Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305523 times)

Offline the keyboard wizard

Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #875 on: August 03, 2017, 12:58:08 PM »
The full Ultimate Jam is online at zinna.tv the quality is low.
Did someone listen to Mike's interview with Eddie Trunk? It's available here https://player.fm/series/podcastone-1426788/et-cheap-trick-greta-van-fleet-mike-portnoy but it's not working on my smartphone. Mike's part begins at 1:02:00
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #876 on: August 03, 2017, 01:54:17 PM »
Cool, thanks for that Keybozard Wiz.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #877 on: August 03, 2017, 02:16:25 PM »
Three epics he says, should be interesting.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #878 on: August 03, 2017, 02:28:39 PM »

Unless it's trademarked, that guy is shit out of luck.

Is that actually so? I remember that somewhere in the US there is a "Burger King" that has nothing to do with the chain. It was there first, and thus has priority in the areas it had expanded to until the chain came around.

EDIT: Here we go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_King_(Mattoon,_Illinois)
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: August 03, 2017, 02:30:29 PM »
Three epics he says, should be interesting.

Let's hope those are good epics...

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #880 on: August 03, 2017, 03:07:55 PM »
Majority of material composed by Portnoy/Sherinian/Ron. Sheehan less involved. Lyrics and melodies by Sherinian/Portnoy/Soto. Interesting to know.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: August 03, 2017, 03:11:26 PM »

Unless it's trademarked, that guy is shit out of luck.

Is that actually so? I remember that somewhere in the US there is a "Burger King" that has nothing to do with the chain. It was there first, and thus has priority in the areas it had expanded to until the chain came around.

EDIT: Here we go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_King_(Mattoon,_Illinois)

Interesting

The court ruled that, because of the federal trademark registration, and because the federal law indicated priority over state law,[4] Florida's Burger King had rights to the name almost everywhere in the United States, including in Illinois, except in the Mattoon area, where the Hoots family had prior actual use. As a result of the case, the Hootses cannot use the name "Burger King" outside of the Mattoon area, and the Florida chain cannot use the name in the Mattoon area.

I'm not sure how this applies to a band name though being that a band doesn't have a physical store front.  I'd be interested in knowing how this plays out.  My initial thought is that if the original band didn't trademark the name, then they have no argument for another band coming along with the same name.  I'm guessing both will co-exist, but the former (and lesser known) will just be like that Burger King.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #882 on: August 04, 2017, 08:10:02 AM »
My local bar where I used to live is called "The Cracker Barrel", and not a triangle peg game or chicken fried steak to be found anywhere.

Look, I'm not a trademark attorney, but I know enough to know that Mike et al shouldn't be losing sleep.

One element of "trademark infringement" is "likelihood of confusion".  Now, they are both bands, so that's a problem.  But "strength of the trademark owner's mark" is a factor (have they released albums?  Played shows?  Is there an audience for that band?).  You have to show ACTUAL confusion; have any of you picked up Mike's record thinking it was the old band's magnum opus?   Also, what was the intent?   Did Mike and Derek actually think they were going to siphon off some of the existing Sons of Apollo audience?  (I don't think the guitar player's mom and dad count as "audience"). 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: August 04, 2017, 08:24:32 AM »
Yea and I think that's likely the case.  I do wonder if the old band would just be looking for a payday though.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #884 on: August 04, 2017, 02:17:08 PM »
They did a good job with the cover.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #885 on: August 04, 2017, 02:33:30 PM »

Offline Skeever

« Reply #886 on: August 04, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »
https://proglodytes.com/2017/08/04/interview-with-derek-sherinian-dream-theater-planet-x-and-sons-of-apollo/

Derek is making the band out to be the Us vs Them kinda thing...
Jesus Christ, who cares?
If it gives this band a little bit of a competitive fire, unlike the last several Mike bands, then I am ALL FOR IT.

Hell, it's not just MP's projects that needed this kick, but DT that need a good kick in the ass too. Maybe some competitiveness would be good.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #887 on: August 04, 2017, 02:54:41 PM »
https://proglodytes.com/2017/08/04/interview-with-derek-sherinian-dream-theater-planet-x-and-sons-of-apollo/

Derek is making the band out to be the Us vs Them kinda thing...

Exactly what I thought of when I read it. Also, I didn't really like the way he talked about Jordan, makig it sound like he and JP are just cyborgs, but that's another topic of discussion. What I do find funny is the fact that he talks about his relationship with Mike as if they were always the best music partners ever, when, in reality, Mike was one of the first people to want to replace Derek with Jordan, he's even said multiple times (and in the last few years) that he still thinks it was a good call to fire him. I don't think Derek is considering all the facts here.

Also, something that I haven't seem discussed here is that this is, according to Mike, his new "main band"... which he also said for AMOB at first (see how that turned out) and, later, TWD (inactive since 2015 and now in hiatus for, at least, a couple more years). I do wonder if SOA will be a real priority for him if he's gonna treat it as just another band he's in for now. The potential for this band being big is already there, I hope Mike decides to do something with that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #888 on: August 04, 2017, 02:57:34 PM »
I just actually read the interview... you guys are way to sensitive. Like, way, way too sensitive  :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #889 on: August 04, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #890 on: August 04, 2017, 03:03:55 PM »
Yeah, I don't see any issue.

Online Adami

« Reply #891 on: August 04, 2017, 03:06:02 PM »
I mean, he said he started Planet X as an FU to DT, which is fine and creatively actually pretty awesome. Bands that have something to prove are great, and clearly he doesn't harbor any resentment anymore.

I've also seen people on DTF refer to JR as a machine or robot, usually out of admiration.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: August 04, 2017, 03:32:52 PM »
It's the same people over and over again looking for reasons to criticise anything connected with MP. This current obsession with anything Derek says or tweets is an extension of that. Honestly folks, life is far, far too short. To paraphrase Ricky Gervais, you'll be dead soon. Who bloody cares?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #893 on: August 04, 2017, 06:03:28 PM »
The Winery Dogs aren't "inactive since 2015". They toured last year, and just released a live album TODAY. All MP's bands release an album every two or three years, much more active than a bunch of bands which are deemed "more active". So I don't get this kind of comment at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #894 on: August 04, 2017, 07:03:44 PM »
The Winery Dogs aren't "inactive since 2015". They toured last year, and just released a live album TODAY. All MP's bands release an album every two or three years, much more active than a bunch of bands which are deemed "more active". So I don't get this kind of comment at all.

Portnoy was quoted in the article the other day as saying the Dogs are now on a break, several years after saying they were a full time band.

In 2011, he said Adrenaline Mob would be a full time band, not just a project, and two years later he left the band.

That is called a pattern.  It seems like he keeps throwing stuff against the wall to see what will stick. 

I will put it this way: if this new band doesn't go over with fans well and/or doesn't generate album and ticket sales that make him happy, by 2020 we will be talking about Sons of Apollo as another Portnoy band that came and went.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #895 on: August 04, 2017, 07:50:23 PM »
 Mike only quit two bands: Dream Theater and Adrenaline Mob. The other ones that did not continue did so for other reasons. Liquid Tension is no more because Jordan joined Dream Theater, and now there´s no chance to continue anything because of the whole situation of Mike leaving DT. Transatlantic was always meant to be a side project anyway, and Mike´s in two other bands with Neal Morse, so why ressurrecting that? He quit Adrenaline Mob because he couldn´t juggle all his other stuff with it, and quite frankly, I don´t think he wanted to tour such low scale places like they´re STILL doing now. The Winery Dogs are a full on band which is on hiatus right now due to them having other commitments, but at the same time they all said they´re in no way finished as a band. Two studio albums and two live ones in four years is not a bad average, and they´ll be back in the second half of 2018. Flying Colors is the same: two studio albums and two live ones in six years, all while the band members are involved with much more stable bands. And hey, where in the bible of rock and roll is it written that one must have a "main" project to focus on? He could have gotten a bunch of starting musicians and formed a "main" band and followed with that, but it´s not what he chose to do. I dunno why it puts people off that he´s juggling all those bands, since there´s something for all kinds of tastes in them. I for one chose to check them out and like most of what I hear, and the things I don´t like I don´t listen to, regardless of it being the "main" thing or not.

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #896 on: August 04, 2017, 07:54:21 PM »
I'm fine with MP being in multiple bands, but I'm glad another poster pointed it out. Only time will truly tell if this is an actual priority for him and or his main band, like he keeps seeming to say.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #897 on: August 04, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »
So he basically formed PSMS into a real band switching guitarists and adding vocalist.

I'll wait till they release a full song. But based on who's in it, I'm hearing a more Old school style rock mixed with prog metal. I haven't checked the clips yet.

I loved PSMS, not sure if I'm liking this . Haven't checked out any samples either. May be a game time decision for me.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #898 on: August 04, 2017, 08:20:46 PM »
So he basically formed PSMS into a real band switching guitarists and adding vocalist.

I'll wait till they release a full song. But based on who's in it, I'm hearing a more Old school style rock mixed with prog metal. I haven't checked the clips yet.

I loved PSMS, not sure if I'm liking this . Haven't checked out any samples either. May be a game time decision for me.

I have that live DVD too, and loved it!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #899 on: August 04, 2017, 09:44:29 PM »
Mike only quit two bands: Dream Theater and Adrenaline Mob. The other ones that did not continue did so for other reasons. Liquid Tension is no more because Jordan joined Dream Theater, and now there´s no chance to continue anything because of the whole situation of Mike leaving DT. Transatlantic was always meant to be a side project anyway, and Mike´s in two other bands with Neal Morse, so why ressurrecting that? He quit Adrenaline Mob because he couldn´t juggle all his other stuff with it, and quite frankly, I don´t think he wanted to tour such low scale places like they´re STILL doing now. The Winery Dogs are a full on band which is on hiatus right now due to them having other commitments, but at the same time they all said they´re in no way finished as a band. Two studio albums and two live ones in four years is not a bad average, and they´ll be back in the second half of 2018. Flying Colors is the same: two studio albums and two live ones in six years, all while the band members are involved with much more stable bands. And hey, where in the bible of rock and roll is it written that one must have a "main" project to focus on? He could have gotten a bunch of starting musicians and formed a "main" band and followed with that, but it´s not what he chose to do. I dunno why it puts people off that he´s juggling all those bands, since there´s something for all kinds of tastes in them. I for one chose to check them out and like most of what I hear, and the things I don´t like I don´t listen to, regardless of it being the "main" thing or not.

Re: FIRST BOLDED PART
That kind of proves my point about throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.  Adrenaline Mob didn't stick, so he explored other options, giving him the "I couldn't fit them into my schedule" out (which I doubt anyone had a problem with).

Re: SECOND BOLDED PART
Nowhere, and I did not say I did.  All I was saying was that Portnoy has a recent history of saying how a new band he is in is a full time band, not a side project, only for him to shortly thereafter leave the band or go on a break, leading to my point that the same thing will happen with Sons of Apollo if they did not go over well with fans.   

Online Adami

« Reply #900 on: August 04, 2017, 09:49:42 PM »
I think the main issue (though this doesn't apply to all of them) is that he is forming these with very busy people.

You can't put Billy Sheehan or Richie Kotzen in a band and expect them to not have months/years of other stuff to do as well.

This new band will have the same problem. People were doubting Sheehan would even be in it because of how busy he is. Bumbefoot's a pretty busy guy too.

So it's not JUST MP taking breaks, it's that all of these are formed with super busy people. DT doesn't have that issue. JR is a robot, so he doesn't count, but the other guys who actually contribute to DT mostly just do DT.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #901 on: August 04, 2017, 10:58:05 PM »
I was not taking this as another opportunity to say something bad about Mike or anything like that, I just pointed that, as Kev said, he has a track record of saying "this (insert Mike's new band name here) is going to be my main band/priority", and, after a while, it just doesn't work that way. It's not a bad thing that he doesn't just stick to one band, in fact, I admire the guy for releasing that many albums with so many different bands/people in a short period of time, I just think we can't take his word when he says something like that, because he has a history that says otherwise.

About TWD being inactive sonce 2015, I was mistaken about that, since I don't really like the band and haven't followed them too closely, but I do know their live album was recorded a long time ago, so  it's not like they've been too active anyway, they just didn't release it before. I even read an interview with Kotzen where he said that even though he really likes TWD, he'll always focus more on his solo careeer, because that's what he likes to do more, and that's totally fine.

I do hope SOA becomes a priority for them, and not just another side project.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #902 on: August 05, 2017, 07:02:48 AM »
Who cares about a name.. Looking forward to hear the music.. 7 years have passed without listening to that guy doing what he does better than anyone else.. It's about time!.. :metal

Write drum parts that repeat the same fills and beats he has been using for the past X years? Yeah nobody else does that better. :neverusethis:
On a serious note I'm going to check the album out, if only to appreciate good sounding drums in prog for a change.

I agree. I started noticing MP's lack of diversity in the later DT years. Although I do love the drums in the beginning for In the Presence of Enemies. I think because as he says he doesn't like to practice or improve. It's like Clint Eastwood acting, you wont be disappointed with the performance but don't expect anything different. MP is still in my top ten drummers by the way but mainly because of what he has done not what is doing.

But then, again, if Mike Portnoy is called repetitive, what's left for most drummers out there?.. And this goes for prog drummers too; they aren't individually so diverse either..

I just feel like we have seen his entire bag of tricks for the past 10 years. People would kill to have that bag of tricks but that is what I meant. Neil Peart, Bill Bruford and Mike Mangini to name a few continued to learn and evolve. Even MP has said this himself, he doesn't like to practice. If he can make the living and career he has without continuing to practice and improve more power to him.
I don't hear any improvement in Mangini's playing since he's in DT, but maybe that's just me..
Mangini do talk alot about working on improving and coming up with new fills on upcoming tours, just check his YT page. He practices alot and he's constantly try to push himself on his instrument.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #903 on: August 05, 2017, 08:40:29 AM »
I just feel like we have seen his entire bag of tricks for the past 10 years. People would kill to have that bag of tricks but that is what I meant. Neil Peart, Bill Bruford and Mike Mangini to name a few continued to learn and evolve. Even MP has said this himself, he doesn't like to practice. If he can make the living and career he has without continuing to practice and improve more power to him.
I don't hear any improvement in Mangini's playing since he's in DT, but maybe that's just me..
Mangini do talk alot about working on improving and coming up with new fills on upcoming tours, just check his YT page. He practices alot and he's constantly try to push himself on his instrument.

I'm sure he does.. And maybe when that can help [and is helping] him to evolve as a musician, I still don't hear what has bring his constant practice and so high technique to DT besides what we have already heard in ADToE and probably some new things in DT12.. He needs more time, I'm sure of it, but I don't think he (just to talk about MM) has been more diverse than MP regarding their contribution to DT.. And, yeap, then again, diversity doesn't necessarily mean quality either, so...
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #904 on: August 05, 2017, 08:43:39 AM »
This is the same old crap I've heard about for bands with longevity.  No musicians sound similar in their style because you've heard them so much over decades.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #905 on: August 05, 2017, 09:03:08 AM »
This is the same old crap I've heard about for bands with longevity.  No musicians sound similar in their style because you've heard them so much over decades.

I don't know if you're saying that for what I wrote because you didn't quote, but at least *I* was saying something entirely different.. Sure their styles aren't similar and have no reason to be similar.. The talk here is about practice and how can this make evolve a musician within certain band.. However, in my last post I included the "quality" factor, giving the real reason why I prefer Portnoy over Mangini.. But I'm not asking MM to be MP, in fact I'm not even asking him to be better (than what he already is); I'm just describing what I feel about the two of them..

Offline Skeever

« Reply #906 on: August 05, 2017, 09:08:39 AM »
Re: SECOND BOLDED PART
Nowhere, and I did not say I did.  All I was saying was that Portnoy has a recent history of saying how a new band he is in is a full time band, not a side project, only for him to shortly thereafter leave the band or go on a break, leading to my point that the same thing will happen with Sons of Apollo if they did not go over well with fans.

Well, we could just retroactively say that Sons of Apollo is simply PSMS having gone through three lineup changes. Maybe Bumblefoot even gets busy and gets replaced with McAlpine or Gilette eventually  :lol

I know it sounds silly, but that's just how today's industry differs from what it was even 10 years ago. Gone are the days of one band which has a longer term contractual relationship with a record label, where you expect to see the band evolve as time goes on, and here are the days where the same people affiliated people get 1-2 album deals with a variety of labels and wind up constantly re-branding themselves until something finally sticks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #907 on: August 05, 2017, 09:11:51 AM »

I don't know if you're saying that for what I wrote because you didn't quote, but at least *I* was saying something entirely different.. Sure their styles aren't similar and have no reason to be similar.. The talk here is about practice and how can this make evolve a musician within certain band.. However, in my last post I included the "quality" factor, giving the real reason why I prefer Portnoy over Mangini.. But I'm not asking MM to be MP, in fact I'm not even asking him to be better (than what he already is); I'm just describing what I feel about the two of them..

No, I'm talking about players not growing.  When we here a drummer for multiple decades they are not going to change that much in style.  They don't add to their repertoire that makes it mind blowing.  it's still their style.

I heard people complain about Neil Peart that was as an example.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #908 on: August 05, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »
I think there should be more competition between the two bands. It energizes everybody involved and can be inspiring. DT have had the market cornered on their brand of prog metal for years, if a DT-style Portnoy side project started to gain traction (unlikely) they might be motivated to work harder on the next album. The fans win in the end.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #909 on: August 05, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »
@kingshmegland - Ok, I agree with that..

@Mosh - Actually, no.. That's not how it works or should've work.. Music is no competition, and inspiration doesn't come from it.. Only the fans who wanna see more of the MP vs DT bs would "win" with something like that..