Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305498 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of
« Reply #1050 on: August 11, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »
On the itunes page Figaro's Whore is the only track marked as having explicit lyrics.

See Acapella song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #1051 on: August 11, 2017, 12:20:26 PM »
I liked it! It wasn't groundbreaking, but it was good. I can see listening to it on occasion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1052 on: August 11, 2017, 12:37:10 PM »
Pretty good song.  The vocals and vocal melodies did nothing for me, but the main riff was good and the guitar solo was nice.  Maybe it will be a grower, but the singer's voice does nothing for me at all after one listen.  That could change.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1053 on: August 11, 2017, 12:39:26 PM »
I really like JSS, and thought the song was pretty good. I have high hopes for this project.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1054 on: August 11, 2017, 12:39:58 PM »
Symphony X with a Derek Sherinian solo.

You're now at least the second person I have seen post something like that, so I have to ask:  What makes you say that?  I'm not hearing anything at all in this that made me think Symphony X, so I'm genuinely curious what makes a couple of you see similarities.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #1055 on: August 11, 2017, 12:40:53 PM »

You're now at least the second person I have seen post something like that, so I have to ask:  What makes you say that?  I'm not hearing anything at all in this that made me think Symphony X, so I'm genuinely curious what makes a couple of you see similarities.

I can hear some modern SX in the chorus. Maybe a little in the main riff. It's not very strong, but I can hear it a bit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline efx

« Reply #1056 on: August 11, 2017, 12:55:45 PM »
I don't hear it that much in the main intro riff or verse but the prechorus/chorus sounds just like modern day SX to me.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1057 on: August 11, 2017, 12:57:01 PM »

The riffs and the singing primarily. I am thinking along the lines of the album with Dehumanize. That gruff, somewhat bombastic  singing. The part where they sing "hold on" just reminds me of symphony x. By the way that album, although I am pulling a blank on it's name is my favorite symphony x.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1058 on: August 11, 2017, 12:58:05 PM »
Musically I don't think it sounds like Symphony X, but I could hear Russell Allen singing this (much better).

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1059 on: August 11, 2017, 01:08:04 PM »
I hate to draw ANY conclusions from track lengths.  But I like that the songs are long enough to allow them to develop, but the track times aren't so overly long that it looks like they might meander all over the place.  Signs of the Time is a good example of having a song long enough to have some interesting parts and enough development to take you on a bit of a journey without overstaying its welcome.

This is interesting, there's 4 songs clocking around 4 or 5 minutes. I guess it depends how much it is packed in the song. For example, The Gift of Music is a short song and it really feels longer with all the elements that has in it.
I read in some interview a time ago that Derek always prefered shorter albums and it's interesting to notice that this entire album clocks on 57:38, what, for comparation, it's shorter than the DT albums in which Portnoy/Petrucci were producers.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1060 on: August 11, 2017, 01:09:55 PM »
I guess MP has jumped to Youtube to defend himself.

shawn murphy2 hours ago
Is Portnoy still in the band or did he leave already to join another band ?

I'm serious.
Hide replies
 Chris Reid
Chris Reid1 hour ago
shawn murphy this is a full time thing for him. He said there is going to be a 2018 tour too.
 TheClay005
TheClay00552 minutes ago
Chris Reid he said that already to winery dogs. Id prefer the dogs than this new band. He said winery dogs is the thing. But then he jump from band to band.
Reply 1     
 Chris Reid
Chris Reid41 minutes ago
TheClay005 I love the winery dogs too, but I would like to hear more from these guys. Singles really don't represent a band. And one of the main reasons that the winery dogs are on hiatus is because Ritchie kotzen wanted to focus on his solo career for a little bit. But we will see what all happens in the future. Mike is going to have to slow down eventually or it will get to his health.

Mike Portnoy12 minutes ago
I do them ALL!!!
Of the 28 bands I've played with I only ever "left" two: DT (after 25 years) and AMOB (scheduling issues at the time w TWD)..
I can easily juggle multiple bands and have for many years now

SONS OF APOLLO is what we are focused on for 2018...but
I still have The Winery Dogs, Neal Morse Band, Flying Colors, Metal Allegiance, Transatlantic and if Twisted Sister decides to play more, them as well....If I can handle my schedule, then why should you or any other troll out there give a shit??
I LOVE music and love playing with other musicians
Enjoy it ALL!!!!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1061 on: August 11, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »
He probably needs to stay off social media, but I don't really see anything wrong with what he said there.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1062 on: August 11, 2017, 01:53:36 PM »
Why is "left" in quotes?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: August 11, 2017, 02:00:17 PM »
I wonder why there's two different lenght for Signs of the Time in the tracklist info here:

https://www.insideoutshop.de/Item/Sons_Of_Apollo_-_Psychotic_Symphony_-Ltd-_2CD_Mediabook-/16367

2CD editions means one with vocals and one instrumental?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1064 on: August 11, 2017, 02:01:07 PM »
Why is "left" in quotes?

I am guessing it is because, although he ultimately had the say in leaving vs. being let go or only being a hired gun for a limited time, in both situations it was complicated and wasn't simply a matter of him unilaterally just packing his bags.  In the case of DT, for example, while it was his decision, I know he feels that, from his perspective, he didn't have a choice because he had a need that the band inflexibly (from his perspective) refused to meet. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1065 on: August 11, 2017, 02:02:32 PM »
I wonder why there's two different lenght for Signs of the Time in the tracklist info here:

https://www.insideoutshop.de/Item/Sons_Of_Apollo_-_Psychotic_Symphony_-Ltd-_2CD_Mediabook-/16367

2CD editions means one with vocals and one instrumental?
Hard to say.  It could be an alternative version.  Or the description could just be a mistake.  :dunno:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1066 on: August 11, 2017, 02:16:19 PM »
Why is "left" in quotes?

I am guessing it is because, although he ultimately had the say in leaving vs. being let go or only being a hired gun for a limited time, in both situations it was complicated and wasn't simply a matter of him unilaterally just packing his bags.  In the case of DT, for example, while it was his decision, I know he feels that, from his perspective, he didn't have a choice because he had a need that the band inflexibly (from his perspective) refused to meet. 

Even though he wanted the other guys to quit their jobs while he went off and continued making money.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1067 on: August 11, 2017, 02:19:17 PM »
Just heard the new track. I hate the low tuning on the guitar. Not enjoyable at all. It's why I can't enjoy recent Sym X. Also, JSS reminds me of Russell Allen, who does nothing for me. I hope JSS lets loose on the rest of the album. Can't believe this is the same guy on Marching Out.
But I loved the instrumental section. I will absolutely be getting this. So great to finally hear MP playing music that I actually find interesting. Only took 7 years..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1068 on: August 11, 2017, 02:19:37 PM »
Zook, I'm not arguing that his position was reasonable.  I'm just trying to articulate why I think he thinks it is more complicated than simply saying he left.  Without getting into whether his position on the subject is reasonable or justified (I don't think it is), I think he is right about it being more complicated than that.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1069 on: August 11, 2017, 02:20:12 PM »
He probably needs to stay off social media, but I don't really see anything wrong with what he said there.

I don't think he did either.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: August 11, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »
Why is "left" in quotes?

Even though he wanted the other guys to quit their jobs while he went off and continued making money.

Hiatus: a pause or gap in a sequence, series, or process.

Sounds very different than what you said.

PROBABLY Mike thought the other guys could do something with their own projects while on HIATUS (see above for definition) and still make money

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1071 on: August 11, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »
I want to order the vinyl for this, but so far I'm only seeing it on the InsideOut shop which means shipping from Europe to the US, no thanks.  Considering its a US-based band its a shame there's no better options, at least not yet.  maybe something will get added later

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1072 on: August 11, 2017, 02:29:16 PM »
Why is "left" in quotes?

PROBABLY Mike thought the other guys could do something with their own projects while on HIATUS (see above for definition) and still make money

He might have thought that, but how much money would they make in their relatively unknown side projects while Mike is making bank with Avenged Sevenfold.

If I took a hiatus from my job, I wouldn't get paid. He didn't ask to go on vacation, but I'm pretty sure musicians don't get vacation pay anyway. It was an unfair proposition.

@bosk: OK.

Online Adami

« Reply #1073 on: August 11, 2017, 02:33:18 PM »
I wonder what would have happened if he asked DT to keep touring with a fill in drummer for a bit.

Other bands seem to do that with no problem.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: August 11, 2017, 02:38:15 PM »
Why is "left" in quotes?

He might have thought that, but how much money would they make in their relatively unknown side projects while Mike is making bank with Avenged Sevenfold.

Not Mike's fault.

I guess making DT music it's ALL they want, and I know they have nothing to prove to anyone, but still, it's all about what we are guessing and nothing more.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1075 on: August 11, 2017, 02:41:26 PM »
Enough of the MP x DT situation...now it's time for tour speculation. I suggest a double bill of Chickenfoot and Sons of a Pollo. What do you guys think?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1076 on: August 11, 2017, 02:43:07 PM »
Why is "left" in quotes?

If I took a hiatus from my job, I wouldn't get paid. He didn't ask to go on vacation, but I'm pretty sure musicians don't get vacation pay anyway. It was an unfair proposition.

There's absolutely nothing stopping any of them from doing the same thing that he did in that situation. They're all world class musicians that could work with any number of higher paying acts under the right circumstances.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1077 on: August 11, 2017, 02:43:20 PM »
Enough of the MP x DT situation...now it's time for tour speculation. I suggest a double bill of Chickenfoot and Sons of a Pollo. What do you guys think?
:lol

I see that.

With special guest Jimmie's Chicken Shack.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1078 on: August 11, 2017, 02:44:56 PM »
With special guest Jimmie's Chicken Shack.

Seen them open for Fates Warning on the APSOG tour. Once was enough.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1079 on: August 11, 2017, 02:47:25 PM »

Vocal melody at 0:59 to 1:15 (and similar later) sounds just like a Symphony X melody.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: August 11, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »
I don't really hear any SX in that song either.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1081 on: August 11, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »
I hear some Symphony X, mainly the vox melodies.

song doesn't "wow" me, but its still better than anything on The Astonishing.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1082 on: August 11, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »
I hear some Symphony X, mainly the vox melodies.

song doesn't "wow" me, but its still better than anything on The Astonishing.

It's really not.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1083 on: August 11, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »
Why is "left" in quotes?

There's absolutely nothing stopping any of them from doing the same thing that he did in that situation. They're all world class musicians that could work with any number of higher paying acts under the right circumstances.

But why would they, they all are already in a high profile successful band. So MP can play with Avenged Sevenfold? A band is a relationship. Imagine Neil telling Geddy and Alex "Guys, I would like a break because I want to tour with Panic at the Disco"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1084 on: August 11, 2017, 03:05:09 PM »
I like everything except for the main riff, which has been done to death.
Love the keyboard and guitar solos.
Vocals elevate it from the typical prog metal vocal.
Drums are mixed too high, but that was always going to happen.