Author Topic: 9 year old to show?  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Scottjf8

9 year old to show?
« on: March 13, 2017, 10:41:36 PM »
The more I've listened to lots of good DT music, my 9 year old daughter seems to really love it too.  Even so much, she's said she wants to go see them next time they come here.

If they come here on I&W&B, should there be any concerns?  She's heard swear words before, so the "fuck" here or there when James throws them out isn't a big deal... 

Any reasons I should otherwise be concerned?  Besides the volume, but she'll be wearing protection (for her ears <g>)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: 9 year old to show?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:45:55 PM »
I cant see any reason why you shouldn't bring her. I think the fact she wants to go is fucking awesome. Parenting done right :biggrin:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 02:02:30 AM »
Bring proper hearing protection, and you'll be fine.

Offline krands85

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:27:47 AM »
My tickets for the Glasgow show say over-14s only, but no idea how that policy differs from venue to venue/country to country, or even how strictly it's enforced.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 08:04:33 AM »
Not bringing her would basically be child abuse.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 12:17:59 PM »
I'd also bring hearing protection if it were about my daughter, but - from a medical point of view - is a child's ear really more susceptible to hearing loss than that of an adult? Seems like concerts nowadays aren't that loud anyway, DT especially. I saw them in an outdoors venue, but could easily hold a conversation in the fourth row, and the crowd's singing often overpowered the band itself. The mix was great though.

As for other dangers, DT fans are mostly nerds anyway, who watch the band play in awe, I wouldn't worry about any moshpits ensuing.

Also, speaking from personal experience, seeing a rock show at that age could easily prove to be a life-altering experience.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 03:29:25 PM »
I think you'd be fine.  Probably be better off at a seated venue.  Also JLB hardly ever curses on stage.  It happens sure, but I don't even think swear words are a big thing at a DT show.  Earplugs might be smart to be safe. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 03:41:22 PM »
This came up before here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=48954.0

Something I'll throw out now but didn't think of last year is that I'd probably put the setlist together on a playlist and let the critter in question hear the songs likely to be played and get familiar with them. Don't much care for kids, myself, but from what I've seen they don't seem to have the best attention span and unfamiliar songs might not hold their interest. Particularly music like DT's. Knowing most of the songs and liking some more than others would probably make it much more interesting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 03:42:13 PM »
^ you don't need to be a kid to do that, I do it as well for bands Im not as familiar with

Offline Skeever

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 09:28:55 AM »
Absolutely bring hearing protection.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 08:55:38 PM »
Not bringing her would basically be child abuse.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 01:40:02 PM »
Hearing protection is a definite must. I recommend this for any age.
If she likes the songs that are being played, go for it!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 08:25:46 PM »
Only other concern I can think of is the occasion puff of marijuana that might waft through the audience (more likely in outdoor events).

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 10:55:14 AM »
Only other concern I can think of is the occasion puff of marijuana that might waft through the audience (more likely in outdoor events).

To a 9 year old that's just any other smell though. If the accompanying adult doesn't make a big deal of it (or even acknowledge it), the child is likely to think nothing other than "hmm. That's a smell" before continuing to enjoy the show. I don't see how a child getting wiff of marijuana is any different than that same child seeing a couple 1000 people walking around with open booze and/or smoking cigs outside the venue.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »

To a 9 year old that's just any other smell though. If the accompanying adult doesn't make a big deal of it (or even acknowledge it), the child is likely to think nothing other than "hmm. That's a smell" before continuing to enjoy the show. I don't see how a child getting wiff of marijuana is any different than that same child seeing a couple 1000 people walking around with open booze and/or smoking cigs outside the venue.

Last summer at the Korn and Rob Zombie concert, outdoor venue, there was a guy with his son in front of me.  Everytime someone lit up a joint the father ran over to them to put it out and would point over at his son (pretty much saying, can you put that out my son is right here?  The guy was not being a dick, very polite and whatnot).  I honestly think that leaves more of an impression than smelling it.  The stoner chilling at the concert is going to be way less of a nuisance the raging drunk guy as well.  I dont know, Im not a parent, just someone who thinks marijuana is the least of someone's concerns.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »

Last summer at the Korn and Rob Zombie concert, outdoor venue, there was a guy with his son in front of me.  Everytime someone lit up a joint the father ran over to them to put it out and would point over at his son (pretty much saying, can you put that out my son is right here?  The guy was not being a dick, very polite and whatnot).  I honestly think that leaves more of an impression than smelling it.  The stoner chilling at the concert is going to be way less of a nuisance the raging drunk guy as well.  I dont know, Im not a parent, just someone who thinks marijuana is the least of someone's concerns.

And now the kid knows that there is something that no one in the crowd seems to mind with the exception of his father, probably intriguing him. Whereas if the father didn't make a scene about it, the kid would have carried on with life exactly as he had been. It's amazing how much a parent saying "no" or "that's bad" will make a kid want to do it, or at the very least explore it. I'll admit that one of the driving factors behind me trying to stay up and watch softcore on HBO was because my mom made such a big deal about the stuff HBO played late at night. My aunt used to hide all the "candy" in the freezer so her kids couldn't reach it. The candy was actually frozen peas, and my cousins would sneak into the freezer with chairs to eat the peas thinking they were outsmarting their mom.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 12:15:15 PM »
 :lol that's a great idea about the peas

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 07:19:39 PM »

Props to the dad for being polite about it, but if I am the guy lighting up, I am thinking, "I am supposed to not enjoy myself like I wanted because some guy dragged his child to a concert?"  Smoking pot and keeping to yourself is pretty harmless. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 08:53:54 AM »
It is, and as someone who consistently sneaks their own goods into the venue I was talking about, there's plenty of ways to do it without annoying people.  Definitely props to the guy for being polite.  Those guys can just go walk on the lawn and enjoy the goods and come back to their seats.  It's still smoke that mostly pisses people off so I get the idea of being respectful to the people around you from both sides.  That also includes sharing.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 10:26:49 AM »
I always maintained that the people who ran to the screen to cover up Janet Jackson's pastie-clad breast were far more troubling to their kiddos than the actual sight of said knocker. Same thing applies here. That said, there's something to be said for discretion. When we light up we try to make sure a very small group of people even notice where we are. I suppose that might be different in some place where it wasn't frowned upon, but courtesy is still courtesy. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 10:46:18 AM »
  the idea of being respectful to the people around you from both sides.  That also includes sharing.
Totally!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 08:45:55 PM »
It is, and as someone who consistently sneaks their own goods into the venue I was talking about, there's plenty of ways to do it without annoying people.  Definitely props to the guy for being polite.  Those guys can just go walk on the lawn and enjoy the goods and come back to their seats.  It's still smoke that mostly pisses people off so I get the idea of being respectful to the people around you from both sides.  That also includes sharing.

Yeah, a little common courtesy is all that I would ask.  I don't disapprove use, but when you're shoulder to shoulder at an event, and its against the venue's rules (or against the law in certain states), I don't think its too much to ask that you sneak off to someplace secluded out of respect for others. To each their own, but the smell is pretty awful to me.