Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305459 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #840 on: August 02, 2017, 09:35:14 AM »
The band covering "And the Cradle Will Rock" during the Ultimate Jam paying tribute to David Z. Mike reunited too with The Winery Dogs and played with Dee Snider. I'm looking for the setlist but haven't found anything yet but zinna.tv streamed the event so I think they will upload the full show today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtvPbblJfDc
JSS is such a goofball.  :lol

He's giving Russell Allen a run for his money in the ham department.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #841 on: August 02, 2017, 09:47:48 AM »
The band covering "And the Cradle Will Rock" during the Ultimate Jam paying tribute to David Z. Mike reunited too with The Winery Dogs and played with Dee Snider. I'm looking for the setlist but haven't found anything yet but zinna.tv streamed the event so I think they will upload the full show today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtvPbblJfDc
JSS is such a goofball.  :lol

That delivered.  (Though I'm not sure that's what I want to see from Sons of Apollo).
Hahahaha. So that song was their live debut? LOL. Awesome.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #842 on: August 02, 2017, 10:34:07 AM »
Seeing that video, MP looks way more in place. All these guys are rocking and moving along with the music. In DT he was the most visual character because the rest are pretty much statues during a show. I like the energy these guys as a whole radiate.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #843 on: August 02, 2017, 10:59:31 AM »
And that video alone convinced me to see them live if I get the chance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #844 on: August 02, 2017, 11:09:16 AM »
It looks like a fun time, but I am not a fan of Roth era Van Halen. Soto doesn't look 51. I'd much rather see Shattered Fortress, but that ain't happening.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #845 on: August 02, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »
I like the singer's stage presence.  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #846 on: August 02, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »
I just want to take a moment to point out that JSS can't sing Mean Streak.  :D
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #847 on: August 02, 2017, 11:40:35 AM »
The live video had the opposite effect on me: didn't like JSS "cock-rock" stage presence, never liked Sheehan for his playing, tone, or belief in Scientology, never liked this particular song either.

I'm still excited for the album though!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #848 on: August 02, 2017, 01:16:25 PM »
The live video had the opposite effect on me: didn't like JSS "cock-rock" stage presence, never liked Sheehan for his playing, tone, or belief in Scientology, never liked this particular song either.

This exactly.. Never liked them (or knew about them at all) either.. MP/DS is why most of us are excited anyways..

Who cares about a name.. Looking forward to hear the music.. 7 years have passed without listening to that guy doing what he does better than anyone else.. It's about time!.. :metal

Write drum parts that repeat the same fills and beats he has been using for the past X years? Yeah nobody else does that better. :neverusethis:
On a serious note I'm going to check the album out, if only to appreciate good sounding drums in prog for a change.

I agree. I started noticing MP's lack of diversity in the later DT years. Although I do love the drums in the beginning for In the Presence of Enemies. I think because as he says he doesn't like to practice or improve. It's like Clint Eastwood acting, you wont be disappointed with the performance but don't expect anything different. MP is still in my top ten drummers by the way but mainly because of what he has done not what is doing.

But then, again, if Mike Portnoy is called repetitive, what's left for most drummers out there?.. And this goes for prog drummers too; they aren't individually so diverse either..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline bill1971

« Reply #849 on: August 02, 2017, 01:27:40 PM »

This exactly.. Never liked them (or knew about them at all) either.. MP/DS is why most of us are excited anyways..

Who cares about a name.. Looking forward to hear the music.. 7 years have passed without listening to that guy doing what he does better than anyone else.. It's about time!.. :metal

Write drum parts that repeat the same fills and beats he has been using for the past X years? Yeah nobody else does that better. :neverusethis:
On a serious note I'm going to check the album out, if only to appreciate good sounding drums in prog for a change.

I agree. I started noticing MP's lack of diversity in the later DT years. Although I do love the drums in the beginning for In the Presence of Enemies. I think because as he says he doesn't like to practice or improve. It's like Clint Eastwood acting, you wont be disappointed with the performance but don't expect anything different. MP is still in my top ten drummers by the way but mainly because of what he has done not what is doing.

But then, again, if Mike Portnoy is called repetitive, what's left for most drummers out there?.. And this goes for prog drummers too; they aren't individually so diverse either..

I just feel like we have seen his entire bag of tricks for the past 10 years. People would kill to have that bag of tricks but that is what I meant. Neil Peart, Bill Bruford and Mike Mangini to name a few continued to learn and evolve. Even MP has said this himself, he doesn't like to practice. If he can make the living and career he has without continuing to practice and improve more power to him.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #850 on: August 02, 2017, 01:48:30 PM »

I just feel like we have seen his entire bag of tricks for the past 10 years. People would kill to have that bag of tricks but that is what I meant. Neil Peart, Bill Bruford and Mike Mangini to name a few continued to learn and evolve. Even MP has said this himself, he doesn't like to practice. If he can make the living and career he has without continuing to practice and improve more power to him.

I agree, specially the bolded part.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #851 on: August 02, 2017, 01:51:51 PM »

But did he say that he doesn't practice, or only that he doesn't like to practice?.. Because every musician practice, least a bit, over the years, and more a guy of his age and dedication to the instrument (not to say obsession with it).. I don't hear any improvement in Mangini's playing since he's in DT, but maybe that's just me.. Talking about MP, yes, I agree that in his later years with DT he didn't "evolve" too much.. But even so he managed to create innovating fills every once in a while, like the ones at the start of TCoT..

Anyways, I'm all for listening to some refreshing drumming, but I won't precisely complain if I *just* happen to like the album or his drumming..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #852 on: August 02, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »

But did he say that he doesn't practice, or only that he doesn't like to practice?.. Because every musician practice, least a bit, over the years, and more a guy of his age and dedication to the instrument (not to say obsession with it).. I don't hear any improvement in Mangini's playing since he's in DT, but maybe that's just me.. Talking about MP, yes, I agree that in his later years with DT he didn't "evolve" too much.. But even so he managed to create innovating fills every once in a while, like the ones at the start of TCoT..

Definitely not Lars Ulrich  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #853 on: August 02, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »
Lars Ulrich is actually much better nowadays than he was in the DM slump. People need to get off that cirklejerk.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: August 02, 2017, 02:47:07 PM »

Anyways, I'm all for listening to some refreshing drumming, but I won't precisely complain if I *just* happen to like the album or his drumming..

He also said he is CONSTANTLY playing, in various bands of various genres, and while he doesn't spend hours and hours on that new paradiddle, he does keep his chops fresh. 

Frankly, I STILL hear stuff from Mike that makes me go "WTF?", even if it isn't because it's superhuman.   The pattern in the pre-chorus and chorus of The Storm is as special as anything he's put out, in my opinion. 

Offline bill1971

« Reply #855 on: August 02, 2017, 02:47:56 PM »
Lars Ulrich is actually much better nowadays than he was in the DM slump. People need to get off that cirklejerk.

I haven't heard him play live lately but thank you for that disturbing image.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: August 02, 2017, 02:49:34 PM »

I haven't heard him play live lately but thank you for that disturbing image.

He was pretty bad when I saw them in NJ earlier this year.  Even my non musical friend kept saying that Metallica was very sloppy.  Didn't ruin the show or anything, but the criticism is there for a reason.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #857 on: August 02, 2017, 04:54:51 PM »
From MP's forum:
But what to call the next great supergroup? “Derek was mainly the one behind the name,” says Portnoy. “I have a list that I keep on my phone of about a hundred different band names, which I constantly have to refer to every time I have a new band every year (laughs). So, I pulled up the list and Apollo was one of the names on the list. It was a word that both of us really liked. We started fiddling with different variations of the word. One of the original band names we were working with was Apollo Creed, the character from the ‘Rocky’ movies, but after lots of different discussions on different variations, Derek suggested SONS OF APOLLO and it seemed to stick. Apollo is the God of Music so with that in mind it seemed like a fitting name.”

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #858 on: August 02, 2017, 05:05:15 PM »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #859 on: August 02, 2017, 05:19:32 PM »

Unless it's trademarked, that guy is shit out of luck.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #860 on: August 02, 2017, 05:24:24 PM »

The obvious question there is, can those who buy this album live with the fact that a portion of Sheehan's earning are likely going to Tom Cruise? :lol :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #861 on: August 02, 2017, 05:39:11 PM »
Well, strictly speaking, a retweet without any explanation does on its face mean, "I agree."  And, by extension, if there isn't any explanation carving out any part of it that isn't agreed with, that means agreement with the whole thing.  But, yeah, "People get lazy on social media," as in regular speech.  So I think you are still correct that we shouldn't necessarily assume something negative, especially if there isn't a pattern as there is with certain other people that are the topic of discussion in this thread.

Yeah that's pretty much my thought as well. A retweet to me without anything else is full agreement of the original tweet. But like you said, there is no pattern of this with DS, in fact he's been really great with addressing his time in DT publicly since he was fired.

Yes, I agree. DS has been very cool. Probably just a one off moment.

Maybe not. (In reply to Mike's Tweet saying it's been 20 years since he was in a band with Derek)
https://twitter.com/bloodsweatmusic/status/892579525795643392

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #862 on: August 02, 2017, 05:42:06 PM »
Why would he say it has been 20 years when it has only been 18?  Are we rounding up now?  It has been 10 years since Neal Morse Band's last record!!! :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #863 on: August 02, 2017, 08:18:20 PM »
I asked to Ron Thal on Facebook:
Amazing news, Ron! How much input did you have on the songwriting?
- Complete teamwork by all, happy to say :)  Very involved :)
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #864 on: August 03, 2017, 04:59:09 AM »
Watched the live debut clip yesterday, got me even more excited for the project!

Soto sounds great live, but what struck me is the fact that Ron Thal can sing!

With Soto, Sheehan and Thal, I'm not at all worried about the singing department of Sons of Apollo!

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #865 on: August 03, 2017, 05:15:53 AM »
Yeah, the live clip was awesome! I like their chemistry, and I really like how animated on stage they all are.  :tup
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #866 on: August 03, 2017, 06:06:39 AM »
1) Sherinian as a music in his solo album Black Utopia called Sons of Anu, don't know if there's any relation with Sons of Apollo.

2) Psychotic Symphony --> PS --> Portnoy Sherinian

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #867 on: August 03, 2017, 07:01:04 AM »
1) Sherinian as a music in his solo album Black Utopia called Sons of Anu, don't know if there's any relation with Sons of Apollo.

2) Psychotic Symphony --> PS --> Portnoy Sherinian
Cool nugget :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Art

« Reply #868 on: August 03, 2017, 07:15:14 AM »
My only doubt about this group is about Bumblefoot. I only heard about him when he was in GNR, and my only thoughts were "what a silly name". I don't know anything else about his career, or if he's on the same level as the other guys.

For the rest of the band:
- MP is my favorite prog drummer. I really hope this band takes off and he can focus on it.
- Derek is awesome and i think he's the main composer here (which is good, because his solo albuns are very prog metal and are very good).
- Billy Sheehan is a great bass player and showman. He definetely got the chops to play with the rest of the guys. He wouldn't be my choice because he's done lots of other things with MP in the last years. I would love to see a guy like Mike LePond here (or Symphony X's first bass player, Thomas Miller, that would be a dream), but ok, can't complain about Billy.
- JSS is an incredible singer that can sing metalqprog/har rock/pop...you name it. Very happy that he's the choice.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: August 03, 2017, 07:34:51 AM »

Unless it's trademarked, that guy is shit out of luck.

Yeah, and if it's the same band I saw the link to - trying and failing miserably to do a passable "Echoes" by Floyd - then he certainly knows "crap", because he's been delivering it for 10 years.  :)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #870 on: August 03, 2017, 08:55:50 AM »
I agree about Mike Lepond, he is a fantastic bass player and songwriter. His solo album "Silent Assassins" is a metal masterpiece!  He is not the original bass player for Symphony X, but he's been with them for most of their catalogue up until now.
 He would be a good fit in Mike Portnoy's group for sure, even though I seriously doubt they can top Mike Leponds Silent Assassins album.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:09:45 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #871 on: August 03, 2017, 09:04:04 AM »
20 Years?

when did Mike and Derek last play with PSMS?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: August 03, 2017, 10:25:23 AM »
20 Years?

when did Mike and Derek last play with PSMS?

Last month?  Ba-dum-PAH!   Be here all week.  Try the veal! 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #873 on: August 03, 2017, 10:46:04 AM »
I agree about Mike Lepond, he is a fantastic bass player and songwriter. His solo album "Silent Assassins" is a metal masterpiece!  He is not the original bass player for Symphony X, but he's been with them for most of their catalogue up until now.
 He would be a good fit in Mike Portnoy's group for sure, even though I seriously doubt they can top Mike Leponds Silent Assassins album.

That is an awesome album!!  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #874 on: August 03, 2017, 10:59:52 AM »
With Soto, Sheehan and Thal, I'm not at all worried about the singing department of Sons of Apollo!

I can imagine something like this happening:

MP: Guys, I know all of you sing very well and are much better vocalsits than me, but I really feel we should add some grows on this section, you know. I can make it work out, don't worry.

*15 mins later

ROOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH

:rollin