Author Topic: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (I wanna hear you scream)  (Read 18036 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (I wanna hear you scream)
« on: March 18, 2017, 07:57:32 AM »
Those who have seen me do these kind of threads before know the deal. Every day (roughly), I will feature a pop or rock (or metal) singer that we can discuss.

As always, please let me do the featuring, that way it's not a free-for-all, and we can keep the focus on one singer at a time.

Here we go...

Ann Wilson

The longtime singer from Heart still has countless moments that can give me goosebumps even though I've heard them many, many times.  The last note in Dream of the Archer is just absurd, the rocking section of Mistral Wind is amazing, and pretty much the entire Dreamboat Annie record is a vocal tour de force. And unlike a lot of popular singers from the 70s, her voice has aged really well.  Great voice, phenomenal singer.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 05:01:50 AM by KevShmev »

Offline T-ski

Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 08:23:28 AM »
Ann can belt it out with anyone.  One of the great voices in rock.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 08:54:01 AM »
While I'm not a fan of Heart's 80's output, I'll always pause what I'm doing to listen to Ann sing regardless of the song.

Good call on Dreamboat Annie. The first song I ever heard from Heart was Crazy On You, and I was just knocked over with the vocals (not to mention the song rocks). As I recall I was sitting in our front room writing a book report on Fahrenheit 451 and listening to the radio on my mother's Motorola console stereo--anyone remember those? I didn't really sit up and take notice until the first chorus kicked in and I was instantly hooked. The next time it came on, later that day, I went and grabbed my older brother to come a listen to it. He and I pooled our money and went to the record store that weekend and bought the album. We shared that album for a few years and then he lost interest. I just naturally inherited it.

I purchased Little Queen, Dog and Butterfly, and Magazine (1978) as they were released, but from then on I'd moved on to heavier music and stopped following Heart.

Still, like I said before, my love of the timber and power of Ann's voice has never wavered.

BTW, Heart has a great Christmas album. Her performance on that album is as great as anything she's ever done.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:25:04 AM »
She's the Freddie Mercury of female voices - arguably the best there is/was in the genre of rock.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 02:28:47 PM »
I have always enjoyed the Heart tracks on Classic radio, even as a kid, but just never felt the urge to buy a Heart album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 06:07:09 PM »
Heart in essence shot their load on their first album - no album I have heard them do since has come close to being as great and consistent as Dreamboat Annie - but Ann Wilson's vocals were always amazing no matter what.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 06:29:03 PM »
She is a powerhouse who can finesse and how all women should sing. I love her voice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bundy

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 02:52:05 AM »
She's the Freddie Mercury of female voices - arguably the best there is/was in the genre of rock.

+1 Can't think of a female rock vocalist off the top of my head who comes even close to her in terms of voice, longevity and quality of output.

I don't why, but here in Australia Heart along with Styx and Journey never enjoyed the huge success they did in the States. As far as AOR in the late 70s - 80s in Australia, Foreigner, Toto, Survivor and even Loverboy got much more airplay and had a much higher profile. Having said that Barracuda still gets played fairly regularly on a couple of my local FM radio stations.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 03:04:37 AM »
My experience bundy (as a fellow Aussie) is that Heart got a lot more airplay than Styx (I was into Tommy Shaw's Ambition before I even knew who Styx were) ........in fact I can't remember ever hearing Styx on commercial radio.     I would also have heard Heart far more than Loverboy - Working For The Weekend was big but that's about it. 

Heart had plenty of big hits out here during their commercial AOR era............Alone , These Dreams, All I Wanna Do.........etc..

Without my own digging I wouldn't know that they had other less commercial material.

As far as Kev's selection...... :tup   As far as female rock vocals go there really isn't much better.

EDIT - looks like Babe went Top 10 in Australia briefly in 1979 (when I was 5yo) and I do sorta remember that song on radio for a short while,. but the name Styx meant nothing to me until I got involved in AOR forums in the late 90's.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 03:12:00 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 07:28:56 AM »
Heart were huge in the 80s in the uk and I'd take the 80s/ early 90s output over the hippie, folkie Zep Ellis stuff of the 70s. The s/t, Bad Animals, Brigade and Desire Walks On (to a lesser extent) were great pop rock albums.
Ann is a great singer.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 08:35:24 AM »
the hippie, folkie Zep Ellis stuff of the 70s.

I get this reference. I snickered.

Then I  >:(

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 08:44:19 AM »
And not to be negative, but there cover of The Battle Of Evermore was obnoxious.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 09:12:04 AM »
Roger Daltrey

I don't think I've ever heard a Who song and thought the vocals stood out in a big way, but that is likely a testament to how good and consistent Daltrey was.  He always brought his "A" game, and while there are certainly plenty of better rock singers, his voice is one of the most unique and iconic ever.   His voice had a gritty and dirty element that was a perfect for the music that Pete Townshend always wrote. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 09:24:39 AM »
Yeah, I have total respect for Roger Daltrey. Unfortunately, I just don't totally connect with his voice, which is a shame, because I am well aware that I've missed out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 03:32:25 PM »
Yeah, I have total respect for Roger Daltrey. Unfortunately, I just don't totally connect with his voice, which is a shame, because I am well aware that I've missed out.

I am sorta the same way.  His scream near the end of Won't Get Fooled Again is often considered one of the most awesome moments in rock, but I've never thought that moment, or even that song, was that great.  I mean, it's a good song, but I can name at least 20 Who songs I like more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (Pictures of Lily?)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 03:34:39 PM »
So, you weren't fooled again? :D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 04:03:31 PM »

I am sorta the same way.  His scream near the end of Won't Get Fooled Again is often considered one of the most awesome moments in rock, but I've never thought that moment, or even that song, was that great.  I mean, it's a good song, but I can name at least 20 Who songs I like more.

:youfail:

Top 10 Classic Rock song of all time in my books.  Maybe top 5.

:lhk:

Daltrey was one of those voices that was just right for the band, and contributed to the fact that the whole was greater than the sum of the individual parts of each band member.  None were musicians I would consider Top 5 of their craft within the Classic Rock genre (maybe Moon), but The Who is definitely part of my 'big-5'
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 04:16:42 PM »
And not to be negative, but there cover of The Battle Of Evermore was obnoxious.

Man, Besides Great White I love Heart covering Led Zep.

I love the Who and while Roger is a very good singer, hit frontmanship is outstanding.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 05:58:22 PM »

Man, Besides Great White I love Heart covering Led Zep.

I love the Who and while Roger is a very good singer, hit frontmanship is outstanding.

Indeed.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 06:43:09 PM »
His dammit.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 07:17:51 PM »

I love their version of Battle Of Evermore. What is this malarkey, TAC?

Daltrey was one of those voices that was just right for the band, and contributed to the fact that the whole was greater than the sum of the individual parts of each band member.

Definitely! What they each brought to the band was so unique and special and made The Who as legendary as they ultimately became. And while he does have great stage presence as the singer, I think of Pete as the band's "Frontman.'
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 07:24:23 PM »
  None were musicians I would consider Top 5 of their craft within the Classic Rock genre (maybe Moon), but The Who is definitely part of my 'big-5'

Entwistle is not Top 5? He was amazing!

Moon is overrated IMO.

I love their version of Battle Of Evermore. What is this malarkey, TAC?
It hurts my ears and makes me dislike the original. ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 07:39:23 PM »
  None were musicians I would consider Top 5 of their craft within the Classic Rock genre (maybe Moon), but The Who is definitely part of my 'big-5'

Entwistle is not Top 5? He was amazing!

It's funny, as I hit 'post' I was thinking... 'ya know, I'm not sure I could think of 4 better bass players.  JPJ, Geddy, Steve Harris, Squire.

Ok, maybe I could  :lol.  I'll grant ya that Entwistle is a better bass player than Townsend was a guitar player.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »
Entwistle would be on my Mount Rushmore of bass players along with Geddy Lee, Chris Squire and Tony Levin.

And nice work, fellas, turning this thread about singers into a discussion on bass players. :lol :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 07:44:39 PM »
Entwistle would be on my Mount Rushmore of bass players along with Geddy Lee, Chris Squire and Tony Levin.

And nice work, fellas, turning this thread about singers into a discussion on bass players. :lol :lol

C'mon man... this isn't the first thread topic you've started that went off the rails.  Now&Zen turned into a Plant discography discussion pretty quick.   :lol

It's how we roll.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 07:46:28 PM »
 :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 07:56:05 PM »
I'm not complaining; just chuckling at the fact.

These threads are always more fun when they go off the rails a bit.  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 08:42:31 PM »
It's all good. Better this kind of discussion than getting crickets ... eh?

Offline bundy

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 04:33:19 AM »
My experience bundy (as a fellow Aussie) is that Heart got a lot more airplay than Styx (I was into Tommy Shaw's Ambition before I even knew who Styx were) ........in fact I can't remember ever hearing Styx on commercial radio.     I would also have heard Heart far more than Loverboy - Working For The Weekend was big but that's about it. 

Heart had plenty of big hits out here during their commercial AOR era............Alone , These Dreams, All I Wanna Do.........etc..

Without my own digging I wouldn't know that they had other less commercial material.

As far as Kev's selection...... :tup   As far as female rock vocals go there really isn't much better.

EDIT - looks like Babe went Top 10 in Australia briefly in 1979 (when I was 5yo) and I do sorta remember that song on radio for a short while,. but the name Styx meant nothing to me until I got involved in AOR forums in the late 90's.

Pretty much the same here. I was in high school from 76 - 80 and at uni through the early and mid 80s. Can never remember hearing a single Styx song played on the radio. I was aware of them due to cool album covers which I noticed during my frequent visits to record stores. I'm thinking particularly of The Grand Illusion, Paradise Theatre and Kilroy was here. At that time though I was far more interested in listening to metal and prog rather than AOR. As for Loverboy, have you forgotten Turn Me Loose? That was played ad nauseum on radio at the time. I think it's a pretty cool track now, but it annoyed the crap out of me back then.

Roger Daltry - One of the great front men of his era IMHO. I would place him in the same class as guys like Plant, Paul Rodgers, Ozzy, Gillan, Jim Morrisson, Ian Anderson and Jagger. Pretty decent vocalist as well.
"I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth.." :coolio

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 04:42:29 AM »
Yeah I did forget Turn Me Loose - didn't hear that anywhere as much as WFTW but I do remember it.    Maybe different radio stations :lol   And I was just starting primary school so my memories aren't that vivid.   At 6yo (1980) my listening was just whatever Dad was playing on the radio or from his record collection (mostly Chicago, Dire Straits , Doobies etc.........)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 04:49:37 AM »

So is spelling their like that.  :-*

Here is my three cents about her. She has a great voice, but it's not my cup of tea.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 05:10:27 AM »
Moon is overrated IMO.

:hug: :hifive:

I agree.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 07:17:01 AM »
Daltrey is a hard one to peg isn't he. As a front man he often played second or third with Townshend (that's the correct spelling, BTW) flailing his arms around and Moon barely able to stay in his chair because his couldn't quite decide what to hit next. He didn't have an inspiring voice but it was very colorful at times, adding a sort of working class Englishman texture to the music. Still, there are some songs that wouldn't sound right without him as evidenced by covers. Behind Blue Eyes, Who Are You?, Substitute, and yes, even Pinball Wizard (my apologies to Elton).

Do you feel the same about Phil Mogg? They sound nearly the same... Careful how you respond, you may need to relinquish your UFO fanboy decoder ring if you let me down.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2017, 07:21:49 AM »
I can totally see my post made by someone else and subbing Phil Mogg for Roger Daltrey.

Obviously I have mad love for Mogg and he has this wonderful charm in his voice. A warmth.
Plus lyrically, Mogg is amazing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 07:23:23 AM »
I can totally see my post made by someone else and subbing Phil Mogg for Roger Daltrey.

That had crossed my mind but I decided to be nice.  But seeing you raise it I think Mogg is competent and that's about it  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au