Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305609 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #735 on: August 01, 2017, 08:59:01 AM »
I guess I am feeling different than the rest with regards to this.  The clips sound like there's a lot of potential here.  The thing I worry about the most is the vocals.  I'm not sure yet if I really enjoy them, but I can't say I do or don't just from the teaser.  But I really like Billy on bass and although he's involved with a lot of MP stuff, I can't sit here and say I can't/won't enjoy this just because of that.  I like his sound and I think he could be really good on this.  I'm actually excited to hear more after this whereas my interest level was very low to start.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #736 on: August 01, 2017, 09:04:47 AM »
I like it!!!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #737 on: August 01, 2017, 09:05:22 AM »
Sounds like mid-career DT with a different vocalist, I am interested! But these samples are horribly paced, can't really make anything out of them the way they are cut, outside that the sound and musical direction appeals to me.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #738 on: August 01, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »
So Sheehan :) ok, I can deal with that ;) lot of Derek's keyboards in those clips which is fine. Sounds promising, very DTish, somewhere between SDOIT and ToT.  :tup

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: August 01, 2017, 09:16:55 AM »
Quote from: MP
SONS OF APOLLO
FEATURING EX-MEMBERS OF DREAM THEATER, GUNS N’ ROSES AND JOURNEY
DEBUT ALBUM, ‘PSYCHOTIC SYMPHONY,’
DUE OUT OCTOBER 20 ON INSIDEOUTMUSIC/SONY MUSIC
APOLLO: The ancient Greek and Roman God of music and poetry.
SONS OF APOLLO: The new supergroup featuring members of Dream Theater, Mr. Big, Guns ‘N Roses, and Journey.
For the past few months, rumors have been circulating about a new secret project including former Dream Theater members Mike Portnoy and Derek Sherinian. Now, the time has come to make the grand and highly anticipated introduction to their new band, SONS OF APOLLO.
Reuniting to form SONS OF APOLLO, Portnoy and Sherinian have joined forces with Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (ex-Guns N’ Roses), Billy Sheehan (The Winery Dogs, Mr. Big, David Lee Roth) and Jeff Scott Soto (ex-Journey, ex-Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force). Their debut album, PSYCHOTIC SYMPHONY, will be released October 20 on InsideOutMusic/Sony Music. An album teaser can be seen on InsideOutMusic’s official YouTube page here: https://youtu.be/kPN2DttzlZQ
PSYCHOTIC SYMPHONY was produced by the dynamic production duo of Portnoy and Sherinian, also affectionately known as “The Del Fuvio Brothers,” which is the nickname given to them over 20 years ago during their time together in Dream Theater.
SONS OF APOLLO got together very organically, as Portnoy explains: “Derek and I reunited shortly after I left Dream Theater in 2010 and we put together an all-instrumental touring band with he and I, Billy Sheehan, and Tony MacAlpine. That was my first time working with Derek since the ‘90s when he was in Dream Theater and it was just great to be working with him again. Ever since that tour, which was really just a one-off live thing, he has been nudging me to start a real, original, full-time band. The timing just had never been right, because I had too many other things on my plate. Long story short, the time was finally right to take the bait and put together a band.”
“Mike and I work at a relentless pace in the studio,” continues Sherinian. “The music is modern, but we have an old school soul. What is unique about SONS OF APOLLO is that we have true rock n’ roll swagger along with the virtuosity-- a lethal combination!”
But what to call the next great supergroup? “Derek was mainly the one behind the name,” says Portnoy. “I have a list that I keep on my phone of about a hundred different band names, which I constantly have to refer to every time I have a new band every year (laughs). So, I pulled up the list and Apollo was one of the names on the list. It was a word that both of us really liked. We started fiddling with different variations of the word. One of the original band names we were working with was Apollo Creed, the character from the ‘Rocky’ movies, but after lots of different discussions on different variations, Derek suggested SONS OF APOLLO and it seemed to stick. Apollo is the God of Music so with that in mind it seemed like a fitting name.”
Mike Portnoy, Derek Sherinian and Billy Sheehan previously toured together in 2012 and 2013 as PSMS (along with guitarist Tony MacAlpine), playing all instrumental versions from each of their previously recorded music. SONS OF APOLLO is the next logical progression by adding a vocalist and creating all-original material. The band incorporates the progressive style and individual technical prowess that Portnoy & Sherinian shared together in Dream Theater combined with the swagger and groove of Van Halen, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin.
“I have known Mike and Derek for a long time, so when they came to me with Sons of Apollo, I jumped on this straight away,” says Thomas Waber, Label Manager/A&R International of InsideOutMusic. “However, the album they ended up recording exceeded my already high expectations by a long mile! We couldn’t be happier about it!”
SONS OF APOLLO will hit the road in 2018 for their first worldwide tour.
“This is a real band,” Portnoy declares. “This is going to pick up for me and Billy where The Winery Dogs left off, in terms of this being the next logical full-time thing for us. I’m not saying The Winery Dogs have broken up, because we haven’t, we’re just on a break. SONS OF APOLLO is absolutely going to be a full-time band and we plan on touring all over the world all throughout 2018 and, honestly, it is the priority for all five of us.”
Sherinian agrees, “We will go on a worldwide crusade in 2018 to bring SONS OF APOLLO to as many people as possible. Apollo was the God of Music, and we are his mighty offspring!”

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #740 on: August 01, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »
I think Bumblefoot is actually the most exciting part of the project. I've heard some of his solo stuff which sounded more punk to me. I know he is versatile so I'm excited to see what he'll do with prog metal.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #741 on: August 01, 2017, 09:19:43 AM »
I'm optimistic! :tup

Sheehan onboard is a plus for me! Never heard of the vocalist, but he sounds great. Getting mid 2000-era DT, and some Iconoclast era SX vibes from what I heard.

Definitely a lot of potential here!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #742 on: August 01, 2017, 09:35:54 AM »

Sheehan onboard is a plus for me! Never heard of the vocalist, but he sounds great. Getting mid 2000-era DT, and some Iconoclast era SX vibes from what I heard.

You've never heard of Jeff Scott Soto? Go YouTube him. Trust me, you won't regret it. He's sung for Yngwie, Journey, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and a ton of other smaller bands.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #743 on: August 01, 2017, 09:39:50 AM »
Wow and the album it's out also on 20th October, the same day as new Europe record  :biggrin: my wallet will be soooooo empty  :biggrin:

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #744 on: August 01, 2017, 09:45:28 AM »
Ok, we'll see where this goes. I had wished for another singer but in the end it's the overall package that has to deliver. And I'm curious how much of a regular band they will be, all of them have a large amount of other things going.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #745 on: August 01, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »
From the lineup alone I wouldn't be all that excited (and wasn't when literally EVERY ONE OF THEM had been deduced) but I'm never one to pre-judge and honestly those teasers sounded really cool. In as much as anything can be learned from teasers (which is very little) there was a great energy that suggests some really good potential. We'll just have to wait and see how it translates into full songs.

EDIT: Oh and as someone who's not especially familiar with JSS, he sounds great in the samples.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #746 on: August 01, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »
Why I can only see Facebook posts from Sons Of Apollo profile and no particular Facebook profile which I could like ?  :-\

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #747 on: August 01, 2017, 09:52:44 AM »

You've never heard of Jeff Scott Soto? Go YouTube him. Trust me, you won't regret it. He's sung for Yngwie, Journey, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and a ton of other smaller bands.

Yngwie's Marching Out is my #4 all time Favorite Vocal performance by anyone.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #748 on: August 01, 2017, 09:59:21 AM »
I'm hoping this is really the case:

The band incorporates the progressive style and individual technical prowess that Portnoy & Sherinian shared together in Dream Theater combined with the swagger and groove of Van Halen, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #749 on: August 01, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »
Okay cool :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Art

« Reply #750 on: August 01, 2017, 10:18:55 AM »
Sounds awesome. I like it!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #751 on: August 01, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »
The samples are promising!!!! I already like this son of Apollo, so let´s see what the other ones have to bring:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #752 on: August 01, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »
Music sounds like DT which is fine (I'm fine with dirivitiveness if it sounds good), but the vocal melodies are severely lacking.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #753 on: August 01, 2017, 10:33:19 AM »
The secret lineup that was no secret at all!  :lol

I actually like the lineup, with the exception of Billy. I just don't like the way he overplays everything with the same old and tired licks.

Based ond the snippets, it sounds promising, but we can't really judge a band by just a few seconds of a couple songs. I'll have to wait for the first single to see how this really sounds.

About the name, I just don't dig it, but that's not too important, anyway.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #754 on: August 01, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »
Music sounds like DT which is fine (I'm fine with dirivitiveness if it sounds good), but the vocal melodies are severely lacking.

I didn't get too excited with the vocals either.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #755 on: August 01, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »
I like what I am hearing so far

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #756 on: August 01, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »

One, two and three?

(And mad props for being able to whip out "No. 4 all time Favorite Vocal performance" in about nine seconds notice.)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #757 on: August 01, 2017, 10:53:56 AM »
It sounded....fine. Just very generic.

I'll give the actual album a shot, but if this was supposed to increase excitement, for me, it has failed at that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #758 on: August 01, 2017, 10:54:59 AM »
The music was a mixed bag for me from the sample, but being completely unfamiliar with JSS I thought the vocals sounded pretty good. Will still definitely buy right away.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: August 01, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »
Liked the sample but didn't like JSS. I'll give the album a listen though.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: August 01, 2017, 11:12:49 AM »
I'm the opposide. Liked JSS but didn't like the sample. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #761 on: August 01, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »
Count me in the meh crowd. I look forward to hearing more, but the samples didn't do much for me. Players with chops for days but nothing grabbed me. Hopefully that changes.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #762 on: August 01, 2017, 11:15:15 AM »
I can see them opening for DT.

:neverusethis:

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #763 on: August 01, 2017, 11:40:22 AM »
Yeah, I liked the vocals but wasn't really blown away by anything else. Hard to judge based on samples though, so I'll hold off on judgment until we hear a full song.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: August 01, 2017, 11:43:52 AM »
This sounds like Winery Dogs with a keyboard player and a little more progressive time signatures. Mike and Billy has done too much "supergroups" in the past so this sound bit lame. That's shame because I could really like if Mike did a prog metal supergroup with for example Eric Gillette and Haken guys...
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #765 on: August 01, 2017, 11:46:10 AM »
This sounds like Winery Dogs with a keyboard player and a little more progressive time signatures. Mike and Billy has done too much "supergroups" in the past so this sound bit lame. That's shame because I could really like if Mike did a prog metal supergroup with for example Eric Gillette and Haken guys...

They're in a cover band together, it's called The Shattered Fortress  :biggrin:

Offline romdrums

« Reply #766 on: August 01, 2017, 11:52:47 AM »
This may be the first thing of Mike's post-DT projects that I'm legitimately interested in.  Sounds like it has potential.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: August 01, 2017, 12:01:27 PM »

Yes... he's fantastic on that album!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #768 on: August 01, 2017, 12:04:13 PM »
Just listened to the sample. Sounds really wanky and boring. JSS' voice isn't doing anything for me.
All that combined with the fact that Billy Sheehan is in the band has made my interest in this project drop significantly.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #769 on: August 01, 2017, 12:12:10 PM »
So he basically formed PSMS into a real band switching guitarists and adding vocalist.

I'll wait till they release a full song. But based on who's in it, I'm hearing a more Old school style rock mixed with prog metal. I haven't checked the clips yet.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD