Author Topic: Mozart in the Jungle (Amazon)  (Read 1096 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Mozart in the Jungle (Amazon)
« on: March 15, 2017, 01:15:41 PM »
Anyone else watch this?

I just finished the series (to this point).  Three seasons.

I really liked it quite a bit, but I can definitely see it being a really niche thing that not too many people here would like.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nattmorker

Re: Mozart in the Jungle (Amazon)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 05:27:36 PM »
I've watched 2 and a half season so far, me and my wife really enjoy it. My wife is a classical trained musician (she's flutist) and she identifies herself with many of the situations depicted in the show, great show IMO.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 08:12:43 PM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 08:58:28 AM »
I just finished the series a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Nothing earth shattering but just a really fun, entertaining watch. The two things I felt the show did to its detriment were a) when you have a main storyline going on and the writers shoehorn two side characters in a completely banal subplot just to get them screentime and b) compounding on point A is when you have side characters get involved in really stupid romance subplots that nobody cares about but it's implied by the writers that you should be emotionally invested.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 05:33:42 AM »
I wasn't aware of the existance of this show, your mentions made me curious. Guess I'll try and watch it too, I saw the trailer and it looked something enjoyable!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 05:50:40 PM »
It's super enjoyable and sort of addicting. I'd find myself watching 5-6 episodes in a clip. Gael Garcia Bernal is just a joy to watch as Rodrigo.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 10:26:09 AM »
It's super enjoyable and sort of addicting. I'd find myself watching 5-6 episodes in a clip. Gael Garcia Bernal is just a joy to watch as Rodrigo.
Same. 

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 03:35:05 PM »

Totally! Besides I like the way he mixes words in spanish when he's talking.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 03:37:27 AM »
Started watching, the first episode already got me hooked. I will definitively see it all through and then catch up on the entire series!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 05:45:08 AM »
I just started watching this show(5 eps.in) and it is really good. Each episode is a perfect length to keep interesting. Man, I can't believe how good Bernadette looks at 69????Sheesh! Well, now I'm hooked on the show and can't wait to start digging into the rest of the seasons. :tup

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »
Finished the first season... very good! I've read comments on various review sites about many of the orchestra details are wrong or wildly implausible, but I guess that's the curse of being expert of any field discussed in a specific movie or series, so that didn't really bother me. The episodes always feel too short, they leave you wanting more!

Rodrigo is an hell of a character, he's completely hammered, the whole time, I can't remember if he ever says something acting and talking like a normal person   :D I really like him as a character, but as a "real" person in that fictional universe, I'm not so sure he would be that loved - sure, here and there he's shown doing things that endear him to the orchestra, but he's such a wild and unpredictable card that people would quickly be fed up with him. I think of him like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, wonderful characters to watch, but horrible to have around and deal with if they were real persons.