Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305464 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #560 on: June 12, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »
Isn't Arch still an East Coast guy? If so, I'd figure he'd record in NY, no?

I think him not being there is a non issue. My feeling is that after an album and some shows, we'll be lucky to get a second album anyway.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #561 on: June 12, 2017, 11:13:10 AM »
I think him not being there is a non issue. My feeling is that after an album and some shows, we'll be lucky to get a second album anyway.

Probably true. I agree that it's no biggie that he isn't there for the vocal recordings, but I do find it surprising. After he made a big deal about telling people he was a "bandleader" again, I thought he would insist on being present for stuff like this. I mean, the reason James didn't record in Canada before was MP (if I'm not mistaken) so while I don't think it matters at all, I'm still surprised.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #562 on: June 12, 2017, 11:14:18 AM »
Very excited for this one, more so than any other post DT band because it puts him back in his core element. Everything hinges on who
the vocalist is. I know I will love MP and DS on this as I always do. If it turns out to be a really kick ass singer it could be amazing.

Sincerely I believe that, after MP left DT, he entered in a kind of mourning with progressive metal. I think that a band in that style is really the perfect outfit to let flow all his musical influences. Maybe, after he started to revist the DT material for his birthday's shows, he had realised that it was alredy enough time to had stayed away of it. I believe, if this band will be well suceeded commercially, of course, it will his primary band, in the same proportion it was with DT.
About the vocals, I think both Kip Winger or Jeff Scott Soto would be amazing! Maybe JSS is more avaible?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:00:00 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #563 on: June 12, 2017, 11:41:44 AM »
While I have not asked him about this, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the role MP plays is similar to what he did in DT - more that of a creative director - and leaving such things as the business end, the sonic qualities and whatnot to Derek, much as JP handled those things in DT. It would make sense given how things worked in DT, how MP is not interested in the business side of things, how Derek was more responsible for the business end of the ProgNation 2014 at Sea (can't remember where I heard/saw that, but it's not just speculation on my part) and how MP has so much else going on in his life. So is it the end of the world that he's not there to do the recording with the singer? Not at all - at least Derek is with this person, and you can be sure that MP is receiving MP3s of the recordings to comment on and approve.

From my dealings with him in designing the tourbooks, T-shirts, CD artwork and a poster, he is *very* hands on and involved in even minute details, even tho everything was done via e-mail. I'm pretty sure if you asked Blob or BobS (who is heavily involved in post-production/editing of many MP-related videos), they'd tell you the same thing. Given that this is far more involved than what I did, you can be sure that this is nothing like musicians simply recording their performances and Fed-Ex'ing it to the next studio like all those tribute albums were, which it should be noted MP was never a fan of in the first place.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline emtee

« Reply #564 on: June 12, 2017, 11:54:24 AM »
While I like Arch I think he is a big risk as far as mass appeal. There are people like me who like him and many who don't so right away
you lose potential with him. He also sounds so unique that it would be hard NOT to compare everything to Fates or Arch-Matheos.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #565 on: June 12, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »
It's not Arch. Just saw a pic of him and Alder from yesterday on the East Coast. So I highly doubt it's Arch.

But JSS...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 03:34:25 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #566 on: June 12, 2017, 02:42:11 PM »
Arch would be a deal breaker for me. He might be a very good singer, but I can't stand his voice, that's why I could never get into the first 3 FW albums or the Arch/Matheos album.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #567 on: June 12, 2017, 04:55:19 PM »
I think we are all missing the obvious:

The singer will be Kevin Moore.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: June 12, 2017, 05:26:50 PM »
I also kind of doubt John Arch would take on a new project based on the general vibe I get from him. I suppose if there wasn't much touring involved, since it's pretty well known that he's not one for being on the road all the time.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #569 on: June 12, 2017, 09:17:26 PM »
I think we are all missing the obvious:

The singer will be Kevin Moore.

Hey, don't diss that. I happen to like his vocals!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #570 on: June 12, 2017, 09:34:11 PM »
How was that a diss?  ???

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #571 on: June 13, 2017, 08:46:50 AM »
Just checked Twitter for clues on who might be the singer. Well, two of the last people Jeff Scott Soto followed are Derek Sherinian and Bumblefoot. Coincindence? Someone just ask MP about it, and his reaction will answer for us  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #572 on: June 13, 2017, 08:57:36 AM »
Just checked Twitter for clues on who might be the singer. Well, two of the last people Jeff Scott Soto followed are Derek Sherinian and Bumblefoot. Coincindence? Someone just ask MP about it, and his reaction will answer for us  :biggrin:

Outed by Twitter. It's incredible how today's interconnected world leaves basically no mystery at all!

Sometimes on FB I realize small bands I follow will take part at a concert or a festival, because I have a band member in the friends list and they confirm the partecipation to that event  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline emtee

« Reply #573 on: June 13, 2017, 09:05:03 AM »
I would be VERY happy with JSS on vocals!!!

I hope it's true.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #574 on: June 13, 2017, 09:06:09 AM »

Outed by Twitter. It's incredible how today's interconnected world leaves basically no mystery at all!

Sometimes on FB I realize small bands I follow will take part at a concert or a festival, because I have a band member in the friends list and they confirm the partecipation to that event  ;D

If only Mike understood this the way you do...  :lol

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: June 13, 2017, 09:15:43 AM »
Speaking of Derek Sherinian, at some point he blocked me on Twitter. I can't say I ever even interacted directly with him.
 :facepalm:

Offline Art

« Reply #576 on: June 13, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »
I would be VERY happy with JSS on vocals!!!

I hope it's true.

this.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: June 13, 2017, 10:09:42 AM »
I'd never heard Jeff Scott Soto or John Arch sing before the last few posts so I checked out both. I have to say it was pure aural bliss when I turned off Arch's singing. Soto sounds better.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #578 on: June 13, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »
Mike wrote this on his message board:
"There's a reason I post WHAT I post WHEN I post it...
Don't you think if I wanted the guitar player announced, I would've done it???
I appreciate your enthusiasm here, but please respect my wishes to only disclose certain things when *I* want that info disclosed and announced

How on Earth can that be misunderstood or misinterpreted in any way...it would seem pretty obvious to me
"

So, doesn't look like the leaks are intentional.  Not the best way to handle that sort of thing.  Then again, if you're gonna hype this thing, why not just tell us who is in the band?  Or just keep it secret you're even working on something.

Whatever you think of Portnoy he is the greatest rock/metal drummer ever IMO. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #579 on: June 13, 2017, 10:24:28 AM »
I appreciate your enthusiasm here, but please respect my wishes to only disclose certain things when *I* want that info disclosed and announced

How on Earth can that be misunderstood or misinterpreted in any way...it would seem pretty obvious to me
"

So, doesn't look like the leaks are intentional.  Not the best way to handle that sort of thing.  Then again, if you're gonna hype this thing, why not just tell us who is in the band?  Or just keep it secret you're even working on something.

Stadler?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #580 on: June 13, 2017, 10:34:34 AM »

"

Stadler?

:rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #581 on: June 13, 2017, 10:35:36 AM »
Haha no. But good guess.  :)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #582 on: June 13, 2017, 11:14:34 AM »
Haha no. But good guess.  :)

Just kidding bud!  :biggrin:

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #583 on: June 13, 2017, 12:12:45 PM »
Soto toured in support of The Winery Dogs, so the connection is there. You guys might be on to something!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #584 on: June 13, 2017, 12:22:33 PM »
Soto toured in support of The Winery Dogs, so the connection is there. You guys might be on to something!

I know this is waaay off topic, but are TWD still active? At first, Portnoy always mentioned it was going yo be his main thing, and now they seem to have disappeared. I'm not a fan of the band, so I haven't been following them too much, but I'm curious to know.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #585 on: June 13, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »

I know this is waaay off topic, but are TWD still active? At first, Portnoy always mentioned it was going yo be his main thing, and now they seem to have disappeared. I'm not a fan of the band, so I haven't been following them too much, but I'm curious to know.

I think they are still active, just in between cycles right now. Billy is doing Mr. Big stuff, MP is doing a million things and Richie is probably doing solo stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #586 on: June 13, 2017, 12:47:51 PM »

I think they are still active, just in between cycles right now. Billy is doing Mr. Big stuff, MP is doing a million things and Richie is probably doing solo stuff.

^Yeah, that's basically what MP said.  They aren't inactive.  Just not doing anything together at the present because each of the members is busy doing something else.  Can't be bothered to find the exact quote, but that's the gist of it as I recall.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: June 13, 2017, 01:00:15 PM »
"We aren't inactive, we just aren't actively doing anything."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #588 on: June 13, 2017, 01:07:42 PM »
If it's JSS I'm seriously underwhelmed but still hope something good comes out of it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #589 on: June 13, 2017, 01:11:25 PM »
This is the downside of keeping it a big secret for such a long time. The fans will start speculating, and it's very unlikely that the eventual reality will be as good as our fantasies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #590 on: June 13, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »
If it's JSS I'm seriously underwhelmed but still hope something good comes out of it.

I'd agree with this. I think Jeff has a great hard rock/metal voice, but none of his tunes have ever really grabbed me unless Marky Mark was lip syncing them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #591 on: June 13, 2017, 02:31:21 PM »
I was thinking about this, and when MP teases an unknown band member, he has to know that he is just baiting the fans to investigate. The "fan experience" today is a lot different then when MP was a kid. He has to learn this.

What he should do is embrace it, and award a free Meet & Greet (or whatever) to the first guy on his forum to figure it out. I think that would be a lot cooler way of handling it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #592 on: June 13, 2017, 02:32:38 PM »
I was thinking about this, and when MP teases an unknown band member, he has to know that he is just baiting the fans to investigate. The "fan experience" today is a lot different then when MP was a kid. He has to learn this.

What he should do is embrace it, and award a free Meet & Greet (or whatever) to the first guy on his forum to figure it out. I think that would be a lot cooler way of handling it.

Reported.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #593 on: June 13, 2017, 05:05:27 PM »

I'd agree with this. I think Jeff has a great hard rock/metal voice, but none of his tunes have ever really grabbed me unless Marky Mark was lip syncing them.

I agree, but, hopefully, he won't be one of the main composers of the music, probably just the vocal lines and the lyrics.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #594 on: June 13, 2017, 05:13:13 PM »

Reported.

:lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey