Author Topic: The use of playlists in this day and age  (Read 4922 times)

Online mikeyd23

Re: The use of playlists in this day and age
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2017, 02:15:28 PM »
They're working on the 1TB iPod.
https://www.iflash.xyz/teaser-the-1tb-ipod/

Geez, couldn't they do a 2TB iPod already??

I think they would have to abandon the whole iPod structure to do that. A brand new device would need to be created, and unfortunately, I don't think the demand is there yet, but who knows.

I'd be all about 2TB iPods.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2017, 02:21:42 PM »
Well wait, that's not a legit ipod right?  Just someone who mods them?  Or am I reading this wrong?

My 64GB microsd card does the job for my phone.  I'll eventually upgrade to a 128GB card, but I don't need it yet.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »
I mean I'd be happy if they just started producing 160gb ones again to be honest. If I wanted all my mp3s to be lossless then a TB iPod might be useful but I can't see that happening. I'm just glad they are still planning to make iPods though  :biggrin:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »
That article was from Jan 2015. I don't imagine Apple are bothering seeing as they've scrapped the iPod Classic entirely.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2017, 02:28:44 PM »
That article was from Jan 2015. I don't imagine Apple are bothering seeing as they've scrapped the iPod Classic entirely.

:censored  :tdwn

This does make me sad. Didn't they scrap them quietly with no press statement, like they just disappeared from their website? I heard it was because of wanting to push people towards using their Apple Music streaming service, which would make them more money.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2017, 02:29:56 PM »
I thought it was a guy who was planning to mod them. I didn't see the date though  :sad:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2017, 02:37:34 PM »

:censored  :tdwn

This does make me sad. Didn't they scrap them quietly with no press statement, like they just disappeared from their website? I heard it was because of wanting to push people towards using their Apple Music streaming service, which would make them more money.
Not sure if it was that specifically. My understanding was that so many people now use streaming or just use their phones that the market for standalone music players is a lot less than it was. Still big enough for other firms to keep producing them, but that's not really Apple's business model (especially as the Classic's were better made than basically everything else they produce and so people didn't need to buy a new one every couple of years).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2017, 02:46:44 PM »
I think iPods will come back since people's music collections only keep getting bigger, since the market is so saturated. I predict within 5 years the iPod is back, it's a great marketing tool, maybe have a limited release of 1TB ipods. I don't see moving to streaming as progression, just another way to consume music. It's nice to have your own music, to do with it what you please, and not have to worry about buffering and all that comes with streaming and using up data/battery.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2017, 02:48:28 PM »
I disagree.

You'll just see phones increase in size as they have been.  There is little to no need for a dedicated music player these days. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2017, 02:50:27 PM »
Scrapping of the iPod Classic has left me with a bit of a problem. I have a modified classic that holds 240 gb (actually a little less than that). I'm at about 190 gbs now, so I have enough, but obviously not for the long term. Unfortunately, uber music geeks such as ourselves are not Apple's target market.  :lol

I think some of you have missed the point of the original post (or I didn't explain properly). I'm an album guy too. 80% of my music listening is albums, in full (no skipping  ;)). I only really listen to my favourite songs on shuffle when I'm getting pumped for a night out, walking to work or sometimes when I'm driving.

I use playlists more as a way of organising my albums so I give them a fair amount of listens. So, as I'd said, if I want to listen to an album that I discovered in 2015 (but I'm not sure what) I'll have a flick through that playlist and be like "oh yeah, Deloused in the Crematorium is great, not listened to that in a while." then listen to that album in full. I then might fancy one of my all time favourite albums so I'll look through that playlist and be like "Fuck yea, ...And Out Come the Wolves, what a corker." and I'll listen to that album in full.

I think some of you maybe getting confused and thinking because I say playlist I mean I'm listening to it on shuffle. That's not the case. As I've said, it's just my way of organising and making sure I remember to listen to a band like Agalloch (who I like but can easily neglect), for example.

With the sheer amount of music we all consume in these parts I just wondered if there are many that use playlists like me. Possibly not that many. Just wanted to clear that up.

Yeah, I misunderstood. So to sum it up, you use playlists of full records so that you don't forget what came out when, so you can remember to listen to them all properly. Is that right?

If I now understand correctly, I'm not really sure that would work for me, but I could see how it could work for some others. For me, the stuff I've recently got is listed as "Recently Added" in my iTunes, so I can easily reference the newest stuff I got. But I see your point. Things that are a couple years older, you can go back and reference easier...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »
I disagree.

You'll just see phones increase in size as they have been.  There is little to no need for a dedicated music player these days.

Yup, I agree with you, unfortunately. I wouldn't mind everything being in one device. I would even switch to an iPhone (I am an Android guy) if there was enough space for the phone and all my tunes. But like I said above, people like most of us are not Apple's target audience. They are looking for the average music listener.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2017, 02:56:47 PM »
I disagree.

Yup, I agree with you, unfortunately. I wouldn't mind everything being in one device. I would even switch to an iPhone (I am an Android guy) if there was enough space for the phone and all my tunes. But like I said above, people like most of us are not Apple's target audience. They are looking for the average music listener.

Yea, the ipod because a small market for Apple and just not worth their money to continue that product.  I know people loved them so it sucks, but it makes sense from a business perspective.  And that's what I love about my android is the microsd port.  I can incease my music space without needing a new phone.  Samsung took that out of the S6 and it pissed enough people off to bring it back in the S7.  I hope that it stays in future phones as well.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2017, 02:57:32 PM »
I disagree.

You might be right. But for now, I'm still better off with my 160gb ipod and my phone, how big do the phones get nowadays?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2017, 03:01:35 PM »
I disagree.

You might be right. But for now, I'm still better off with my 160gb ipod and my phone, how big do the phones get nowadays?

The largest iphone is 256GB.  Largest Samsung is 128 with expandable SD slot.  And they will get bigger as storage becomes cheaper which we've seen from the first smart phones.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2017, 03:13:14 PM »
Yeah, I misunderstood. So to sum it up, you use playlists of full records so that you don't forget what came out when, so you can remember to listen to them all properly. Is that right?

If I now understand correctly, I'm not really sure that would work for me, but I could see how it could work for some others. For me, the stuff I've recently got is listed as "Recently Added" in my iTunes, so I can easily reference the newest stuff I got. But I see your point. Things that are a couple years older, you can go back and reference easier...

Yea, basically. The thing is that with nearly 19,000 songs on my iPod it can be a bit overwhelming when trying to decide what to listen to. In the past I found myself just listening to my go to bands (which is fine) but not listening to loads of great stuff that I had. I found by putting the music into more bite size chunks (playlists) I can divide my time between my music in a better way. This is only something I've had to start doing in the last 3-4 years or so. It's just because I've discovered so much new music in those years and my library has grown massively.