Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305496 times)

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #1960 on: September 13, 2017, 03:04:40 PM »
Quote from: Lowdz
I'd be surprised if those two writing/recording sessions take more than a fortnight with the way they work. And FC has Neil Morse 😀

Indeed... and I for one wish they would take more time and really work until they have something great. What I have heard of Sons of Apollo makes me think it could have become much better given a few more weeks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1961 on: September 13, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »
I heard in a podcast with Derek that all members have cleared their schedules in 2018 to allow for touring with Sons of Apollo. But isn't Mike also recording Metal Allegiance II and Flying Colors III? I know that FC tours albeit for shorter periods, so how will this work?

Mike always finds a way. The past clearly shows that he has a thing for finding the perfect timeframe for everything so I wouldn't worry about that.

Well.... the way he does that are usually those one-week "write, record,produce" sessions. I personally feel that while it allows him to juggle 5 bands at once, it eventually harms the product.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1962 on: September 13, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »
I heard in a podcast with Derek that all members have cleared their schedules in 2018 to allow for touring with Sons of Apollo. But isn't Mike also recording Metal Allegiance II and Flying Colors III? I know that FC tours albeit for shorter periods, so how will this work?

Mike always finds a way. The past clearly shows that he has a thing for finding the perfect timeframe for everything so I wouldn't worry about that.

Well.... the way he does that are usually those one-week "write, record,produce" sessions. I personally feel that while it allows him to juggle 5 bands at once, it eventually harms the product.

My game was off when I was dating 3 girls in my 20's.  My quality was off juggling all 3. :lol
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:17:51 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1963 on: September 13, 2017, 04:52:33 PM »
They'll sell a couple thousand copies, make one, maybe two albums, and then it'll be over.

They will also record the second album in the basement of the Alamo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1964 on: September 13, 2017, 08:53:39 PM »

At the meet and greet for Morsefest last week, the other members of the Neal Morse Band reportedly confirmed that there will be a new album from them sometime in 2018, with Portnoy saying he would find a way and the time to make it work.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1965 on: September 13, 2017, 09:01:47 PM »

At the meet and greet for Morsefest last week, the other members of the Neal Morse Band reportedly confirmed that there will be a new album from them sometime in 2018, with Portnoy saying he would find a way and the time to make it work.

With technology being so good these days they are sharing the musical ideas via email and what not anyway. On one of the 'making of' DVDs from Neal's albums.....I think it was Momentums.....per the conversation within I ascertained that by the time MP shows up he has a pretty good idea of how the songs are shaping up and 'what' he's going to record for those songs.

There is certainly still some on site writing involved but when MP, Billy, And Eric show up they have a good idea and direction they know they're taking.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1966 on: September 14, 2017, 12:13:54 AM »

In his own words from his twitter a few weeks ago I think.

One has nothing to do with the other...haven't I proved I'm more than capable of juggling them ALL??
SOA, TWD, NMB, FC, TA, MA, TSF, TS, etc

AMOB?

However they made some references to DT that were hilarious (like concidering to do a Metropolis pt 3 just to piss the overzealous fans off).

Nicolas comes back as a zombie to have his revenge on the hypnotherapist?

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1967 on: September 14, 2017, 12:18:45 AM »
I love Mike's playing. And Derek's. But they both have made themselves look pretty bad with their comments in the last little while. This kind of thing does affect how I feel about music - to a greater degree than I'd like, tbh. I'm not really very interested in it now.

Don't feel bad, how can it *not* affect you?  There are many of us who feel the same way.

The only thing I feel bad about is that the other guys won't be getting my support all cuz of one person and that's not fair to them but that's what happens when people think their actions have no consequences.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1968 on: September 14, 2017, 12:54:32 AM »
However they made some references to DT that were hilarious (like concidering to do a Metropolis pt 3 just to piss the overzealous fans off).

:rollin  That would be hilarious.

I actually think this *would* be hilarious (and awesome)... if only someone hadn't destroyed any kind of friendship that could have been mutually beneficial and a lot of fun with a friendly rivalry and trash talk.

When DS and CD both came back and played on WDADRU I remember thinking how awesome it is that they can all remain friends and still play music together.  Oh well, it could have been so great for everyone... musicians, fans, media.  Oh well.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1969 on: September 14, 2017, 08:13:24 AM »
I wouldn't put it past SOA to very take various creative jabs at Dream Theater. Just observing MP and DS, and what they say and write publicly, I could absolutely see them doing something. They wouldn't seriously do Metropolis Pt. 3. But I could see them building off an old DT tune, using a lyric line MP wrote as a new song title to draw the connection, and revisiting motifs of an old song in the new track.

They'd probably couch it as a nod to the fans to be politically correct, but we're not dumb, obviously it would have a double meaning.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1970 on: September 14, 2017, 08:16:25 AM »
Well, they could do a 60 seconds instrumental and call it M3tropolis, or something like that  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1971 on: September 14, 2017, 08:44:22 AM »

I actually think this *would* be hilarious (and awesome)... if only someone hadn't destroyed any kind of friendship that could have been mutually beneficial and a lot of fun with a friendly rivalry and trash talk.

When DS and CD both came back and played on WDADRU I remember thinking how awesome it is that they can all remain friends and still play music together.  Oh well, it could have been so great for everyone... musicians, fans, media.  Oh well.

The big difference is DT will go down in Prog history and Sons of Apollo will go down as another side MP project with AMOB, Flying Colors, Winery Dogs....

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1972 on: September 14, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »

The big difference is DT will go down in Prog history and Sons of Apollo will go down as another side MP project with AMOB, Flying Colors, Winery Dogs....

Couln't have said it better.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1973 on: September 14, 2017, 09:35:51 AM »
You guys are being so grumpy. :lol

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not talking about everyone, or about being critical in general. Plenty of valid points being made, but also a disproportionate amount of grumpiness too.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:04:31 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1974 on: September 14, 2017, 09:45:32 AM »

Seems to me MP will be delighted if DT ends up in "Prog history" since he was such a huge part of their success...

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1975 on: September 14, 2017, 09:52:27 AM »

No kidding. I get it's a discussion forum but comments are being rehashed time and time again.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1976 on: September 14, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »

No kidding. I get it's a discussion forum but comments are being rehashed time and time again.

I admit I come across as grumpy some times.

Admitting you have a problem is the 1st step to recovery. :)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1977 on: September 14, 2017, 10:18:30 AM »

Does your last name start with W?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1978 on: September 14, 2017, 10:19:34 AM »

Seems to me MP will be delighted if DT ends up in "Prog history" since he was such a huge part of their success...

Agreed. He was a big part of their success. I truthfully think he thought they would fail without him though.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1979 on: September 14, 2017, 10:21:56 AM »

Does your last name start with W?

No.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1980 on: September 14, 2017, 10:25:04 AM »
Aww, I thought it was a clever AA reference. Ah well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1981 on: September 14, 2017, 10:30:32 AM »
Aww, I thought it was a clever AA reference. Ah well.

It actually was. :)

It struck me after I sent my image.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1982 on: September 14, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »
 :lol

Bill your avatar suits you then!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1983 on: September 14, 2017, 11:13:58 AM »
:lol

Bill your avatar suits you then!

Yes, I guess for this topic. :) ...I mean  >:(

That is my avatar for my fantasy baseball team and I figure what the heck use it here as well.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1984 on: September 14, 2017, 01:13:05 PM »
I wouldn't put it past SOA to very take various creative jabs at Dream Theater. Just observing MP and DS, and what they say and write publicly, I could absolutely see them doing something. They wouldn't seriously do Metropolis Pt. 3. But I could see them building off an old DT tune, using a lyric line MP wrote as a new song title to draw the connection, and revisiting motifs of an old song in the new track.

They'd probably couch it as a nod to the fans to be politically correct, but we're not dumb, obviously it would have a double meaning.  :lol

They could do Metropolis pt. 3... fine... I couldn't think of a more vapid creative exercise tbh.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1985 on: September 14, 2017, 02:52:30 PM »
If they really wanted to be bold they would do Metropolis 4 so they would leave everyone wondering when there was going to be a Metropolis 3. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1986 on: September 14, 2017, 03:04:17 PM »
If they really wanted to be bold they would do Metropolis 4 so they would leave everyone wondering when there was going to be a Metropolis 3.

This is trolling on the next level  :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1987 on: September 14, 2017, 03:54:01 PM »
I love Mike's playing. And Derek's. But they both have made themselves look pretty bad with their comments in the last little while. This kind of thing does affect how I feel about music - to a greater degree than I'd like, tbh. I'm not really very interested in it now.

Don't feel bad, how can it *not* affect you?  There are many of us who feel the same way.

The only thing I feel bad about is that the other guys won't be getting my support all cuz of one person and that's not fair to them but that's what happens when people think their actions have no consequences.

It's always been that way with me. And these days, with so much music to explore and musicians being so accessible, I guess cracks and traits are more obvious.

I do seriously love Mike's drumming though. Just so we don't forget that.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #1988 on: September 14, 2017, 07:20:25 PM »

It's always been that way with me. And these days, with so much music to explore and musicians being so accessible, I guess cracks and traits are more obvious.

I do seriously love Mike's drumming though. Just so we don't forget that.

I'll just add that's the way it works for everyone. If anyone tells you they can separate what they know about musicians entirely from the music they produce and not let it affect their listening experience in some way, you know you're dealing with someone not introspective enough to realize that is simply impossible. They deny their very humanity. The subjective experience makes perfect compartmentalization an unattainable ideal. Even image affects our opinions of bands and, in some way, their music. I mean, Therion was way cooler before they started dressing like losers too lame to gain admittance to a steam punk convention, right?

If Decapitated was your favorite band, would you be as psyched for their next album as you were last week...?

Anyway, this is why I try to learn as little as possible about actors or writers I like. It can be more difficult with musicians when you spend too much time on goddamn forums. I'll never get over finding out one of my favorite musicians and lyricists, Paul Craddick, is a pseudo-intellectual tool of the worst kind.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #1989 on: September 14, 2017, 07:52:25 PM »
I'll just add that's the way it works for everyone. If anyone tells you they can separate what they know about musicians entirely from the music they produce and not let it affect their listening experience in some way, you know you're dealing with someone not introspective enough to realize that is simply impossible. They deny their very humanity. The subjective experience makes perfect compartmentalization an unattainable ideal. Even image affects our opinions of bands and, in some way, their music. I mean, Therion was way cooler before they started dressing like losers too lame to gain admittance to a steam punk convention, right?

If Decapitated was your favorite band, would you be as psyched for their next album as you were last week...?

Anyway, this is why I try to learn as little as possible about actors or writers I like. It can be more difficult with musicians when you spend too much time on goddamn forums. I'll never get over finding out one of my favorite musicians and lyricists, Paul Craddick, is a pseudo-intellectual tool of the worst kind.

I almost agree with you, i think there could be people who can separate both things, tbh It's not the case for me. I see what you're saying, for example, when many people prefer metal bands where the musicians look like "real" metalheads. Many people dismiss metal musicians when they are short-haired/obese/etc or if they're not wearing "metal" clothes. Maybe this is more true in the local scenes, or at least that's what I've observed here in Mexico. Maybe it's not exactly what we are discussing, but going back to the subject, i think it's difficult (at least for me) to separate the impression I'm getting (because of the tweets) and my excitement about the upcoming SoA's album.

A couple of days ago I saw MP's SF live in Mexico and I know that my excitement about watching MP play wasn't what it would usually be (he was my favorite drummer for a long time, before I listen to Mangini and some others), and I know it's because of everything he's been writing online. I was far more excited about Haken (they were the opening act that night). Of course it was awesome to hear those DT songs and the band put a great show (Eric Gillete is awesome!). It was the same situation for me when I saw The Neal Morse Band in june.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1990 on: September 14, 2017, 08:05:24 PM »
I don't think it's that black and white.  I haven't been a fan of Mike Portnoy the person since the early 00s, yet I still have bought tons of CDs he has been a part of, and quite a few of them released since then would be on my list of all-time favorites.  I think Eddie Van Halen is a piece of maggot shit, but I still enjoyed the heck out of the last album they released (and can still listen to VH and enjoy it without letting my dislike of EVH the person get in the way).

Now, when it comes to live shows, that is a little different.  I had no interest in traveling to see Dream Theater from 2003-2010, but I have done so twice in the Mangini era (Chicago and KC, both on the DT12 tour).  And I will never spend another cent to see Van Halen live (unless EVH makes serious amends with Michael Anthony and includes him).

This might make some of you laugh. but at Morsefest last week, when they were doing the end of show applauses for each individual member of the Neal Morse band, my brother (who doesn't pay attention to any online silliness, but simply thinks Portnoy is annoying because of the way he acts at live shows) and I both loudly clapped and hooted and hollered for Neal, Bill, Eric and Randy.  For Portnoy, we left our arms at our sides and stayed silent.  He didn't deserve our applause. :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1991 on: September 14, 2017, 08:08:11 PM »
Kev bringing politics back in the music. LOL

Samantha whatever said I don't like Mike the person I still fall on cuz I love the music he does and I love his playing and can separate both.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1992 on: September 14, 2017, 08:11:22 PM »
Um, what?  :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1993 on: September 14, 2017, 08:18:16 PM »
Time to bust out the Kingshmegland decoder ring.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1994 on: September 14, 2017, 08:25:28 PM »
Goddammit.  :lol

I should look before I hit send. LOL What I was trying to say is I can separate what I don't like about Mike online compared to the music. I still follow his music.  I just don't pay attention to his online narrative.