Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305485 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #630 on: June 16, 2017, 08:29:03 AM »
I see that jSS is recording a SOTO record in Los Angeles right now. So I think the guess on him is likely incorrect.

In regard to Derek, that man has never gotten proper credit, and he was shafted by DT. To be honest, while I think Jordan is a superior technical player, I enjoy listening to Derek's work more. More soul in his playing, more Jon Lord influence.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #631 on: June 16, 2017, 10:43:21 AM »
I see that jSS is recording a SOTO record in Los Angeles right now. So I think the guess on him is likely incorrect.

In regard to Derek, that man has never gotten proper credit, and he was shafted by DT. To be honest, while I think Jordan is a superior technical player, I enjoy listening to Derek's work more. More soul in his playing, more Jon Lord influence.

B3 Hammond on everything  ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #632 on: June 28, 2017, 07:51:27 PM »
https://www.classicrockrevisited.com/show_interview.php?id=1221
Maybe the bassist is Sheehan after all...

Lee: You guys really sound in the pocket on the new stuff. Did you record in the same room, or was this a file-trading process?

Sheehan: We were in the same room for six days and did all the basics. We spent more time of in the mix and some lead vocals.

The lion’s share, 90 percent, was done in six days in Ocean Studio in Burbank. I had just done another record a week prior and did Mr. Big there without even moving my gear. Paul and I were in a separate control booth, both Matt [Starr, pitching in on drums for the current tour] and Pat were in there doing drums.

Lee: What was that other project you mentioned, the unnamed one?

Billy: It was another project, which is yet unnamed [this writer suspects the project could be Mike Portnoy’s prog-metal band with Derek Sherinian]. So in the week prior, I got used to the neighborhood and all the nearby restaurants.

We had no time for that with Mr. Big. We had to hustle to get it done in six days. We were doing two or three songs a day. We needed one more some toward the end. We wanted to get at least 11 songs on the record and we managed to hit that.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #633 on: June 28, 2017, 08:03:11 PM »
That'a s shame if it's true. I can't stand Sheehan's playing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #634 on: June 28, 2017, 08:10:35 PM »
I like the way Portnoy, Sheehan and Derek sounded on the PSMS live album, so I'd love it if it was him on bass after all.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #635 on: June 28, 2017, 09:17:35 PM »
Ocean Studios is the studio where MP, Derek, and Bumblefoot were at.
I wouldn't be surprised if Billy's the bassist, but I'd be very disappointed. As a bassist, I'm not a fan of Sheehan and the way he overplays everything.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: June 28, 2017, 09:29:19 PM »
Ocean Studios is the studio where MP, Derek, and Bumblefoot were at.

ALLEGEDLY.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #637 on: June 28, 2017, 10:13:12 PM »
That'a s shame if it's true. I can't stand Sheehan's playing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Billy's the bassist, but I'd be very disappointed. As a bassist, I'm not a fan of Sheehan and the way he overplays everything.

Agree with both posts I quoted. I'm also a bassist and, while I respect Billy for having such a unique style and for making a career of his own and not trying to copy anyone else, I just can't stand him as a bassist. He, indeed, overplays everything and his tone sucks (imo). My excitement for this project has decreased drastically after reading this  :sad:

I think he is the perfect fit for TWD, but why does Mike have to include him in whatever new project he comes up with?  :'(
I really hope this is not the case, but, judging by the pics on the web page of the studio he mentioned, it seems this is true.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #638 on: June 29, 2017, 01:26:30 AM »
Not sure if I want Billy in there, but seriously, we talk about a PROG-metal group and you worry about overplaying?  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #639 on: June 29, 2017, 02:19:48 AM »
I've heard rumors independently (and much earlier than this thread) of JSS being in this. I've also heard a name for a bassist that isn't Sheehan - but also not that terribly known (not gonna say who because it would come back and bite me). But this is just rumors from someone i know who knows someone who knows someone. Portnoy himself was mum on the subject when i last spoke to him.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #640 on: June 29, 2017, 09:16:37 AM »
I've heard rumors independently (and much earlier than this thread) of JSS being in this. I've also heard a name for a bassist that isn't Sheehan - but also not that terribly known (not gonna say who because it would come back and bite me). But this is just rumors from someone i know who knows someone who knows someone. Portnoy himself was mum on the subject when i last spoke to him.

I hope this is true! I would prefer someone who's probably not that famous over Billy anytime. However, with MP calling it an "all star supergroup" the chances of it being Billy are higher, I think.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: June 29, 2017, 09:20:28 AM »
After hearing the Haken dude do Shattered Fortress, I honestly wish he was the guy. But if it does end up being JSS, it'll be cool. As long as everyone is committed. I don't want to see this as a prog metal version of Metal Allegiance. I was hoping for this to be a committed BAND. Fingers crossed.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #642 on: June 29, 2017, 09:32:44 AM »
I don't like the Haken singer's voice.  He does sound good on those live clips.  But in general, his voice grates on me.  But whoever it ends up being, I don't want to judge before I've actually heard the music, so I'll withhold forming any opinions.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #643 on: June 29, 2017, 09:48:58 AM »
Ross has improved as time goes on, but I don't think it should be him because he's already committed to Haken. I'd prefer MP go with more of a songwriter/multi-instrumentalist type, like he wanted to when JLB was almost sacked during the Six Degrees tour. Somebody like Morse or Casey McPherson - but not those guys in particular, because I'd prefer something fresh.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #644 on: June 29, 2017, 09:54:23 AM »
Haken are a well stablished band and Richard Henshall (Haken guitarist and main songwriter) said they plan to release an album next year, so I don think Ross will be involved.

Here's something a bit off-topic, but related since it's DT and Derek Sherinian: found an isolated keyboard version of Lines in the Sand  :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTtHJp62kwo

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #645 on: July 02, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »
From MP Facebook:
I'm in serious multi-tasking mode right now: Jerry & I are recording/comping drums for the new Metal Allegiance album as well as my vocals & percussion for my upcoming album w Derek Sherinian...meanwhile Derek & our singer are in LA doing the singer's tracks and sending me the tracks for notes...

Kinda expected, but now is confirmed that this won't be an instrumental band.

Now people are going to start looking for clues on who might be the singer, something will probably get leaked and Mike will go nuts on social media again...

IT'S THE CIRCLE OF SOCIAL MEDIA, AND IT MOVES US ALLLLLLLLL.

Not being on social media that may explain why I'm stuck in a ditch....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #646 on: July 02, 2017, 08:40:59 PM »
Very excited for this one, more so than any other post DT band because it puts him back in his core element. Everything hinges on who
the vocalist is. I know I will love MP and DS on this as I always do. If it turns out to be a really kick ass singer it could be amazing.

Never seen something like this as his core element. He may have started out that way and he may have an itch to scratch, but I think his work is so much more than that.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #647 on: July 03, 2017, 12:46:03 PM »
i'd actually like it if it was JSS on vocals and Billy on bass i reckon it would be a good mix. Just hoping its not Bumblefoot for guitar

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #648 on: July 03, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »
If i had a Dream pic i'd had Devin Townsend as the vocalist and rhythm Guitarist but that'll never happen. I'd still love to have Eric Gillette as the guitarist and back up vocalist 

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #649 on: July 03, 2017, 01:07:02 PM »
I love Billy Sheehan. What he did with Niacin is some of my favorite bass playing ever.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: July 03, 2017, 01:07:34 PM »
Sorry not interested to look back to this discussion so who is JSS?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #651 on: July 03, 2017, 01:11:41 PM »

Jeff Scott Soto
Photobucket sucks.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: July 03, 2017, 01:16:12 PM »

Jeff Scott Soto

Thanks, have to look up this guy!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #653 on: July 03, 2017, 01:16:58 PM »
I love Billy Sheehan. What he did with Niacin is some of my favorite bass playing ever.

Me too. I accept that some people don't like his tone, but really can't understand why. I pretty much love anything he did since Talas!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #654 on: July 03, 2017, 01:21:43 PM »
I personally don't want Billy, only because I wan't something different. Dude already did two projects with MP.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #655 on: July 03, 2017, 06:22:52 PM »
If i had a Dream pic i'd had Devin Townsend as the vocalist and rhythm Guitarist but that'll never happen. I'd still love to have Eric Gillette as the guitarist and back up vocalist

Dev's lead playing is much better than his rhythm playing imo, it's usually been pretty predictable chugging on the last few albums. The arpeggio melodies and tapping he does are incredible.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #656 on: July 03, 2017, 06:25:35 PM »
I am still crossing my fingers for Ted Leonard
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: July 03, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »
I don't think I'd mind Billy playing. I'm not a huge fan of bumblefoot. He is a monster on guitar no doubt about it but his style and tone have never been my thing. Who knows what this will sound like though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #658 on: July 04, 2017, 06:53:03 AM »
I personally don't want Billy, only because I wan't something different. Dude already did two projects with MP.

He tends to confuse a mix for me, because he's all over the neck all the time. Awesome player but he's better in a stripped down setting.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #659 on: July 04, 2017, 06:54:52 AM »

Completely agree with you Adami.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #660 on: July 04, 2017, 01:02:48 PM »
If Sheehan is on bass, that will indeed massively dampen my excitement for the project.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #661 on: July 04, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »
I have a feeling MP wont go with Billy Sheenan anyway just to make this project different from the others. Like others have said MP and billy have already done enough projects together

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: July 05, 2017, 11:49:28 AM »
I agree it probably won't be Billy Sheehan. And I am with those who would rather MP go elsewhere. I think Billy is amazing, and one of the best. But I'm ready for a different bass player.

Really hoping we get some solid details on this project soon.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #663 on: July 05, 2017, 12:05:46 PM »
Next month. Somebody here, who talked to MP recently, said on the shattered tour thread.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #664 on: July 05, 2017, 12:38:49 PM »
I was the one who posted the info. By the end of the month, we should get some information. He said too that he would tour with that supergroup in 2018!
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)