Author Topic: Twosuitsluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: all done...  (Read 9522 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Twosuitluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #28 is dancing with Pokemon...
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 08:43:18 PM »
They are one of those bands I never bothered to check out, so I figured I'd see what they are all about. I am watching the Seal the Deal video on YouTube. They're pretty good. Very catchy.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2017, 01:26:57 AM »
They are one of those bands I never bothered to check out, so I figured I'd see what they are all about. I am watching the Seal the Deal video on YouTube. They're pretty good. Very catchy.

Nice one  :tup

The two songs that really got me into this band are Cape of Our Hero and Still Counting. Give them a go, I'm totally biased towards these songs but I think they are way better than anything on the latest album.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:42:52 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2017, 07:25:07 AM »
why did you send a 240p version tho, sounds terrible  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »
Volbeat gone kvlt
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Twosuitluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #27 is a hammer of the gods...
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2017, 05:43:47 AM »

Glass Hammer - Valkyrie

This is actually my most recent album from 2016, I only got around to listening to this within the last month or so. Glass Hammer are a five piece band with three members taking up lead vocals (one of which is female) and you get quite a nice diversity within that. The music is a bit too synth heavy for me and there isn’t really much in the way of riffs that grab my attention. This album is the only one on my list that is basically synth heavy, classic prog. I’m not too big a fan of that era but I can listen to it.

I noticed this was getting good reviews so took a punt. These guys unashamedly sound like Yes and ELP, but still feel relevant. My Dad is a big fan of all those 70’s prog bands so I really need to give him a copy of this. Fans of that classic prog sound this will probably dig this. For me it’s a nice listen and it sounds quite rich but it just doesn’t get my juices flowing. As I’ve said I’ve also spent less time with this album than any other on the list so ask me in a year and it might have shot up my rankings.

So apparently there is a concept to this album, which according to Wikipedia is "a soldier’s struggle to return home from the horrors of war, to the girl who loves him and must ultimately find her way to him.". I tend to find that I’m not the sort of person who can take in all the lyrics and follow a concept, unless I really try. My ear just follows what is going on musically.  At this point I don’t necessarily have a favourite song/songs. No Man’s Land is the longest track on the album and has a bit of an ‘epic’ feel, there is also some stuff on there that is very reminiscent of the latest Opeth album. Nexus is an instrumental and is the sort of song that makes this album feel fresh as it’s not really the sort of thing you would expect to hear on a classic prog album, it almost goes a bit industrial. The album ends with Rapturo, which is also a highlight, with its lush use of piano in the intro and powerful vocal performance. As I write this I’m probably listening to this album for about the third time. It is paced fairly well and doesn’t feel overlong. As someone who is not usually that big a fan of female vocals (only when compared to male that is) I actually quite like them on this album, especially the final track. I must say that the album cover was another thing that drew me in to this album. I think it’s really beautiful and I love the colours. I think I saw it first on progarchives.com and it certainly caught my eye. So yea, in summary if you like a bit of synthy classic prog with a modern feel and a war based concept, then get on it, you’ll likely not be disappointed. 

Favourite songs: No Man’s Land, Rapturo

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Twosuitluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #27 is a hammer of the gods...
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2017, 08:30:35 AM »
I've just updated the 'albums I've yet to listen to' part and added Sunburst - Fragments of Creation and Lesbian - Hallucinogenesis (mainly for myself if nothing else, so I can keep note of what I need to catch up on)

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Twosuitluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #26 is a flightless bird...
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2017, 06:09:33 PM »

Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts

I’m still fairly new to Katatonia to be honest as I’ve only listened to like three of their albums, and that’s all been within the last few months. Their latest jumped out at me at first listen and I’m not entirely sure why, I can’t even remember which song off this album made me take notice.

I’ve been aware of Katatonia for years but I always heard them compared to Opeth. I’m not really sure why as nothing that I have heard so far sounds remotely like them, maybe it’s just because they are both Swedish? As I’ve been a big Opeth fan for years I was put off as I didn’t fancy listening to a poor man’s version. So fast forward and here we are and I’m eating my words. I’ve probably only listened to this album about 3-4 times at this point so its ranking now may be a little lower than it may be in 6 months’ time. This album doesn’t exactly blow my socks off but it is a nice relaxing listen and I just enjoy the hell out of it. It’s not overly heavy and I guess I was surprised by how many songs were radio friendly.

I think that the most obvious thing that I love about this album is Jonas’s vocals. I mean, there is enough going on here musically as well but I love the sound of his voice and seem to focus on it. Yea, I suppose as this is still so new to me I can’t really gush over it too much but it’s a great listen and I will be looking forward to delving into the rest of their back catalogue over coming months.

Favourite songs: Old Hearts Fall, Serac

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2017, 02:39:36 AM »
I’ve been aware of Katatonia for years but I always heard them compared to Opeth. I’m not really sure why as nothing that I have heard so far sounds remotely like them, maybe it’s just because they are both Swedish?

The reason for this is Brave Murder Day. Even then it's not musically that similar but man, those vocals... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6QenZcDxXk
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 02:44:55 AM »
I rate it a bit higher than you but yeah I agree, it's a nice chill listen. One of those albums I can't really love but it's hard to dislike as well, and it's just very consistent throughout.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2017, 02:51:26 AM »
I’ve been aware of Katatonia for years but I always heard them compared to Opeth. I’m not really sure why as nothing that I have heard so far sounds remotely like them, maybe it’s just because they are both Swedish?

The reason for this is Brave Murder Day. Even then it's not musically that similar but man, those vocals... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6QenZcDxXk

Ok yeah, I hear that. I just haven't listened to any old Katatonia yet  :facepalm:

That sounds pretty sweet so I'll get to some of their older stuff soon  :tup

I rate it a bit higher than you but yeah I agree, it's a nice chill listen. One of those albums I can't really love but it's hard to dislike as well, and it's just very consistent throughout.

Pretty much. It's still pretty new to me so I can't really rank it higher.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2017, 03:12:55 AM »
I don't like direction they turned to with this album, like they lost a bit of emotions in exchange for technicality. It's still pretty good, some great songs are there. 
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Twosuitluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #25 is not my slice of choice...
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2017, 06:41:48 AM »

Slice the Cake - Odyssey to the West

I heard a lot of statements about this album, that I assumed to be hyperbole, last year. Turns out, as far as I’m concerned, I assumed correct.  I was really expecting something truly great from this album and I’ve given it plenty of tries but it doesn’t do much for me at all. The album cover conjures up images and memories of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower series, something about it makes me think of Roland and his journey. I think there is a concept to this album (but I could be wrong?) but I honestly have no clue as to what it is. I think part of me was expecting some heavier version of a Coheed and Cambria style concept album. Ultimately I was let down (maybe my expectations were just too high and also way off base) and a bit underwhelmed.

Now this album is heavy, really heavy, for most of its running time. I am fine with heavy extreme music but I feel I’d like to hear more contrast on this album, like there are parts with clean, spoken word parts which then segue into guttural death metal style vocals, like at the beginning of Stone and Silver Part III. For me these bits sound cool but they are too few and far between for my liking. I also find the music to be mainly quite uninteresting. It’s so heavy but just quite lifeless, the riffs just don’t connect for me. I’d like to hear more melody, like at the beginning of Westward Bound Part I, but I find this album to be lacking in that department. Speaking of Westward Bound Part I, I prefer the harsh vocals at the beginning of that song (opposed to the style they use for most of the rest of the album) as they have more life to them.

This is by no means a bad album and I urge people to check the it out, it has plenty to get your teeth into. I will admit that this album does strike me as the sort that may take a while to ‘click’ but once it does I’ll love it. I just can’t see that happening anytime soon. Maybe I just need to revisit it in about 6 months. I know there are some real fans of this album on here (sharpen your knives boys) who will be less than happy with this ranking so low but suck it, I think The Astonishing is better than this  :lol

Favourite song: Westward Bound Part I
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:51:09 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2017, 06:58:44 AM »
I found this to be incredibly overrated tbh. Didn't do anything for me and I don't feel like giving it another chance.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2017, 07:16:07 AM »
:(

I made a review that's being published on the 1 year anniversary date of this album (this Saturday) so there you can see my thoughts, but I think I've already gone into big detail about my love for this album to everyone here :lol

First listen I think all I cared for were the narratives and the deathcore bored me, but it clicked really quickly for me. What did take long for me is for the last suite to really get going, I used to think it dragged towards the end because of those songs (Ash and Rust I-IV)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2017, 12:35:19 PM »
Train played them on plug.dj and it was actually pretty immediate for me and I generally have a tougher time coming around to harsher vocals. There's something about the emotion underlying in the music that I connected with right away. I really enjoy the clean vocals and the passion of the harsher ones along with the music which I think was pretty stellar. The only issue I had was feeling it was a tad long (and I love long albums) but I get the reasoning behind it with the concept.

I'll be nice and won't compare it to the impotent TA.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2017, 01:31:14 PM »
I'm not as crazy about this one as train is but it's definitely one of the better releases from last year imo

A bit too long though, is the biggest problem, definitely bits that could've been cut down

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Twosuitluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #24 is aptly named...
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2017, 09:42:15 AM »
So I got a little behind with this as I've had a really busy week, on we go...

Dream Theater - The Astonishing

Well at least this is an album that I’m sure everyone will have listened to. This album is a strange beast. I wasn’t massively hyped for this release, even though I really like their previous album. I went into this with an open mind but ultimately I feel like it didn’t win me over. I think there are two main problems with this album for me.

Firstly, it’s just too long and there are too many songs that don’t add to the overall experience of the album. Many of us have already said it but if this album had been condensed down to one album it may have been brilliant. Secondly is the story, it feels like they are trying to make their own version of Game of Thrones or something. The problem is, the story (to me at least) is so amateur it hurts. The story (if I remember correctly) is all told over the space of about 3 days! It feels like it is aimed at a very young audience, the plot is very simple and straightforward. I feel they could have had a story that felt more ‘real’ and wasn’t spoon fed to you and I personally would have enjoyed it more. I just remember reading all the interviews before hand about how much time JP had spent creating the world and about the cast. It sounded like it could’ve been cool if executed well, I just don’t feel it was. It’s quite a big gripe of mine actually. It makes me feel as though they don’t deem their fanbase intelligent enough to handle a more adult storyline but again that’s just my opinion.

As I said, there are some really good songs on here and I feel musically it’s up to DT’s high standards. I really like Dystopian Overture as it introduces you to lots of the themes that you will be hearing throughout the album, I am a sucker for a good overture, I must admit. There are a few other highlights among the filler on the first disc, such as Three Days but the only song that I really love on the album is A New Beginning. It’s James vocals on this song that really do it for me, which is kind of unusual when picking my fave DT songs, it’s usually all about the music.

I suppose that is one of the other things this album is lacking actually, thinking about it. There aren’t many awesome instrumental sections or long songs where they go into an instrumental jam. I don’t know there are just all these short songs, too many of which are ballads, but nothing to get my teeth into. I’m still not sure whether the band consider this album a success or not. It definitely split opinion but I’m just not a huge fan, I hope they try something completely different with the next album, which I think is pretty much a given.

Favourite songs: Dystopian Overture, Three Days, A New Beginning, Our New World

As I've gotten behind with this I may post #23 tonight as well.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2017, 10:05:27 AM »
Completely agree with your comments about the length, I quite liked it when it came out but the long length keeps putting me of from relistening to it  As for the story, I think they also put way too much emphasis on it, talking about how it took a year to come up etc. Putting a pretty cliche story so much to the forefront doesn't do the album to well.

There are some fun (but kind of too short) instrumental sections tho, like the end of Three Days  :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2017, 10:13:08 AM »
As for the story, I think they also put way too much emphasis on it, talking about how it took a year to come up etc.

This.

If you are going to say that the story took a year to come to fruition then it should be better than this in my eyes. Like, if they'd hadn't said anything about that then I wouldn't have been so disappointed with how lame it was.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2017, 10:56:25 AM »
this is definitely not better than slice the kek

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2017, 12:29:26 PM »

:lol

I really do prefer it. Although TA has a lot of filler there are some songs that I really like, the same can't be said for Odyssey to the West. TA just has higher highs I guess.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2017, 01:15:23 PM »

compared to slice the kek TA is a masterpiece  :sadpanda:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2017, 01:16:24 PM »
slice your ears off  :tup

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2017, 01:23:42 PM »
slice your ears off  :tup

nah I wanna hear the new Ayreon album

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »
just listen to 01011001 again and you've basically got the full picture

Online twosuitsluke

Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct

I have considered Metallica my favourite band for most of my life. They were the first band I was obsessed with and they really got me into metal. I was never that interested in music growing up (which is pretty surprising if I think about how obsessive I am about it now) and preferred to play computer games and football. My older brother was always into music though and I was exposed to Metallica’s Black Album a lot when it was released in ’91, I was 8 and he was playing it ALL the time, even though I wasn’t consciously enjoying it, it was all seeping into my DNA.

Fast forward to about 2002 and I was 19, I was pretty into Hip-Hop at this point, Eminem, Dr Dre, NWA, stuff like that. I was at work one day and this guy I was working with stuck on The Black album. I probably hadn’t heard it in about 7 years and I was just like “Wow, I know this album inside out and I LOVE it.” This lead to a defining moment for me about a week later, I was in the local HMV and I vividly remember having Metallica’s Black Album in one hand and Stoned Raiders by Cypress Hill in the other. I couldn’t afford both so I was trying to decide which to buy. I see this as the moment I forsake Hip-Hop and started my love affair with metal. I never really looked back. I started a 6 month binge on Metallica’s back catalogue and got so immersed in everything that they are.

Anyway, enough about that, where does that all leave me now? I obviously broadened my horizons musically and although I don’t listen to Metallica that much nowadays I will still check out everything they release (saying that, I have never listened to Lulu). I’m in the camp that actually really liked Death Magnetic and I’ll say it now, I prefer DM over Hardwired, so shoot me. I am far from an audiophile so I was never really affected by the production on DM. I just prefer it and love most of the songs, a lot of that could be just down to the music I listen to now compared to what I was listening to back in 2008 but whatever.

When I heard the first single off this album I wasn’t that excited, it was pretty straight forward and nothing new. I suppose I feel I want something new to really excite me from Metallica. I’ll be honest, at this point I’m more excited about the prospect of James releasing a solo album than anything Metallica are likely to release. This album is just solid for me, nothing more, nothing less. There are some cool moments and plenty that sounds like ‘good ol’ Metallica’ but the albums above this in my list just excite me way more. I have given this album plenty of listens and I just don’t get the urge to listen to it very often. If it was any other band I probably wouldn’t even still really be listening but it’s Metallica so yeah.

A lot of people have said how much this album harks back to all eras of the bands career. I’m sorry, I just don’t feel this is similar to anything pre-Load. It all feels like post 1995 Metallica through and through to me (which I think may be mainly down to James vocal delivery). That’s not a bad thing but nothing can touch their first 5 albums in my eyes, but that is their golden era so I’m probably not alone there. To the songs, Hardwired, as I mentioned is a straight forward, fast paced Metallica ‘thrash’ song. It’s fine and I should probably play this whilst driving with my pedal to the metal, it’s probably best in this scenario. Atlas, Rise! is possibly in my top 2 songs on the album, it feels a little more adventurous than pretty much anything on here and I just enjoy the instrumentation towards the end, it’s a better sing along than most. I think that is ultimately what I look for in a good Metallica song nowadays, James will be at the center of what I like about a modern Metallica song. Moth into Flame has its moments and the video is ok I guess, there are all some groovy riffs going on. I think I might be outnumbered here but I think that Here Comes Revenge is another of the top tier songs on HtSD. I love the dark, brooding nature of it. It’s also a great example of the sort of Hetfield lyrics that work for me. Lastly we get to Spit Out the Bone, there was a lot of hype around this song when the album was released. It is a fast, thrashy end to the album but I don’t think it is as great as others have made out. Like, My Apocalypse was a similar end to Death Magnetic but I think that is a way better song personally. Metallica have ended a number of their albums with balls to the wall thrashers but this isn’t one of their best, it just happens to be better than most other songs on this album.

I don’t love or hate this album, it definitely could’ve been a worse album but it just feels like a standard Metallica album at this point in their career (I guess that is the best we could’ve hoped for anyway). We'll see how it stands the test of time.

Favourite songs: Atlas, Rise!, Here Comes Revenge, Spit Out the Bone 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:17:55 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline jakepriest

I found the album to be really mediocre at best. Moth and Am I Savage are pretty good songs I guess. Modern Hetfield vocals are a huge turnoff for me, but I could kinda bear them on DM.

Online twosuitsluke

I found the album to be really mediocre at best. Moth and Am I Savage are pretty good songs I guess. Modern Hetfield vocals are a huge turnoff for me, but I could kinda bear them on DM.

I wouldn't say Het's vocals are a turn off for me, they just aren't what they used to be  :tdwn

Online twosuitsluke

The King Blues - Off With Their Heads

The King Blues have been one of my favourites since I discovered them back in about 2009. They write politically charged punk with a bit of a London rude boy edge. They aren't your usual punk band though as the lead singer often plays a Ukulele and they don't really conform to playing instruments that most punk bands would play. They split up a few years ago as lead singer Itch went solo, it didn’t go so well (I wasn’t a big fan as he seemed to really try hard to break the mainstream) and here they are with their comeback EP. They actually have a new album out in a few weeks and I’ll be going to see them, which should be cool. I don't think they have any sort of popularity outside of the UK (and they aren't even known out of the underground punk scene here).

They aren’t messing about with this comeback, they pick up right where they left off and they are pissed off. The album cover says it all really (for those who may not know the cover depicts a decapitated former UK Prime Minister, David Cameron). This kicks off with Off with Their Heads which is a punk battle cry to rally against our government. I have always loved this band as they mix songs written to make you sit up and take notice of our social/political climate and also ones that champion the working class and make you feel proud to have come from nothing. I feel that this sort of music is important in this day and age as so many people are disconnected from what is actually going on around them as they are happy distracting themselves with social media (or DTF :neverusethis:).

We have 7 songs here, the first is the aforementioned Off with Their Heads, a song about living a life of fighting for what you believe in (Starting Fires), one about having no money but being able to write a song for your partner (Poems and Songs), another is a love song  (Words), a song about how we have evolved to live in such a disposable/throwaway society (Opposable Thumbs), the ignorance and racist attitude of some people (Taxi Driver) and finally Pure Fucking Love, an ode to your best mate who gets you, even when you’re an idiot. It’s another great example of the sort of music that can appeal to a generation. The King Blues are the sort of band that will be the one that speaks to teenagers in a way they’ve never known before. Like, it opens their ears to a whole world outside of the mainstream bullshit. It’ll stop you reading The Sun and think about whether Facebook is just distracting us from the greater issues going on in the world. All the while reminding us that we (however small and insignificant we feel) matter. They sing the songs for the forgotten kids and give voice to a generation. At least that is what they represent to me, even though I got into them when I was like 25 or something. I can’t recommend these guys enough and this is a great return to form.

Favourite songs: Off with Their Heads, Poems and Songs (at the 6:00 point in this link)

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Twosuitluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #21 is a lost voice...
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2017, 04:13:30 AM »

Anciients - Voice of the Void

Another great progressive metal band that I have discovered via DTF within the last year (as if I could ever get enough). This is one of the albums last year that is a prime example of an album that is great as a whole listen but there aren’t specifically any songs I adore. It’s just all solid and no filler, so it beats some albums that have better individual songs (arguably) than anything on here. I like Anciients style of progressive metal which lends heavily from bands like Opeth, with its mix of clean (which remind me of Ghost at times) and harsh vocals. Anciients (and another band featured on this list) are just how I like my blend of progressive music and death metal. I don’t think these guys are breaking any molds as such but it is a great listen with some awesome heavy riffs and vocals that just do it for me. Anciients have the knack for writing those 8 minute+ songs that just feel effortless and never out stay their welcome. I had a great feeling about this album from the very first listen and I certainly need to make time for their other album. If you are a fan of all the big names that play their progressive metal fused with more extreme metal then you will like this, I'm sure. I don't have too much more to say about this other than it is a great listen.

Favourite songs: Ibex Eye, Worshipper
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 04:45:58 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I don't know what it is. I loooved this album when it came out, especially Ibex Eye which is one of the best songs of 2016, but I absolutely never return to it for whatever reason. But yeah it is really good.

I don’t think these guys are breaking any molds as such but it is a great listen with some awesome heavy riffs and vocals that just do it for me. Anciients have the knack for writing those 8 minute+ songs that just feel effortless and never out stay their welcome.
yep yep, their core sound seems like a fairly safe one for prog metal fans in general, but it just works. I do think some songs (specially on Heart of Oak) could use some trimming though.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2017, 12:07:17 PM »
I've not heard Heart of Oak so I can't really comment on that but this is undoubtedly a band I will be keeping my eye on.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2017, 12:26:27 AM »
I'm a big fan of both Anciients albums.  :tup

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Twosuitsluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #20 is a step below silver...
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »

Crippled Black Phoenix - Bronze

This album was such an unexpected surprise. I’d heard a Crippled Black Phoenix song via the ‘Discover Weekly’ Spotify playlist and thought it was cool. I then noticed they’d released a new album so thought I’d check it out. It struck me as being a great listen, and continues to the more I spin it. This is another album that is so solid all the way through and although there aren’t many individual songs that I love, the whole experience is just great. The riffs are just pure gold on this release, they are thick and chunky, which I love, whilst there is a real melancholic feel to the album.

I don’t really listen to a massive amount of post-metal but I’m starting to dig albums like this a lot. The atmosphere throughout this record is just beautiful whilst also being dense and heavy, at times. I’ve only heard one other album by CBP but I will be certainly be trawling through their back catalogue. CBP are a seven piece with Justin Greaves (of Electric Wizard and Iron Monkey fame) at the helm and they really use the added piano and synths to create really lush soundscapes. They utilize the multiple vocalists to great effect and it’s mainly all clean vocals that you will hear. I love the fact they have this atmospheric post-rock sound with doom/stoner style riffage, it’s quality. Definitely check it out if you are into any sort of post-rock/metal.

Favourite songs: Deviant Burials, Scared and Alone
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:44:54 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Twosuitsluke's Top 30 albums of 2016: #19 is unforgiven...
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2017, 09:49:16 AM »

Black Crown Initiate - Selves We Cannot Forgive

Black Crown Initiate are the other band that I mentioned in a previous post about being a great blend of progressive and death metal. I like these guys even more than Anciients and I can thank WebRaider for this as he sent Belie the Machine in my roulette. Whereas Anciients have more in common with a band like Opeth to me Black Crown Initiate sound similar to Gojira (especially with the harsh vocals). To be fair though I think this gives most of Gojira’s albums a good run for their money, it’s really that good.

They have the heaviness but they also know how to use clean vocals and add plenty of melody. They don’t just go for the relentless, in your face, onslaught and that appeals to me. There are also some really funky bass lines on this album that really make me sit up and take notice. Black Crown Initiate really nail that contrast with this album and I love it. The heavy sections and the melodic sections all flow in a way that can’t be anything other than pure craftsmanship. I really need to listen to this more actually because as I’m listening now I’m questioning whether I ranked this too low. There are some great songs on this album but the one I love the most is Belie the Machine. It scored really well in my recent roulette and it made me want to check out the album. It’s a perfect place to start if you’ve never listened to this band before. It’s probably the most Gojira-esque song out of the bunch (including those signature guitar squeals).

I do also have the debut by these guys and although I've listened through about 3-4 times it hasn't grabbed me like their latest. This is a more refined beast. Anyone who is into their extreme/technical/progressive metal bands will be well at home here.

Favourite songs: Belie the Machine, For Red Cloud