Author Topic: The use of playlists in this day and age  (Read 4924 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The use of playlists in this day and age
« on: March 14, 2017, 05:42:18 PM »
I wanted to make a topic to discuss how the use of playlists effects how we all listen to music nowadays.

I don't mean a playlist of individual songs (although that's fine too, if that's what you enjoy doing) but how you use playlists to organise the way you listen to your music.

As my music library grows (probably close to 2000 albums, and that's just what's on my iPod) I use playlists to organise my music and make sure that I am dividing my time between all my music/albums. For example, on my iPod I have a variety of playlists:

• My Classic Faves (all my 4/5 star rated songs)
  • My Top Rated (all my 5 star rated songs)
  • My Recent Top Rated (the 300 most recently played 5 star rated songs)
  • 2015 (all the music I discovered in 2015, not just albums released in 2015)
  • 2016 (all the music I discovered in 2016, not just albums released in 2016)
  • 2016 Releases (speaks for itself)
  • 2017 (all the music I discovered in 2017, not just albums released in 2017)
  • Classic Albums (all my all time favourite albums, new and old)
  • Current Faves (all my recent favourite albums, this rotates a lot and I change out/in albums depending on how much I am loving these albums still)
  • Extreme Metal (all the extreme metal obvs)
  • a current On-The-Go (I make up a new one every week or so with some albums I'm really digging or something I just fancy listening to)
  • Progressive Music (speaks for itself, progressive music of all varieties)
  • Punk Rock (also speaks for itself)

That pretty much covers all the playlists on my iPod. I also use Spotify mainly to discover new music and give albums a try, on Spotify I currently have a playlist with about 100+ albums that I have been meaning to check out. It's organised alphabetically by album title and I'm working through it trying out new albums, recommendations. There is also a playlist that I put all songs discovered via the 'Discover Weekly' Spotify playlist into, to keep track. With so much music out there I find I have to organise all my music like this and rotate through these playlists to make sure I don't just listen to the same old things and I give everything a fair amount of listens. Admittedly I have become more and more anal about these playlists as time goes on but I am so hungry for new music.

I do predominantly listen to albums on the whole and I have found this is the easiest way for me to do this.

In short, are any of you guys similar in how you listen to music? It was easy back in the day when I had a few hundred CDs and I could just look at my albums and pick something out. Now though, having all this music at your fingertips (and frequenting DTF so much) I am always discovering new bands/having to make time to listen to new releases.

If anyone else gets me and does the same it will be someone here  :tup

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The use of playlists in this day and age
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:52:44 PM »
How I use playlists is very simple. If a band has two album which I enjoy, but not from beginning to end, then I will make a playlist combining my favorites songs from each album. For example

1. I combined songs from Test for echo and Presto and made the playlist "Test for presto"

2. I combined songs from Fear of the dark and no prayer for the dying to make "Fear of dying"

This all happened because I noticed that there were a bunch of albums in my collection that were not getting listened to, because I really don't like skipping songs, especially since I listen to music while driving a lot. So this solution helps out big time.

Besides that I just listen to whole albums, and if a whole album has just 1 or 2 songs I don't like, then I will just uncheck those songs from the album, so they are no longer on my iphone.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 05:56:28 PM »
I find making playlists to be more fun than actually listening to them.  Certain eras have playlists I revisit quite a bit (80s, classic rock), but by and large, I am still an album guy, or artist (like, I will listen to a specific artist for several days in a row, bouncing from album to album).

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 05:58:46 PM »
How I use playlists is very simple. If a band has two album which I enjoy, but not from beginning to end, then I will make a playlist combining my favorites songs from each album. For example

1. I combined songs from Test for echo and Presto and made the playlist "Test for presto"

2. I combined songs from Fear of the dark and no prayer for the dying to make "Fear of dying"

This all happened because I noticed that there were a bunch of albums in my collection that were not getting listened to, because I really don't like skipping songs, especially since I listen to music while driving a lot. So this solution helps out big time.

That's a new one on me  :lol

I really like to try to listen to albums on the whole where I can, if I don't like the album that much I just don't end up listening to it that much. If there are songs I like though they will be given 4 or 5 stars so they automatically add to the iTunes smart playlist for these rated songs. If I'm sometimes driving or just fancy listening to my fave songs on random then I stick these playlists on. Other than that I mainly listen to albums in full.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 05:59:19 PM »
I love making Playlist for mowing my lawn then I post them on Facebook and link friends.  Sometimes it turns them onto music, sometimes it leads to hilarity. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 06:00:07 PM »
I find making playlists to be more fun than actually listening to them. 

:lol
I know exactly what you mean. It was like setting up my hockey cards when I was a kid. Now what?! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 06:01:07 PM »
I don't use playlists :P

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 06:01:16 PM »
I find making playlists to be more fun than actually listening to them.  Certain eras have playlists I revisit quite a bit (80s, classic rock), but by and large, I am still an album guy, or artist (like, I will listen to a specific artists for several days in a row, bouncing from album to album).

I'm totally an album guy and I listen to all these playlists shuffling the albums, I don't listen to individual songs on random (except for my 4/5 star rated songs playlists). I used to listen to a certain artist, or a few, for days at a time but I honestly hardly ever do that anymore.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 06:05:02 PM »
I find making playlists to be more fun than actually listening to them. 

:lol
I know exactly what you mean. It was like setting up my hockey cards when I was a kid. Now what?! :lol

Haha, yep.

I find making playlists to be more fun than actually listening to them.  Certain eras have playlists I revisit quite a bit (80s, classic rock), but by and large, I am still an album guy, or artist (like, I will listen to a specific artists for several days in a row, bouncing from album to album).

I'm totally an album guy and I listen to all these playlists shuffling the albums, I don't listen to individual songs on random (except for my 4/5 star rated songs playlists). I used to listen to a certain artist, or a few, for days at a time but I honestly hardly ever do that anymore.

A buddy of mine made himself a "1,000" list a few years ago, meaning a playlist of his favorite 1,000 songs, which he calls the greatest radio station for himself, and I took a crack at its as well, but the few times I put it on random, just hearing a song from this band or that band just made me want to hear more songs by those bands. Once I get a band in my head or something, I often want nothing but music by them for the rest of the day, a few days, or even a week or two sometimes.  And then it fades and I am on to someone else.  It's just how my process often works.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »
As an album-listener, nearly all of my playlists on my iPod and phone are based on that fact. Album playlists typically are made with all session songs in mind, and this is a tactic I've done since the early 00's before mp3s got hugely popular. I used to mix songs with new crossfades and burn them onto CD-r's for personal listening, essentially making my own playlists (as much as 80 minutes could fit). With mp3s now, I can do so much more in terms of creating a "complete album" playlist.

For bands, I tend to group chunks of their albums into "Eras" or "Phases" of their history, listening to those groups of albums in chronological order. Some examples include:
-The Beatles: I have playlists by year, which includes albums and songs released in a single year as ONE playlist, but also chunks of albums as playlists
-Rush: the obvious one, 5 sets of albums in their "Sectors", Rush to 2112, AFTK to MP, SIG to HYF, Presto to TFE, and VT to CA (sans Feedback cuz...it's Feedback)
-King Crimson: Again, another one with eras, so the first four albums, then the 3 Wetton-Era albums, then the 3 Belew-Era albums of the 80's, then everything after that.

There are hundreds of similar playlists on my iPod, but they're all separated into a single band. Rarely do I ever find myself wanting to listen to more than one band at a time, unless it's a collection of singles or various covers, like a playlist of Classic Prog Songs covered by Modern Prog Artists: "Starless" by Neal Morse, "The Cinema Show" by The Flower Kings, "La Villa Strangiato" from the Working Man Tribute, etc. etc.

Otherwise, the majority of my playlists are just albums (with some non-album tracks and b-sides mixed in, where applicable). I list them by "Band/Artist - Number (typically equating album number, debuts = 1, pre-debut demos = 0, between-album EPs or live albums get an X.5 - then album title", like so:
DT 01 - WDADU
DT 02 - IAW
DT 02.5 - LATM Expanded
DT 03 - Awake
DT 04 - FII
DT 04.5 - OIALT Complete
DT 05 - SFAM
... ... ...and so on and so forth

The music-by-year-of-release idea intrigues me, because I have kept lists of albums I have bought and/or listened to by year over the last 7 or 8 years, so it'd be fun to go back and put those albums into a playlist based on when each was released, and relive that "Year of Music"!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »

Do you just keep track of everything I your head dude?

Also, I call bullshit  :lol
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:18:08 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 06:16:17 PM »
I use mix cd's! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 06:21:41 PM »
I use mix cd's! ;D

Those were the days, a simpler time. I have made mix CD's for friends in recent times but I don't make them for myself. I just get bored of them too quickly, I could make a really cool mix but I just get bored and want to make another. If I have all my favourite songs in one playlist then every time I put it on random it's like a new mix CD.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 06:24:44 PM »
I love making Playlist for mowing my lawn then I post them on Facebook and link friends.  Sometimes it turns them onto music, sometimes it leads to hilarity.

Yea I should do that. I can always trust a few of my friends to still appreciate some of the random crap I suggest they listen to. It'd also be fun to just tag friends who I know would hate it. Also, you have Lawnmower Deth on this playlist right?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 06:26:03 PM »
I use mix cd's! ;D

That's me in the car. I have ZERO original CDs in the car.  I burn CDs for the car, and with mp3s, you can get tons of songs on a single CD, even when having HQ rips (I rip everything at the highest quality possible).

Example of my CDs for the car (the first ones are the few artists where I need more than one since I cannot get all of the songs I want to hear by them on one mp3 CD):

Rush (x2)
Dream Theater (x2)
Porcupine Tree (x2)
Neal Morse (x2)
Devin Townsend (x2)
Genesis
Flower Kings
Steve Howe-era Yes/Steve Howe solo
Trevor Rabin-era Yes/Trevor Rabin solo
U2
Beatles/assorted solo songs by Lennon, McCartney and Harrison
Death Cab/Arcade Fire
Queen
Blue Oyster Cult/Kansas (might seem like a weird combo, but I got into both around the same time, so I will always relate the two, and I can condense the songs I want to hear by both on a regular basis on to one CD)
Zeppelin
Sabbath/Ozzy solo
Styx/Damn Yankees/Shaw and Blades/Tommy Shaw
Muse
80s hits (x3 - 8083, 84-86 and 87-89)
Tears for Fears/Talking Heads
Coldplay/dredg/Flying Colors (how's that for a trio :P)
Flaming Lips
Metallica/Queensryche
Judas Priest
Boston/Heart/Triumph
Van Halen
And many more I cannot think of.

Making mixed CDs is fun. :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 06:30:32 PM »

Yea I should do that. I can always trust a few of my friends to still appreciate some of the random crap I suggest they listen to. It'd also be fun to just tag friends who I know would hate it. Also, you have Lawnmower Deth on this playlist right?

I do not! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 06:36:15 PM »

I do not! :lol

Well you missed a trick there.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 06:42:54 PM »

I just listen to albums lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 07:05:42 PM »
I don't know that I've ever made a playlist.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 07:07:58 PM »

I just listen to albums lol

Me too. I don't know why this is such a hilarious or outlandish thing to do.

For things I don't have on CD (stuff I have dl'ed over the years), they are in the appropriate folders on my computer. I don't use playlists for that music either. When I want to listen to dance music, I open that folder and hit shuffle. I've never felt compelled to make a playlist. But I know others do, so carry on here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 07:19:39 PM »
  When I want to listen to dance music, I open that folder and hit shuffle. 

When I want to listen to dance music, I usually jab myself in the eye with a long knitting needle.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 07:21:52 PM »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
All of the playlists I have in Spotify are either full albums that I want to listen to at some point (I find it easier to manage them all as playlists and use the playlist folders), or are roulette playlists.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 11:29:50 PM »
I currently have two playlists on Spotify.  One for my hard rock/alternative metal/heavy metal stuff and one for the non-hard rock stuff (Zac Brown Band, Lindsey Stirling, Justin Timberlake, etc.)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 12:46:55 AM »
The only reason I made playlists on Spotify is

1.) Roulettes (made several playlists assigned to several hosts with music in it I thought they might like)
2.) For friends who wanted me to share music with them (again, made a playlist with music I thought they might like)
3.) I have one playlist where I gather all the songs I consider "favourites" at this point, whenever I feel like a song drops below the favourite threshold I move it out. I've played this playlist like once but found that my all-time favourite songs all have their own time and place, not as enjoyable listening to front to back.

Me, I pretty much never use playlists. Most of the time I already know beforehand what album I want to listen to and I'll play it. If not, I will just scroll through my albums and pick something I'm in the mood for.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 01:51:43 AM »
All of the playlists I have in Spotify are either full albums that I want to listen to at some point (I find it easier to manage them all as playlists and use the playlist folders), or are roulette playlists.

Yea, that's pretty much exactly how I use Spotify. I only have it on my laptop at home so I use it for checking out new albums.

Me, I pretty much never use playlists. Most of the time I already know beforehand what album I want to listen to and I'll play it. If not, I will just scroll through my albums and pick something I'm in the mood for.

This was how I used to be. I guess some of you just have smaller music collections. I didn't use playlists at all really when my collection was smaller as I could just scroll through, as you say, and choose what I fancy. The use of my playlists now is to condense my music so that I don't have to scroll so much and can just think "I want to listen to some extreme metal" and find something from that playlist. Last year was a great year for music discovery for me so my '2016' playlist is full of great stuff. So yea, if like me you have a large collection of albums and don't want to spend time scrolling through them all then you may also use playlists to make the job easier for yourself. If I just listened to the albums/bands that popped into my head then it would limit my listening as half the time I'd forget about some stuff I have on my iPod or albums I may not have listened to in like a year.

As I said, I do get a bit anal about it all  :lol

I just know there are a lot of people out here who discover a ton of new music each year and just wondered if they were like me with how they organise it all?  :corn

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 02:15:27 AM »
I mostly listen to entire albums, beginning to end. Occasionally I do this:

How I use playlists is very simple. If a band has two album which I enjoy, but not from beginning to end, then I will make a playlist combining my favorites songs from each album.

I do them with similar albums, for example consecutive ones; for example I would see myself making a mix of Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds, but not of Awake and A Dramatic Turn of Events. Or, at least, "thematic" albums, for example there's an italian rock band that since the reunion with the original singer made two albums and had two new songs on a live album, I made a mix of all of that.

But these are the exception, I still listen to entire albums. Where I get wild with my fantasy is the compilations I make to listen on the mp3 player when I go to work, knowing how long the trip lasts I organize them all of the proper length, and 99% of them are organized like setlists.

I go as far as planning the "encore" and rotating songs between "tours" like Mike Portnoy would. Say, an album of a band I like comes out, I make a compilation like if it was a tour for that album, and then next album I put in a lot of the new songs and swap some of the older ones. Yeah, I'm that weird  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 02:27:21 AM »
I only listen to full albums.

On vinyl.

On a vintage record player from 1973.

With Koss Pro4AAs headphones.

In a dark room lying on the floor.

Any other way of listening to music is insulting and if you do it any other way, you don't deserve to be listening to music.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 02:31:14 AM »

On vinyl.

Any other way of listening to music is insulting and if you do it any other way, you don't deserve to be listening to music.

Oh hey Steven, I didn't realise you had a profile on here.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 02:34:33 AM »

On vinyl.

Heh, I originally was going to end it with "I might be Steven Wilson" but for some reason didn't.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 02:37:56 AM »

On vinyl.

Heh, I originally was going to end it with "I might be Steven Wilson" but for some reason didn't.

:rollin

I do kind of see his point about playlists of songs ruining how a lot of music is intended to be listened to, as albums. But as I stated, most of my playlists are more collections of albums that I listen to as albums. Wonder what his view on that would be? Still not favourable I'd imagine.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 04:45:37 AM »
I find making playlists to be more fun than actually listening to them.  Certain eras have playlists I revisit quite a bit (80s, classic rock), but by and large, I am still an album guy, or artist (like, I will listen to a specific artist for several days in a row, bouncing from album to album).
Yep, this exactly. I don't really do playlists. If there's no album/artist I'm particularly in the mood for, I'll normally put either my whole collection on random shuffle, or a sub-set (e.g. year, genre).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 05:16:34 AM »

As my music library grows (probably close to 2000 albums, and that's just what's on my iPod)

I've got a 64GB iPod and I can only fit about 300'ish albums on it and I thought that was the largest capacity iPod?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 05:22:37 AM »
They don't make it anymore but the iPod Classic went up to 160GB.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 05:29:18 AM »
I used to just shuffle my iPod on walks anyway since the more music I had on there - the harder it was to actually choose something.