Author Topic: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (I wanna hear you scream)  (Read 18144 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (All my friends are brown and red)
« Reply #315 on: April 19, 2017, 02:09:42 PM »
Can't stand him. Never could. He even ruined a song on Alice's Last Temptation album.

As an aside, is it just me, or is putting Pearl Jam in the RnRHOF first ballot while Soundgarden stands by watching a bit of a crime?  I know, I know, Eddie Vedder, but c'mon. 

The RNRHOF is a joke, and would continue to be by putting Soundgarden in.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #316 on: April 19, 2017, 02:12:41 PM »
Huge Cornell and Soundgarden fan. Hands All Over was the song that sold me.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #317 on: April 19, 2017, 02:15:49 PM »
As an aside, is it just me, or is putting Pearl Jam in the RnRHOF first ballot while Soundgarden stands by watching a bit of a crime?  I know, I know, Eddie Vedder, but c'mon.
Soundgarden definitely had success and is a great band.  But, as far as 90's Grunge/Rock goes, if you weren't talking about Cobain, you were talking about Vedder.  Cornell and Co. definitely took a back seat.

More importantly...
Is it just me, or is putting Pearl Jam in the RnRHOF first ballot while [Deep Purple/ Iron Maiden/ Judas Priest/ Whoever Else You Can Think Of] stands by watching a bit of a crime?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: April 19, 2017, 05:06:57 PM »
Can't stand him. Never could. He even ruined a song on Alice's Last Temptation album.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (Spoke in...)
« Reply #319 on: April 19, 2017, 06:35:59 PM »
Since the convo is going that way, let's get him out of the way...

Eddie Vedder

I actively dislike his voice.  It is the main reason I do not like Pearl Jam.  12,008 songs in my iTunes currently, and not a single one by Pearl Jam...because of his voice.  Just not a fan.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: April 19, 2017, 06:38:54 PM »
I actively dislike his voice.  It is the main reason I do not like Pearl Jam.  12,008 songs in my iTunes currently, and not a single one by Pearl Jam...because of his voice.  Just not a fan.

+1

Even Flow makes me want to clear my throat of phlegm..
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: April 19, 2017, 06:49:36 PM »
Ditto the above

https://youtu.be/jj8FIUGLgDM

Every time I hear Vedder I think of Hootie and the Blowfish.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: April 19, 2017, 11:13:01 PM »
Vedder is pretty much revered around here. I said earlier I never got in to grunge, and the grunge vocal style, while not being the primary turn-off, didn't help any.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #323 on: April 19, 2017, 11:58:22 PM »
I liked his voice in one of Pearl Jam's track in their last album, Future Days.  Builds a nice light-hearted mood that suits well with that acoustic-like track.

As for Chris Cornell, I find myself wanting more and more to sing karaoke tracks from Soundgarden, especially Burden in my Hand.  I do think he deserves all the praise he gets as a vocalist.  His solo album, Higher Truth, was great.  Nothing groundbreaking.  Just Cornell playing well in the solo-songwriter role as he should be.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #324 on: April 20, 2017, 06:35:19 AM »

:rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: April 20, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »
The 80's Strikes Back

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #326 on: April 20, 2017, 06:55:32 AM »
Sorry guys, I liked Pearl Jam.  The only time I wasn't fond of their music was the few albums after Yield.  Too Neil Young influenced.  Their last 3 albums have been great.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Art

« Reply #327 on: April 20, 2017, 07:01:36 AM »
I like some Pearl Jam, and think Vedder is effective for their kind of music, but i'm not a big fan of his singing.

As for grunge singers, apart from CC, my favorites were Layne Staley, Mark Lanegan and Scott Weiland. CC and LS are the better ones, Lanegan has a distinct voice and grit (and the best solo career) and Weiland had that chamaleonic thing, he could sing in different styles and get away with it.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #328 on: April 20, 2017, 07:04:05 AM »
I like some Pearl Jam, and think Vedder is effective for their kind of music, but i'm not a big fan of his singing.

Well said, this is me.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #329 on: April 20, 2017, 07:12:54 AM »
I don't quite understand the hate for Vedder.  There are plenty of other singers who have vocal styles not to everyone's liking, some of which are revered on this site.  Perhaps it's more what he represents over his musical abilities.

Personally, Ten and Vs. were played ad nauseum by me my freshman and sophomore years in college when they came out.  At the time, it was something new and different from what I had been listening to.  He emotes more feeling in his voice than a lot of other singers.  His performance on Pearl Jam's MTV Unplugged is fantastic.  I love Ten, Vs. and Yield.  The rest of their catalog is spotty for me - some really good, others unlistenable.  I really like his Into The Wild material, too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #330 on: April 20, 2017, 08:44:44 AM »
As an aside, is it just me, or is putting Pearl Jam in the RnRHOF first ballot while Soundgarden stands by watching a bit of a crime?
No crime, makes perfect sense to me.

Nothing wrong with Vedder's voice, but nothing awesome about it either.  He's a band singer.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #331 on: April 20, 2017, 04:38:01 PM »
Even though I'm not into them, I have total respect for Pearl Jam.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #332 on: April 21, 2017, 06:29:49 AM »
Soundgarden definitely had success and is a great band.  But, as far as 90's Grunge/Rock goes, if you weren't talking about Cobain, you were talking about Vedder.  Cornell and Co. definitely took a back seat.

More importantly...
Is it just me, or is putting Pearl Jam in the RnRHOF first ballot while [Deep Purple/ Iron Maiden/ Judas Priest/ Whoever Else You Can Think Of] stands by watching a bit of a crime?

Of course it's a fucking crime, because most of those first-balloters - U2, REM, RHCP, Pearl Jam - besides being politically correct in the literal sense of the term (anyone that doesn't think that "at least moderate adherence to the radical Liberal politics of Jann Wenner" isn't a criteria for admittance isn't paying attention) would, if being honest, absolutely say that "we wouldn't even BE there if it wasn't for Deep Purple/Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/Whoever Else You Can Think Of".   Yes, even REM; when my friend saw them in New Haven on the Murmur tour - might have been Reckoning, but still "pre-Man On The Moon Epic Success" - Peter Buck was not ironically wearing an Iron Maiden t-shirt. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: April 21, 2017, 06:40:23 AM »
I don't quite understand the hate for Vedder.  There are plenty of other singers who have vocal styles not to everyone's liking, some of which are revered on this site.  Perhaps it's more what he represents over his musical abilities.

Personally, Ten and Vs. were played ad nauseum by me my freshman and sophomore years in college when they came out.  At the time, it was something new and different from what I had been listening to.  He emotes more feeling in his voice than a lot of other singers.  His performance on Pearl Jam's MTV Unplugged is fantastic.  I love Ten, Vs. and Yield.  The rest of their catalog is spotty for me - some really good, others unlistenable.  I really like his Into The Wild material, too.

Ten is a legendary record, by almost any standard.    LEGENDARY.  I think the key to Pearl Jam is something Stone Gossard said in the "20" documentary.   He and Ament had been together since '84, starting with Green River, and they always wanted something more.   They didn't want to be a niche regional band, they wanted to be rock stars, even if it was "rock star with a conscience".  They hooked up with Andrew Wood to further that goal.  Stone did a lot of the songwriting, and Jeff did a lot of the "other stuff" (it's not a coincidence that the art styles of the MLB releases, the Tempe of the Dog releases, and the first Pearl Jam record were similar; that's Jeff Ament).   Even "10" was largely all written (musically) prior to Ed joining.  Pearl Jam was CLEARLY the Stone and Jeff show, with Ed singing.   Then they exploded, and around... Vitology (might have been later than that) the dynamic changed, and Stone/Jeff had a choice:  we either fight for 'our band' and see where it goes (including having to likely find a new singer) or we let this become Ed's band and we go along for the ride.   I think you can guess where the choice went.   

I love his singing, I don't really like HIM.   I think he's a little too far up his own ass if you ask me.   I've seen Pearl Jam three times, all very good, and certainly as an early DT fan, there are a lot of similarities (no two setlists alike, the ability to play almost anything at any time, long epic shows with well-thought out setlists) but there's an air of "church" to them and not in a good way.  It seems like every show is at some point a platform for Ed to spew his personal beliefs and not in an inclusive, tolerant way (unless you're with him).   I think that's why I loved the Temple of the Dog show so much; it was Pearl Jam without Ed and with Chris, and it was so... FREE.  Where else are you going to hear "Temple", "Mother Love Bone", "Bowie", "Black Sabbath" (and War Pigs at that), "Harry Nilsson", and "Led Zeppelin" (and Achilles Last Stand at that), all followed by a quiet, solo acoustic performance of "Seasons" by Chris.    It was FUN in a way that Pearl Jam isn't. 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #334 on: April 21, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »
I can totally see what you're saying.  Thankfully, I've only seen them once and stopped paying attention to Ed a long time ago (somewhere around Ticketmaster battle).  So, I only have the albums to go off of.  But, even with the Ed "sermons" onstage, they've done some epic shows.  I have a show they did in Philly (the last concert at the Spectrum) in 2009.  They played for about 3.5 hours that included Devo's "Whip It" and MLB's "Crown Of Thorns" and ended with red, white and blue confetti being dumped on the arena.  Pretty cool.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (Those summer nights are callin')
« Reply #335 on: April 22, 2017, 07:55:36 AM »
Steve Perry

Perry was obviously a fantastic singer in his day, although I never quite connected with it on the level that many others did.  That isn't to say that I don't like a lot of songs he sings, because I do.  While they obviously wrote some iconic songs back in the day, I think it is easy to argue that Journey never comes close to the status they got without Perry.  I cannot imagine any other singer making songs like Who's Crying Now, Separate Ways or Don't Stop Believin' as great as they are.  And as schmaltzy as it is, Foolish Heart, from his solo career, is not a song many rock singers could successfully pull off.  Perry, despite his ego, is a guy who earned his status as one of rock's great singers.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: April 22, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
I was okay with him on Infinity. After that, I progressively became irritated with his voice until my attitude was thoroughly in line with Matt and Trey's (see also, BASEketball).

Offline bundy

« Reply #337 on: April 23, 2017, 01:33:28 AM »
Perry was terrific. His voice was almost perfect for the kind of AOR that Journey were doing. His work on Wheel in the Sky is  :hefdaddy for my ears.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #338 on: April 23, 2017, 10:32:19 AM »
Perry was terrific. His voice was almost perfect for the kind of AOR that Journey were doing. His work on Wheel in the Sky is  :hefdaddy for my ears.

Amen, brother.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #339 on: April 23, 2017, 11:23:35 AM »
My distant cousin.

His voice is one of the most recognizable in all of music. That power he put out was intense and I still enjoy listening to Journey every now and then. For me, AOR begins and ends with them. Half of the other AOR groups are just bad journey knock-offs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #340 on: April 24, 2017, 12:59:53 PM »
Hail to the king, baby.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #341 on: May 05, 2017, 07:30:22 PM »
Apparently Kev's been listening to instrumentals the last couple of weeks...

Offline bundy

« Reply #342 on: May 06, 2017, 03:06:27 AM »
Apparently Kev's been listening to instrumentals the last couple of weeks...

I've been thinking the same thing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (I wanna hear you scream)
« Reply #343 on: May 06, 2017, 05:01:36 AM »
And........we're back.

Axl Rose

Rose was almost much more of a miss for me than a hit, when it came to singing, but he does have some good moments.  I always thought Patience was a really good song, and he gives a very nice vocal in that one.  I get that he can "this many" octaves and all that jazz, but he has that screechiness to his voice that often is like nails on the chalkboard.  Take the end of November Rain, where he wails over Slash's solo, severely lessening the climatic ending of what was otherwise a really good tune.  I always tend to laugh a bit when someone says this guy is one of rock's best singers ever, but I won't deny that his vocal style was a perfect fit for GNR's original style of L.A. hard rock.

Offline bundy

« Reply #344 on: May 06, 2017, 06:44:54 AM »
And........we're back.

Axl Rose

Rose was almost much more of a miss for me than a hit, when it came to singing, but he does have some good moments.

Pretty much this, although for me his good moments are very few and far between. Patience, One in a Million, Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle. I'll admit he's probably one of the great frontmen of his era, but that whine of his and low stuff he does makes, a lot of Guns 'n' Roses almost unlistenable for me. November Rain which to me is G'nR trying to do a Jim Steinman epic, has the potential to be an absolute classic, but is for me almost unlistenable in some parts due to his whining and as for their cover of Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door...don't get me started - without doubt the worst cover of a classic by a big name band that I can think of.

As I said, excellent entertainer and front man, but as far as a vocalist, I think I'd sooner listen to most metal growlers that his whining voice. I cannot think of another band where the vocalist spoils it for me more than G'nR.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #345 on: May 07, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »
   Take the end of November Rain, where he wails over Slash's solo, severely lessening the climatic ending of what was otherwise a really good tune. 

In Slash's book, he talks about how Axl took the Illusion tapes and after one night in the studio, added all sorts of stuff to it. Slash was upset, because he thought it did exactly what you mentioned.
For some reason, Axl's voice on those albums had not aged well. But Damn, Appetite is still such a timeless album.

Saw them 6 times between '87-'93, including a great Appetite club show.

I kind of ignored these recent reunion shows, but I'd be interested if the Axl/Slash/Duff lineup made an album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: May 08, 2017, 10:49:37 AM »
and as for their cover of Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door...don't get me started - without doubt the worst cover of a classic by a big name band that I can think of.

As I said, excellent entertainer and front man, but as far as a vocalist, I think I'd sooner listen to most metal growlers that his whining voice. I cannot think of another band where the vocalist spoils it for me more than G'nR.

But to his credit, it's hard to hear that song now without throwing in the "ow-oo-our" at the end of "door"; he made it his own.  What ruins that song for me is the "rank subjugation, Jack!" dialogue dropped in the middle.

I saw the "Club Tour" after the release of Chinese Democracy.   Thousand seat club in Philly (The Electric Factory) and he SLAYED.   Really, really good.  Started at 11, and I left about 2:15, they were still playing.   He was on stage for the entire time except for during Dizzy Reed's piano spot, so he put in the work, and his voice held up the entire time.  I was really impressed.   If you don't like the sound/tone of his voice, it was what it was (I don't mind it myself), but in terms of performance, unbelievable. 

As for "November Rain", I have a bootleg of two demos of that song back when they were recording Appetite, one on piano, and one on guitar, and it's such a haunting song.  I knew then it would be epic, and it is, but the released version sort of lacks the immediacy of the demos. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #347 on: May 08, 2017, 06:47:59 PM »
I am officially sticking a fork in this thread.  Too bad for the many singers who I would have featured, but doing a daily write-up for only a few replies isn't worth it.  Thanks to those who did participate on a regular basis!  :tup :tup

And for some of the greats who weren't featured...

etc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #348 on: May 08, 2017, 07:25:18 PM »
Not to mention these guys:

...and of course, the man that almost singlehandedly hijacked the early part of this thread: