Author Topic: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (I wanna hear you scream)  (Read 18027 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (Pictures of Lily?)
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 07:26:17 AM »
Obviously I have mad love for Mogg and he has this wonderful charm in his voice. A warmth.
Plus lyrically, Mogg is amazing.

Okay, you can keep the fucking ring!  :biggrin:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 07:38:27 AM »
Brent, your post is competent, but that's about it.  :-*

What can I say,
Mogg is special to me. His is the voice of my life's soundtrack. But I maintain he is way underrated across the board.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »
Brent, your post is competent, but that's about it.  :-*

What can I say,
Mogg is special to me. His is the voice of my life's soundtrack. But I maintain he is way underrated across the board.

;D

I can relate to that.  I grew up in the same way with Ozzy and I can understand people giving me a WTF about his vocals.  Although I don't think anyone could say Ozzy's sound isn't unique :lol

I don't have a huge number of albums with Mogg on - maybe half a dozen - and I haven't spent a great deal of time with them but I have never really connected with him or found anything special that draws me to his sound.   I enjoy him when he's singing a good song but that generally is more about the song than his performance.  I have really only bothered with UFO in recent years (you and Paul likely gave me a nudge) - they were total unknowns here.  If I had grown up with them it may be a different story I suppose.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 07:50:08 AM »
Recent UFO is the worst UFO. I am on record as saying the Vinnie Moore era has been a huge disappointment. They are really now just a (slightly) heavier Rolling Stones. Their last two albums have been pretty weak. Lyrically, it's been some of Mogg's most insane though.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 08:00:27 AM »
Those who have seen me do these kind of threads before know the deal. Every day (roughly), I will feature a pop or rock (or metal) singer that we can discuss.

As always, please let me do the featuring, that way it's not a free-for-all, and we can keep the focus on one singer at a time.

Here we go...

Ann Wilson

And no one even mentioned her finest moment:   "Wait For An Answer" off of Bad Animals.  That ending - "Look at me now... look at me now... Where are you, how are you? I wait for an answer!" gives me chills to this day, and I've heard it easily hundreds of time.  I love this woman.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 08:04:07 AM »
Roger Daltrey:   Love Reign O'er Me.     Unbelievable.   Many have tried, some have even come close (Eddie Vedder) but that song is his and his alone.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 08:06:32 AM »
John Bush did a great job with it on the last Redemption album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (He's gonna rock with you)
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 08:06:44 PM »
Michael Jackson

With all of his success, it seems like Jackson's ability as a singer was forgotten at times, because he was such an amazing dancer and entertainer....but the guy could sing his ass off.  And it's a credit that his singing seemed so effortless and easy, like he could just open his mouth and out it came in such a natural way. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (He's gonna rock with you!)
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2017, 08:11:18 PM »
The man had his own style that everybody knew who it was.  Pure genius with demons.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 08:13:48 PM »
Who?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2017, 08:19:30 PM »
Who?

Daltrey was yesterday, jackass.  :biggrin:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2017, 10:24:32 PM »
I said in this, probably not very articulately, in another thread, but I never liked all MJ's non-word vocal sounds. I don't know anything about music so never know what to call them. I know that was his style, but it was always a turn off to me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2017, 05:44:01 AM »
Who?

Daltrey was yesterday, jackass.  :biggrin:

Well played.

Until MJ became a caricature of himself, he was the Freddie Mercury of Pop.  He absolutely earned the "King of Pop" title based on his 80s.  Then, it went all down hill.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 07:24:47 AM »
Even though I'm a metalhead at heart, I love MJ.  I took guitar lessons for about six months, and the first song the guy wanted to teach me was "Rock With Me".   I kick myself to this day for not paying more attention.

"Don't Stop Till You Get Enough".   

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2017, 08:42:16 AM »
:smoothcriminal:

:billiejean:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2017, 08:44:39 AM »
Wow, digging deep today, Chad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2017, 05:31:40 PM »
Until MJ became a caricature of himself, he was the Freddie Mercury of Pop.  He absolutely earned the "King of Pop" title based on his 80s.  Then, it went all down hill.

Yep.  I've said it many times, unless you were alive and old enough to have a clue what was going on, you just cannot understand how powerful the Michael Jackson phenomenon was in 1982 and 1983.  I imagine it was similar to when the Beatles came to America in the 60s. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2017, 05:42:57 PM »
It was an amazing time, for sure. It just all turned out so sad.

Ill leave it to Podaar to address the Beatles experience. ;D

Offline bundy

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2017, 10:28:06 PM »

Yep.  I've said it many times, unless you were alive and old enough to have a clue what was going on, you just cannot understand how powerful the Michael Jackson phenomenon was in 1982 and 1983.  I imagine it was similar to when the Beatles came to America in the 60s.

Agreed. Like the Beatles and Elvis before him, he rally transcended music and entertainment. If I was asked to name one figure that defined the 80s, it would probably be MJ. While I've never been a big fan, I certainly appreciate the guy's talent. My favourite MJ stuff would probably be what he did with his brothers in the Jackson 5. Lets also not forget that in his own way he was arguably (apologies to any Shirley Temple fans here  ;)the greatest child prodigy in the entertainment field of the 20th century. The dance moves he could pull off as a little kid were extraordinary.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2017, 06:09:33 AM »
Well said, bundy.  :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (And in the end...)
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2017, 06:14:50 AM »
Paul McCartney

The greatness of Sir Paul McCartney, as both a singe and a songwriter, pretty much goes without saying.  He had the warmest voice of any of the Beatles, although he could still crush you with grit like in Oh! Darling.  A song as simple and understated as Yesterday wouldn't have worked without a singer as good as McCartney. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2017, 08:43:15 AM »
Yeah, it's hard not to love Sir Paul's vocals. His Beatles output is great but for me he really took off with Wings. Band On The Run, Jet, Live and Let Die, the entire album of Venus and Mars. All great stuff!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2017, 08:50:01 AM »
I saw him in Philly in 2010 at the Wells Fargo Center.    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/2010/wells-fargo-center-philadelphia-pa-13d5a119.html

38 songs, over three hours.    I was standing on the floor, towards the back, and the 35th song - not a mistake; THIRTY FIFTH - was "Yesterday", a song I sang to my daughter each night before bed.    It was him and a guitar and it was note perfect.  I stood there with tears running down my face, and I turned to the woman beside me (I was by myself) and she looked at me... with tears running down her face.   By just his voice, he had 20,000 people in the palm of his hand (this after performing probably 10 of the most well known songs in the rock and roll catalogue, including Let it Be, A Day In The Life, Hey Jude, and Something).    And then...  he proceeds to nail the SHIT out of "Helter Skelter", as if he was 26 again (when he recorded the version we know from The White Album).

He's 74 now, but I hope he does one more, because my kid needs to see that at least once.  My vote for greatest living rock musician at this point. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2017, 09:04:59 AM »
Sorry for regressing a bit, but how was it that Daltrey was a frontman? Townshend was the frontman, no question. Even Moon when he was alive interacted with the crowd more than Daltrey. Personally, I liked RD's stage persona, with the 1000 yard stare and whatnot, but he was a background player.

Also, I saw Phil Mogg last weekend and he put on a fine show. And I agree with Tim about Vinnie Moore. He's a good player but I don't like him in that role.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2017, 09:08:52 AM »
Oh, love Wilson and Daltrey. Hate Jackson, though respect his talents. Always thought the Beatles were overrated, both as a group and individually, though I still enjoy some of their music. There was a narrow window around Revolver where they were between their early pop and latter psychedelic phase and blended the two nicely.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »
Also, I saw Phil Mogg last weekend and he put on a fine show. And I agree with Tim about Vinnie Moore. He's a good player but I don't like him in that role.
He'll be 69 next month!

I'm not into the Beatles in any way, but I haven't really heard a Wings song that I didn't at least enjoy.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2017, 04:30:00 PM »
He'll be 69 next

I'm not into the Beatles in any way, but I haven't really heard a Wings song that I didn't at least enjoy.

Vinnie Moore is my favourite guitarist but I know what you mean. The problem is, I expect to hear Schenker on the classic UFO songs so nothing else will sound right.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:29:47 PM by Lowdz »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2017, 04:37:35 PM »
Lowdz, please fix the quote so I may respond properly. ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2017, 05:29:02 PM »

38 songs, over three hours.    I was standing on the floor, towards the back, and the 35th song - not a mistake; THIRTY FIFTH - was "Yesterday", a song I sang to my daughter each night before bed.    It was him and a guitar and it was note perfect.  I stood there with tears running down my face, and I turned to the woman beside me (I was by myself) and she looked at me... with tears running down her face.   By just his voice, he had 20,000 people in the palm of his hand (this after performing probably 10 of the most well known songs in the rock and roll catalogue, including Let it Be, A Day In The Life, Hey Jude, and Something).    And then...  he proceeds to nail the SHIT out of "Helter Skelter", as if he was 26 again (when he recorded the version we know from The White Album).

Great story! :tup :tup

I will forever kick myself for not going to see him in '92 or '93 (cannot remember which year it was he toured).  My parents got four free tickets and offered the other two to me and my buddy Matt, but we were already intent on going out that night to drink. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Sorry for regressing a bit, but how was it that Daltrey was a frontman? Townshend was the frontman, no question. Even Moon when he was alive interacted with the crowd more than Daltrey. Personally, I liked RD's stage persona, with the 1000 yard stare and whatnot, but he was a background player.

I don't think a band is only allowed one frontman persona.  It is easy to argue that three of the four members of the Who were frontmen, while Entwistle was the calm one on stage, playing and staying still as the other three caused mayhem.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2017, 05:30:18 PM »
Lowdz, please fix the quote so I may respond properly. ;D

Done. Sorry mate.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2017, 06:06:58 PM »
He'll be 69 next

Vinnie Moore is my favourite guitarist but I know what you mean. The problem is, I expect to hear Schenker on the classic UFO songs so nothing else will sound right.
Yeah, and iconic ones, at that. I wouldn't demand that he recreate all the solos perfectly, but the outro solo to Lights Out is a gold standard moment in classic rock. Hearing Vinnie play something completely different is jarring as hell. And while I'm not enough of a UFO fan to know all of the guitar parts, that jarring thing occurred a lot. He just doesn't seem right. Despite almost certainly being the most talented one in the band, I though he was the week link.

I don't think a band is only allowed one frontman persona.  It is easy to argue that three of the four members of the Who were frontmen, while Entwistle was the calm one on stage, playing and staying still as the other three caused mayhem.
I absolutely agree with the premise. The thing is that the four or five times I've seen The Who, my recollection of Roger is always him staring through the back wall into the parking lot while Pete entertains the crowd. He seldom calls much attention to himself singing, and between songs he's a statue.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2017, 06:11:28 PM »

It's not even hearing him on the classics, it's the Moore era output that is extremely lacking.

Plus, they have had the most stagnant setlists during this time period. Pick 3 classics that you MUST play but then rotate out the rest.

Yeah, and iconic ones, at that. I wouldn't demand that he recreate all the solos perfectly, but the outro solo to Lights Out is a gold standard moment in classic rock. Hearing Vinnie play something completely different is jarring as hell. And while I'm not enough of a UFO fan to know all of the guitar parts, that jarring thing occurred a lot. He just doesn't seem right. Despite almost certainly being the most talented one in the band, I though he was the week link.

I don't know what the problem is either. I thought he would inject a ton of life into the band, and it seems the life has been sapped out. They've gotten worse on each of the 5 albums he's done with them.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2017, 06:17:19 PM »
Not sure how a thread featuring Ann Wilson, Roger Daltrey, Michael Jackson, and Paul McCartney has a concurrent UFO thread running through it. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2017, 06:42:59 PM »
I know why...... :lol

I tend to grab for Paul McCartney solo more than the other 3 members of the Beatles solo material.