Author Topic: The use of playlists in this day and age  (Read 4923 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: The use of playlists in this day and age
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 05:42:47 AM »
Yea, I have a 160gb iPod. It really pissed me off when I found out they'd stopped making them. There's more money to be made on streaming services but I like to have my music all on my iPod. That's a whole other issue but yea, I don't know what I'm going to do when my iPod dies  :tdwn

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 05:47:17 AM »
I bought a Creative mp3 player back in the day.

It lasted one month.

They sent me a replacement.

It lasted two weeks.

They sent me a further replacement.

It's lasting since twelve years and still going strong  ;D

I know I'm anachronistic but I don't even know what kind of mp3 player devices are around now. If my mp3 player, by now one of my most beloved objects, dies out, I'll have to educate myself about the current technology.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Art

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2017, 05:58:11 AM »
I find making playlists to be more fun than actually listening to them.  Certain eras have playlists I revisit quite a bit (80s, classic rock), but by and large, I am still an album guy, or artist (like, I will listen to a specific artist for several days in a row, bouncing from album to album).

I am exactly like this. Normaly, i listen to full albums, and by the same artist for some days (sometimes weeks). But i use playlists of individual songs for stuff like 80's pop, 90's alternative, Synthwave, Power Metal, Krautrock, instrumental music etc.

I use Spotify as my main source of music.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 06:05:16 AM by Art »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 06:05:17 AM »
Yea, I have a 160gb iPod. It really pissed me off when I found out they'd stopped making them. There's more money to be made on streaming services but I like to have my music all on my iPod. That's a whole other issue but yea, I don't know what I'm going to do when my iPod dies  :tdwn
FiiO make some interesting devices, albeit expensive ones. but if my iPod Classic died tomorrow I'd probably just buy a 128GB or 200GB micro SD and stick it in my phone.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 06:14:49 AM by Bolsters »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2017, 06:11:31 AM »
Where are you going to go that you need to take 160 GB worth of music  with you ?

It's not like before iPods / MP3 players we took our entire CD collection on holiday or anything.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2017, 06:23:14 AM »
You're completely right. You know what, we should stop using social media to stay in touch with acquiantances/friends too, since before the existence of the internet no one was sending smoke signals to their friends to ask them to hang out with them either.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2017, 06:25:38 AM »
Where are you going to go that you need to take 160 GB worth of music  with you ?

It's not like before iPods / MP3 players we took our entire CD collection on holiday or anything.
I don't always know now what I will want to listen to later. :lol If I only had some tiny 16GB thing, I'd have to decide which 16GB of stuff I want to take before I go anywhere, and too bad if I thought of something else I wanted to listen to and didn't have it. Considering that my music collection exceeds 300GB (smaller if it were all MP3, but still) - that's very likely to happen.

And you're right that we didn't take our entire CD libraries away with us back in the day - but that's only because it was impractical to do so. MP3 players make it practical.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2017, 06:27:53 AM »

What I love is that I used to carry a case that held 32 CD's and I have to continually shuffle CD's in and out.  Now my music is on my 160 GB I-Pod and it's grab and go no matter where I am.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2017, 06:29:30 AM »
I only listen to full albums.

On vinyl.

On a vintage record player from 1973.

With Koss Pro4AAs headphones.

In a dark room lying on the floor.

Any other way of listening to music is insulting and if you do it any other way, you don't deserve to be listening to music.

On a bearskin rug, with candles lit, wine in one hand, lotion in the other and tissues close by.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2017, 06:46:17 AM »
You're completely right. You know what, we should stop using social media to stay in touch with acquiantances/friends too, since before the existence of the internet no one was sending smoke signals to their friends to ask them to hang out with them either.

Oh you're one of THOSE people...

I don't agree with what you're saying so i'll come up with the most backward, worst case scenario reply and that means I'm right. End of.

Also your analogy makes no sense.

When have we EVER carried our entire music collection with us everywhere we go ?

We could always call people on landline / house phones... And we've had public phone booths for decades...

MP3 players are just a luxury.. you're implying that before them - listening to music was a chore.

Also first world problems brah.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2017, 06:49:03 AM »
Never was it a chore but now it's much easier.  It takes me minutes to put together a playlist unlike the old day burning on a CD.

BTW I have over 400GB of music so 160 seems small to me. :lol

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2017, 06:50:48 AM »
but the few times I put it on random, just hearing a song from this band or that band just made me want to hear more songs by those bands. Once I get a band in my head or something, I often want nothing but music by them for the rest of the day, a few days, or even a week or two sometimes.  And then it fades and I am on to someone else.  It's just how my process often works.

I'm the same way - I'll get on a kick and listen to nothing but a particular band's albums for a few days, sometimes even a week straight.  I never use playlists and just pick whatever I want to listen to at the moment.  Sometimes that means my favorite records.  Sometimes it means I'll dig through my collection and listen to something that I haven't heard in a long time and rediscover it. 

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2017, 06:55:08 AM »
Not long ago, I made one with nothing but ballads, to listen while studying. Before that, I can't remember when.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2017, 06:57:45 AM »
I don't agree with what you're saying so i'll come up with the most backward, worst case scenario reply and that means I'm right. End of.
It's not really a matter of agreeing/disagreeing with you. I just thought it was amusing that you make remarks about people who bring more music with them when they head out than the amount they need, given their device has the space to store huge amounts of music anyway. No one *needs* 160GB of music when they go to the grocery store, but would you actively remove music you like just so you have more space on your device that is being put to no use?

I'll admit that the analogy was terrible, that was kind of the point I tried to make - which you apparently completely missed.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2017, 06:59:00 AM »
The real reason why people have 160GB devices is - because they can :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2017, 07:00:54 AM »

What I love is that I used to carry a case that held 32 CD's and I have to continually shuffle CD's in and out.  Now my music is on my 160 GB I-Pod and it's grab and go no matter where I am.

This.

I used to make a lot of 'themed' playlists, but as Tim/Kev said, I usually spent more time making the playlist than listening to it.  Things like:

Double/Double - songs with the exact same title.  You'd be surprised how many there are - I think I have 7 or 8 songs titled Promised Land.
All The Young Dudes - songs with a 'male' reference in the title
Along Comes a Woman - ditto... but 'female'

I've got a couple dozen of these kinds of themes.  As my library continued to grow (it's about 17k songs on iTunes; and 200+ saved albums on Spotify), it was impossible to keep updating these, so I just gave up.  I've got about a dozen go-to playlists depending on my mood - epics, instrumentals, power ballads, mellow stuff, 'best-of' from a specific genre/era, acoustic etc..

But, 90% of the time, I'm just choosing a band/genre, and going with an entire album.

@ Kotow... what the hell does "one of THOSE people" mean?  So far, you're the only one talking about the silliness of large capacity media devices, while multiple people are talking about their convenience.  I'm with ToN and King on this.  If technology allows me to do something effortlessly (eg, take my music collection with me everywhere), why wouldn't I?  I've learned to appreciate the conveniences that technology provides.  For whatever reason, in the case of one's music library, you haven't.  Which is fine, but you don't need to go (mildly) bashing those of us that do.

Your logic and reasoning is baffling.  Technology has evolved with the times, as has the way humans use it in their everyday lives.  By your logic, landlines were unnecessary in the early 20th century, because people always had telegraphs?  But then, the telegraph was unnecessary because there was the postal service.  But they too were unnecessary because there were carrier pigeons.  And. So. On.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2017, 07:06:21 AM »
It's not the capacity that I think is silly Since you're never going to listen to everything on there in one day.

It's just when people complain that you can no longer get 160GB iPods like they've been inconvenienced.

Just pick 32GB of your absolute favourite music and put that on there.

I wasn't saying " 160GB of music is stupid since we have CDs and we never took 160GB worth of CDs everywhere we went ".

Just when people complain that they can no longer get 160GB iPods when the majority of what would be on there goes unlistened.

:) :hug:  :chill :heart :hat

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2017, 07:13:19 AM »
I get ya, but I love that I can hold 2/5 of my ever growing music collection.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2017, 07:13:34 AM »
Generally I listen to albums as a whole. Most of my music is organized through Spotify so I follow and save albums by bands I like and know well, or just follow bands I like but need to dig into more. I use playlists to determine whether or not I want to follow an artist and check more out. I have a playlist called "Look Into" where I put any songs from my discover weekly playlist that stood out to me. I also put recommendations from other people or just albums I've heard are great in there.

I have a playlist that I started doing with all new releases from artists I like from that year. Ex: "2016 releases", and a "2017 releases" for this year. I usually put those on to check out new stuff I've been wanting to listen to at work or on long car rides.

I also have "show" playlists. I have several friends who all share music. We all put music in playlists (i.e "Show Justin" or "Show Catherine") and share them with each other.

Other than that I just have a playlist for really nostalgic songs that I have a lot of memories with. Overall though most playlists are solely for the purpose of getting into an artists and eventually I'll just listen to full albums if I dig them enough to check out more.

I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2017, 07:16:08 AM »
It's not the capacity that I think is silly Since you're never going to listen to everything on there in one day.

It's just when people complain that you can no longer get 160GB iPods like they've been inconvenienced.

For some of us, it is an inconvenience to routinely rotate and re-sync music based on what we think we might want to listen to at any given time.  Yes, 1st world problems.  I like the convenience of listening to whatever I want from my library, whenever I want it.  I used to have a 64GB iPhone, and it was a pain every time I bought new albums that I had to think about what would have to delete so that I could include the new albums

Let's assume you have a few dozen apps on your iPhone/Android.  What you're suggesting is tantamount to saying that it's ok to just live with an 8GB device, and just take the apps you need, because you can always re-sync/reload the apps you don't use the next time you're at your computer.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2017, 07:33:46 AM »
I actually never make playlists. Maybe I'm missing out, but I usually just listen to albums.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2017, 07:35:45 AM »
I'm gonna go with Jingle here. It's 2017 and storage is cheap. I see no reason not to have larger capacity. It doesn't matter how likely I am to listen to it. The purpose of an iPod is to store music, I see no reason that it shouldn't be able to store all of it, especially when the storage is readily available and plenty of people are willing to pay for it. It's just nice to be able to put everything in one place and be organized. It bothers me significantly not to have everything organized and stored it one place.

But there are plenty of 128 GB phones or smart phones with SD card capability that can serve that purpose just fine.

I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2017, 08:52:19 AM »

I wasn't saying " 160GB of music is stupid since we have CDs and we never took 160GB worth of CDs everywhere we went ".

Just when people complain that they can no longer get 160GB iPods when the majority of what would be on there goes unlistened.

Sorry, boss, have to disagree with you on this one.   I love having all my music with me (I have something like 1500 CDs; it's about 130GB at 128kbps).   It just doesn't work for me to continually synch things every day, especially since I travel a fair amount.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2017, 09:45:58 AM »

Sorry, boss, have to disagree with you on this one.   I love having all my music with me (I have something like 1500 CDs; it's about 130GB at 128kbps).   It just doesn't work for me to continually synch things every day, especially since I travel a fair amount.
Yeah exactly.

Will my life be ruined by it? No, of course not. But I want my collection to be available to me so that I don't need to predict what I want to listen to in advance, and it's frustrating that the only high capacity players that still exist seem to be pretty expensive. And unnecessarily so, as high-capacity microSD cards show that storage is just not very expensive now.

FiiO make some interesting devices, albeit expensive ones. but if my iPod Classic died tomorrow I'd probably just buy a 128GB or 200GB micro SD and stick it in my phone.
This is exactly what I did a few months ago when my iPod Classic decided to stop working (after the customary Apple 3-year lifecycle, though lower than standard for the iPod Classic which normally seemed to last longer than other Apple products). Couldn't find anything that looked right, so just got a 128GB card (which fit my full collection - for now anyway) and spent a couple of quid on a decent Android music player.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2017, 10:30:37 AM »
I keep all my music on my Ipod.

I keep my Ipod in my car, which is the most common way I listen to it.

I break up my music into multiple playlists.

Because of how it's set up, having all of my music on my Ipod at once is paramount.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »

I take my iPod with me pretty much everywhere I go. I like to have all my music with me so if I want to listen to anything, I can. I'm the sort of person who can listen to multiple genres in one day and can suddenly have the urge to listen to a certain band. If the technology is there then I'm going to use it. I used to have a 20gb Creative and then a 32gb Creative mp3 player. I ended up converting all my files to 128kbps just so I could fit it all on and then had to delete something everytime I got something new. I got my 160gb out in Australia when I was out there about 4 and a half years ago. It's still going strong and I'm now spoilt by the luxury of it.

I'm not a fan of Apple and refused to get an iPod for years. Unfortunately they pretty much monopolized the market so if I wanted an mp3 player with a large memory I had to get an iPod. Now they have stopped producing these large iPods to try to push people towards Apple Music (which is why I was so pissed off about it).

Having an iPod has given me the ability to feed this playlist addiction even more as I have so much music at my fingertips. Anyway, I could go on.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:08:41 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »
I love my 160GB iPod classic. I'll be super bummed when it dies. I love the ability to have all my music on a separate device, usually in my car. I still have music on my iPhone, but it's usually just a dozen or so albums that I'm into at the moment.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »
in reply to the original post, I don't use playlists often. I have a few, mostly for my personal greatest hits from favorite bands, but I don't have a "mix tape" of multiple artists/songs as a single playlist.

Perhaps it's an age thing? I'm in my 40s, so I am still very much an "album" guy, despite me listening to 95 percent of my music in digital formats. I end up listening to complete albums that way. I still buy CDs, but they get ripped, liner notes read, and ultimately, shelved. Right now, I have Mastodon's The Hunter playing on my iTunes on a laptop. I haven't looked at the CD itself since I bought it and opened it initially.

So no, I don't really use playlists in the manner you do. I just don't like to cherry pick SONGS. I prefer to listen to where a band was, completely, in a certain timeframe, which makes the full album appealing, as opposed to a playlist.

That said, I have noticed with the huge influx of new releases (studio, live, etc.) that come out now every year, I find myself spending less time with records, which is a bummer. I'm going back and re-listening to something that didn't click initially, and finding out I just didn't give it the right time, or my head wasn't into what was being done at the time. Perhaps your playlist listening/arranging would have helped me get to that sooner.

But I don't really foresee myself doing it. I'll likely just stick to album listening.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2017, 01:30:08 PM »
So no, I don't really use playlists in the manner you do. I just don't like to cherry pick SONGS. I prefer to listen to where a band was, completely, in a certain timeframe, which makes the full album appealing, as opposed to a playlist.

I'm against chery picking songs too, when it comes to albums. I always read here and there "Whenever I listen to this album I skip this song", the concept of skipping is alien to me. If I feel like listening to an album, I'm inclined to hear that whole album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2017, 01:36:53 PM »
I don't use playlists :P

Do you just keep track of everything I your head dude?

Also, I call bullshit  :lol
I just listen to albums lol

Me too. I don't know why this is such a hilarious or outlandish thing to do.

Same here.  Occasionally I'll make a playlist for maybe my next flight or something, but typically I just listen to albums, or maybe a band/my entire phone on shuffle.  Samsung's music player on their phones has a queue.  You can just add songs or albums to your listening queue which is sort of like your live playlist.  So I might just put on an album and then add another album or two to the queue so once the first album is done, it'll go to the next.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2017, 01:38:41 PM »
It all depends on the mood I'm in.  Sometimes it's full albums, sometimes it's a playlist.

I also like making a playlist of concerts I went to.  Haken was the last one I did that for.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2017, 01:51:26 PM »
They're working on the 1TB iPod.
https://www.iflash.xyz/teaser-the-1tb-ipod/

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2017, 01:53:08 PM »
I think some of you have missed the point of the original post (or I didn't explain properly). I'm an album guy too. 80% of my music listening is albums, in full (no skipping  ;)). I only really listen to my favourite songs on shuffle when I'm getting pumped for a night out, walking to work or sometimes when I'm driving.

I use playlists more as a way of organising my albums so I give them a fair amount of listens. So, as I'd said, if I want to listen to an album that I discovered in 2015 (but I'm not sure what) I'll have a flick through that playlist and be like "oh yeah, Deloused in the Crematorium is great, not listened to that in a while." then listen to that album in full. I then might fancy one of my all time favourite albums so I'll look through that playlist and be like "Fuck yea, ...And Out Come the Wolves, what a corker." and I'll listen to that album in full.

I think some of you maybe getting confused and thinking because I say playlist I mean I'm listening to it on shuffle. That's not the case. As I've said, it's just my way of organising and making sure I remember to listen to a band like Agalloch (who I like but can easily neglect), for example.

With the sheer amount of music we all consume in these parts I just wondered if there are many that use playlists like me. Possibly not that many. Just wanted to clear that up.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2017, 01:56:14 PM »

Geez, couldn't they do a 2TB iPod already??

Offline darkshade

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2017, 02:13:48 PM »

Geez, couldn't they do a 2TB iPod already??

I think they would have to abandon the whole iPod structure to do that. A brand new device would need to be created, and unfortunately, I don't think the demand is there yet, but who knows.