Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305477 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #1015 on: August 11, 2017, 08:36:22 AM »
 :o :o :o :o OMFG that track is awesome! I didn't expect that kind of riffage, the instrumental section is just mindblowing, especially Derek's.... I love it because it totally is what I wanted to hear but not believing that I will hear ;) and it even sounds very DTish, especially in second part of verse which sounds like FII ;) great job Sons Of Apollo, my awaiting for October is even more unpatient now  :tup

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1016 on: August 11, 2017, 08:36:40 AM »
01. God of The Sun (11:11) 
02. Coming Home (04:23) 
03. Signs of The Time (06:40) 
04. Labyrinth (09:11) 
05. Alive (05:10) 
06. Lost In Oblivion (04:38) 
07. Figaro's Whore (01:00) 
08. Divine Addiction (04:48) 
09. Opus Maximus (10:37) 
https://www.insideoutshop.de/Item/Sons_Of_Apollo_-_Psychotic_Symphony_-Standard_CD_Jewelcase-/16368
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1017 on: August 11, 2017, 08:41:37 AM »
Not sure if anyone can tell for sure, but is the main riff done on his fretless?  It has this slightly almost-off-key quality to it (in a good way), and I'm wondering if that's why.   
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1018 on: August 11, 2017, 08:52:10 AM »
01. God of The Sun (11:11)
02. Coming Home (04:23)
03. Signs of The Time (06:40)
04. Labyrinth (09:11)
05. Alive (05:10)
06. Lost In Oblivion (04:38)
07. Figaro's Whore (01:00)
08. Divine Addiction (04:48)
09. Opus Maximus (10:37)
https://www.insideoutshop.de/Item/Sons_Of_Apollo_-_Psychotic_Symphony_-Standard_CD_Jewelcase-/16368

Already posted, minus the durations  :azn:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1019 on: August 11, 2017, 08:55:19 AM »
I hate to draw ANY conclusions from track lengths.  But I like that the songs are long enough to allow them to develop, but the track times aren't so overly long that it looks like they might meander all over the place.  Signs of the Time is a good example of having a song long enough to have some interesting parts and enough development to take you on a bit of a journey without overstaying its welcome. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: August 11, 2017, 09:06:09 AM »
Not sure if anyone can tell for sure, but is the main riff done on his fretless?  It has this slightly almost-off-key quality to it (in a good way), and I'm wondering if that's why.

I don't know what the answer is but I wondered that myself. There's just a hint of being off-key. Creates a nice tension.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1021 on: August 11, 2017, 09:25:18 AM »

I think it is. Sounds like what Tim Donahue did with Madmen and Sinners (with JLB on vocals). He plays a fretless guitar. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1022 on: August 11, 2017, 09:28:22 AM »
Solid song though I'm not sold of the vocals either. This should have been MP's collaboration with Russell Allen.

I'm not too familiar with Soto or Allen but Soto actually reminds me a lot of Allen...which is to say I'm not overly impressed. 

I'll echo what many people said about the FII influence.  I didn't sense it until the solo sections and that actually may have been my favorite part. 

Pretty underwhelmed but I was also getting my hopes up for the project.  I guess the track is pretty decent overall but I was expecting something more. 

The lyrics though...probably the worst part. 

I think it is. Sounds like what Tim Donahue did with Madmen and Sinners (with JLB on vocals). He plays a fretless guitar. 

I love that album.  Such a weird/cool guitar sound.  Hopefully we'll see some more with a fretless on this project.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1023 on: August 11, 2017, 09:36:12 AM »
I've listened to it a couple times, and here are some of my quick thoughts:

- Can't shake off the feeling that the opening riff sounds just like Next to None... and that's not something good (for me).

- The vocals are fine. Not wow, but not bad either, just ok. Not my cup of tea.

- I don't like Billy's playing.

- The pre chorus sounds very good.

- Nothing too crazy about the instrumental part, but I still enjoyed it.

- Derek's solos, while very cool, sound exactly like every other solo he's recorded so far.

- The guitar solo spot is a direct attempt to pull of a FII. They had a softer, jazzier part for the solo just like LITS or TOT, but this one feels forced in some way. Still, Bumblefoot is an awesome guitar player and expect more of his amazing playing on the album.

So far it's not bad, but I'm not too crazy about it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1024 on: August 11, 2017, 09:41:14 AM »
I'm not too familiar with Soto or Allen but Soto actually reminds me a lot of Allen...which is to say I'm not overly impressed.

If you are saying he reminds you of Allen just because his vocals aren't your thing, then...well, okay.  But I don't get any similar vibes at all.  They don't really have much in common.

Pretty underwhelmed but I was also getting my hopes up for the project.  I guess the track is pretty decent overall but I was expecting something more. 

Yeah, I get it.  And...tastes and all.  But as I said somewhere else:  "Nothing groundbreaking.  But as a first “single” and first taste of the album, I like it.  Kind of reminds me of Constant Motion in a way.  Not because it sounds like it—it doesn’t.  But just because, knowing MP and judging from the comments he made about it, it seems like a song he choose to be the initial taste because it is a driving, rocking tune to give a taste of the overall album tempo, but probably not nearly the strongest song on the album."  Not sure if that helps or not, but just a thought I had.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1025 on: August 11, 2017, 10:16:11 AM »
Derek and Ron are the ones I like most on this song, the rest is pretty standard prometal for me, not bad but not groundbreaking, but it could be a grower.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1026 on: August 11, 2017, 10:17:29 AM »

If you are saying he reminds you of Allen just because his vocals aren't your thing, then...well, okay.  But I don't get any similar vibes at all.  They don't really have much in common.

I've heard some Symphony X but don't remember it but what I know Allen from most is Adrenaline Mob.  Obviously a good vocalist but his style never suited me.  And yes, the style does remind me of Soto's.  They both have been hailed as these great vocalists but have a more bluesy tone, not an outstanding range, and just overall underwhelming for me.  This based off of the 3-4 songs I've heard of Soto's and the dozen or so I've heard from Adrenaline Mob. 

I honestly see a similarity. 

Yeah, I get it.  And...tastes and all.  But as I said somewhere else:  "Nothing groundbreaking.  But as a first “single” and first taste of the album, I like it.  Kind of reminds me of Constant Motion in a way.  Not because it sounds like it—it doesn’t.  But just because, knowing MP and judging from the comments he made about it, it seems like a song he choose to be the initial taste because it is a driving, rocking tune to give a taste of the overall album tempo, but probably not nearly the strongest song on the album."  Not sure if that helps or not, but just a thought I had.
It's funny you say that.  Constant Motion is one of my favorite DT songs.  Same goes for Rite of Passage (my favorite from BC&SL, not overall catalog though).  Much easier to digest for an initial taste of the album.  I totally get why they released those first. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1027 on: August 11, 2017, 10:17:57 AM »
Pretty generic, honestly, and I listen to Circus Maximus. :D

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1028 on: August 11, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »
Shout out to really nice, signature MP cymbal work in the pre-choruses. 

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #1029 on: August 11, 2017, 10:42:23 AM »
It's fine and I will get the CD but it sounds like a cross between DT and S/X to me but with far less melody and cohesiveness. The rest may be better but as a "lead single" I far preferred "Enemy Inside" to this.

As for Portnoy's comments, you would think by now even he would be tired of over hyping everything he's involved with.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1030 on: August 11, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
I've heard some Symphony X but don't remember it but what I know Allen from most is Adrenaline Mob.  Obviously a good vocalist but his style never suited me.  And yes, the style does remind me of Soto's.  They both have been hailed as these great vocalists but have a more bluesy tone, not an outstanding range, and just overall underwhelming for me.  This based off of the 3-4 songs I've heard of Soto's and the dozen or so I've heard from Adrenaline Mob.

That explains a lot, actually.  I'm not advocating that you should like Allen more than you do.  You are entitled to like or not like whatever you choose, and I'm not trying to persuade you.  But if your take on him as a vocalist is derived solely from Adrenaline Mob, you are getting a VERY unfairly narrow view of his singing ability.  He has an incredible range and diverse palette. 

Soto also has a pretty solid range.  I agree about the bluesy tone.  But although he is more comfortable in a high baritone range, he has a warmth and fullness that allow him to sign some nice bass when called for, and he has the range to nail to incredible high notes, as long as the songs don't call for him to stay way up in a high tenor range for a super extended period of time.  Case in point (and I know Samsara disagrees with me on this), during his brief stint in Journey, he definitely has the range where he CAN sing Journey songs, and can go even higher than what is called for by those songs.  But he really struggled because that isn't his natural range, and his voice just couldn't handle being constantly up there in that range for an entire set of material.  But he's also a very accomplished, very diverse singer, although much less diverse than Allen.  He could sing the neo-classical operatic power-metal that was called for when he sang with Yngwie.  He can do the somewhat-Broadway-ish/power metal of Transiberian.  But his comfort zone is straightforward blues-ish hard rock.

So I think both guys, but Allen ESPECIALLY, are much, MUCH more diverse singers in terms of range and style than what you have heard.  But your explanation makes sense in terms of why you think as you do.

It's funny you say that.  Constant Motion is one of my favorite DT songs.  Same goes for Rite of Passage (my favorite from BC&SL, not overall catalog though).  Much easier to digest for an initial taste of the album.  I totally get why they released those first. 

Yeah, I love Constant Motion.  At first, I thought it was so-so, but I warmed up to it quickly and it became one of my favorites.  But I think that, even among those that like it, the argument can be made that it isn't necessarily the strongest or most diverse song on the album.  It was released as the album teaser for reasons that had less to do with it being a "strong" track than just as something rocking to generate interest.  I get the sense (rightly or wrongly) that this one is in a similar vein with relation to the rest of the album.  I guess we'll see.

As for Portnoy's comments, you would think by now even he would be tired of over hyping everything he's involved with.

???  Not sure why you would think that.  He's in the business of hyping everything he's involved with.  That's what musicians do (or should do).  I don't get your point.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1031 on: August 11, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »
My thoughts:

I love it more than I expected (not sure WHAT I expected to be honest, but it's a lot better than It could have been). It reminds me of like... FII era DT, aged 20 years, with a bit of  Symphony X sprinkled in. (I have listened to some SX on and off... over the years). I totally get the slight  Russel Allen feel, but it's slight.

And as others have said... if this is more of a straight up rocking preview of the album, and the best is yet to come, color me excite.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1032 on: August 11, 2017, 11:01:47 AM »
The sound is pretty good overall but the song is prog-by-numbers with a good dash of obvious FII derivation, and I don't like the lyrics at all, thematically they are bad and grammatically/narratively they don't make a lot of sense in some places.

Great to hear Mike and Derek as always, and I always liked JSS, my husband got me hooked on Ron Thal's stuff and he sounds exactly as tasteful as I would have expected on this project.
Whoa, look who's back!  :hefdaddy

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1033 on: August 11, 2017, 11:03:31 AM »
Finally...took about 20 other bands to come to this. I like it.

I don't see how this would compete with DT other than MP finally releasing a project in that same style. Its exactly how I thought itd sound based on MPs metal leanings and Dereks past works.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1034 on: August 11, 2017, 11:05:43 AM »
Not blown away but it sounds good. Vocals are great, guitar solo was a bit much for me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1035 on: August 11, 2017, 11:16:05 AM »
Who here thinks Figaros Whore will be an Acapella track?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: August 11, 2017, 11:17:24 AM »
God I hope not lol

Offline Art

« Reply #1037 on: August 11, 2017, 11:32:49 AM »

My bet is in a solo piece from Derek.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1038 on: August 11, 2017, 11:35:38 AM »

My bet is in a solo piece from Derek.

Derek said he brought a finished piece for the album, so I think you might be right.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1039 on: August 11, 2017, 11:36:21 AM »
I listened to it again, still not grabbing me. Symphony X with a Derek Sherinian solo. I think MP realizes with each group/super group/ project how special Petrucci is. Arguably one of the better players he has played with Gillette sounds like Petrucci. Bumblefoot is obviously a great guitar player but as far as song writing goes, he pales next to Petrucci. I am doe tying the name Petrucci.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: August 11, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »
First listen and nothing really grabs my attention.
My first thought was that I would take DT over this any day...
Might grow.....

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1041 on: August 11, 2017, 11:44:56 AM »

My first thought was that I would take DT over this any day...

As much as I like it and as I may love the album and band as a whole, I think I will agree with this. It doesn't beat DT.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1042 on: August 11, 2017, 11:46:32 AM »
I can't be the only one who thinks the main riff is a knock-off of Roots Bloody Roots by Sepultura.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1043 on: August 11, 2017, 11:47:36 AM »
The name Figaros Whore sounds like one of Derek´s solo songs. I can´t believe he released an album called Molecular Heinosity  ;D ;D ;D

I´ve been listening to Signs of The Time non stop today!!! AOR meets prog meets Sepultura...I love this track!!! Can you guys imagine if Mike started off with this as soon as he left DT in 2010? I guess it would change the perception of a lot of fans.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1044 on: August 11, 2017, 11:49:28 AM »
I listened to it again, still not grabbing me. Symphony X with a Derek Sherinian solo. I think MP realizes with each group/super group/ project how special Petrucci is. Arguably one of the better players he has played with Gillette sounds like Petrucci. Bumblefoot is obviously a great guitar player but as far as song writing goes, he pales next to Petrucci. I am doe tying the name Petrucci.

Does he though?

I tend to agree. MP's post-DT career has been full of him working with some fantastic players, but nothing touches (IMO) what he was able to do with DT. In my mind that's because John Petrucci doesn't grow on trees. I certainly realize that more and more with each MP project, but I don't know if Mike does.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:07:35 PM by mikeyd23 »

Offline efx

Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of
« Reply #1045 on: August 11, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »
On the itunes page Figaro's Whore is the only track marked as having explicit lyrics.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1046 on: August 11, 2017, 12:05:15 PM »

Does he though?

I tend to agree. MP's post-DT career has been full of him working with some fantastic players, but nothing touches (IMO) what he was able to do with DT. In my mind that's because John Petrucci does grow on trees. I certainly realize that more and more with each MP project, but I don't know if Mike does.

Good point, I really don't know. Factor in that I feel MP thinks he was the creative force that made DT what it was. He definitely contributed, no doubt but DT without MP continues, DT without Petrucci is dead.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1047 on: August 11, 2017, 12:10:34 PM »
Good point, I really don't know. Factor in that I feel MP thinks he was the creative force that made DT what it was. He definitely contributed, no doubt but DT without MP continues, DT without Petrucci is dead.

Yeah not to go down this well traveled DTF road, but regardless of how much people think one guy contributed or the other guy did - most here can agree that the combination of JP and MP, however it actually worked behind the scenes, is a combination that created some truly incredible music.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1048 on: August 11, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »

Yeah not to go down this well traveled DTF road, but regardless of how much people think one guy contributed or the other guy did - most here can agree that the combination of JP and MP, however it actually worked behind the scenes, is a combination that created some truly incredible music.

Yes for sure. There is no duplicating the magic from I and W through SFAM. I still love their stuff and really enjoyed The Astonishing but that era was magic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1049 on: August 11, 2017, 12:17:01 PM »
I think Mike has always felt that JP is truly special and he has repeatedly said as much, both while he was in DT and afterward.  I don't think there has been any sort of increased (and, impliedly, regretful) realization post-DT.  I don't get that perspective at all.  But Mike has been fortunate enough to do projects with a LOT of very talented guitarists, including Steve Morse, Eric Gillette, and now Bumblefoot.  They each bring something special to the table.