Author Topic: Mozart in the Jungle (Amazon)  (Read 313 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
Mozart in the Jungle (Amazon)
« on: March 15, 2017, 01:15:41 PM »
Anyone else watch this?

I just finished the series (to this point).  Three seasons.

I really liked it quite a bit, but I can definitely see it being a really niche thing that not too many people here would like.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nattmorker

Re: Mozart in the Jungle (Amazon)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 05:27:36 PM »
I've watched 2 and a half season so far, me and my wife really enjoy it. My wife is a classical trained musician (she's flutist) and she identifies herself with many of the situations depicted in the show, great show IMO.
"Es ist wahr, ein Mathematiker, der nicht etwas Poet ist, wird nimmer ein vollkommener Mathematiker sein."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 08:12:43 PM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 08:58:28 AM »
I just finished the series a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Nothing earth shattering but just a really fun, entertaining watch. The two things I felt the show did to its detriment were a) when you have a main storyline going on and the writers shoehorn two side characters in a completely banal subplot just to get them screentime and b) compounding on point A is when you have side characters get involved in really stupid romance subplots that nobody cares about but it's implied by the writers that you should be emotionally invested.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 05:33:42 AM »
I wasn't aware of the existance of this show, your mentions made me curious. Guess I'll try and watch it too, I saw the trailer and it looked something enjoyable!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 05:50:40 PM »
It's super enjoyable and sort of addicting. I'd find myself watching 5-6 episodes in a clip. Gael Garcia Bernal is just a joy to watch as Rodrigo.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 10:26:09 AM »
It's super enjoyable and sort of addicting. I'd find myself watching 5-6 episodes in a clip. Gael Garcia Bernal is just a joy to watch as Rodrigo.
Same. 

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 03:35:05 PM »

Totally! Besides I like the way he mixes words in spanish when he's talking.
"Es ist wahr, ein Mathematiker, der nicht etwas Poet ist, wird nimmer ein vollkommener Mathematiker sein."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 03:37:27 AM »
Started watching, the first episode already got me hooked. I will definitively see it all through and then catch up on the entire series!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 05:45:08 AM »
I just started watching this show(5 eps.in) and it is really good. Each episode is a perfect length to keep interesting. Man, I can't believe how good Bernadette looks at 69????Sheesh! Well, now I'm hooked on the show and can't wait to start digging into the rest of the seasons. :tup

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »
Finished the first season... very good! I've read comments on various review sites about many of the orchestra details are wrong or wildly implausible, but I guess that's the curse of being expert of any field discussed in a specific movie or series, so that didn't really bother me. The episodes always feel too short, they leave you wanting more!

Rodrigo is an hell of a character, he's completely hammered, the whole time, I can't remember if he ever says something acting and talking like a normal person   :D I really like him as a character, but as a "real" person in that fictional universe, I'm not so sure he would be that loved - sure, here and there he's shown doing things that endear him to the orchestra, but he's such a wild and unpredictable card that people would quickly be fed up with him. I think of him like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, wonderful characters to watch, but horrible to have around and deal with if they were real persons.