Poll

Pick One!

Go With The Original Plan - Top 4 advance to the finals, 5th/6th go to Consolation
16 (51.6%)
Make TA the same as every other album survivor - Top 2 advance to the finals, 3rd goes to Consolation
15 (48.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: March 15, 2017, 08:38:11 PM

Author Topic: Dream Theater Survivor 2017 - The Astonishing - Final Results Poll! PLEASE READ!  (Read 718 times)

Offline The Letter M

Since it was brought up, I figured I'd put this to a vote (as I did with the ACOS/b-sides deal), so that the participants can have their say in this matter.

For anyone who has followed ANY of my previous survivors, you'll know that when there is a huge double-album with a fair amount of songs/tracks (usually 20+), I'll typically make it so that double the amount of songs get to move on into the Finals and Consolation, since it's typically double the length of the rest of their albums. Prior examples of this have been Snow for Spock's Beard, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway for Genesis, Testimony for Neal Morse, and (kind of, sort of) Happiness Is The Road for Marillion (though in the case of that one, since both halves of the album were released as individual parts, it made more sense to take the top 3 of each disc, even though both discs have been released as one album).

Now, with an album like The Astonishing, with over 30 tracks and running over 2 hours long, it made sense for me to continue that trend, but some folks would like to see only the Top 2 advance to the finals, and third place going on to the Consolation Rounds.

This poll will be up for FOUR days, right up to the end of the the album survivor, just so we know what the results of this poll will be once that album is done. Naturally, if the 2nd option is the majority vote, it will change how long the Consolation and Finals rounds will last!

Let's face it, though, now that that's been brought up, I honestly do not see ANY of the TA tracks making it past the Top 25 in the Finals, so having 4 at the start might just be a chore, since chances are, those four would be voted out in the first 5 or 6 rounds anyway, but I'll leave that up to you guys and your votes! Would four songs from TA benefit the Finals, or should only two make it?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RuRoRul

Given the poor results of that survivor, I would stick with the original plan rather than risk Three Days not making it :lol.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

The first option.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline CharlesPL

second option easily

Offline aprilethereal

First Option

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Stick with the original option. Regardless of what you think of the album, it deserves the same fair chance as all the double albums you mentioned above.

Online MirrorMask

Stick with the original option. Regardless of what you think of the album, it deserves the same fair chance as all the double albums you mentioned above.

This one
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Mladen

Voting for the second one, I guess. Like I said in the B-Sides poll, I like survivors following well-established rules - top two advance to the finals, the third one goes to consolation, whether the album has six or thirty six songs.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
First option for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream

This one

Yup..

Mostly because this still doesn't make ANY sense:

Voting for the second one, I guess. Like I said in the B-Sides poll, I like survivors following well-established rules - top two advance to the finals, the third one goes to consolation, whether the album has six or thirty six songs.
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline The Letter M

A bump for anyone who hasn't voted yet. We've only gotten 27 voters, but I know the TA Survivor has had at most 35 voters, so I'm hoping the other 8 or so folks get around to voting in this in the next day before it closes!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline krands85

Top 2, though my choice is somewhat influenced by the results of the TA survivor. If the 3rd placed tracks aren't good enough to get through the consolation round (which I don't think they are personally), then they aren't likely to make any impact on the finals anyway.

If tracks 3-6 were among my favourite, I may have seen things differently  :lol

EDIT:
I think a good option for altering how many tracks from each album advance to the finals, could be assigning the number based on the the position of the albums in the album survivor. eg. the top 4 rated albums get 3 songs into the finals and 1 into the consolation. The next 4 get 2 into the finals and 2 into the consolation. The rest get 2 into the finals and 1 into consolation. But maybe something like that would make things too long and complicated  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:38:19 PM by krands85 »
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ToT-147

I think a good option for altering how many tracks from each album advance to the finals, could be assigning the number based on the the position of the albums in the album survivor. eg. the top 4 rated albums get 3 songs into the finals and 1 into the consolation. The next 4 get 2 into the finals and 2 into the consolation. The rest get 2 into the finals and 1 into consolation. But maybe something like that would make things too long and complicated  :biggrin:

Also, you're assuming that the chosen songs from the "worst" albums are worst than the ones in the "best" albums..

Offline The Letter M

Also, you're assuming that the chosen songs from the "worst" albums are worst than the ones in the "best" albums..

True, if an album like FII does poorly, then the chances of it's better songs going into the Finals are slimmer than say, an album like SFAM, which is more popular as a whole, but would then get half of it's songs to move on.

Honestly, the only TRUE way to do a completely fair survivor would to put ALL of the songs into a single survivor, and vote them all off one by one...which would take forever.

-Marc.

Online MirrorMask

It depends band by band. With Iron Maiden for example it's unbalanced to have Number of the Beast, Seventh Son and Virtual XI all getting only 2 songs to the finals, with all of them being 8 songs albums.

Speaking generally for (future) survivors I'm all for the idea of an album survivor deciding how many extra songs the best albums will get.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ToT-147

Honestly, the only TRUE way to do a completely fair survivor would to put ALL of the songs into a single survivor, and vote them all off one by one...which would take forever.

AND it'd have the same faults or irregularities than any survivor, and all that to only know the opinion of 40 or so DT fans.. I think for these kind of reasons was why the League existed (which it has its own faults too), but I guess most of us are OK with the current survivor format.. Not need to change anything, and even less at this point..

Offline The Letter M

By ONE VOTE, option 1 wins, which means we go with the Original Plan of taking The Astonishing's top 4 songs and advancing them to the Finals, and taking 5th and 6th place to go to the Consolation Rounds.

-Marc.

Offline ToT-147