Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305480 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #525 on: June 09, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: June 09, 2017, 03:44:39 PM »
::)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #527 on: June 10, 2017, 03:08:24 PM »
'I will no longer play Dream Theater songs'.

Good for him.

I don't expect (or even want at this point) to hear anything by Dream Theater from him again.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #528 on: June 10, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
I don't think Portnoy needs to play DT anymore. Dude has built up an insane resume since leaving and really can just do that stuff and new stuff for the rest of his life.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #529 on: June 10, 2017, 03:39:36 PM »
The closest thing to DT I wanna hear him play is Derek's "Lines In The Sand" solo (that evolved into the intro to LitS.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #530 on: June 10, 2017, 06:41:36 PM »
From MP Facebook:
I'm in serious multi-tasking mode right now: Jerry & I are recording/comping drums for the new Metal Allegiance album as well as my vocals & percussion for my upcoming album w Derek Sherinian...meanwhile Derek & our singer are in LA doing the singer's tracks and sending me the tracks for notes...

Kinda expected, but now is confirmed that this won't be an instrumental band.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #531 on: June 10, 2017, 09:49:46 PM »
Quick, someone check Derek's tech's twitter account for clues :lol :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #532 on: June 10, 2017, 10:22:42 PM »
From MP Facebook:
I'm in serious multi-tasking mode right now: Jerry & I are recording/comping drums for the new Metal Allegiance album as well as my vocals & percussion for my upcoming album w Derek Sherinian...meanwhile Derek & our singer are in LA doing the singer's tracks and sending me the tracks for notes...

Now people are going to start looking for clues on who might be the singer, something will probably get leaked and Mike will go nuts on social media again...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #533 on: June 10, 2017, 11:22:32 PM »
From MP Facebook:

Now people are going to start looking for clues on who might be the singer, something will probably get leaked and Mike will go nuts on social media again...

IT'S THE CIRCLE OF SOCIAL MEDIA, AND IT MOVES US ALLLLLLLLL.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: June 11, 2017, 09:14:31 AM »
I commented on his post with "Singer? This means it's confirmed to NOT be an instrumental band? Sweet!"

And Mike liked my comment.

So it IS confirmed. Because if not, he would have threatened to block me or something :lol

*Crossing fingers for Ted Leonard*
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #535 on: June 11, 2017, 09:42:26 AM »
Take turns posting names, whoever gets blocked got it right. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #536 on: June 11, 2017, 09:49:03 AM »
:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: June 11, 2017, 09:53:21 AM »

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #538 on: June 11, 2017, 11:32:05 AM »
From MP Facebook:

For being the "band leader" that is a somewhat uninvolved way of having the vocals recorded. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #539 on: June 11, 2017, 04:05:52 PM »
From MP Facebook:

For being the "band leader" that is a somewhat uninvolved way of having the vocals recorded.

I kind of see this as a joint project between Mike and Derek.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Adami

« Reply #540 on: June 11, 2017, 04:07:38 PM »
From MP Facebook:

It's logistical. Petrucci and Rudess are the leaders of DT, but for the past few albums (not sure about TA) neither are there when the vocals are recorded. They do it the same way. LaBrie records and then sends it to them for notes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #541 on: June 11, 2017, 04:37:50 PM »
From MP Facebook:

It's logistical. Petrucci and Rudess are the leaders of DT, but for the past few albums (not sure about TA) neither are there when the vocals are recorded. They do it the same way. LaBrie records and then sends it to them for notes.

For TA they did, DT12 they didn't, and ADTOE they did for about half the songs. 

Mike has been clear that he is the leader of this project.  Giving notes from across the country is no substitute for being there. 

Online Adami

« Reply #542 on: June 11, 2017, 04:42:24 PM »
Like I said man, sometimes it's logistics. Leader or not, it's possible they just can't be in the same place at the same time. Clearly Mike is pretty busy in NY at the moment, and whoever the singer is, maybe this is the only time he could record vocals but only in LA.

It happens. Being a leader doesn't make schedules automatically line up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: June 11, 2017, 05:25:21 PM »
Like I said man, sometimes it's logistics. Leader or not, it's possible they just can't be in the same place at the same time. Clearly Mike is pretty busy in NY at the moment, and whoever the singer is, maybe this is the only time he could record vocals but only in LA.

It happens. Being a leader doesn't make schedules automatically line up.
Yeah. Pretty sure people consider Jim Matheos the leader of Fates Warning, but he's never in the same place as Ray Alder during recording. It's just how it goes with some bands.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #544 on: June 11, 2017, 08:26:27 PM »
Some fans simply choose to find fault in everything Mike​ does...

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #545 on: June 11, 2017, 08:29:13 PM »
I hear Portnoy pours the milk before the cereal.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #546 on: June 11, 2017, 09:22:17 PM »

:rollin

:rollin :rollin :rollin

*Crossing fingers for Ted Leonard*

Ted would be a great choice! However, I think SB is working on a new album for this year, and he's also in a couple other bands (Enchant and Thought Chamber), so I don't think that leaves him too much free time to join MP's crazy project.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

« Reply #547 on: June 11, 2017, 09:33:12 PM »
I'm thinking it's a guy who peaked in the 80's or 90's. Just a hunch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #548 on: June 11, 2017, 09:34:31 PM »
Kip Winger?

Online Adami

« Reply #549 on: June 11, 2017, 09:38:39 PM »
Kip Winger?

Woah. That was literally the guy I imagined.

Did I read about it somewhere and just forgot?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #550 on: June 11, 2017, 10:37:38 PM »
Some fans simply choose to find fault in everything Mike​ does...

Oh here we go...

Remember when I posted a rant about how Mike likes Twin Peaks?!  I can't STAND that he *likes* TWIN PEAKS.  I despise him for it.  I suggest you find my thread "Can Mike just stop liking Twin Peaks?!?1?" and post your thoughts.  He's been posting a lot about that.  The nerve. 

I hope you don't think I'm being sarcastic.  I literally find fault in everything he does. 

I even found fault in your post.  Let me fix it for you. 
Some "fans" simply choose to find fault in everything Mike​ does...

So anyway, yeah it's logistics but if he wants us (or rather me) to take this project seriously then I would hope he would make it more of a priority which is what I thought he was doing by insisting he be the band leader.  I mean his tantrum about us guessing Bumblefoot was the guitarist was pretty bad and left a bad taste but if the music is good then the musics good.  Now it just sort of seems like this is just another little project to check off rather than to let the band happen the more organic way. 

Oh wait, I'm supposed to find fault in everything he does.

HOW DARE HE PUT TOGETHER A PROGRESSIVE METAL GROUP (that I was actually kind of excited for)?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #551 on: June 12, 2017, 05:01:38 AM »
Dude, I know that the whole point of joining a forum is to discuss things, but I just don't have the time or energy to argue with you on this. Go for it...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #552 on: June 12, 2017, 05:11:09 AM »
I honestly don't see the problem in being a band leader versus having things done over the internet. This is the way the world works now. It would all be nice and cool to have band members being a surrogate family hanging out together jamming all the time, but it's simply not possibile with other commitments, families and maybe some side-job for people who don't live only off their music. If Dream Theater can record an album with the singer in literally another country on his own, Portnoy can have the singer record with the keyboard player as well.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #553 on: June 12, 2017, 07:24:31 AM »
I think it's patently unfair to criticize Mike for "being the bandleader" and "not being there in person while the vocals are being recorded".  One, it's 2017.   I largely work out of my house, and have no problem being "present" with the things I do in my company.   Two, you have NO idea what was discussed previously with Derek and/or "The Singer", and what direction was given.   Three, you don't even KNOW The Singer, and have no idea what direction might be needed.   Four, it's not your fucking band.   Mike pretty much has shown us he knows how to run a band - at least to his liking and the liking of a few million fans - so I'm going to trust his judgment over someone posting their thoughts and ideas while wearing pajamas and sucking a juice box in their mom's basement.    (Of course I'm being funny with the last thing, but still...)

REALLY excited for this (and would love it if it was Kip Winger; that's the only wild card; the singer could chill this for me if it is too much on the "metal" side of "prog metal"). 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:56:09 AM by Stadler »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: June 12, 2017, 07:28:21 AM »
I would love it to be Kip Winger too, if only to watch Tim's reaction to this.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #555 on: June 12, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »
My guesses:

John Arch

Jeff Scott Soto

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline emtee

« Reply #556 on: June 12, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
Very excited for this one, more so than any other post DT band because it puts him back in his core element. Everything hinges on who
the vocalist is. I know I will love MP and DS on this as I always do. If it turns out to be a really kick ass singer it could be amazing.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #557 on: June 12, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »
Dude, I know that the whole point of joining a forum is to discuss things, but I just don't have the time or energy to argue with you on this. Go for it...

I think it's patently unfair to criticize Mike for "being the bandleader" and "not being there in person while the vocals are being recorded".

What a surprise.

One, it's 2017.   I largely work out of my house, and have no problem being "present" with the things I do in my company.   Two, you have NO idea what was discussed previously with Derek and/or "The Singer", and what direction was given.   Three, you don't even KNOW The Singer, and have no idea what direction might be needed.   Four, it's not your fucking band.   
:lol :lol :lol

Wow, that's your argument? 

Shut down the forums!  I just figured out it's not my band...or anyone else's band that posts here.  I guess there's no point in posting. 
I honestly don't see the problem in being a band leader versus having things done over the internet. This is the way the world works now. It would all be nice and cool to have band members being a surrogate family hanging out together jamming all the time, but it's simply not possibile with other commitments, families and maybe some side-job for people who don't live only off their music. If Dream Theater can record an album with the singer in literally another country on his own, Portnoy can have the singer record with the keyboard player as well.

MirrorMask, thank you for having a constructive argument.  It's nice to see one of those occasionally on this forum. 

I think there is a HUGE difference between having James record his vocals in Canada and what Mike is doing.  First of all, James did that as a strategy.  He felt he records his vocals better in a small setting with just him and Richard Chycki.  For ADTOE he basically said, "Hey we're starting over in several ways.  Let me do this how I want."  For DT12, he recorded them in New York since Richard Chycki was producing them.  TA was a different beast and James said that with all the different voices, emotions, etc., he wanted to record them with just him and Richard again. 

If this was the strategy with Mike, I would respect that.  As it stands, it really just seems like he couldn't fit it into his schedule like it wasn't a top priority.  It reminds me of when those tribute CD were coming out every few weeks.  You would have someone like Kip Winger on vocals, Brad Gillis on guitar, Rex Brown on bass, and Eric Singer on drums.  They would do a tribute to Ozzy or something yet they never met each other in person.  It was still cool and I still own way too many of those tribute CDs but they weren't organic and it really was just a gimmick.  Obviously Mike's project isn't that inorganic but by doing this he is approaching that level.  Maybe not all that close but still just a step closer than I am comfortable with. 
My guesses:

John Arch

Jeff Scott Soto

Man, if it was John Arch that would be a game changer. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #558 on: June 12, 2017, 09:18:41 AM »
Well, since we know nothing yet about the singer, maybe this schedule is worked around him - maybe Mike would have wanted to sit all together, but the singer had other and previous commitments and this was done to accomodate him. We don't know how old is Mike's idea to put together this group, and if the other parties involved had even older, and previous, commitments.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #559 on: June 12, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »
Well, since we know nothing yet about the singer, maybe this schedule is worked around him - maybe Mike would have wanted to sit all together, but the singer had other and previous commitments and this was done to accomodate him. We don't know how old is Mike's idea to put together this group, and if the other parties involved had even older, and previous, commitments.

Right, I'm not saying that Mike intentionally chose to do it this way but has too many other things going on to devote fully to the project he says he is the leader of.  If John Petrucci  had James record vocals in Canada because he was too busy opening a new BBQ restaurant, then I would have the same feelings toward Petrucci (although I would plan a trip to NY for the grand opening).