Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 305468 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Mike Portnoy Progressive Metal Supergroup
« Reply #490 on: April 23, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
Yeah, I don't get that what you are saying, Elite.  If you mean the organizers of the event, I believe Portnoy is one of them, right?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #491 on: April 23, 2017, 02:03:21 PM »
Yeah, I don't get that what you are saying, Elite.  If you mean the organizers of the event, I believe Portnoy is one of them, right?

Not really. On Progressive Nation he obviously was, but he was simply an artist on CTTE 15 and stepped in when Squire died to organize the tribute. On CTTE 17 in conjunction with his birthday bash they allowed him to contribute some names of bands he wanted to play and got them in a kinda merger with Progressive Nation, but he's not in any official place of power within the Cruise to the Edge structure as far as I know.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #492 on: April 23, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »
Portnoy has reached the point where anything with his name on it will draw an audience. Why wouldn't they want to book a MP/DS project?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #493 on: April 23, 2017, 04:27:34 PM »
Yep, that Neal Morse Band show here in St. Louis back in January drew like 250 people!  That is called being a draw. :P

Nick, I was not aware of that.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #494 on: April 23, 2017, 06:00:56 PM »
Yep, that Neal Morse Band show here in St. Louis back in January drew like 250 people!  That is called being a draw. :P

No offense, but we aren't talking about a random show in a questionable prog market, but rather who has a name that can draw people coming in from all over the world for a special vacation. I know several people on facebook who booked the day Portnoy was announced based on his involvement. His projects and performances have been big draws on these events, and that translates to a worthwhile draw on a new project.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #496 on: April 24, 2017, 04:34:09 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-says-he-is-not-too-busy-to-rejoin-dream-theater-on-images-words-beyond-tour/

"Portnoy went on to say that he has "a very good relationship with John Petrucci and Jordan, and we stay in touch and we remain friends. The other two [singer James LaBrie and bassist John Myung] I've barely heard from. I've tried to reach out. But anyway, I have very fond memories of all those years and it's a huge part of my life."

If that's true, that's a pity. I'd love them all for being on speaking terms, not necessarily for a DT reunion, just for them.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: April 24, 2017, 04:38:46 AM »
I'm not at all surprised Myung and Labrie don't talk to him...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #498 on: April 24, 2017, 06:48:33 AM »

Well, Mike Portnoy had probably earned his merits in the progressive metal world, but can't you at see that it's rather strange that a band of which nobody has heard a single note gets booked on a 'major' prog festival? It's only happening because it's Mike Portnoy and while I expect what he delivers to be good, it's unfair to newer players in the scene. Every other band would have to prove themselves.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #499 on: April 24, 2017, 07:05:18 AM »

I've always understood the lack of warm and fuzzys between JLB and MP, but I'm still surprised at how Myung reacted. I've always gotten the sense that he felt betrayed by MP leaving.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #500 on: April 24, 2017, 07:11:17 AM »

I've always understood the lack of warm and fuzzys between JLB and MP, but I'm still surprised at how Myung reacted. I've always gotten the sense that he felt betrayed by MP leaving.

Well, therein lies a basis for not talking anymore, right?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #501 on: April 24, 2017, 07:32:28 AM »
For me, gut feeling of course, the one that felt most betrayed was Petrucci, the other leader of the band, who surely envisioned himself helming DT along with Portnoy until the very last day.

Myung felt more to me distant on a personal level, not liking Portnoy's control of the band and the tailored against him "Bring finished lyrics" rule.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #502 on: April 24, 2017, 07:46:10 AM »

Well, Mike Portnoy had probably earned his merits in the progressive metal world, but can't you at see that it's rather strange that a band of which nobody has heard a single note gets booked on a 'major' prog festival? It's only happening because it's Mike Portnoy and while I expect what he delivers to be good, it's unfair to newer players in the scene. Every other band would have to prove themselves.
Not really, not when its members have proven themselves already.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: April 24, 2017, 08:10:54 AM »

Not really, not when its members have proven themselves already.

Yea agreed.  MP's Shattered Fortress was named the headliner at ProgPower before we knew anything about the players and the fact it was going to be MP and a performances of TSF.  The guys made a reputation for himself and has a fan base.  I don't think they need more than that to book him.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #504 on: April 24, 2017, 08:42:00 AM »
Yup. And that announcement has me considering doing the cruise again next year, between Haken, Thank You Scientist, and now this Portnoy project.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #505 on: April 24, 2017, 08:45:09 AM »

That makes no sense; you say it's "because of Mike Portnoy", but that implies that Mike doesn't have the credibility to merit that.   I think he most certainly does.   People are interested in what he's doing.   Would it be wrong to book Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds without hearing a note, or Keith Richards' Expensive Winos? 

And more existentially, who says people have to "be fair to the newer players on the scene"?   They book who they want to book.   

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #506 on: April 24, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »

I agree. MP has been very consistent with his musical output over the years, but he has made some "bad"/not good enough albums/bands. What If you were booking CTTE and heard there's a new Portnoy/Russell Allen project coming. You know MP is a great drummer and had been in DT for 25 years, and Russell is one of the best singers in the genere, the outcome should be great, shouldn't it? Well, here's two words for you: Adrenaline Mob.
Reality is that this just got booked because MP will draw crowds no matter what he does (good or not).

Same happened with Next to None, Mike's son's band. Not saying they're bad or that they don't deserve the recognition they get, I actually like a couple of their songs, but let's be honest here and admit that they only got this big so fast because one of themembers' last name is Portnoy and their debut album had MP producing, and guest spots by Neal Morse and Bumblefoot. Tell me of any other teenage metal band that can get signed to Inside Out and can get Neal Morse to appear for their first album.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: April 24, 2017, 09:18:37 AM »
Sometimes its not about what you know, but who you know.   Or who you relate to.  Whatever, that's life.  At the end of the day, MP's new band or his sons band will still need to be able to stand on their own and the music will determine that, not their relationships.  But MP's earned the respect and until people lose interest, there's no reason to suggest he and his future band haven't earned a spot at such an event.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: April 24, 2017, 09:19:16 AM »

I agree. MP has been very consistent with his musical output over the years, but he has made some "bad"/not good enough albums/bands. What If you were booking CTTE and heard there's a new Portnoy/Russell Allen project coming. You know MP is a great drummer and had been in DT for 25 years, and Russell is one of the best singers in the genere, the outcome should be great, shouldn't it? Well, here's two words for you: Adrenaline Mob.
Reality is that this just got booked because MP will draw crowds no matter what he does (good or not).

Same happened with Next to None, Mike's son's band. Not saying they're bad or that they don't deserve the recognition they get, I actually like a couple of their songs, but let's be honest here and admit that they only got this big so fast because one of themembers' last name is Portnoy and their debut album had MP producing, and guest spots by Neal Morse and Bumblefoot. Tell me of any other teenage metal band that can get signed to Inside Out and can get Neal Morse to appear for their first album.

But "good" is subjective; personally, I think all his output post DT is excellent EXCEPT for Adrenaline Mob, and it's not prog.  You wouldn't book him for AMob on a prog show.  You might a metal show, and in that context, who's to say it's "bad"?   The same fans that listen to Neal Morse solo stuff are possibly not listening to Mike in Twisted Sister, either.   

As for the latter, well, it's not as if "Portnoy" is the first one to have this happen to them.  Do you think Sean Lennon or Julian Lennon haven't gotten some benefit of the doubt?  This is not a new phenomenon. 

Lemme turn this around a little bit:  you're a promoter.  You've got $35,000 to book a band, and you have 4,000 tickets to sell.   You don't sell at least 3,000, you're underwater, and you can't pay the bands on the bill and the support crew.   You get two calls from band managers:  one is for "Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress" and the other is for "Johnny Penis and the Erections".   Which do you hire?  Even if the known name results in 50 more tickets, it's still that much less you are at risk.   I'm more bugged not by Portnoy's name recognition, but by these packaged tours that have Great White, Warrant, Quiet Riot and Ratt, and there isn't one original singer on the bill.   it's the same phenomena, though; the promoter, with hard money on the line, has to put bodies in the venue, and if having a recognizable name does that, so be it.

(And to your point about newer bands, likely affords them MORE opportunity as openers than if there was no show at all.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:24:33 AM by Stadler »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #509 on: April 24, 2017, 09:32:39 AM »
Lemme turn this around a little bit:  you're a promoter.  You've got $35,000 to book a band, and you have 4,000 tickets to sell.   You don't sell at least 3,000, you're underwater, and you can't pay the bands on the bill and the support crew.   You get two calls from band managers:  one is for "Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress" and the other is for "Johnny Penis and the Erections".   Which do you hire? 
I don't know.  Is the venue on or near a college campus?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #510 on: April 24, 2017, 03:05:59 PM »

Lemme turn this around a little bit:  you're a promoter.  You've got $35,000 to book a band, and you have 4,000 tickets to sell.   You don't sell at least 3,000, you're underwater, and you can't pay the bands on the bill and the support crew.   You get two calls from band managers:  one is for "Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress" and the other is for "Johnny Penis and the Erections".   Which do you hire?   

You book the one with um...growth potential.

:neverusethis:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:16:05 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #511 on: April 24, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »

Don't worry about Boston, it's not a big college town.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: April 25, 2017, 09:00:33 AM »

Any Spinal Tap reference is a good Spinal Tap reference, if you ask me. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: April 26, 2017, 08:40:24 AM »

Any Spinal Tap reference is a good Spinal Tap reference, if you ask me.

:rollin I was just watching this last night, great line

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #514 on: April 27, 2017, 02:55:45 AM »
He should just call it Supergroup and be done with it. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #515 on: April 27, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »
MPS, and start enumerating them.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: June 09, 2017, 08:04:12 AM »
I don't know if I believe that he won't play DT songs. Whether he does or not doesn't really matter to me. It's good he is busy with other stuff though.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #518 on: June 09, 2017, 08:12:21 AM »
Yeah we were taking about that quote in the Shattered Fortress show thread. Like I said there, my assumption is that he means he won't put together another project to specifically cover DT, but he will still play DT songs with other projects like FC or whatever.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #519 on: June 09, 2017, 08:35:23 AM »
Yeah we were taking about that quote in the Shattered Fortress show thread. Like I said there, my assumption is that he means he won't put together another project to specifically cover DT, but he will still play DT songs with other projects like FC or whatever.

Yeah, there's no way MP is going to do a prog metal group and not play a few DT songs. I am with you -- he won't do a show solely comprised of DT material again is likely what he meant.

I fully expect this new prog metal group to play its entire new record (on headline shows) with a few covers, including select Dream Theater songs.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #520 on: June 09, 2017, 08:41:03 AM »
^For sure.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #521 on: June 09, 2017, 08:44:59 AM »
I suspect that what others have said will happen is right.  But as far as what he "meant," I'm not sure he specifically meant anything.  That quote was taken from a larger interview, and he just made that comment off the cuff in the context of making a completely different point.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a spur of the moment thing that slipped out of his mouth without him thinking through what he was saying.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: June 09, 2017, 03:04:45 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a spur of the moment thing that slipped out of his mouth without him thinking through what he was saying.

I always thought MP was someone who was not loose and fast with what they said, as he is someone who is well aware of how words can be taken out of context.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #523 on: June 09, 2017, 03:30:58 PM »
:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: June 09, 2017, 03:32:16 PM »
And any slip of the tongue can be easily corrected lickety split with furious backpedalling and a smiley face.