Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305517 times)

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #945 on: August 07, 2017, 10:12:25 PM »
Well that seems a bit silly. Obviously one factor alone doesn't make anything good.

Just like a strong desire to make great music won't result in anything good.

I think the assumption is that under the right circumstances, along with the proper talent and everything else, competition CAN be a very good thing.

No one is actually arguing that all you need is competition and nothing else to automatically create brilliant music.

As silly as it seems, but several have been giving examples that indicate they think that way.. Or, at least, that they think that competition is the main factor to bring something fresh and better to the table..

Also, the quotes I've made don't implicate that it CAN be a good thing, but that IT IS (maybe always, even regardless the particular cases and the little things that may hamper the production of that music) something good and preferable..

Not saying everyone thinks that way either, just what I think of what I've been reading here.. I guess ambiguity says hi, and that includes me too apparently..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #946 on: August 08, 2017, 07:56:04 AM »
My point wasn't that certain situation (like competition) cannot end up being (after hundred of things that actually make the music happen) the initial point to a great album or band.. What I'm trying to say is that these kind of feelings (like competitiveness) doesn't necessarily bring inspiration to the musician, and I think is safe to say that have either nothing to do with the compositional process that really ends up making the music.. I'm neither saying that feelings cannot inspire in some way, because they often do.. What instead I think is that to be motivated because you must "win" a band battle won't be followed by quality music, unless you are a quality musician already..

All those examples don't prove that competition produce better music, but (at best) only that the musicians involved in it were capable of making that better music..

Isn't that up to the people involved?   All people are motivated by different things; sometimes even against their will.   Not music, but Phil Simms is a great example; he hated his coach - Bill Parcells - at the time because Parcells was mercilous in how he pushed Phil.  Now?  Phil readily admits that even though he didn't like it at all, Parcells made him a far better player than he ever would have been without him.   Meanwhile, Lawrence Taylor (on the same team) was allowed to party, and hang with hookers and blow even the night before games, because that's how LT came ready to play.   Trying to "chain him down" didn't work and stifled his playing instinct.  So Parcells let him have his head.     

Again, your examples are no different than the others.. They just describe situations were there was some kind of competition going on, and the final result was better than before.. What you're missing is that that final result is not only possible due to that initial motivation.. First, as you're saying, motivation can come from many different places, but second and third and etc you should have all the elements that you need to do what you're trying to do.. In the music field that would be, besides the motivation, the talent, the patience, the time, the equipment, etc, to actually make the music happen.. You won't need all of them, but at least some of these and many others things (whether physical or psychical) will probably guide you to make good music.. Not competition just for the sake of it.. If a person manages to create something beautiful after getting angry with someone, the magic was all along within that person, and not in that unnamed negative feeling..

I agreed with everything you said up to the last sentence.   There are many examples of that "negative" (your word; it's subjective) feeling being the catalyst for great work that the artist never quite lives up to again.   One could argue that Roger Waters owes his whole legendary status to "negative feelings" that permeate his work.   

Offline bill1971

« Reply #947 on: August 08, 2017, 09:10:30 AM »
For myself, I'm not interested in "public" competition between DT and MP.  If wanting to one up DT is motivation for MP and DS, and as a result they produce a better album, that's great.  They could do it without bringing DT into it in interviews, etc.  If they can't, and they actually need some kind of public feud to bring out the best in themselves creatively, so be it, but I hope DT doesn't participate in it.  Right now I'm just saying if - basing on what others are saying about competition.  I don't know that MP actually wants to start something.  That 3 part interview he recently did was great and I hope he keeps up with the positivity.  Derek's interview - I don't know if it was really "us vs them" but I think it was purposely over the top (which I think he can be).  The JR/JP cyborg comment was unnecessary.  Claiming that MP invented prog metal - definitely over the top.  Not even MP would say that. 

If they go down the road of trying to compete or draw blabbermouth headlines, etc, I hope DT just continues to do what they do and that they disregard it.

I don't think DT thinks of it as a competition.  They are an established band for almost 30 years, they have nothing to prove. Sons of Apollo are a group of individuals.  With their age, there is no way they will ever reach DT's longevity. Two of the member's claim to fame is that they USED to be in the successful band they are competing with. To add to that DT does not want them anymore, so maybe DS and MP share a bond and feel slighted.

Anyhow, should make for some nice forum discussions. :)

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #948 on: August 08, 2017, 10:54:18 AM »
There are many examples of that "negative" (your word; it's subjective) feeling being the catalyst for great work that the artist never quite lives up to again.   One could argue that Roger Waters owes his whole legendary status to "negative feelings" that permeate his work.

Exactly that's the part which I disagree with.. I'd never think he owes it to a feeling, whether be negative or positive.. he owes it to his talent first and foremost... Only then, yeah, circumstances and reactions to them can be helpful; but if you don't have the ears and hands to translate it to music, those circumstances and reactions are useless to the cause.. As obvious as it may sound, to not give up in making art you must be an artist first, and being capable of manage precisely those kind of situations.. Is not that what art is about in the end?.. Translate internal senses and thoughts (well, knowledge too) into a piece of work?..

So, I disagree that competition (or whatever else that can be the "catalyst for great work") is the main factor to be a better musician or artist.. But there's another thing though that I find weird about what you're all saying, and it took me this long to realize what's that.. Now I see it.. Is the redundancy of your argument.. Art is [among other not mutually exclusive definitions] a way to express feelings and emotions, so is obvious that to be an artist, first you'd need to have those two.. But that's like saying that you'd need arms and fingers or to be alive in order to make music..

I don't think DT thinks of it as a competition.  They are an established band for almost 30 years, they have nothing to prove. Sons of Apollo are a group of individuals.  With their age, there is no way they will ever reach DT's longevity. Two of the member's claim to fame is that they USED to be in the successful band they are competing with. To add to that DT does not want them anymore, so maybe DS and MP share a bond and feel slighted.

Anyhow, should make for some nice forum discussions. :)

Absolutely..

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: August 08, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
There are many examples of that "negative" (your word; it's subjective) feeling being the catalyst for great work that the artist never quite lives up to again.   One could argue that Roger Waters owes his whole legendary status to "negative feelings" that permeate his work.

Exactly that's the part which I disagree with.. I'd never think he owes it to a feeling, whether be negative or positive.. he owes it to his talent first and foremost... Only then, yeah, circumstances and reactions to them can be helpful; but if you don't have the ears and hands to translate it to music, those circumstances and reactions are useless to the cause.. As obvious as it may sound, to not give up in making art you must be an artist first, and being capable of manage precisely those kind of situations.. Is not that what art is about in the end?.. Translate internal senses and thoughts (well, knowledge too) into a piece of work?..

So why does Taylor Swift or better yet Christina Aguilera and Demi Lovato (both EXCELLENT singers) get dismissed as "vapid pop tarts" and Leonard Cohen or better yet Patti Smith get lauded as legends?   

Look, we can argue this all day and neither one of us is totally right (and it's not provable even if we are).  I believe that talent isn't enough.  I think you need that edge, and for all people it's different.  Waters gets his inspiration writing about dark subjects that touch him, often negatively (you'll never convince me that Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, or The Final Cut were borne of JUST talent and have nothing to owe to his emotional state at the time of writing).   It's not a coincidence that even the band members will say that the emotional complexity around the band and the competitive, jealous nature of the parties was a big part of why Rumours is arguably the best Fleetwood Mac album ever, and arguably one of the best albums by any band ever.   

So, I disagree that competition (or whatever else that can be the "catalyst for great work") is the main factor to be a better musician or artist.. But there's another thing though that I find weird about what you're all saying, and it took me this long to realize what's that.. Now I see it.. Is the redundancy of your argument.. Art is [among other not mutually exclusive definitions] a way to express feelings and emotions, so is obvious that to be an artist, first you'd need to have those two.. But that's like saying that you'd need arms and fingers or to be alive in order to make music..

I don't follow that.  And by the way, you DON'T need arms and fingers to make music (Jason Becker).  You don't need emotion, either; I doubt the guy writing jingles for commercials, or music under the voiceovers on reality TV are driven by anything purely emotional.   I'm only saying that for SOME PEOPLE, the difference between "good" music and "great" music is sometimes those emotions that we from the outside view as "bad" or "harmful", like "competitiveness". 

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #950 on: August 08, 2017, 12:01:37 PM »
So why does Taylor Swift or better yet Christina Aguilera and Demi Lovato (both EXCELLENT singers) get dismissed as "vapid pop tarts" and Leonard Cohen or better yet Patti Smith get lauded as legends?   

Look, we can argue this all day and neither one of us is totally right (and it's not provable even if we are).  I believe that talent isn't enough.  I think you need that edge, and for all people it's different.  Waters gets his inspiration writing about dark subjects that touch him, often negatively (you'll never convince me that Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, or The Final Cut were borne of JUST talent and have nothing to owe to his emotional state at the time of writing).   It's not a coincidence that even the band members will say that the emotional complexity around the band and the competitive, jealous nature of the parties was a big part of why Rumours is arguably the best Fleetwood Mac album ever, and arguably one of the best albums by any band ever.   

But I believe too that talent isn't enough.. Otherwise I wouldn't be saying that I think is the most important factor; I would simply say is the only one, but that's obviously not how it is.. As you say, no one can be totally right about this, because is purely subjective.. But just to clarify my posture, I'm not saying emotion is not important, but is far from being a "big part" of the whole process.. All those PF's albums weren't of course made of just talent, but they weren't certainly made of just inspiration or emotion, and they're not even the main elements, because then again, inspiration and emotion we all have them, but talent to make music only some.. I'm sure that band sayings were not to be taken literally, they were just being honest and telling their audience what was the real motivation behind that album..

I don't follow that.  And by the way, you DON'T need arms and fingers to make music (Jason Becker).  You don't need emotion, either; I doubt the guy writing jingles for commercials, or music under the voiceovers on reality TV are driven by anything purely emotional.   I'm only saying that for SOME PEOPLE, the difference between "good" music and "great" music is sometimes those emotions that we from the outside view as "bad" or "harmful", like "competitiveness". 

Ok, you got me there with Becker.. :lol  But about the need for emotion, I wasn't talking about commercials, but real music.. About art, not TV ads.. And about your last sentence, I absolutely agree with it.. What I was saying in that last paragraph is that, by definition, all kind of art has emotions involved in it, at different degrees obviously.. Sometimes the overload of expressed feelings into a work can make it worst (or less good than it is) and sometimes can make it better, a thing that depends too on the judge of every person..

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #951 on: August 08, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
What a fascinatingly long conversation. Apparently there are multiple factors necessary to make great music and be a hit.

Who knew?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: August 08, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »
Ok, you got me there with Becker.. :lol  But about the need for emotion, I wasn't talking about commercials, but real music.. About art, not TV ads.. And about your last sentence, I absolutely agree with it.. What I was saying in that last paragraph is that, by definition, all kind of art has emotions involved in it, at different degrees obviously.. Sometimes the overload of expressed feelings into a work can make it worst (or less good than it is) and sometimes can make it better, a thing that depends too on the judge of every person..

Whoa, who says that commercial jingles are not "art"?  Why can't they be art?   Does art "REQUIRE" emotion?  That kind of supports my position, that sometimes circumstances make for more poignant emotions.   

For the record, I don't at all believe that "art" is judged "good" or "bad" by "every person".   In my opinion, only the artist can determine if a work is "good" or "bad" (and that by how close he/she came to their vision).  All anyone else can do is say "I like it" or "I do not like it". 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #953 on: August 08, 2017, 12:40:11 PM »
Um, we're getting way off track here.  Mike Portnoy/Sons of Appollo discussion, please.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #954 on: August 08, 2017, 12:51:43 PM »
I wonder when they're going to release the 1st single. That's when we can really start commenting about the direction and sound of the band. Hope it's released sometime this month.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #955 on: August 08, 2017, 12:53:14 PM »
I wonder when they're going to release the 1st single. That's when we can really start commenting about the direction and sound of the band. Hope it's released sometime this month.

I saw on Facebook that Portnoy was saying something would be out in late October.  If he meant the full album, we should start hearing singles soon. 

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #956 on: August 08, 2017, 01:30:52 PM »
The more I listen to the samples, the more I like them. I think there's potential here for a masterpiece. Prog metal combined with classic hard rock moxie, on paper that's just what I'm most into these days. I'm pretty sure I'll prefer it to The Astonishing.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #957 on: August 08, 2017, 01:46:36 PM »
Yeah, listened to the samples a couple of times and I am definitely digging it.

Portnoy's interview with Trunk sounds good to me, three epics and a bunch of smaller tracks, with the musical direction somewhere inbetween DT-esque prog metal and Van Halen-esque classic rock. I also searched up some Jeff Scott Soto material and I think he has a good voice for the genre. Not very high and belty (unlike a lot of singers in the genre) and a good sense of "groove" from what I've heard. And given some of the other members can sing too, I hope they will use that now and then (choruses, harmonies).

I also think this should be a pretty fun band to watch live.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #958 on: August 08, 2017, 02:14:04 PM »

Portnoy's interview with Trunk sounds good to me, three epics and a bunch of smaller tracks, with the musical direction somewhere inbetween DT-esque prog metal and Van Halen-esque classic rock. I also searched up some Jeff Scott Soto material and I think he has a good voice for the genre. Not very high and belty (unlike a lot of singers in the genre) and a good sense of "groove" from what I've heard. And given some of the other members can sing too, I hope they will use that now and then (choruses, harmonies).

I finally got a chance to listen to their "debut" live performance and was actually kind of surprised that Soto doesn't have a higher range.  He has a great voice but I wasn't too impressed with his performance on Burn.  In fact, the whole band was kind of sloppy which I feel bad for saying because it was obviously thrown together for a tribute but hey, it is what it is.  Bumblefoot has a great voice to so I'm sure he will contribute some to the vocals...at least, I would hope he does. 

I'm curious if Soto wrote all the lyrics or if it was a shared responsibility. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #959 on: August 08, 2017, 02:53:39 PM »
One piece of criticism about the samples would be the sound. It sounds very compressed, which is a sound MP seems to go for a lot.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #960 on: August 08, 2017, 03:02:04 PM »
Even Virgil can't resist to poke fun at the name. :lol

Also, Derek changed his FB "describe who you are" to "Son of Apollo." He really seems to be taking this thing seriously.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #961 on: August 08, 2017, 03:16:06 PM »

I finally got a chance to listen to their "debut" live performance and was actually kind of surprised that Soto doesn't have a higher range.  He has a great voice but I wasn't too impressed with his performance on Burn.  In fact, the whole band was kind of sloppy which I feel bad for saying because it was obviously thrown together for a tribute but hey, it is what it is.  Bumblefoot has a great voice to so I'm sure he will contribute some to the vocals...at least, I would hope he does. 

I'm curious if Soto wrote all the lyrics or if it was a shared responsibility.

From an interview linked somewhere here, the majority of music was composed by Portnoy/Sherinian/Ron, with Sheehan less involved. Lyrics and melodies by Sherinian/Portnoy/Soto.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #962 on: August 08, 2017, 04:25:25 PM »

Also, Derek changed his FB "describe who you are" to "Son of Apollo." He really seems to be taking this thing seriously.

The prog version of Chickenfoot.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #963 on: August 08, 2017, 05:02:13 PM »

Excellent post.  :tup :tup

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #964 on: August 08, 2017, 05:28:19 PM »
I'm glad Sherinian is taking it seriously. He is the MVP of the project so far for me.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #965 on: August 08, 2017, 05:32:34 PM »

I definitely get the vibe that Derek feels slighted, and they want to hit it big with SOA. Fingers crossed. 

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #966 on: August 08, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »
Whoa, who says that commercial jingles are not "art"?  Why can't they be art?   Does art "REQUIRE" emotion?  That kind of supports my position, that sometimes circumstances make for more poignant emotions.   

For the record, I don't at all believe that "art" is judged "good" or "bad" by "every person".   In my opinion, only the artist can determine if a work is "good" or "bad" (and that by how close he/she came to their vision).  All anyone else can do is say "I like it" or "I do not like it".

Ok, then we think very different.. I'm glad that at least I could explain my posture and glad too that there's some that have read the whole thing only to after complain about it..

Um, we're getting way off track here.  Mike Portnoy/Sons of Appollo discussion, please.

Actually, it didn't seem by the last few posts, but we were initially discussing about a statement someone made of how the MP vs DT thing would inspire them to be better.. And yes, the discussion expanded to more general concepts, but the motive behind them was always these bands.. I don't care for any of the other bands named in the examples neither was the point to care about them..

Not that there's too much to talk about a band that has release nothing yet, but ok, let's go back to that.. ;)

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #967 on: August 08, 2017, 08:01:05 PM »

It would very cool if IceFish open to SoA :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Adami

« Reply #968 on: August 08, 2017, 08:10:24 PM »
Oh man, a show of IceFish and Sons of Apollo?

YES PLEASE!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #969 on: August 08, 2017, 08:18:18 PM »

YES PLEASE!

Why not run with it and have the tour called The Food Court Tour.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Adami

« Reply #970 on: August 08, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »
Bad Salad (who I....think do a ton of DT covers) can open!

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #971 on: August 08, 2017, 08:23:49 PM »

YES PLEASE!

That would be EPIC
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #972 on: August 09, 2017, 02:23:43 PM »
10min instruMENTAL confirmed  :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #973 on: August 09, 2017, 02:29:24 PM »

Now you got my attention...

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #974 on: August 09, 2017, 02:38:56 PM »

Not thrilled by that, there's danger of serious wankery.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #975 on: August 09, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »

Not thrilled by that, there's danger of serious wankery.

I'd love that .. coming from both SOA & DT since there hasn't been serious wankery on The Astonishing.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #976 on: August 09, 2017, 07:29:45 PM »

Where are you getting these updates from?

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #977 on: August 09, 2017, 08:43:43 PM »
Mike's comments on FB

Offline Adami

« Reply #978 on: August 09, 2017, 08:45:22 PM »
I think I may have outgrown wankery for the point of wankery.

If it's cleverly composed, then I'm interested. But technical for the sake of it? Nah. Heard it all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: August 09, 2017, 09:43:42 PM »
I think I may have outgrown wankery for the point of wankery.

If it's cleverly composed, then I'm interested. But technical for the sake of it? Nah. Heard it all.
Yeah. Major understatement as far as I'm concerned.