Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305497 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #665 on: July 05, 2017, 12:45:50 PM »
I was the one who posted the info. By the end of the month, we should get some information. He said too that he would tour with that supergroup in 2018!
If I'm not mistaken, he confirmed to you also that it will be only one guitar player, right? Personally I was wondering if this band wouldn't have a second one. Cool information anyway, thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #666 on: July 05, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »
I was the one who posted the info. By the end of the month, we should get some information. He said too that he would tour with that supergroup in 2018!
If I'm not mistaken, he confirmed to you also that it will be only one guitar player, right? Personally I was wondering if this band wouldn't have a second one. Cool information anyway, thanks!

They could still add a 2nd touring guitar player, like Fates Warning does with Mike Abdow.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #667 on: July 05, 2017, 01:36:42 PM »

They could still add a 2nd touring guitar player, like Fates Warning does with Mike Abdow.

They could, but Fates' situation is a little different. Frank has a full time job, which is why Mike does the touring. And because Frank can't commit (I saw his most recent performance with the band in Dec. 2013 -- he lives in the Bay Area), FW just considers themselves a four-piece. But I don't think it's by design, just by necessity.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #668 on: July 06, 2017, 01:17:59 AM »
One singer, one guitar player and one bass player are yet to be announced. For the record, he didn't confirm to me, he confirmed it to a friend of mine who got the chance to get an aftershow pass (he is the former President of the French fan club and knows Mike well).
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #669 on: July 24, 2017, 01:26:07 PM »
Mike just teased an announcement for 1st of August. Full lineup?  :corn
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: July 24, 2017, 01:27:25 PM »

Cool. Hope so. I've got my hopes up for this. I hope I'm not crushed. While I guessed JSS a while ago, I really hope it isn't him, honestly. But if it is, we'll see how it goes. I also don't want Bumblefoot either.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #671 on: July 24, 2017, 01:28:01 PM »

He's announcing another facebook rant  ;)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: July 24, 2017, 01:32:51 PM »

An announcement about an upcoming announcement?  I love those! :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: July 24, 2017, 01:47:17 PM »

An announcement about an upcoming announcement?  I love those! :)

He needs to up his game.... DT are much better at that 😉

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #674 on: July 24, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »
If JSS would be a singer I would be in heaven :) Sheehan... I love him for his personality and talent but I think that I didn'nt want to see him in THAT supergroup. He did two other projects with MP and I think that's cool, but enough. I'm not following now so much MP Facebook, does something or someone was confirmed? Or there are only announcements anout announcements? ;)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #675 on: July 24, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »
Only Derek is officially confirmed for sure.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #676 on: July 24, 2017, 02:57:43 PM »
Only Derek is officially confirmed for sure.
[/quote
Good enough :)]

Offline bill1971

« Reply #677 on: July 24, 2017, 03:49:28 PM »
I was looking back at when Sherinian was fired from DT. What a class act.

“I am very proud of my musical growth and contributions to the band in the last four years. I have nothing but positive thoughts and feelings towards John, Mike, James, and John. Jordan Rudess is a friend of mine and a great talent. I wish all of them the very best!”
– Derek Sherinian

Imagine MP doing that. His respect from people would go through the roof, including me.

“I am very proud of my musical growth and contributions to the band in the last twenty or so years years. I have nothing but positive thoughts and feelings towards John, Jordan, James, and John. Mike Mangini is a friend of mine and a great talent. I wish all of them the very best!”
– Mike Portnoy

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #678 on: July 24, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
It's weird to expect a guy who yells "eat my ass and balls" on stage and thinks it's funny to act classy. :neverusethis:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #679 on: July 24, 2017, 05:50:26 PM »
Yeah, for all of his positive attributes, and despite the nonsense he spews sometimes, he does have them, being classy is not one of them.  But hey, he's from New York, so what do you expect...? :P

Offline devieira73

« Reply #680 on: July 24, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »
If JSS would be a singer I would be in heaven :) Sheehan... I love him for his personality and talent but I think that I didn'nt want to see him in THAT supergroup. He did two other projects with MP and I think that's cool, but enough. I'm not following now so much MP Facebook, does something or someone was confirmed? Or there are only announcements anout announcements? ;)
https://www.facebook.com/mikeportnoyofficial/posts/1819126181438349:0

Offline devieira73

« Reply #681 on: July 24, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
Normally when MP says soon, he really means it 👍

Offline bill1971

« Reply #682 on: July 26, 2017, 10:11:23 AM »

“I am very proud of my musical growth and contributions to the band in the last four years. I have nothing but positive thoughts and feelings towards John, Mike, James, and John. Jordan Rudess is a friend of mine and a great talent. I wish all of them the very best!”
– Derek Sherinian

Imagine MP doing that. His respect from people would go through the roof, including me.

“I am very proud of my musical growth and contributions to the band in the last twenty or so years years. I have nothing but positive thoughts and feelings towards John, Jordan, James, and John. Mike Mangini is a friend of mine and a great talent. I wish all of them the very best!”
– Mike Portnoy

Never mind, it looks like I was mistaken.

Derek Sherinian Retweeted
 BD Wallace‏ @BDUBWALLACE  Jul 25
More
Replying to @SonnyAngell @DerekSherinian @nordkeyboards
I loved everything you did with DT and beyond! I love crazy musicianship but JR can grate on my brain after awhile

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #683 on: July 26, 2017, 04:44:22 PM »

– Derek Sherinian

– Mike Portnoy

Never mind, it looks like I was mistaken.

Derek Sherinian Retweeted
 BD Wallace‏ @BDUBWALLACE  Jul 25
More
Replying to @SonnyAngell @DerekSherinian @nordkeyboards
I loved everything you did with DT and beyond! I love crazy musicianship but JR can grate on my brain after awhile
That's kind of a bummer that he retweeted that.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #684 on: July 26, 2017, 07:32:55 PM »
Derek spends a lot of time with MP. No wonder he picked up some of his mannerisms.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: July 26, 2017, 07:38:44 PM »
A retweet doesnt mean someone agrees with everything states. He could just be RT because of the compliment he was given in it.

Jumping to dramatic conclusions leads to drama and bs...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #686 on: July 26, 2017, 07:51:24 PM »
A retweet doesnt mean someone agrees with everything states. He could just be RT because of the compliment he was given in it.

It's DTF we love drama and bs.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #687 on: July 27, 2017, 03:42:49 AM »

Shouldn't he know that people might see it as him agreeing with everything? It's like when Portnoy retweets things like, "Mike Portnoy is best them, please come back to DT, but get a new singer, LaBrie sucks!"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #688 on: July 27, 2017, 05:01:12 AM »

I agree, though MP gets a lot of aggro for the same thing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: July 27, 2017, 05:41:41 AM »

MP goes further than just retweeting though.... ex when asked if he hates canadians his answer was "only one"

Offline bill1971

« Reply #690 on: July 27, 2017, 07:02:30 AM »

I disagree. Imagine if on this board some posted "Great point bill1971, your posts are so much better than samsara's tiresome posts" and I quoted the message and put an up arrow and said "yes I agree"

I would think you would take it as I'm agreeing with the negative comment towards you.

By the way I don't think you have tiresome posts. :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #691 on: July 27, 2017, 07:09:41 AM »
The obvious response would be, "Thank you for your compliment." Or, "Thank you, but JR does a great job."

A simple retweet is a direct approval of the tweet, and all that is included.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: July 27, 2017, 07:12:31 AM »
A simple retweet is a direct approval of the tweet, and all that is included.

I agree.  I also agree that JR can be grating at times.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #693 on: July 27, 2017, 07:38:59 AM »

I disagree. Imagine if on this board some posted "Great point bill1971, your posts are so much better than samsara's tiresome posts" and I quoted the message and put an up arrow and said "yes I agree"

I misread "threesome posts"  :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: July 27, 2017, 07:55:03 AM »
 :rollin

Ok, so in DT-speak, I am off base.  :lol

Honestly though, I didn't take that RT as approval of the whole tweet. People get lazy on social media.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #695 on: July 27, 2017, 08:06:48 AM »
Well, strictly speaking, a retweet without any explanation does on its face mean, "I agree."  And, by extension, if there isn't any explanation carving out any part of it that isn't agreed with, that means agreement with the whole thing.  But, yeah, "People get lazy on social media," as in regular speech.  So I think you are still correct that we shouldn't necessarily assume something negative, especially if there isn't a pattern as there is with certain other people that are the topic of discussion in this thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: July 27, 2017, 08:18:39 AM »
Oh, what drama.

::)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #697 on: July 27, 2017, 08:34:11 AM »
Well, strictly speaking, a retweet without any explanation does on its face mean, "I agree."  And, by extension, if there isn't any explanation carving out any part of it that isn't agreed with, that means agreement with the whole thing.  But, yeah, "People get lazy on social media," as in regular speech.  So I think you are still correct that we shouldn't necessarily assume something negative, especially if there isn't a pattern as there is with certain other people that are the topic of discussion in this thread.

Yeah that's pretty much my thought as well. A retweet to me without anything else is full agreement of the original tweet. But like you said, there is no pattern of this with DS, in fact he's been really great with addressing his time in DT publicly since he was fired.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #698 on: July 27, 2017, 08:50:25 AM »

Yeah that's pretty much my thought as well. A retweet to me without anything else is full agreement of the original tweet. But like you said, there is no pattern of this with DS, in fact he's been really great with addressing his time in DT publicly since he was fired.

Yes, I agree. DS has been very cool. Probably just a one off moment.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: July 27, 2017, 05:47:10 PM »

MP goes further than just retweeting though.... ex when asked if he hates canadians his answer was "only one"

Maybe he refers to Justin Bieber