I did listen to but they didn't make the top 30 (because I didn't really like them):

Wolfmother - Victorious

I really liked Wolfmother's debut but the follow up was pretty poor as far as I'm concerned. I checked this out just to give them a chance. This just doesn't do a lot for me but never mind, I don't see it as a great loss. I have the debut if I want a Wolfmother fix.

Killswitch Engage - Incarnate

I went to see a band with a few friends back in November and Killswitch were supporting. I've not really listened to them in years but there was a time where I used to listen to Alive or Just Breathing quite a lot. I gave this a few spins as I was going to be seeing them but it's just Killswitch Engage by numbers and I've just moved on.

The Avalanches - Wildflower

I had a real urge to Since I Left You just before Christmas and it's still a great album. I then realised that The Avalanches had released an album in 2016. I gave it a go but it was more hip hop than trip hop and I just wasn't as in to it. I just listened to Since I Left You instead.

I'll follow up with the other honourable mentions tonight and possibly post #30 on the list as well....

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:30:33 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Twosuitluke's Top 30 albums of 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 12:20:22 PM »
oceans of slumber - winter for #2
the dear hunter - act v for #1

like, not even my personal prefs or anything, just.

also i should do a top albums of 2016 list sometime, maybe

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 12:27:53 PM »
oceans of slumber - winter for #2
the dear hunter - act v for #1

like, not even my personal prefs or anything, just.

also i should do a top albums of 2016 list sometime, maybe

Well you are half right there. There will be no surprises with my #1  :heart

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 01:24:29 PM »
So the second part of the honourable mentions only has three albums, this is albums I have given a listen to but not enough to rank them properly:

Testament – Brotherhood of the Snake

I've always loved Testament and they are the only thrash band that were around from the start yet still release albums that feel relevant. Slayer, Metallica and Megadeth all feel like old bands now that are trying to recapture their past glory (I feel Megadeth are doing the best out of those three by the way) but Testament never feel like that kind of band to me. They have evolved over the years and their later, heavier output is just great. I've only listened to this once so can't really rank it but it was certainly a solid effort from these thrashers. I'll give it some more spins soon, good stuff.

Neurosis – Fires Within Fires

I've got a few Neurosis albums but they have never been a favourite band of mine. I feel as though my tastes are changing and that this sort of music is starting to appeal to me more. I've only listened to this once and the only thing I really remember was thinking that it was quite short, is this actually an EP? I don't even recall. Anyway, I'll be spinning again soon  :metal

Steven Wilson – 4 ½

I'm only a casual Porcupine Tree fan and only have three albums. I checked out The Raven That Refused to Sing sometime back in 2015 and thought it was ok. I added all the Steven Wilson solo albums to my Spotify playlist and I really sat up and took notice when this came on. I really like it. I've listened to this twice through and I know that I really dug it both times, from start to finish. Something about it had me really connecting with it more than I have with anything else Steven has recorded. I'm looking forward to actually listening to all of his solo stuff this year.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:31:17 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »
Did you hear Steven's Hand. Cannot. Erase.? It is awesome.
Didn't get to the newest Testament yet because I'm not into thrash lately but if it hit me again one day, I'll check it out :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 03:21:34 PM »
No, I've not heard H.C.E yet, it's on my Spotify playlist but not listened to it yet. I'm optimistic about hearing it after hearing 4 1/2. Are you a fan of Testament's more recent albums? BotS is all in the same vein so you might like it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:35:00 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 03:28:00 PM »
Yep, The Formation and Dark Roots were both on regular rotation few years ago :metal

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 04:06:32 PM »
The final part of my honourable mentions isn't really honourable mentions at all, these are the albums I never got around to checking out last year (but will do this year). I'm sure I will update this thread once I have listened to all these albums and do a revised ranking. But for now, just check out the artwork and tell me what a fool I've been for missing out on these.

Myrath - Legacy

Kvelertak - Nattesferd

Periphery - Periphery III: Select Difficulty

Alter Bridge - The Last Hero

Destrage - A Means to an End

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Dissociation

Crowbar - The Serpent Only Lies

Animals as Leaders - The Madness of Many

Frost* - Falling Satellites

Thrice - To Be Everywhere is to Be Nowhere

Twelve Foot Ninja - Outlier

Sunburst - Fragments of Creation

Lesbian - Hallucinogenesis

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 05:39:49 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 05:50:06 AM »
Following :tup

Lots of great stuff in the list of albums you haven't checked out yet! I already know the #1 and pretty sure I know the #2 as well, but I'm looking forward to your objectively bad ranking of Odyssey to the West.

That Destrage album is alright but don't go in expecting an Are You Kidding Me? No. pt. 2, it's got some amazing songs though like Not Everything Is Said, Symphony of the Ego and of course Blah Blah
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 05:59:55 AM »
That new Alter Bridge is awesome btw, I like it even more than Blackbird (didn't get into other albums yet). Kvelertak - Nattesferd is fine, not as good as debut but better than Meir IMO.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 07:56:00 AM »
Following :tup

Lots of great stuff in the list of albums you haven't checked out yet! I already know the #1 and pretty sure I know the #2 as well, but I'm looking forward to your objectively bad ranking of Odyssey to the West.

That Destrage album is alright but don't go in expecting an Are You Kidding Me? No. pt. 2, it's got some amazing songs though like Not Everything Is Said, Symphony of the Ego and of course Blah Blah

That new Alter Bridge is awesome btw, I like it even more than Blackbird (didn't get into other albums yet). Kvelertak - Nattesferd is fine, not as good as debut but better than Meir IMO.

Cheers guys, I'll definitely get to these albums over the coming weeks and probably before I wrap this thread up so I'll post some little reviews of these albums then.

I'll start with #30 within the next hour.... 

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 08:19:27 AM »

Witchcraft - Nucleus

Starting this proper we have Nucleus by Witchcraft, a doom/hard rock band hailing from Sweden. I remember first checking out Witchcraft back in like 2007 when they released The Alchemist (which I love and highly recommend). Unfortunately this album isn’t quite as good as The Alchemist. Back in 2007 I was big into the band Down and Phil Anselmo used to bang on about these guys like they were the second coming. I finally got The Alchemist and although it was a bit different to what I was expecting (it’s kinda classic rock with a bit of a doomy feel, it’s more like Led Zeppelin than Black Sabbath though) I really dug it, way more than most Down albums actually.

Anyway, fast forward to last year and I heard that Witchcraft had released a new album. They actually have 5 albums under their belt but Nucleus is only the second I’ve heard. In all fairness I may not have given this enough spins to really let it sink in but it didn’t really grab me like most of the other albums on here. Nucleus is quite a bit heavier than The Alchemist and way doomier but it feels like it’s too long and can be a bit of a chore to get through. There are some solid heavy riffs (especially in the first track, Malstroem) peppered throughout this album but the songs just aren’t as memorable as on The Alchemist. One thing I have always loved about this band is Magnus’s voice, it is pretty distinctive and fits really well with the music, it’s kinda how I wish Lee Dorrian from Cathedral sounded. If Magnus sang for Cathedral I’d be way more into them. 

There are some good songs and musical ideas on this album but some of it is just there. The title track, for instance, is 14 minutes long but it doesn’t really go anywhere in that time and just loses my interest. I think the problem with this album is that a lot of it sounds incredibly samey, at least to me. There are flashes of brilliance but just not enough to make it a great album. It’s a bit frustrating really as it probably could’ve been a lot better if they trimmed some bits here and there.

Favourite song: Malstroem
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:27:39 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Twosuitluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #30 is the work of...
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 02:14:12 PM »

Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason

So here I am giving Meshuggah a go, again. I first heard Meshuggah back in about 2006/7 when I saw a second hand copy of Catch 33 for £3 in my local record shop. It still remains my favourite album of theirs even though I wouldn’t call myself a big fan. I find Meshuggah to be extremely repetitive and monotonous. I mean, Meshuggah are technically great and brutal as fuck but listening to a full album can be an exhausting experience for me personally.  I very nearly got tickets to go see them in January and I probably should have as I feel I would enjoy them more in a live environment.

This album was getting some rave reviews when it dropped so I thought I’d give it a spin. This just feels like standard Meshuggah to me, I’m not a big enough fan, I guess, to really notice how this is different from any of their other albums. I know there are some hardcore fans on DTF who will likely breakdown exactly why this release is better than ‘X’ album but I just don’t hear it. I totally think that Meshuggah are the sort of band that if you are a musician yourself then maybe you have a better appreciation for what they are doing. As I am not a musician however, I can’t see it from that point of view. This is another brutal release that is just in your face from start to finish, it has all the Meshuggah hallmarks and is about as subtle as Jens Kidman’s iconic grimace.

It’s hard for me to really pick out a favourite song as when I listen to the album in full I can’t really differentiate between most songs. This is just an album that I’ll put on if I want to listen to something punishing for an hour. I don’t really have much more to say about this album and I’m sure there are some fans on DTF who could do this more justice and sell it better.

Favourite song: By The Ton, Nostrum

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Twosuitluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #29 is brutality at bedtime...
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 03:14:19 PM »
I wish I understood the appeal of meshuggah

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 03:22:55 PM »
I wish I understood my lack of understanding!

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 03:27:32 PM »
Same I'm really missing something I guess, the absence of melody and chord progressions in the songs I heared kind of bores me.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 03:31:24 PM »
Yea, I don't like much sugar in my coffee either :neverusethis:

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »
Yea, I don't like much sugar in my coffee either :neverusethis:
It took me too long  :lol
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 03:37:34 PM »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »
I don't remember much of this album at all, but I do remember By The Ton, Ivory Tower and Into Decay were far and away the best tracks. I want to give it more listens, but I'm rarely in a Meshuggah "mood", I do like them in moderation though, especially the more groovy tracks which is why I prefer those I mentioned.

Same I'm really missing something I guess, the absence of melody and chord progressions in the songs I heared kind of bores me.
Is Meshuggah even music though? They're almost as bad as SLAYER :neverusethis: those guys have never heard of the word melody and just blabber on about satan all the time
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 03:53:57 PM »
Me waiting for Elite to show up -------->:corn

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 03:59:25 PM »
Say what you want but I personally think Slayer are way better. They haven't released a decent album in nearly 20 years but their earlier stuff was just great. I will happily stick on a Slayer album once in a while and headbang the fuck out. They wrote plenty of songs that weren't in your face thrash and some of their lyrics are just great to sing aloud. Especially in front of people who will get weirded out by them. I'm breaking down the stereotype that metal heads are Satanists by singing that shit but then reminding people it's all just entertainment  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 04:04:43 PM »
Seasons in the Abyss and South of Heaven are both pretty melodic albums, still love them.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 04:24:15 PM »
Meshuggah is hit or miss with and I have to be in the mood for them.

The Witchcraft album is good. I'm a big fan of doom music, especially the heavier stuff. This reminds me of a slowed down version of Tool with Aaron Stainthorpe-style vocals. Good stuff.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 05:15:06 PM »

The Witchcraft album is good. I'm a big fan of doom music, especially the heavier stuff. This reminds me of a slowed down version of Tool with Aaron Stainthorpe-style vocals. Good stuff.

Yea, I'm pretty much the same with the 'Shuggah.

Witchcraft are a good band and I do need to check out some of their other albums, Nucleus just wasn't as good as I'd hoped it'd be. I like me some doom too but I can be a little on the picky side with it. I've been listening to quite a lot of Paradise Lost recently, that's what I'm digging right now. Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us is just  :hefdaddy

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 06:00:10 PM »

Witchcraft are a good band and I do need to check out some of their other albums, Nucleus just wasn't as good as I'd hoped it'd be. I like me some doom too but I can be a little on the picky side with it. I've been listening to quite a lot of Paradise Lost recently, that's what I'm digging right now. Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us is just  :hefdaddy

I'm picky as well. Paradise Lost are a great band and now I think I'll listen to them. Draconian Times.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »
Slayer's last album, Repentless is pretty old school.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 02:04:44 AM »
For the record, luke, I'm totally kidding about Slayer. :lol I mean, I'm not a fan, but I wouldn't bash them like that, I've heard some really good songs by them (I think you were even the one who played them in plug)

I'm picky as well. Paradise Lost are a great band and now I think I'll listen to them. Draconian Times.
For whatever reason couldn't get into Draconian Times myself. I personally like The Plague Within a lot but I don't listen to it nearly as much as I should

I don't really listen to doom that much, I can only take it in in moderation I guess, but Katatonia is one that I'm looking forward to delving into more. Their discography is so massive though.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 02:15:37 AM »
For the record, luke, I'm totally kidding about Slayer. :lol I mean, I'm not a fan, but I wouldn't bash them like that, I've heard some really good songs by them (I think you were even the one who played them in plug)

For whatever reason couldn't get into Draconian Times myself. I personally like The Plague Within a lot but I don't listen to it nearly as much as I should

I don't really listen to doom that much, I can only take it in in moderation I guess, but Katatonia is one that I'm looking forward to delving into more. Their discography is so massive though.

Katatonia has some great material. They recently went the same direction as Anathema and put out some lighter music. They weren't as great as Anathema's releases (IMO), but I say they are definitely worth checking out.

Paradise Lost has put out a lot of good music. Besides Draconian Times, One Second and Gothic are favorites of mine.I'm listening to The Plague Within right now.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 02:23:28 AM »
I am very aware, The Fall of Hearts made my top 10 last year. :tup

The only other album I'm familiar enough with is Dead End Kings and its acoustic counterpart. I seem to be the only one that prefers Dethroned & Uncrowned though. Probably continuing the journey with The Great Cold Distance and Brave Murder Day, the latter because I'm really curious about their earlier sound which supposedly also includes harsh vocals?

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 02:24:06 AM »

Yea, I know. My comment actually reads like I was slightly offended by what you said but I really wasn't. It was as if your comment was almost bait for someone  :justjen :neverusethis:

The Plague Within is pretty good but I've only gotten around to listening to it recently so it's still pretty new to me. I've only heard Katatonia's fairly recent albums and they're not really doom at all, I've not listened to their earlier, doomier stuff......yet.

Slayer's last album, Repentless is pretty old school.

I suppose it was but I just didn't really like it. If it feels like they are trying too hard to be old school it is likely to fail for me. Bands should play what comes naturally and not necessarily just what they feel their fanbase want. I mean, I know it's up to them but Slayer feel like a band who will just keep putting out the same kind of stuff, no real surprises. That will please a lot of fans but I'd rather hear something out of the box from them. Unfortunately the loss of Jeff probably had a big impact on why I didn't like the latest as much as well.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 02:35:53 AM »
I am very aware, The Fall of Hearts made my top 10 last year. :tup

The only other album I'm familiar enough with is Dead End Kings and its acoustic counterpart. I seem to be the only one that prefers Dethroned & Uncrowned though. Probably continuing the journey with The Great Cold Distance and Brave Murder Day, the latter because I'm really curious about their earlier sound which supposedly also includes harsh vocals?

Yes. I got into them a couple of years after they came out. My friend was playing in a local doom band and through that I was introduced to so much different music. Bands like My Dying Bride, Anathema, and Amorphis became favorites of mine. Old Katatonia is extremely doom sounding with harsh vocals. If I remember correctly their first three albums (Dance of December Souls, For Funerals to Come, and Brave Murder Day) have the growling vocals. They are still great to listen to. It's like with the other bands. I love the new sound Anathema and Amorphis have but listening to those old albums brings back memories. Plus they are so dark which I love.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 02:58:42 AM »
Me waiting for Elite to show up -------->:corn

Hi!

Good pick, but I would - indeed - put it higher :biggrin:

I do think The Violent Sleep of Reason might be Meshuggah's best album, because it 'breathes' more than their other records and is more organic sounding. Despite what people make you believe, Meshuggah does melodic things as well, although they are extremely subtle. I guess they are not for everybody and I do not always have the urge to listen to them either. It also took me years to get into their music.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Twosuitluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #30 is the work of...
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 11:15:50 AM »

Volbeat - Seal the Deal & Let's Boogie

Volbeat, Volbeat, Volbeat. For anyone who doesn't really know this band they are a Danish (mostly) 4 piece who play their hard rock/metal with a Johnny Cash swagger and underlying country vibe. All delivered via a James Hetfield/Danzig/Elvis hybrid of a frontman. Essentially what they are doing is nothing new but the mix that they have is quite unique.

When I first heard these guys, back in Spring 2013, I fell in love pretty hard. I actually heard Cape of Our Hero on the radio and loved it. I spent the next few months playing the shit out of all their albums. I loved their mix of Metallica, Elvis, Social Distortion and Glen Danzig. I still love Michael Poulsen’s voice (his Danish twang and the fact English isn't his first language gives his vocals a really distinct sound) and singing along to their tunes is a joy. I burnt out on these guys though and don’t really listen much anymore. When I heard this album was coming out I wasn’t too fussed about hearing it but as the year was getting older I decided to give it a spin.

This is nothing new, like at all. It’s Volbeat exactly as I expected them to sound. It’s not terrible and it’s not great, it’s just another Volbeat album. I’m fine with that to be honest but I’d also be happy just sticking on their older albums whenever I need a hit. I can’t really say this album has any stand out hits compared to their older albums though. I usually have at least 2 songs that I will fall in love with and love to sing along to, either this album isn’t as strong or I just haven’t spent enough time with it. I'm not sure if I have just passed the stage where I love what these guys are doing or whether they have got a bit stale and the songs just aren't as good? I'm happy either way though, Volbeat will be a band that I can just stick on and rock out to every now and then. That's all I want from these guys and I'll keep going back for that fix until I'm done.

Favourite songs: Marie Laveau, Black Rose Spotify link to the album

Offline jakepriest

Re: Twosuitluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #28 is dancing with Pokemon...
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2017, 08:27:13 PM »
I enjoy a few Volbeat songs here and there. Not a band I'm into much though.