Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305567 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #700 on: July 27, 2017, 06:16:01 PM »
A retweet doesnt mean someone agrees with everything states. He could just be RT because of the compliment he was given in it.

Jumping to dramatic conclusions leads to drama and bs...
I agree, though MP gets a lot of aggro for the same thing.

MP goes further than just retweeting though.... ex when asked if he hates canadians his answer was "only one"

Maybe he refers to Justin Bieber

I mean Chad Kroeger from Nickelback gets plenty of hate.  It could easily be him.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #701 on: July 28, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »
Interesting to hear MP confirm it's a five piece. Can't recall hearing that before.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #702 on: July 30, 2017, 05:33:31 AM »
A little bit of info here

https://youtu.be/wLxqNFXKQtI

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #703 on: July 30, 2017, 10:54:29 PM »
Quite interesting interview (I didn't know that They are playing other DT songs like The Mirror live with The Shattered Fortress), Well If I could predict who would be that three members - I say - one Haken member (guitar/bass), vocal JSS, bassist... Conner form Haken, Sheehan, LaRue... the bassist it's the most hard mamber to figure out for me to be honest ;)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #704 on: July 31, 2017, 02:09:22 PM »
From MP Facebook, news tomorrow.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #705 on: July 31, 2017, 05:32:08 PM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #706 on: July 31, 2017, 05:37:03 PM »
I will be VERY disappointed if Billy Sheehan is the bassist for this band  :-\
Excited about the MP/DS collab again, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #707 on: August 01, 2017, 03:38:13 AM »
I'll be very happy if Sheehan is the bass player in this project! Guy is a force of nature with his instrument, and he elevates every project he is a part of..

Haven't followed news about this very closely, but I'm excited! It'll be interesting to see MP back in the world of Prog Metal.

It's also great to see him play with Derek again! I love his contributions in DT discography!

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #708 on: August 01, 2017, 06:30:53 AM »
If this project has any hope of touring anytime soon, I don't see it being Sheehan.  He and Mr. Big should be out on the road touring their new album any day now.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #709 on: August 01, 2017, 06:56:41 AM »
Mike confirmed that the band will be touring in 2018.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #710 on: August 01, 2017, 07:43:43 AM »
The one thing I'm hoping for is a good singer (well, good songs too off course...). I know for example a lot of prog fans like Haken but their singer kind of ruins it for me, don't much care for him.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: August 01, 2017, 07:47:10 AM »
Introducing SONS OF APOLLO!
For the past few months, rumours have been circulating about a new secret project including former Dream Theater members Mike Portnoy and Derek Sherinian. Now, the time has come to make the grand and highly anticipated introduction to their new band, SONS OF APOLLO.
Reuniting to form SONS OF APOLLO, Portnoy and Sherinian have joined forces with Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (ex-Guns N’ Roses), Billy Sheehan (The Winery Dogs, Mr. Big, David Lee Roth) and Jeff Scott Soto (ex-Journey, ex-Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force).
Their debut album, PSYCHOTIC SYMPHONY, will be released 20th October on InsideOutMusic/Sony Music. An album teaser can be seen on InsideOutMusic’s YouTube page here: https://youtu.be/kPN2DttzlZQ

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #712 on: August 01, 2017, 07:48:46 AM »
Wow, looks like the fans were right.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #713 on: August 01, 2017, 07:51:42 AM »
In general, I'm not a big fan of Sheehan or Bumblefoot, likely because of Eddie Trunk's worship of them on That Metal Show. 

But that album teaser sounds really cool.  JSS is a beast and it's nice to see him with Portnoy doing some progressive metal.  Very interested in this project!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #714 on: August 01, 2017, 07:55:24 AM »
I'll definitely give this album a listen.  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #715 on: August 01, 2017, 07:58:17 AM »
For me, this project hinged on the vocalist.

But being that it's JSS, I'll be all over this!
I am not at all familiar with Thal.

EDIT: The teaser sounds awesome.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:04:18 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #717 on: August 01, 2017, 08:02:40 AM »
Wow, it sure sounds DT-influenced. I like it.  :tup
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: August 01, 2017, 08:03:24 AM »
Not the people I envisioned when Mike said Prog Metal supergroup but i will check it out.

The snippets don't hook me as I would have hoped.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #719 on: August 01, 2017, 08:03:49 AM »
Meh

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: August 01, 2017, 08:04:24 AM »
Love the name and can't wait to hear the album.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #721 on: August 01, 2017, 08:05:02 AM »
Meh

my first reaction as well.  feel I've heard this all before.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #722 on: August 01, 2017, 08:11:28 AM »
Wow, so I'm a bit surprised that there are no "surprises" in the lineup.  We called every one of them.  Nice job, Internet sleuths.  :lol  Well, these guys all have serious chops.  I guess now we wait and see whether the songs actually hold up.  Here's to high hopes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #723 on: August 01, 2017, 08:12:17 AM »

Yeah, same here.  But then again, snippets out of context rarely do.  I need to hear whole songs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #724 on: August 01, 2017, 08:13:31 AM »
Wow, it sure sounds DT-influenced. I like it.  :tup

And you can HEAR the drums!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #725 on: August 01, 2017, 08:15:46 AM »

Yeah, same here.  But then again, snippets out of context rarely do.  I need to hear whole songs.

The one at the very end was really nice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: August 01, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »
Can't say I heard much that grabbed me.  I love most of the band so will certainly follow.   Thal has chops but his writing has never impressed me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: August 01, 2017, 08:25:58 AM »
Sounds like Billy Sheehan might be the bassist for Portnoy's new progressive metal supergroup, according to Richie Kotzen.  So that means we could have four band members identified: Portnoy, Sherinian, Bumblefoot and Sheehan.

Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richie-kotzen-on-the-winery-dogs-future-i-dont-foresee-anything-happening-for-a-couple-of-years/

"For me, it's time to come home and do what I've always done. I have been making Richie Kotzen records since I was 18; it's a source of survival, sanity, art, and everything you want to call it. I know the other guys have something very exciting in the works which people will love. It may fill a WINERY DOGS void."

Wow, so Richie Kotzen DID spill the beans months early about Sheehan being in the band.  So, in theory, we knew all of the band members except for the vocalist until today.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #728 on: August 01, 2017, 08:28:24 AM »
Hilarious the whole band was not a surprise. Disappointed Billy is involved but his bass sound doesn't sound too annoying. Sounds decent overall. Probably won't travel to see them as I do for 85% of the shows I see but if they play anywhere near I may feel inclined to go.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #729 on: August 01, 2017, 08:35:44 AM »
Meh
Pretty much.
Based on the teaser this is nothing for me. Can't stand the singer.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #730 on: August 01, 2017, 08:38:55 AM »
Well now, looks like I called that JSS thing from the very start.  :lol

Interesting sampler. I don't want to critique too much, because like those who have said it as well, I prefer to hear full songs. I will say I have a twinge of disappointment regarding Bumblefoot and Sheehan. Their talent is undeniable, but as a fan, I'm sorta sick of seeing Billy Sheehan all over the place, and Bumblefoot never really did it for me.

That all said, I'm excited to hear the record. Hopefully it is really good. I'll be pre-ordering for sure.

Is their Facebook page DOA already?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #731 on: August 01, 2017, 08:49:22 AM »
I have a twinge of disappointment regarding Bumblefoot and Sheehan. Their talent is undeniable, but as a fan, I'm sorta sick of seeing Billy Sheehan all over the place, and Bumblefoot never really did it for me.

I can understand that.  Part of me feels the same way.  But the other side of the coin is, we have no idea really how they'll fit into a project like this.  Bumblefoot's stuff is pretty out there, and I don't really connect with it at all.  But when he was in G&R, he was planning a different type of music than he would right for his own solo projects, and I think he showed that he can play as part of a group, playing accessible music and playing it well.  We could look at lots of other guys in a similar vein as well.  There are lots of people who may not be able to get into a lot of the stuff that Vai does as a solo act.  But put him in David Lee Roth's band or Whitesnake, and he's great in that environment too. 

I know you know all that, so I'm not necessarily trying to persuade you of anything.  Just "talking to myself out loud," more or less, because I kind of feel the same way and have to rationalize to myself why I shouldn't.

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #732 on: August 01, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »
I think the clips sound really promising to the extent that I expect to enjoy the album. But with the presence of JSS and Sheehan, I am already quite sure that my enjoyment will not rise above a level to where I will be a die-hard fine like I am of DT, Cynic, Porcupine Tree, etc.

And that's fine. A pleasing addition to my rotation of prog metal CDs is good enough, it doesn't have to blow me away.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #733 on: August 01, 2017, 08:52:04 AM »
Will have to wait to hear the album first. The clip was very generic. Definitely talented people but nothing I haven't heard before.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: August 01, 2017, 08:55:54 AM »
That teaser didn't really grab me, but I'll check out the album I guess.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.