Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305484 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #980 on: August 09, 2017, 09:57:04 PM »
Is Bumblefoot known for technical wankery, though? I'm not as musically invested in his works as others here, so it'd be interesting to see what fans of his might say about this. I'm mostly interested in hearing how MP plays up that technical music wankery with this set of musicians. He's not really had an outlet for that kind of prog metal since DT, and the closest he's come has been some heavier moments with Neal Morse, but that's not really Neal's style over-all. Flying Colors was modern rock and pop with a foot in the prog puddle, while Transatlantic was the whole body in the symphonic prog pool, but MP hasn't really dipped his sticks into a full on prog metal project lately, so hearing about a 10-minute instrumental is amazing for me.

Granted, I've not listened to a lot of progressive metal, or wankery music for that matter, in recent years, since my tastes in music have softened a bit from the hard stuff (my favorite and most listened bands lately have been Big Big Train, The Tangent, Haken, Anathema, Neal Morse, and the occasional non-prog rock band like Zeppelin and Queen). I think I was just too burned out on that kind of music after awhile, and to be honest, it's probably partly DT's fault. In the year-plus since The Astonishing has come out, I could probably count the number of times I've listened to DT (any era of it) on my fingers and toes, but I feel like with SOA, I might be ready to hear this kind of music again.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #981 on: August 09, 2017, 10:05:37 PM »
Wanky prog metal has never really been my thing, outside of DT and by extension LTE (which was basically instrumental DT with Tony Levin on bass instead).  Haken can wank, but they really do keep it to a minimum, and the other metal artists I listen to who sometimes get the prog tag (Devin Townsend, Opeth) are not wanky at all. I will check this out, but my expectations are not high.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #982 on: August 10, 2017, 01:02:28 AM »
Well, I had fears for Stream of Consciousness and it turned out just fine, so I hope too it's gonna be that kind of instrumental, riff driven and not, well, "wank" driven.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #983 on: August 10, 2017, 02:55:50 AM »
I'm no expert on Bumblefoot but have had a few listens to his stuff on YouTube. His instructional videos are excellent - he's got a relaxing deep voice that could do meditation tapes 😀.

He can certainly shred but the songs of his I played were songs and not widdle fests.

The fretless guitar appears to be his thing. I think he has a quirky side to him. Will be interesting to see how this goes.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #984 on: August 10, 2017, 11:09:41 AM »
From the SOA Facebook page:
You've heard the teaser (https://youtu.be/kPN2DttzlZQ), tomorrow you'll get your first real taste...Stay Tuned! @SonsOfApollo1 #PsychoticSymphony
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #985 on: August 10, 2017, 11:26:30 AM »
Cool I'm interested in hearing this.

I like Derek's solo albums. Specifically Mythology and Oceana. Forgot about Blood of The Snake.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: August 11, 2017, 01:12:11 AM »
A track, Signs of the Time, is now available on Spotify.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #987 on: August 11, 2017, 01:24:56 AM »
Of course...when I'm at work with no headphones ;)

Offline efx

« Reply #988 on: August 11, 2017, 01:39:56 AM »
https://open.spotify.com/track/3McauVJBP7gRvYj6rGL0WH :)

Had a listen today. Everyone sounds good though the chorus and verses didn't do too much on a first listen. I love the middle part though, shades of the more "fusiony" parts of Derek era DT there and Bumblefoots guitar solo is mindboggling. I keep forgetting what an absolute monster he is.

I didn't really have any expectations of this going in but this is enough to make me interested in hearing more.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #989 on: August 11, 2017, 02:34:20 AM »
Holy f****k, this song is awesome!!!!!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #990 on: August 11, 2017, 04:26:49 AM »
Well, since I'm following the thread anyway, may as well post here:

LYRICS (from what I could gather):

[Verse 1:]
Beneath this poison rage
We dance upon the gravest night
This scarred humanity
We crave insanity this night (hey, yeah)

[Pre-Chorus 1:]
Through this curtain call
We'll colide & fall
We're all victimised
& dehumanised

[Chorus:]
But we hold on
More than a miracle
Will die for the praying
Hold on
The fight of our lives
Are signs of the time

[Verse 2:]
Bleeding we're gagged & bound ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
This new world terminates my soul (my soul)
Shooken(?) the loaded gun
Looking inside your vertigo (hey, yeah)

[Pre-Chorus 2:]
Sipping cyanide
Bodies damnified
Too much time to hate
Re-evaluate

[Chorus]

[Chorus-B:]
If we hold on
Something has got to give
Now hear what I'm saying
Hold on
The fight of our lives
Are signs of the time

[3 Minute Instrumental]

[Chorus A/B]
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: August 11, 2017, 06:10:56 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #992 on: August 11, 2017, 06:27:54 AM »
I found the instrumental slightly overwhelming, but the rest was very interesting. I'm digging the melodies and the down-tuned riffs.  :metal

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: August 11, 2017, 06:31:25 AM »
Officially released by the InsideOut YouTube channel

Signs of the Time by Sons of Apollo

https://youtu.be/TLVWkqnN3Ck

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #994 on: August 11, 2017, 06:32:23 AM »
Tracklist revealed!:
1. God of the Sun
2. Coming Home
3. Signs of the Time
4. Labyrinth
5. Alive
6. Lost in Oblivion
7. Figaro's Whore [sic]
8. Divine Addiction
9. Opus Maximus

Release Date: October 20th  :metal

https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/psychotic-symphony/id1267878801?app=itunes&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:38:00 AM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: August 11, 2017, 06:42:17 AM »
Having known nothing about Bumblefoot before this song, I gotta say, I'm impressed with that guitar playing in there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: August 11, 2017, 06:43:48 AM »
Thanks for the link, the Spotify link wasn't working for some reason.

Listening to this at work So my attention isn't fully on the song but here are my thoughts:

Awesome riff, awesome tone. I'm really not a fan of the vocals, they sound strained, as if he is trying really hard to sing, or maybe sing in a fashion that suits the song. DS sounds exactly like DS from FII, like his tone or sound hasn't evolved in any way, I'm not saying it's a bad thing and most artists have heir signature sound. It's funny because my only exposure to Derrick is FII so all of sudden it sounded like he was dropp into the ToT recording sessions.

My final thing to say is Ron sounds a lot like JP, that solo sounds like it could be lifted from a recent DT album.

Again nothing negative (except the vocals which really don't do it for me), I think this is MP project appeals to me more than anything else he has done aside from DT but

Offline Mladen

« Reply #997 on: August 11, 2017, 06:47:28 AM »
Oh my God, Opus Maximus!  :lol

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #998 on: August 11, 2017, 06:54:45 AM »
Well to me that is the best song I've  heard from any of MP's new projects since he left DT.  Happy Happy  :metal
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: August 11, 2017, 06:58:10 AM »
Pretty good song, and I get serious FII vibes in the instrumental section.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1000 on: August 11, 2017, 07:01:36 AM »
That song was pretty cool, nothing groundbreaking, but enjoyable overall.

Having known nothing about Bumblefoot before this song, I gotta say, I'm impressed with that guitar playing in there.

I'm totally with you on that one wolf, he sounded really good on this track.

Awesome riff, awesome tone. I'm really not a fan of the vocals, they sound strained, as if he is trying really hard to sing, or maybe sing in a fashion that suits the song. DS sounds exactly like DS from FII, like his tone or sound hasn't evolved in any way, I'm not saying it's a bad thing and most artists have heir signature sound. It's funny because my only exposure to Derrick is FII so all of sudden it sounded like he was dropp into the ToT recording sessions.

My final thing to say is Ron sounds a lot like JP, that solo sounds like it could be lifted from a recent DT album.

I totally agree he sounded a lot like JP on that solo, like a lot. Obviously that's not a bad thing, just an observation. As for DS and that FII sound, I totally agree with you that he sounds exactly like he did on FII and, for me, that's great I loved those sounds.

The vocals were kinda just there for me. Clearly well sung, I liked the verses okay, but the chorus didn't do much for me. Billy's bass tone is not my cup of tea and that holds true on this track.

Lastly, the production sounds decent, but a bit of a let down. The mix sounds totally tapped out in a couple places. MP's drums are refreshingly present and clear though.

Offline Art

« Reply #1001 on: August 11, 2017, 07:03:01 AM »
This song's freaking awesome. Excellent sound and production.

DAT SOLO. DAT MID SECTION. THAT HOOK.

Me likes it!  :metal

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1002 on: August 11, 2017, 07:06:03 AM »
i dig the logo, huge Queen influence of course.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1003 on: August 11, 2017, 07:17:40 AM »
Really beautiful album cover👍👍👍
Very good song, the instrumental section is perfect!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #1004 on: August 11, 2017, 07:31:40 AM »
Youtube link for new song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVWkqnN3Ck

"Roots, Bloody Rooots..."

Not impressed at all upon my first listen. Jeff's voice still is doing nothing for me. Derek solo was cool, definitely reminds me of his solo in Burning My Soul. Didn't care for Bumblefoot's solo. It's started ok then turned into wanky bullshit. Mike's drumming was nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing surprised me, but I do feel his drums were a bit high in the mix, especially the snare which was so loud to the point it was distracting.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1005 on: August 11, 2017, 07:37:13 AM »
Not impressed at all upon my first listen. Jeff's voice still is doing nothing for me. Derek solo was cool, definitely reminds me of his solo in Burning My Soul. Didn't care for Bumblefoot's solo. It's started ok then turned into wanky bullshit. Mike's drumming was nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing surprised me, but I do feel his drums were a bit high in the mix, especially the snare which was so loud to the point it was distracting.

I just listened again and I tend to agree about the guitar solo. My initial thought was that it was cool but upon second listen, it kinda loses focus and steam at a point where it probably should have just ended.

I personally think most MP projects mix the drums a little too high, so this one seems to be no exception. His snare sounds a little different here to my ears. I'm guessing he's using his sig as he always does, but for some reason in this mix it's a little less pleasing to my ears.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1006 on: August 11, 2017, 07:38:23 AM »
This song's freaking awesome. Excellent sound and production.

DAT SOLO. DAT MID SECTION. THAT HOOK.

Me likes it!  :metal

This  :metal

Online goo-goo

« Reply #1007 on: August 11, 2017, 07:48:44 AM »
Love MP's snare sound (a bit too high) but he's always had a great snare sound.

So far so good. I've missed Derek's FII keyboard sound and I love that it made a comeback.

Still not sold on Jeff's vocals. For me, when I first discovered DT, the drums and the vocals is what did it for me (JLB and MP). Weird listening to Jeff.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1008 on: August 11, 2017, 07:52:26 AM »
Solid song though I'm not sold of the vocals either. This should have been MP's collaboration with Russell Allen.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1009 on: August 11, 2017, 08:01:03 AM »
The sound is pretty good overall but the song is prog-by-numbers with a good dash of obvious FII derivation, and I don't like the lyrics at all, thematically they are bad and grammatically/narratively they don't make a lot of sense in some places.

Great to hear Mike and Derek as always, and I always liked JSS, my husband got me hooked on Ron Thal's stuff and he sounds exactly as tasteful as I would have expected on this project.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: August 11, 2017, 08:05:53 AM »
Eh, song isn't very interesting minus some cool solos.  I'll probably still check out the album, there's definitely potential for this band, but the vocals aren't winning me over.  I'll need to listen more to get into them and there's like no hook in this song, nothing catchy, nothing that will make me want to come back to it essentially.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: August 11, 2017, 08:06:41 AM »
From the label webpage:

Mike comments: "Signs Of The Time was the very first thing myself, Derek & Bumblefoot wrote when we got together to begin writing for Sons Of Apollo in March of this year.

It starts with this heavy, brutal Bumbleriff (initally coined "Korntera"), then goes into a cool verse with a 2-Pt vocal melody that I wrote sung by Jeff and myself...which eventually opens up to a HUGE vocal hook in the chorus that Jeff wrote (sung in 3-Pt harmony by Jeff, myself and Bumblefoot)

The middle section riffs are a few things that Derek brought in and show why he is the most BADASS keyboard player in the biz (playing the keys like a guitar player on fire!) and then we have the long extended breakdown and guitar solo which shows why Bumblefoot is one of today's greatest GUITAR HEROES! This album is going to get him the recognition he truly deserves and this particular guitar solo is one of the tastiest, most insane solos I've EVER heard...

So all in all, this song has a little bit of everything that makes Sons Of Apollo so special...great heavy riffs, amazing solos with individual instrumental virtuosity and a big, catchy chorus with more hooks than a tackle box!!

I figured this would be a great "first taste" to introduce the world to this amazing new supergroup...and there's a whole lot more of different musical styles and twist & turns still to come all throughout the album..."

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1012 on: August 11, 2017, 08:15:54 AM »
Well I have to say that after Your comments I can't wait to hear that track. I'm coming home now and turn it on  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1013 on: August 11, 2017, 08:25:07 AM »
Wow, despite the players, this does not sound like what I was expecting.  I like this.  Can't really comment TOO specifically after only a couple of listens this morning, but a few thoughts:

The riffage is what is probably the most different and makes this song stand out the most.  It is an interesting sound to go with the melodic vocals by JSS and the more "standard" prog metal instrumentation that Mike, Billy, and Derek provide to go along with it. 

JSS's singing is really good.  He is hit and miss for me (and did I mention that he can't sing Meanstreak?).  But I like what he brings to this project, at least from what I am hearing so far.  I was worried that they would bring it someone who either has range but sounds like he lacks power, like the singer from Haken, or someone who sings too harshly.  Soto seems like a really good fit.  And he is singing in his range and sounding comfortable, which I think is huge for him to be successful. 

I initially didn't get the "Derek sounds like he does on FII" vibe at all...up until his solo.  Yeah, same lead sound.  But that is part of him.  That is one of his signature sounds, and I expected it.  But the background work he does through the rest of the song doesn't give me that FII vibe at all.  The sounds he uses for those backing chords is quite tasteful and really helps set off the guitars and vocals.

Overall, good song.  Looking forward to hearing more.

i dig the logo, huge Queen influence of course.

I was thinking House of Lords, myself.  I know Derek is familiar, having done an album with them, so their logo may have intentionally or subconsciously been an inspiration.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1014 on: August 11, 2017, 08:28:05 AM »
Sounds a lot like Symphony X. That's not a bad thing just nothing new. The middle part sounds very FII, definitely DS's influence.