Author Topic: When I first got into DT......  (Read 8858 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: When I first got into DT......
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2017, 08:16:51 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2017, 08:32:09 AM »
after being obsessed with Styx my whole life
Never read these words in this sequence before, ever.

Hey, you back off of Styx Bub. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2017, 10:11:27 AM »
Hey, I'm not attacking Styx, or anyone else.  Just never heard of anyone being obsessed with them, that's all.

I like Styx a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2017, 10:15:51 AM »
Some people like Styx.  Some people do not.  Nobody likes Styx a lot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »

"Styx was one of the greatest American rock bands, and they only a bad wrap because most critics are cynical assholes."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2017, 10:26:07 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2017, 10:27:50 AM »

Babe I'm leaving
I must be on my way
The time is drawing near
My train is going
I see it in your eyes
The love, the need, your tears
But I'll be lonely without you
And I'll need your love to see me through
So please believe me
My heart is in your hands
And I'll be missing you

'Cause you know it's you babe
Whenever I get weary
And I've had enough
Feel like giving up
You know it's you babe
Giving me the courage
And the strength I need
Please believe that it's true
Babe, I love you

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2017, 10:29:36 AM »
The three album run of Pieces Of Eight-The Grand Illusion-Paradise Theater is amazing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2017, 10:39:39 AM »
The three album run of Pieces Of Eight-The Grand Illusion-Paradise Theater is amazing!

While you are right, Tim, in that all of these albums are amazing, the run actually includes Cornerstone.

The Grand Illusion (1977)
Pieces of Eight (1978)
Cornerstone (1979)
Paradise Theatre (1980)

And, really, you could include Equinox (1975) and Crystal Ball (1976) in that group as well. Styx had an amazing run of album from 75-80.

I am also obsessed with Styx.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2017, 10:45:40 AM »
Don't know why I thought Cornerstone was earlier...

Total respect for Styx here.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2017, 12:46:39 PM »
What can I do?
Pictures of you still make me cry
Trying to live without your love
It's so hard to do
Some nights I wake up
I look at your pillow
Hoping that I'll see you there
But I get up each day
Not much to say
I've nowhere to go
Loneliness fills me up inside
Cause I'm missing you
So if you'll give us a chance to remember
The love we had once together
Wait and See
Time is all that we really need
I'm praying you won't say no
I mean to tell you

Don't let it end
Baby, we could have so much more
Don't let it end
Honey please don't walk out that door

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »
More....more......more.......more.....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »
STYX IS THE BOMMMBB

If you like Dream Theater you should listen to the Styx albums Serpent is Rising and Cyclorama, they're freaking amazing. Then Pieces of Eight and Paradise Theater.

Styx music is like if Flying Colors wrote in hundred different styles over 3 decades, except they're even better live than on the record (especially the last 17 years).

You CANNOT beat Styx: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHNNG50tZp8

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2017, 10:31:26 PM »
What can I do?
Pictures of you still make me cry
Trying to live without your love
It's so hard to do
Some nights I wake up
I look at your pillow
Hoping that I'll see you there
But I get up each day
Not much to say
I've nowhere to go
Loneliness fills me up inside
Cause I'm missing you
So if you'll give us a chance to remember
The love we had once together
Wait and See
Time is all that we really need
I'm praying you won't say no
I mean to tell you

Don't let it end
Baby, we could have so much more
Don't let it end
Honey please don't walk out that door

Do mr Roboto next. Thanks Casey.

Offline wrighty

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2017, 04:21:10 PM »
I remember reading on another forum, years ago, that 'Dream Theater are the best band' - I think it was a thread about Rush.

Next, I bought 'Score' when idly browsing in a record shop.  Played it a bit, mainly the first disc, and loved 'The Spirit Carries On'.  Didn't do much else with them, apart from buying 'Greatest Hit'.

Then last year, while idly looking on Amazon (with I think a gift voucher to spend) I came across 'The Astonishing' and bought it.  Loved it.  Didn't stop playing it.  Took two plane flights to see it live, did the VIP meet and greet thing and was then hooked.  Over the last year I've listened to nothing else, and have bought their entire back catalogue (studio recordings anyway).  I listen to them virtually every day, either in the car, or in the gym.  Scenes is my favourite - if I had to listen to one album for the rest of my life that would be it.  More recently I have really gotten into ADTOE. 

I now tell everyone about them.  I took my two oldest kids to see the I&W25 show last week.  I'm right now wearing the T-shirt!

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2017, 08:06:58 PM »

Wrong statement. Just like saying nobody likes Journey a lot. Of course many people do.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2017, 08:14:32 PM »

While you are right, Tim, in that all of these albums are amazing, the run actually includes Cornerstone.

Pieces of Eight (1978)
Cornerstone (1979)
Paradise Theatre (1980)

And, really, you could include Equinox (1975) and Crystal Ball (1976) in that group as well. Styx had an amazing run of album from 75-80.

Man did I love those guys. Great vocals, harmonies, perfect catchy choruses. From 75 to 81, they made 6 albums easily very good to great. THEY are the reason I learned to play guitar.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2017, 12:14:46 AM »
Can this just become the second Styx thread?  :lol

When I first got into DT they were the first and only band in 10 years to match Styx. Never, until I heard DT, had a band tied Styx for first place. The next closest thing would have been select songs by Queen, but not a catalog.

Pieces of Eight (1978)
Cornerstone (1979)
Paradise Theatre (1980)

Man did I love those guys. Great vocals, harmonies, perfect catchy choruses. From 75 to 81, they made 6 albums easily very good to great. THEY are the reason I learned to play guitar.

That's awesome, man! They made a huge impact on the musician (and overall person :D) I became as well. Can't go wrong with Equinox through Paradise Theatre.... Or Serpent is Rising and Cyclorama  :biggrin:

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »

Please god no.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2017, 09:51:17 AM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »

Please god no.

#DealWithIt :hat
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2017, 12:02:38 PM »
Fun fact: I had my first girlfriend when I was 16 and I only liked her because her favorite band was Styx, so people would ask me "You have a girlfriend??" and I'd answer with "YES AND SHE LIKES STYX!!!" and people always thought I was saying something else

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2017, 02:44:56 PM »
Clearly, you haven't run across the woman who was driving in this car next to me a few weeks ago.  This has not been photoshop'd.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2017, 07:59:17 AM »
Wow.  That's actually pretty cool.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2017, 11:46:36 AM »
There was stuff on the side and front, too.  I'd never seen anything like it.  I was driving next to this car a few days after reading the "never read these words in this sequence before, ever" comment.  Luckily, she was going to the exact same shopping area I was.  When I was leaving, I took a drive-by picture to post in response.  It took me this long to re-find the thread.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2017, 12:11:02 PM »
:lol  That is true commitment to DTF.  Hats off to you, sir!

Judging from the www.styxworld.com sticker on her window, it looks like she runs either their official site or a fan site.  I should contact her, admin to admin, and let her know her work is appreciated here at DTF.  :)

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2017, 02:56:06 AM »
At the time (about 2012) I was looking for new bands to get into.  Megadeth was my favorite band and I was a huge fan of Metallica, Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin especially.  But I wanted to find that new band to obsess over.  Dream Theater was a band that I had heard of from my dad and from a few other people, and I decided to check them out.  I checked out Images and Words because it was said to be their most popular.  At first I wasn't feeling it too much.  I thought it was alright, but a bit too "Rush-like".  Not that I hated Rush, I actually quite like them...but Rush was never a band that made me go "oh shit this band is amazing" like the others have.  Anyway, I thought it was interesting enough so I decided to check out another album.  I saw Systematic Chaos at a store and I picked it up.  Now, being a metal fan, this album hit me a lot more than Images and Words did, and I started to like them a bit more.  After that I bought Octavarium and I liked them EVEN MORE.  I can't remember the order after that, but it was definitely a band that took me a really long time to fully appreciate.  I hated Awake the first time I heard it, now it's one of my favorites by them.  Dramatic Turn of Events was "meh" to me at first, now I love it.  It's one of those bands you really have to invest a lot of time into.  Now they're my second favorite band of all time...sorry, nothing will ever replace Megadeth for me.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2017, 09:19:50 AM »
Thinking of going to see Styx and REO June 21.  Knowing my luck, I'll purchase tix for this show then Dream Theater will announce North American tour dates. DT is more of a priority so I'm still waiting.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2017, 02:28:16 PM »
It's one of those bands you really have to invest a lot of time into. 

Totally agree. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2017, 02:55:14 PM »
I was going to comment something related to the thread title but seeing this has become the second Styx thread I'm gonna say Styx has some nice tunes, never been much into them but once in a while I'll pop one of their albums.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2017, 03:21:50 PM »
I had no initial dislike for DT.  Listening to I&W for the first time, JP's amazing guitar playing was the immediate draw.  James' voice was obviously the quintessential, high pitched 80's hair metal style and the song arrangements were amazingly complex and diverse.  I learned the truth immediately.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2017, 06:54:56 PM »
(I saw the above car when 'The Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight' tour visited Baltimore...)

But I digress.  Went to the Pier Six Pavilion for the first time after moving here to see Queensryche in '03.  Never heard of DT.  And, of course was surprised when Qryche came on first.  Went out the next day and fell in love with disc 2 of 'Six Degrees', bought I&W and 'Awake' about two months later.  My next purchase was 8vm its first week out, and then finally got my hand on 'Scenes'.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2017, 02:18:11 PM »
Clearly, you haven't run across the woman who was driving in this car next to me a few weeks ago.  This has not been photoshop'd.

Which mall is that? Looks familiar.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2017, 07:59:50 PM »
wait, who turned my innocent thread into a Styx love fest?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2017, 08:57:14 AM »