Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305643 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2835 on: September 24, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »
That lady in TSF shirt is gorgeous.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #2836 on: September 24, 2017, 01:50:22 PM »
That lady in TSF shirt is gorgeous.

That is Eric Gillette's wife and yes she is very pretty!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2837 on: September 24, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11RxkxW6EWc

Sherinian and Portnoy talk about Derek's firing from DT on Eddie Trunk. Some interesting stuff, including Portnoy claiming he felt the worst about it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2838 on: September 24, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »

Sherinian and Portnoy talk about Derek's firing from DT on Eddie Trunk. Some interesting stuff, including Portnoy claiming he felt the worst about it.

From the other thread.

"You know Derek, I actually wanted you to stay in the band. It was the other guys who wanted you out."

Nice job Zook.

Seriously, that interview was disgusting.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2839 on: September 24, 2017, 06:07:45 PM »

From the man himself: https://youtu.be/59tLv13dWC4?t=34m55s
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2840 on: September 24, 2017, 06:09:52 PM »
I didn't realize that on the album cover, DS is the eagle and MP is the lion.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2841 on: September 24, 2017, 06:41:59 PM »

I don't know, I always unsderstood that MP thought that Jordan was musically better for the band, although he liked Derek a lot as a person and felt bad to fire him because of that. Two things that aren't contradictory IMO. It's obivious that MP was veeery uncomfortable with the question in this interview and kind of put "the blame" on the band. To me the more surprising was the fact that MP and Derek dind't talk about it before start a new band.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2842 on: September 24, 2017, 06:46:24 PM »
Mike Portnoy is about to go on at sold out NYC shattered fortress show. The best of times is on the PA.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2843 on: September 24, 2017, 06:52:22 PM »
 :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #2844 on: September 24, 2017, 07:11:15 PM »

:tdwn

The more I hear from these guys the less I like them. It's sad actually, because I was a huge fan of MP and always like DS as well. But just the way that they deal with stuff is so off-putting. The way MP talks about "the Canadian", DS saying "we were the only personality in the band"...they really have no class, and it's sad to see.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2845 on: September 24, 2017, 07:17:29 PM »
I'm kind of curious to see how this develops though, because it looks like we basically now have two guys who have been harbouring massive grudges against Dream Theater and who are now feeding into and off each other's resentment. When SoA turns out not to be very successful (as I think will be the case), it'll be interesting to see if these subtle and not-so-subtle digs at the band escalate, and they become like some bitter old couple who spend half their lives whining to each other about the past.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2846 on: September 24, 2017, 10:08:38 PM »

Or to take it a step further, we could refer to the book Lifting Shadows.  I can look up specifics later but I think Mike said that he and JP decided they wanted Jordan and then went to the other guys but were met with some resistance, especially from John Myung.

So once again I think Mike is being disingenuous. I don't doubt that he felt horrible but to say he felt the worst out of all of them is a half truth at best.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2847 on: September 24, 2017, 10:22:53 PM »
Interesting Trunk interview. But even in that 20th anniversary documentary, Portnoy didn't sound exactly enthusiastic about "letting Derek go".

The more I hear from these guys the less I like them. It's sad actually, because I was a huge fan of MP and always like DS as well. But just the way that they deal with stuff is so off-putting. The way MP talks about "the Canadian", DS saying "we were the only personality in the band"...they really have no class, and it's sad to see.

I don't think Portnoy was trying to insult LaBrie. Sherinian sounds like a bit of a douche though.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2848 on: September 24, 2017, 10:25:02 PM »

Or to take it a step further, we could refer to the book Lifting Shadows.  I can look up specifics later but I think Mike said that he and JP decided they wanted Jordan and then went to the other guys but were met with some resistance, especially from John Myung.

So once again I think Mike is being disingenuous. I don't doubt that he felt horrible but to say he felt the worst out of all of them is a half truth at best.

Time to send Mike and Derek a copy of the book  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2849 on: September 24, 2017, 11:13:16 PM »
Seeing some coments here I wondered what I would think. Well , it wasn't that bad. Yes Mike kind of dodges the ball and tries to rewrite history in his favor but I did not think of the Canadian comment as noteworthy at all.

Dereks comments though....
Mike says: We were the two Rock'n Roll personalities in the band.
To which Derek says: We were the only personalities in the band and there was only room for one.

Not only did he take a shot at DT but to me it seems he also took a shot at MP (the only personality left after DS was fired).

Will still listen to the album when it comes out but my view of Derek gets lower everytime I hear him speak.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2850 on: September 25, 2017, 12:45:20 AM »
Seeing some coments here I wondered what I would think. Well , it wasn't that bad. Yes Mike kind of dodges the ball and tries to rewrite history in his favor but I did not think of the Canadian comment as noteworthy at all.

To which Derek says: We were the only personalities in the band and there was only room for one.

Not only did he take a shot at DT but to me it seems he also took a shot at MP (the only personality left after DS was fired).

Will still listen to the album when it comes out but my view of Derek gets lower everytime I hear him speak.

If being a "personality" means : spitting on his bandmate's amps, wearing panther shirts, having a cauliflower haircut, drinking and taking drugs...I'm glad the other 3 were not "personalities".
And frankly, MP should listen to The Mirror again, especially the "Hypocrites..." part.

B.Lee

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:22:16 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline majo

« Reply #2851 on: September 25, 2017, 02:18:55 AM »

I don't know, I always unsderstood that MP thought that Jordan was musically better for the band, although he liked Derek a lot as a person and felt bad to fire him because of that. Two things that aren't contradictory IMO. It's obivious that MP was veeery uncomfortable with the question in this interview and kind of put "the blame" on the band. To me the more surprising was the fact that MP and Derek dind't talk about it before start a new band.

nah mate, LIES are just the misunderstood "Del Fuvio jokes"  :facepalm:
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2852 on: September 25, 2017, 02:46:21 AM »
"Hey Mike! What are you doing today, man?"
"Rewriting history... and you?"

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2853 on: September 25, 2017, 03:14:17 AM »

:clap:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline efx

« Reply #2854 on: September 25, 2017, 04:00:31 AM »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2855 on: September 25, 2017, 04:19:59 AM »
When you're deep in a hole it's best to stop digging...

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2856 on: September 25, 2017, 05:19:43 AM »
Well, saw The Shattered Fortress last night. It was a really well done, and the Eric Gilette was a beast. The stuff they did from Scenes was out of this world, one of the best concert experiences I've had thus far. And I have to say, seeing a DT audience so damn energetic was nice. Previous DT shows I've been to, it feels like your standing around with a bunch of Terra Cotta warriors.

Of course, I have to play a "never enough" card, so here goes. Aside from a few minutes, I thought the 12 Step Suite was really overbearing, and by the end of This Dying Soul I'd completely lost my buzz from the intro. I didn't really get back into the show until the Encore. Also, while the band and Haken guys were really tight, Mike himself seemed quite sloppy.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2857 on: September 25, 2017, 06:39:24 AM »
I'm starting to understand, I think, what many peoples expectations were/are for the album. I feel like many were in the earlier DT days type sound.

With MP running the show, I expected nothing less than something in the vein of the last few DT albums he played on which also seem to have a lot of dislike amongst the fan base, but maybe with an even harder edge. Especially with Derek involved.

I guess I'm more surprised than anything else by the reaction. My brain was already thinking Systematic Chaos / Black Clouds type of vibe.

Just spit-balling here.

That makes sense because Chaos and Black Clouds was the direction that MP wanted to go while ADTOE was where JP and Jordan wanted to go. I personally prefer the ADTOE direction but I know many fans liked the direction they were going in.

Ya know, a lot of people say that but there is no real proof that Mike was responsible for that direction.  In fact, in the SC documentary he said he intentionally held back from any sort of plan so they could see where the music went.  I think John was far more responsible than people give him credit (or blame) for.  For the record, SC is one of my two favorite albums along with ADTOE. 

Obviously Mike is responsible for some of the heaviness especially the growl vocals but I think the fact that DT continues to play Dark Eternal Night shows that the rest of the guys were pretty happy with the album. 

Exactly.  John is and has always been the primary writer on DT's albums.  As a result, the albums have always taken on whatever musical vibe he was writing to.  Not that Mike didn't have a lot of input as well or that Jordan didn't compose.  But John has always been the primary composer.

JP is the primary composer but I always got the impression (and this is not based on any actual inside knowledge, just my impression) that Mike kind of steered the band in the direction he felt they should go.  What I'm saying is that (imo) he may not have written all the music but he decided what type of songs they should write.  There is a marked difference to me from the last few MP albums which featured some fairly contemporary metal songs with crazy prog instrumental parts crowbarred in, compared to the MM albums which are much more melodic and the crazy stuff feels a little more like part of the song.  Yes there is still plenty of metal on ADTOE and DT12 but it feels much more like a nerdy prog band again rather than the overtly metal band they had become in the later MP years.  Definitely can see a lot of the metal kids who got on board in that era are no longer at the shows.

I'm not necessarily saying metal is bad and prog is good as I've always enjoyed both sides of DT.  Systematic Chaos for example had some great metal stuff and ITPOE would be up there as an all time classic DT song if it wasn't for that "Dark Master" section.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2858 on: September 25, 2017, 07:13:25 AM »
I found a subreddit that's actually empty

https://www.reddit.com/r/SonsOfApollo/

wait a min-
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2859 on: September 25, 2017, 07:38:55 AM »

:rollin

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2860 on: September 25, 2017, 08:49:12 AM »

I agree about MP, He was just obviously and awkwardly trying to save face. he didn't deny it was part his decision too. The Canadian comment was more about where he lives. As far as Derek's comments it is his personality. He just think he's being funny but doesn't get or care that it comes across as being insulting or sounding like a jerk. It's just immature but not really harmful. It does diminish my interest in the band. Part of liking a band is liking the members. I think Rush had spoiled me. That being said I am curious to what they come up with musically.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2861 on: September 25, 2017, 09:35:24 AM »
Well, saw The Shattered Fortress last night. It was a really well done, and the Eric Gilette was a beast. The stuff they did from Scenes was out of this world, one of the best concert experiences I've had thus far. And I have to say, seeing a DT audience so damn energetic was nice. Previous DT shows I've been to, it feels like your standing around with a bunch of Terra Cotta warriors.

Of course, I have to play a "never enough" card, so here goes. Aside from a few minutes, I thought the 12 Step Suite was really overbearing, and by the end of This Dying Soul I'd completely lost my buzz from the intro. I didn't really get back into the show until the Encore. Also, while the band and Haken guys were really tight, Mike himself seemed quite sloppy.

I was there too, and I'm not sure I agree about the "sloppy" (meaning, I literally am not sure).   I agree on the Suite, though, but that for me was because it was hard to hear Ross, so the melodies that keep that piece from being too much weren't there. 

During the short break where Mike talked to the crowd, he walked through his relationship with New York and asked people to cheer if they were at certain shows in the band's history.  At one point, he asked about a show (I forget which one) and looked up to the family section in the balcony and said "I know Marlene and Rena were there!"  I didn't see anyone from the balcony (I was right below it, so they were above me).  Anyone know if that was Rena Petrucci there or a massive coincidence? 

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2862 on: September 25, 2017, 09:43:30 AM »

I was there too, and I'm not sure I agree about the "sloppy" (meaning, I literally am not sure).   I agree on the Suite, though, but that for me was because it was hard to hear Ross, so the melodies that keep that piece from being too much weren't there. 

During the short break where Mike talked to the crowd, he walked through his relationship with New York and asked people to cheer if they were at certain shows in the band's history.  At one point, he asked about a show (I forget which one) and looked up to the family section in the balcony and said "I know Marlene and Rena were there!"  I didn't see anyone from the balcony (I was right below it, so they were above me).  Anyone know if that was Rena Petrucci there or a massive coincidence?

Certainly assumed she was there, though like you couldn't verify.  It did strike me that, for all of the nonsense going on, he was gracious towards his former bandmates in the talking spot.

Likewise, couldn't say if the drums were sloppy, not my area of expertise.  But they were (unsurprisingly) way up in the mix.

Normally, if there are songs I'm not wild about on an album, seeing them live can make me like them better.  But Repentance...still completely indifferent to it after seeing it.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2863 on: September 25, 2017, 09:45:48 AM »
Maybe his wife was in attendance, and the fact that Rena Petrucci was at that other concert, was enough to warrant a mention even if she wasn't actually present. But it would be cool if they had both attended together last night.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2864 on: September 25, 2017, 09:46:16 AM »
I cannot answer as to whether she was there.  But I can say without hesitation that in my communications with Rena, both in writing and in person, she has never shown even a hint of negativity about Mike, Marlene, or anyone in that camp.  So it would not surprise me in the least if she was there and showing support.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2865 on: September 25, 2017, 10:00:35 AM »
I remember someone posted a picture, either here or on facebook, of a couple fans who ran into Marlene and Rena at a DT show from The Astonishing tour (yes, you read that correctly), so I don't think Rena would have any problem attending one of Mike's shows. Wish I could find that pic/post again.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2866 on: September 25, 2017, 10:09:14 AM »
IMO, whatever issues exist with Mike and DT, it has less to do these days with MP/JP than it does with MP/JLB, and the fact that DT wants to be loyal to MM. JP and MP were friends for too long to not have time heal some of these wounds. They know they work well together. But JP isn't going to upheave DT at this point, and I don't blame him.

If MM decided to leave Dream Theater and return to teaching, however, MP would be back with them, IMO.

Anyway, very much looking forward to the Sons of Apollo record. I've been avoiding most of the preview stuff. Can't wait to just put it on and crank it up.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline DT2003

« Reply #2867 on: September 25, 2017, 10:12:51 AM »

Certainly assumed she was there, though like you couldn't verify.  It did strike me that, for all of the nonsense going on, he was gracious towards his former bandmates in the talking spot.

Likewise, couldn't say if the drums were sloppy, not my area of expertise.  But they were (unsurprisingly) way up in the mix.

Normally, if there are songs I'm not wild about on an album, seeing them live can make me like them better.  But Repentance...still completely indifferent to it after seeing it.

I was there as well, and was basically in the middle of the floor section and I looked up when Mike said that about Rena and couldn't really tell, but based on what he said I can't imagine she wasn't there. I thought the show was great and I love all of the songs in the 12 step suite so that part of the show was fine for me.  Eric was phenomenal (as always) and I was really impressed with the guys from Haken and have to check them out more. As far as Mike, I wouldn't necessarily say he was sloppy, but he certainly wasn't as tight as he used to be playing those songs, but that's understandable being that he doesn't play them on a regular basis anymore. All in all it was a great show! 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2868 on: September 25, 2017, 11:45:30 AM »

Couldn't confirm Rena was there, but it definitely seemed like Mike's entire extended family was on the VIP VIP balcony (as in there was another VIP section on the balcony).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2869 on: September 25, 2017, 12:42:19 PM »
No question on which Canadian he hates now...

"The 3 of us and the Canadian." Fuck off.