Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305552 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #805 on: August 01, 2017, 02:59:18 PM »
Surprised nobody has commented on the album name yet ("Psychotic symphony"). Sounds like straight out of bandnamemaker.com :lol
Sycsa commented on it earlier. He said Pretentious Prog terminology..  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #806 on: August 01, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »
From Youtube comments:
So, you basically take Tony MacAlpine out of PSMS, and now you have PSSST...  :lol :lol :lol

PSSST would be an amazing band name. Imagine the album titles and how the covers would play on that band name...

PSSST - Listen To This!
PSSST - I've Got A Secret...
PSSST - Guess What?
PSSST - Whatcha Doin'?

-Marc.

Indeed, thinking better, it would be a really cool name! I can imagine Marco Minnemann in a band called like this :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #807 on: August 01, 2017, 03:12:18 PM »
Surprised nobody has commented on the album name yet ("Psychotic symphony"). Sounds like straight out of bandnamemaker.com :lol

I'm surprised they didn't go for "Psychotic Psymphony", to be honest.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #808 on: August 01, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »
Mike Portnoy - Psychotic Drumphony

... lol

I know, he's not a phony.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #809 on: August 01, 2017, 03:40:22 PM »

... lol

Psychotic SymDRUMy?  :millahhhh

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #810 on: August 01, 2017, 03:40:44 PM »
Big JSS fan. Not sure about 4th, but Marching Our rates pretty high with me, as well. Really missed DS's keys. He was basically ignored in BCC. Really tired of Sheehan. Maybe his prog-stylings will be more to my liking, but I'm not super hopeful. Unfamiliar with Bumblefoot.

Sounds like he's really looking to recreate DT from the samples. Part of it is DS (unmistakable), but the music itself is derivative. Something I'm curious about is how much input the other guys have. THere's a lot of talent in that band. I know MP has said that it's his band, in no uncertain terms, but I wonder how much control he's exercising. Partly because I'd like to hear what the other guys bring, but also because that's not how you keep a group together. Assuming he intends to do more than one album, will JSS or RBT still want to play?

Also, checking YT for the sample thing, it seems there's a different band called Sons of Apollo. Some of the videos are 9+ years old. MP's been around the block, so I figured they're on this, but does seem unusual.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #811 on: August 01, 2017, 03:41:23 PM »

... lol

Drumdrumic Drumdrumy

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #812 on: August 01, 2017, 03:55:40 PM »
My excitement for this has got a lot higher with JSS in the band. Great voice. Can sing the phone book and Maldives it sound great.

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #813 on: August 01, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »
I'm a big fan of Derek so I'll be checking this out. Not convinced this is going to be some huge thing for these guys yet, I feel like MP has said that many times for a couple of bands since DT, and they're never as constant a priority as they're made out to be.

IMO should have went with new people. Guess he just really enjoys working with Billy or something. Again not a dig against them or anything.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #814 on: August 01, 2017, 04:23:08 PM »
I think that the people who have been clamoring for MP to do the DT thing again, this is perfect. Sounds like a DT clone band for the most part, but with different vocals.

I was hoping for something different, but we'll see.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #815 on: August 01, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »
I think that the people who have been clamoring for MP to do the DT thing again, this is perfect. Sounds like a DT clone band for the most part, but with different vocals.

Well said, but I've been expecting something like this exactly from that band. With those YT samples we can predict some real crazy stuff. Don't know Bumblefoot too much, but I assume that we can count on some 16:7 56:78 1:8 and 9:16 ;)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #816 on: August 01, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »
this seems like it may resemble G3-like work, than traditional progressive metal.

Still hope Mike manages to work in an all-original music band with either/both John Arch or Daniel Gildenlow someday.

Also would love to see him do a more overt Power-Pop project with Roger Manning and/or Ty Tabor.

But those bands/projects seem like if they ever happen, won't until next decade.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #817 on: August 01, 2017, 04:45:22 PM »

I haven't bee clamoring for anything, but a DT clone band with JSS and Sherinian sounds like a fantastic thing in my book.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #818 on: August 01, 2017, 04:56:14 PM »
And just follow any of Mike's other bands for different.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: August 01, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »
Sons of Apollo... OF FIRE!

Power prog now  ;D

This from BM comments..............

They should have contacted me, I could have done the guitar, bass, drums and vocals.....

Yngwie

:lol

My excitement for this has got a lot higher with JSS in the band. Great voice. Can sing the phone book and Maldives it sound great.

Awesome for the people of the Maldives - bet they weren't expecting a tour.  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #820 on: August 01, 2017, 05:14:23 PM »
Sons of Apollo... OF FIRE!

Power prog now  ;D

This from BM comments..............

They should have contacted me, I could have done the guitar, bass, drums and vocals.....

Yngwie

:lol

Awesome for the people of the Maldives - bet they weren't expecting a tour.  :metal
Just remembering a great holiday there... really should start wearing my reading glasses...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #821 on: August 01, 2017, 05:18:18 PM »

... lol

Drumdrumic Drumdrumy

Yes.

God, yes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #822 on: August 01, 2017, 05:20:25 PM »
Psychosane Symphony?  :lol :lol

Those clips didn't much for me, but I'll wait and see what some people are saying about it once it is released.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #823 on: August 01, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »
 I'm going to double back and read the entire thread later. But I'm assuming everybody's already beaten to death how awful that name is.

Seriously? Sons of Apollo? There were choices....and 5guys collectively agreed on SONS OF APOLLO?

Wyld Stallyns would have been less corny.

I love the lineup, and I'm excited for the release....but I'd be way too embarrassed to tell anyone I listen to......that name....

I'll buy the album, but I'm betting they aren't gonna sell a lot of T-shirts.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #824 on: August 01, 2017, 05:44:05 PM »
Was disappointed that there weren't any surprises with the lineup, and nothing about the lineup other than MP or DS excites me...  But after hearing the sound clips a few times I'm excited.  At first I was thinking it was just cliché metal prog (and there's really nothing in the clip to convince me otherwise), but if I pretend I have never heard of the people in the lineup it sounds great!

I predicted to myself the other day that the announcement would come with a medley clip of songs, clips so short you can't tell anything about the songs, and I was dead on!  I was specifically remembering a clip medley from BC&SL that was completely pointless.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: August 01, 2017, 06:37:30 PM »
The sampler was okay, nothing really grabbed me but still looking forward to it.  A lot of obvious DT references in there.  Don't really know anything about Bumblefoot so eager to hear what he brings.

JSS is always a beast.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #826 on: August 01, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »
I'm going to double back and read the entire thread later. But I'm assuming everybody's already beaten to death how awful that name is.

Seriously? Sons of Apollo? There were choices....and 5guys collectively agreed on SONS OF APOLLO?

I love the lineup, and I'm excited for the release....but I'd be way too embarrassed to tell anyone I listen to......that name....

The band name is bad already, but I think the album name is much worse  ???
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #827 on: August 01, 2017, 08:19:24 PM »
Who cares about a name.. Looking forward to hear the music.. 7 years have passed without listening to that guy doing what he does better than anyone else.. It's about time!.. :metal
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #828 on: August 01, 2017, 10:02:28 PM »
Who cares about a name.. Looking forward to hear the music.. 7 years have passed without listening to that guy doing what he does better than anyone else.. It's about time!.. :metal

Write drum parts that repeat the same fills and beats he has been using for the past X years? Yeah nobody else does that better. :neverusethis:
On a serious note I'm going to check the album out, if only to appreciate good sounding drums in prog for a change.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #829 on: August 01, 2017, 10:16:57 PM »
A part of the samples sound like Planet X a little bit, and that's understandable, considering how Derek's sound played a huge part in that band. I always thought that bands like Planet X would be more successful if they had vocals, so I'm excited for this project. But you're right, the band's name and the album title are as cheesy as it gets.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #830 on: August 01, 2017, 10:45:02 PM »
Listened to the sample again, so here are my thoughts...

Snippet 1 - Very cool keyboard line and sound, love the full-band entrance too. Sounds like it'll be the album opener, but if it isn't great song intro (assuming it is one).

Snippet 2 - This definitely sounds more middle-era Dream Theater to me, though the guitars in the second part of this bit are a bit more defining, though we only hear a measure or so of it.

Snippet 3 - The first vocals we hear! They're not bad, but this sounds like a verse or pre-chorus, so there's no chance to hear a soaring vocal melody for the chorus proper, which I can only hope where JSS shines. As it is, there isn't much else to get from this bit.

Snippet 4 - Some more DT-ish noodling, despite all being in 4/4, is still sounds cool. Is that a key and guitar unison I hear?

Snippet 5 - The second bit of vocals, which sounds like a chorus here! Very short bit, but I liked this one more.

Snippet 6 - Now THIS is more like it. Very DT-instrumental-middle-section-ish here, and it sounds pretty good. Love the over-all feel here, and Mike is employing his usual use of splashes for accents that I enjoy.

Snippet 7 - The third vocal bit, and it's a very short one, sounds like a chorus into a bridge, maybe? Or another verse perhaps.

Snippet 8 - MY FAVORITE BIT! I need MORE of this. The guitars are on FIRE and I love the feel of the whole bit. I hope there's more of that on the album!

Snippet 9 - The last piece we get, and of course, it's the end of a song, which isn't anything too special here.

Assuming Mike pieced this together and each snippet is representative of a unique and separate song, we're looking at 9 songs on the album, though I could be WAY off base and there could be anywhere between 3 and 12 songs. Who knows! Either way, I hope it's an album that's at LEAST an hour long, and 80 minutes would be amazing. DS and MP seem really hyped up about this so I hope they made the maximum amount of music for this project, and I hope there's a Making Of/Behind The Scenes documentary with the album as well. I'd love to see how they put everything together, who wrote what, and how it was all done. One of my favorite parts of Neal Morse's documentaries is seeing Mike piece together the epics, and make arrangement suggestions for everyone, as, despite what some may think of his personality and drumming, his ear for arrangements is pretty top-notch. Being a HUGE music fan really shows because he's got a good ear for how music should sound, especially epics. If you listen to Neal's demos for the second Transatlantic album, and then watch the documentary for it and listen to the final songs, you can really get a sense of how much work went into those demos to change them up into the final pieces, and Mike definitely had a lot to do with that. It's actually one of the things I miss most about his absence in Dream Theater - his arranging.

At any rate, the snippets are good, but I'm not going to over-excite myself over them just yet. It is *promising* at best, and I'm sure a single will drop before September, probably when pre-orders will go out. Judging on what that first single may sound like may determine if I pre-order this one or not. At the very least, I can say I am happy with how these songs SOUND in terms of production. There's a lot of punch to the drums and the bass guitar comes through nicely.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #831 on: August 02, 2017, 06:20:28 AM »
The band covering "And the Cradle Will Rock" during the Ultimate Jam paying tribute to David Z. Mike reunited too with The Winery Dogs and played with Dee Snider. I'm looking for the setlist but haven't found anything yet but zinna.tv streamed the event so I think they will upload the full show today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtvPbblJfDc
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:39:53 AM by the keyboard wizard »
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #832 on: August 02, 2017, 07:22:31 AM »
Listened to the sample again, so here are my thoughts...

Snippet 1 - Very cool keyboard line and sound, love the full-band entrance too. Sounds like it'll be the album opener, but if it isn't great song intro (assuming it is one).

Snippet 2 - This definitely sounds more middle-era Dream Theater to me, though the guitars in the second part of this bit are a bit more defining, though we only hear a measure or so of it.

Snippet 3 - The first vocals we hear! They're not bad, but this sounds like a verse or pre-chorus, so there's no chance to hear a soaring vocal melody for the chorus proper, which I can only hope where JSS shines. As it is, there isn't much else to get from this bit.

Snippet 4 - Some more DT-ish noodling, despite all being in 4/4, is still sounds cool. Is that a key and guitar unison I hear?

Snippet 5 - The second bit of vocals, which sounds like a chorus here! Very short bit, but I liked this one more.

Snippet 6 - Now THIS is more like it. Very DT-instrumental-middle-section-ish here, and it sounds pretty good. Love the over-all feel here, and Mike is employing his usual use of splashes for accents that I enjoy.

Snippet 7 - The third vocal bit, and it's a very short one, sounds like a chorus into a bridge, maybe? Or another verse perhaps.

Snippet 8 - MY FAVORITE BIT! I need MORE of this. The guitars are on FIRE and I love the feel of the whole bit. I hope there's more of that on the album!

Snippet 9 - The last piece we get, and of course, it's the end of a song, which isn't anything too special here.

Assuming Mike pieced this together and each snippet is representative of a unique and separate song, we're looking at 9 songs on the album, though I could be WAY off base and there could be anywhere between 3 and 12 songs. Who knows! Either way, I hope it's an album that's at LEAST an hour long, and 80 minutes would be amazing. DS and MP seem really hyped up about this so I hope they made the maximum amount of music for this project, and I hope there's a Making Of/Behind The Scenes documentary with the album as well. I'd love to see how they put everything together, who wrote what, and how it was all done. One of my favorite parts of Neal Morse's documentaries is seeing Mike piece together the epics, and make arrangement suggestions for everyone, as, despite what some may think of his personality and drumming, his ear for arrangements is pretty top-notch. Being a HUGE music fan really shows because he's got a good ear for how music should sound, especially epics. If you listen to Neal's demos for the second Transatlantic album, and then watch the documentary for it and listen to the final songs, you can really get a sense of how much work went into those demos to change them up into the final pieces, and Mike definitely had a lot to do with that. It's actually one of the things I miss most about his absence in Dream Theater - his arranging.

At any rate, the snippets are good, but I'm not going to over-excite myself over them just yet. It is *promising* at best, and I'm sure a single will drop before September, probably when pre-orders will go out. Judging on what that first single may sound like may determine if I pre-order this one or not. At the very least, I can say I am happy with how these songs SOUND in terms of production. There's a lot of punch to the drums and the bass guitar comes through nicely.

-Marc.
I agree with everything you wrote. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. Color me eager, it just became my most anticipated album of the year.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: August 02, 2017, 07:22:51 AM »
The band covering "And the Cradle Will Rock" during the Ultimate Jam paying tribute to David Z. Mike reunited too with The Winery Dogs and played with Dee Snider. I'm looking for the setlist but haven't found anything yet but zinna.tv streamed the event so I think they will upload the full show today.

:metal :metal

Offline Skeever

« Reply #834 on: August 02, 2017, 07:29:47 AM »

Sure but this is a genre that includes bands named things like "Dream Theater", "Symphony X", and "Shadow Gallery" so I think they're in good company.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #835 on: August 02, 2017, 07:46:55 AM »
JSS is such a goofball.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #836 on: August 02, 2017, 08:37:35 AM »

:metal :metal

Sounds Awesome!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #837 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:26 AM »
LOVE the band name.

The snippets don't really work for me (other than to put my mind a LITTLE at ease about JSS), but then again, they never do. I thought the new VH was going to SUCK from the snippets and it was my album of the year (and a contender for my album of the decade).

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #838 on: August 02, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »
JSS is such a goofball.  :lol

Hahahaha. So that song was their live debut? LOL. Awesome.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bill1971

« Reply #839 on: August 02, 2017, 08:54:39 AM »

Write drum parts that repeat the same fills and beats he has been using for the past X years? Yeah nobody else does that better. :neverusethis:
On a serious note I'm going to check the album out, if only to appreciate good sounding drums in prog for a change.

I agree. I started noticing MP's lack of diversity in the later DT years. Although I do love the drums in the beginning for In the Presence of Enemies. I think because as he says he doesn't like to practice or improve. It's like Clint Eastwood acting, you wont be disappointed with the performance but don't expect anything different. MP is still in my top ten drummers by the way but mainly because of what he has done not what is doing.